HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:46 PM

I was just cycling on this road this morning, appreciating the fresh smooth pavement, thinking they should've paved the shoulders for bike lanes... and had the same thought that the Granite intersection looks unsafe. It doesn't help that the current bike lanes on McLaughlin end right at a blind hill...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 12:59 PM

Looks like the suspected "medical building" by the highway on Price St is the future home of Mapleton Pharmacy.

https://www.facebook.com/amicoconstr...type=3&theater

I also found a rendering:

http://www.reflectarchitecture.com/mapleton-pharmacy/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks.

This just seems like an utterly bizarre location for a retail pharmacy. Price Street will lead into the new Caledonia business park on the south side of the TCH. Price Street itself is primarily an access road, not a thoroughfare. There is also essentially no nearby residential, and the closest major arterial (Elmwood Drive) is about a km away from where this pharmacy is being built. The only visibility is from highway traffic passing by on the TCH.

Locating a retail pharmacy here is suicidal IMHO.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

It would be, except I wouldn't consider Mapleton Pharmacy "retail". They barely keep any over-the-counter products on store shelves at their current location. They do take prescription walk-in's. But from what I understand, they specialize in sterile pharmaceutical preparations.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

This just seems like an utterly bizarre location for a retail pharmacy. Price Street will lead into the new Caledonia business park on the south side of the TCH. Price Street itself is primarily an access road, not a thoroughfare. There is also essentially no nearby residential, and the closest major arterial (Elmwood Drive) is about a km away from where this pharmacy is being built. The only visibility is from highway traffic passing by on the TCH.

Do you know what else is going into the building? According to the facebook link, it's 2 floors with an elevator shaft being built. Other medical services?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Do you know what else is going into the building? According to the facebook link, it's 2 floors with an elevator shaft being built. Other medical services?
I know there's a hormone therapy clinic (https://wellnurturemd.com) occupying some office space at their current location. Maybe they will follow.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeshio View Post
Looks like the suspected "medical building" by the highway on Price St is the future home of Mapleton Pharmacy.

https://www.facebook.com/amicoconstr...type=3&theater

I also found a rendering:

http://www.reflectarchitecture.com/mapleton-pharmacy/
I wonder what prompted them to build in this very inconvenient location. Maybe some development incentive from the city?

Looks like quite a nice building though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a rendering of the previously reported ReCar dealership to be built on Elmwood, on the east side, between Granite and the TCH.

site plan:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:23 AM

I know people are talking about the odd pharmacy choice but this location for a used car dealership is way dumber imo. I don't know about you guys but the last thing I tell myself when driving in probably the heaviest traffic in town is 'Why don't I drop by to check out some used cars?'...

The scrapped Big Stop plans would have made traffic even worse but it made sense for an area like this and had synergy with the rest of the area but a used car dealership...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:21 PM
I Rise Again

Rumor Alert:
Whether it's true or not, and perhaps it doesn't make any difference at all......, but I heard that it's a high end car dealership, used or new. Still an awkward place like you said though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Rumor Alert:
Whether it's true or not, and perhaps it doesn't make any difference at all......, but I heard that it's a high end car dealership, used or new. Still an awkward place like you said though.
https://www.recar.ca/

Newer used vehicles with (usually) really low miles. Not just high end makes/models.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:59 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
https://www.recar.ca/

Newer used vehicles with (usually) really low miles. Not just high end makes/models.
Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:50 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I know people are talking about the odd pharmacy choice but this location for a used car dealership is way dumber imo. I don't know about you guys but the last thing I tell myself when driving in probably the heaviest traffic in town is 'Why don't I drop by to check out some used cars?'...

The scrapped Big Stop plans would have made traffic even worse but it made sense for an area like this and had synergy with the rest of the area but a used car dealership...
I mean, pharmasave couldn’t make it and it’s still sitting vacent and it was by the university?? I know Costco is close now, but I don’t think it will be any better than pharmasave?? Time will tell I guess.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 2:57 AM

they really need to take a hard look at the development on elmwood/irishtown rd and stop and plan it correctly or its going to be the next north end. They need to stop direct street access in this area its busy enough. Can't want to see traffic leaving costco.. stuck behind someone trying to turn left into a used car dealership.

