HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 3:34 PM

LONDON: Sports thread

A thread to talk about local sports teams and events.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I propose that Labatt Park start selling beer (fer crissakes) during London Major's games. I would be there, if they did.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:43 AM
Londoner

Local Baseball History

Five Got Milk? commercials shot at Labatt Park in September of 2005

THE FOLLOWING FIVE, 30-second Got Milk? commercials (now on YouTube) were filmed at Labatt Park (and the London Majors dressing room and Central Library) during September of 2005 and aired stateside during the World Series of 2005, causing a major controversy, whereby Major League Baseball (MLB) demanded that they be taken off the air.
The popular commercials continued to air and the controversy attracted newspaper coverage coast-to-coast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia (Labatt Park): Got Milk? commercials spoof MLB steroid use
In late September 2005, the San Francisco advertising firm of Goodby, Silverstein & Partners filmed a series of five, 30-second Got Milk? TV-commercials at Labatt Park, that subsequently ran during post-season play of Major League Baseball (MLB), starting on October 11.

The commercials, which spoofed the ongoing steroid scandal in MLB had players "caught" using a "performance-enhancing substance" -- milk. The commercials were titled "Caught," "Batting Practice," "Tabloid," "Never Poured" and "Manager." The commercial "Never Poured" was shortlisted at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:51 AM
I am a typical

So... How about them (insert nickname of local popular sports team here)?

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 1:13 AM

Knights? They were creamed by the Spitfires thank you very much. Actually, that was probably one of the better series in OHL history.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 2:23 AM
Londoner

New baseball fan works to grow the sport

London Majors

Anna Gladysz played some baseball in elementary school, but wasn’t a big fan of the game and actually wasn’t really into sports at all.

These days though, Anna, 27, has not only become involved in the local sports scene as a member of the London Sports Council – and even coaching her son Nickolas’s T-ball team last year – but she has also become a big fan of baseball.

And while her son’s interest in baseball is one reason for her change of heart – the six-year-old is even trying out for a competitive team this year – working for the London Majors has made a pretty big difference too.

Anna is entering her third season as marketing manager for the Majors who are busily preparing for the new Intercounty Baseball League season, which begins for the defending league pennant winners in Hamilton this Sunday, May 10. The team’s home opener at Labatt Park takes place next Sunday, May 17, in a rematch against Hamilton.

For Anna, working with the Majors has not only helped make her a baseball fan, but also given her the opportunity to grow as a business professional as well.

“Now I really get into a baseball game, I love watching it. I truly appreciate the game,” she says. “I can sit there and try and figure out the moves, what’s going on, what’s going to happen next. It’s fascinating.

“But the work too has really been a tremendous opportunity for me. I love doing my job. Really, I don’t even consider it a job. Every night I put my son to bed and get to work, making phone calls, sending emails, there’s so much to do.”

That busy schedule has proven to be a great classroom for a young woman who has no formal schooling in marketing. “There’s so much to learn, so much I want to do. Not having the marketing background (Anna is thinking of taking some courses at Fanshawe College) I have learned so much working with Roop and Scott (team co-owners Roop Chanderdat and Scott Dart). My background in sales helps, but really this is the best possible classroom for me, working with them, working for this team.”

Anna’s efforts haven’t gone unnoticed by the owners of the team.

“Anna’s really been tremendous,” says Roop, who adds Anna’s lack of experience didn’t bother him in the least. “She brings an enthusiasm and professionalism to the job. She’s so eager; she gets involved in the community. She really gets out name out there.

“I like to give people an opportunity to those who maybe aren’t as experienced, but are willing to learn on the job. Anyone who can handle the workload, who wants to learn and do a good job, you have to give that person a chance.”

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

Anna has been in London for 20 years after her parents decided to leave Poland looking for better opportunities in Canada. After a short time in Italy while waiting for the family’s paperwork to get finished, Anna came to London as a seven-year-old and soon learned things in Canada were a little different.

“I was in Grade 3 when we came to London,” she says. “I don’t remember too much about that time, but mostly I remember school was fun and I met a ton of kids. I had already learned a lot of the stuff we were taking in Grade 3 while going to school in Europe, so I had a lot of fun in Grade 3. Everything there was so disciplined. Here, there was a lot more free time.”

Anna would go on to high school at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School before enrolling at Fanshawe College in general arts and science. She eventually took a marketing job at Costco, a position that put her in contact with Roop and Scott, as Costco was a team sponsor at the time.

When Scott was facing some serious health issues a few years ago, Anna was approached to become involved with the team. “I thought it was a great opportunity; I just jumped in and helped out. It was my own personal time, it’s not like I get paid for working for the team, but what I get out of it is so important.”

Anna says it is a challenge she has grown to enjoy.

“There are so many aspects to my job, finding sponsorships for the team, planning group dates with major companies, schools, other groups. The marketing aspect of what I do is important for the team, so I have to go out and show companies there is value to advertising at Labatt Park.”

Fundraising opportunities is another option Anna puts out to organizations across the community.

“Fundraising is a big thing. Whether it’s a company or an organization or a school. Fifty per cent of what they sell in terms of tickets, they get to keep. We’ve booked 10 or 12 schools this year for that,” Anna says. “Tamara Chapman has been helping with that, with group sales. We’ve really put a focus on schools. We have a daytime game this year, Tuesday, June 16, which we are calling the School Getaway Game. We are hoping for a big turnout for that. There really are just so many opportunities.”

At a time when the economy is making lives difficult for so many Londoners, Anna says the Majors are no different in that Intercounty baseball is not exactly a huge moneymaking enterprise to begin with.

However, Anna is quick to add the team’s success on the field is helping her promote the London Majors off the field.

“I do feel the pressure. But frankly I would be more worried if we hadn’t had such a successful season last year. That has us all excited about this season. And really I think the community is excited about baseball,” Anna says. “Even as successful as the team has been, a lot of people just don’t know about us. We really appreciate what we have with Labatt Park, a tremendous place to watch a baseball game.”

IF YOU WANT TO GO

¦ London Majors play their home games at Labatt Park. Admission is $6 for adults, $4 for children under 12 and seniors. Group rates are $4 for adults and $2 for children under 12 and seniors. For more information visit www.londonmajors.com.

HOME SCHEDULE

Sunday, May 17, 1 p.m. vs. Hamilton

Friday, May 22, 7:30 p.m. vs. Mississauga

Sunday, May 24, 1 p.m. vs. Guelph

Friday, May 29, 7:30 p.m. vs. Kitchener

Friday, June 5, 7:30 p.m. vs. Guelph

Friday, June 12, 7:30 p.m. vs. Brantford

Tuesday, June 16, 11 a.m. vs. Mississauga

Sunday, June 21, 1 p.m. vs. Brantford

Friday, June 26, 7:30 p.m. vs. Guelph

Sunday, June 28, 1 p.m. (doubleheader) vs. Barrie

Wednesday, July 1, 4 p.m. (doubleheader) vs. Toronto

Sunday, July 5, 1 p.m. (doubleheader) vs. Oshawa

Friday, July 10, 7:30 p.m. vs. Kitchener

Friday, July 17, 7:30 p.m. vs. Kitchener

Friday, July 24, 7:30 p.m. vs. Hamilton

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 4:24 AM
Londoner

Majors want beer at Labatt Park

Fri, May 8, 2009

Beer and baseball -- they go together like movies and popcorn.

But no matter how hot and humid London gets during baseball season, you can't tip back a brewskie at a ball game here.

Not yet, anyway.

The London Majors have applied to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario for a liquor licence, hoping to serve beer in historic Labatt Park this season.

If the licence is granted, it will be the first time in more than five years -- since the Canadian Baseball League's London Monarchs folded in 200 * -- that game-goers will be able to partake in a pint.

"The one thing we're missing is the beer," said Majors co-owner and president Scott Dart. "We want to see if we can get (the licence) so people can have a cold beverage on a hot, sunny day."

The licence application requires the Majors to seek public comment until May 28. The commission's ruling will follow. The Majors home opener is May 17.

The Majors, of the Intercounty Baseball League, have played under various names in Labatt Park since 1925. They're considered an amateur baseball team so they can't automatically get a liquor licence to serve beer.

"We run our team like a minor pro-team," Dart said.

The team has outlasted three professional teams -- the Class AA London Tigers, the independent Frontier League Werewolves and the Canadian Baseball League's London Monarchs.

The team plays 15 home games, many on Friday nights.

The franchise, owned by Dart since 2004, has been building a fan base and has been trying to attract families, Dart said.

The team wants to attract more fans.

"We don't want to turn away from the families. They've been integral to our growth," Dart said.

But, "lots of people have told us they'd love it if we served beer."

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 2:13 AM

Labatt Park + beer = no-brainer

That said, and no offense to the Majors, "The one thing we're missing is the beer" might be a slight overstatement.

"This constant bickering is going to put me in a coma!"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 3:44 AM
Londoner

Soccer facility hit with setback

Tue, June 23, 2009

City Hall

The world's fastest-growing sport hit a speed bump yesterday when London politicians put off backing an Optimists-built indoor soccer facility, a delay the charitable group says threatens the entire project.

"I hope it's not going to put our project in jeopardy," said Tom Partalas, president of the London Optimist Sports Centre.

The centre is an inflatable dome the group wants to replace with a larger, all-season structure at its site on Cuddy Blvd.

The Optimists were prepared to put up more than $3.5 million to build a 93,500-sq.-ft. building and have applied for $2 million in stimulus money from the federal and Ontario governments, money the group says is at risk unless the city commits to the rest, $1.15 million.

"If the city is not 100% behind us, how is the federal government going to view it?" Partalas said.

Politicians on the city's community and protective services committee had nothing but praise for the previous efforts of the Optimists.

But they were decidedly split over how to support the new venture financially, several saying they're concerned about building a permanent soccer facility in the middle of an industrial park and adjacent to land bought by a company that wants to build a biogas plant to turn organic waste into electricity.

A large soccer facility could deter companies, including the one behind a biogas plant, from using land in the industrial park, Controller Tom Gosnell said. "The last thing (companies) would want to do is be accused of wrecking the health of London youth," he said.

That tension between uses was evident earlier this year when the Optimists, not sure if they'd qualify for stimulus funds, asked city hall for help to build a larger but still temporary dome. Some city money was committed but how much was in debate yesterday, with politicians saying it was limited to $500,000 out-of-pocket and the Optimists saying it had been for $1.15 million

But even the costlier commitment is a bargain for Londoners, Coun. David Winninger said.

The city would be paying a small fraction of a $6.5-million soccer facility, the Optimists, who have already bought 2.4 hectares of adjacent land, would pay all operating costs, and twice as many people would be able to use it since it would be open year-round.

"They're offering us incredible service for the money," Winninger said.

But rather than backing the $1.15 million request now, Gosnell, along with councilors Bill Armstrong and Paul Van Meerbergen, referred the request to staff to sort out how it would be funded and what effect a permanent soccer facility might have on the proposed biogas plant.

Staff will report back to the committee July 20.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 1:58 AM
Londoner

Optimists promised $2M for soccer dome

RECREATION: It's part of city's final chunk of stimulus cash

London Optimists have been promised $2 million in stimulus money to build an indoor soccer facility, but it remains to be seen if city hall will be onside.

That uncertainty was the only cloud on recreation plans yesterday as senior governments gave city hall and local groups what will be the last chunk of $14 million in stimulus cash.

The $6.5-million soccer facility would be the third of its kind in Ontario and would come at a bargain price for local taxpayers: Optimists have asked for $1.15 million from city hall and not a dime to run the place.

But some city politicians fear it could cramp industrial growth around the site, including a proposed biogas plant.

"I have a lot of concerns," said Coun. Harold Usher, who chairs the city's community and protective services committee. "It's smack in the middle of an industrial area."

Planned to be built at the site of an existing inflatable dome run by the Optimists on Cuddy Boulevard, the building would be open year-round and have a full size soccer field that could be used as three indoor fields.

"It's going to put London on the map for indoor sports," said Tom Partalas, president of the London Optimist Sports Centre. "We want to build a facility the city can be proud of."

City hall has committed $500,000 to the building and Optimists have asked an exemption to development charges that would cost another $615,000.

In comparison, Optimists are spending $3.5 million to build the place and are paying to operate it, too.

"We're saving the city a lot of money," Partalas said.

East London has a greater need for recreation, especially for children, than it does a biogas plant, he said.

"It might be better for the (biogas) company to look elsewhere," Partalas said.

Earlier this year, city staff recommended changing zoning to allow the biogas facility subject to it to meet regulatory requirements. But politicians, in the face of community opposition, put off a decision.

The doubt about the last piece of city funding didn't dampen the mood of Bill Coxhead, the city's parks director.

The city received stimulus cash for 19 of 20 recreation projects that will boost construction and improve access to play, sports and community, he said.

"It's an amazing investment in our neighbourhoods," he said.

Also thrilled were MPs Ed Holder (London West) and Irene Mathyssen (London-Fanshawe).

"It's never wrong when you make an investment in kids," Holder said.

The soccer facility especially will be wonderful for residents of East London, Mathyssen said.

"(We) needs this kind of place for our kids (and) to boost our community," she said.

City hall received nearly $12 million in recreation funding, while community groups such as the Optimists, the YMCA and the Boys' and Girls' Club received about $4 million.

The debate

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:44 AM

Congratulations to our London-area forumers for producing these two sweethearts (Virtue and Moir) for the Olympic games. They are a huge hit here in Vancouver. You guys make Canada proud for sure! The atmosphere was truly electrifying during their medal-winning performance and well into the night.

I really enjoyed their Flamenco performance. They really nailed that one.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Congratulations to our London-area forumers for producing these two sweethearts (Virtue and Moir) for the Olympic games.
Although I'm a London-area forumer I'm not taking any personal credit for them.

I like the temporary name change of the community of Ilderton to Moirville.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Galen Weston might take credit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Galen Weston might take credit.
Coming March 1st...

Hi, I'm Galen Weston. Did you know that Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue ate nothing except President's Choice Blue Menu products in the seven days preceding their gold medal performance in Vancouver? Now you can win gold too by eating from my blue menu...but don't forget, you are Canadian, don't give me too much credit!!! Why don't you give a little credit to Rona? Or Coca-Cola? Or Bell?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:35 AM
Londoner

Optimists kick off fundraising for soccer

The service club is committed to cover more than half the multimillion-dollar cost of the facility

A $10 million project started last July is taking shape.
Play VideoThe vision of the London Optimists is taking shape and it’s no doubt a sight to behold for the city’s swelling population of soccer players.

The non-profit group’s ­multimillion-dollar indoor soccer centre is s expected to open in May as perhaps the biggest complex of its kind in the country.

Amid the construction, the Optimists are also building a fundraising campaign they hope will offset the costs of a project they’re certain will please Londoners — kids and adults alike — for decades.

“It looks like a dream come true,” Tom Partalas, the sports centre’s president, said Friday as he toured the 100,000-square-foot complex. “We’ve never had anything like this in London.”

The Optimists do run a more humble indoor “soccer dome” on Cuddy Blvd. in east London.

The city essentially took that airport-area land in exchange for the plot on Rectory St., beside Western Fair, where the huge new soccer mecca is being built.

City hall put $2.1 million toward the project. Another $2 million is coming from the provincial and federal governments. The Optimists, though, put up the largest chunk — nearly $5 million.

So from city hall’s perspective, it cost them $2.1 million to give London’s soccer players a centre worth nearly five times that.

And the Optimists are also running the place, meaning operational costs to taxpayers will be zero.

At 100,000 square feet, the site will have one regulation-size field or four smaller pitches separated by netting.

The Optimists — perhaps at their least optimistic — expect 300,000 kids, adults and spectators to pass through annually. But that number could hit 500,000.

They also want to build a ­walking/running track on the perimeter, but its cost has the Optimists in fundraising mode.

The plan includes selling naming rights: $100,000 to put a name on a field, for example, or $10,000 for a dressing room. The entire complex’s name — now called the London Optimist Sports Centre — is also for sale, for $1.5 million.

Smaller donations are also sought. Anyone looking to donate can contact Tim Gatten at 519-852-2656. “It’s a legacy people can leave,” he said.

Soccer has

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:49 AM
Londoner

Basketball team in London?

Mill Rats hoops boss encouraged by talks

The Saint John Mill Rats GM and president Ian McCarthy said a meeting with officials in London exceeded expectations.

He was in London along with the Halifax Rainmen's Andre Levingston, that team's owner, president and CEO, for a meeting with a prospective ownership group in London, Ont., Wednesday. They also met with city officials and management from London's main arena, the John Labatt Centre.

It represented the latest development as the Mill Rats, Rainmen and Quebec Kebs look to establish a new place to play after leaving the Premier Basketball League earlier this month.

"The city is very excited about the idea of having a professional basketball team," McCarthy said.

The London ownership group, he said, has a solid foundation.

"They are very solid. We're not able to disclose their identity at this point," McCarthy said.

The trip to London, he said, was the first that went beyond his group just looking at a map and deciding which markets could support a basketball team based on how saturated the market was with other franchises.

"This was actual real people who gave us great feedback."

The Mill Rats, Rainmen and the Quebec Kebs left the PBL last week after concerns over playoff officiating. The three teams formed a united front and are now deciding what league they'll play in next season.

There are four options currently on the table - joining an existing league such as the Atlantic Coast Professional Basketball League, the International Basketball League or the National Basketball Association's Development League. The fourth option is the creation of a Canadian professional basketball league.

Moncton has also been pegged as a possible home to a franchise.

Three ownerships groups, he said, were actually interested in the London market. The strongest of the three groups will get first crack at the London market and the other two have expressed interest in placing teams in other Ontario cities.

"That hasn't been pegged as far as where, what. It's still very (much) in (its) infancy stage."

McCarthy will fly back to Saint John today, but Levingston will stay in Ontario and investigate markets in Kingston, Windsor and Oshawa.

The future of the three teams and a Canadian league is expected to be announced in the second week of May.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:33 AM
Londoner

Best sports bar may be coming to London!!!!!

No. 1 suds hole eyes London

The best sports bar in North America — as judged by ESPN — just may be coming to London.

Real Sports Bar and Grill, the massive downtown Toronto bar near the Air Canada Centre, is looking at locating a bar in downtown London, said Bob Hunter, executive vice-president venues and entertainment for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

“We plan on expanding to more than one site and London is one of the sites we are looking at. I would say it is a top candidate,” Hunter said.

A decision will be made this summer and if it lands here it will be big. MLSE would like a 16,000-square-foot venue, large enough to host 600