Irishtown rd was busy enough before costco came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
they really need to take a hard look at the development on elmwood/irishtown rd and stop and plan it correctly or its going to be the next north end.
I grew up in Irishtown then moved to Pine Tree in 2001 before this all started and already then it was getting busy before I moved again so I can't imagine how insane it is now with the new developments like those on Saffron, Baron Heights, etc.

They need to widen McLaughlin and make it a viable 2nd option into Irishtown and if you ask me they also need to look at the 3rd option of Mapleton being extended to Ammon- which is another road that needs widening and to be made safer.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Accident prompts call for traffic lights near new Moncton Costco
Resident says traffic, speed, and poor visibility make McLaughlin Road-Granite Drive intersection unsafe
Vanessa Blanch · CBC News · Posted: Aug 22, 2019 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

We saw this coming on this forum.

A "backdoor" into Granite Drive and the new Costco was necessary for access and safety issues, but the city did the connection to McLaughlin on the cheap. McLaughlin beyond the TCH is little more than a cowpath (in poor repair), and dumping all this traffic onto that street was bound to be problematic. McLaughlin needs to be widened, repaved and curbed to just beyond Granite, and the province should be expediting a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange to boot.

As the Granite Centre builds out, this problem will only get worse...........
It looked like all summer they were getting ready to make a turning lane off McLaughlin onto Granite, but it never came to be...this could have helped with some of the speed issues when coming over that hill and someone slows rapidly to turn into Granite.
Granite itself from McLaughlin to Costco is already starting to look "worn" and desperately needs a second layer of asphalt.
Like someone else said the trees on the right corner coming out of Granite onto McLaughlin need to be trimmed back, this is a flood plane there though so it may need more work once the trees are gone.

To me McLaughlin needs to be completely repaved from Morton/Connaught intersection all the way to granite, it's miserable to drive on. Also the sidewalks and bike lanes need extending to at least just past Granite.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:13 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
It looked like all summer they were getting ready to make a turning lane off McLaughlin onto Granite, but it never came to be...this could have helped with some of the speed issues when coming over that hill and someone slows rapidly to turn into Granite.
Granite itself from McLaughlin to Costco is already starting to look "worn" and desperately needs a second layer of asphalt.
Like someone else said the trees on the right corner coming out of Granite onto McLaughlin need to be trimmed back, this is a flood plane there though so it may need more work once the trees are gone.

To me McLaughlin needs to be completely repaved from Morton/Connaught intersection all the way to granite, it's miserable to drive on. Also the sidewalks and bike lanes need extending to at least just past Granite.
I’m not really sure who is in charge of moncton town planning, but seriously, maybe they can learn from Dieppe and even Riverview on how to plan out roads and whatnot. Dieppe has worked hard to connect a number of roads with proper lighting and realign roads. But moncton continues to do the same thing over and over. Look at shediac road for instance. Again they rebuild the lights at scott st and vista drive to have a cross walk only and even at the end of the road, there were originally plans (I think) to connect the end of shediac road into the traffic circle but that never came to be. Whoever does it now, needs to start thinking about the future.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:29 PM

Does anyone know if a location has been chosen for the new K-8 francophone school in Moncton?

I've heard from multiple (but semi-reliable) sources that it would be built somewhere around McLaughlin and is expected to open in 2020. I've also heard that L'Odysée would take over the part of the school where Mascaret is currently located. Perhaps the new school will also be called Mascaret?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It will be built on Leopold Belliveau, close to Le Mascaret/l'Odyssee, and I believe on the other side of the street from the current schools.

Maybe one of the other forumers knows more than me.........

I don't know anything about the construction timeframe, but a 2020 opening sounds pretty ambitious.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:

I don't know anything about the construction timeframe, but a 2020 opening sounds pretty ambitious.
Sorry, that was a mistake on my part. I meant to say 2022!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces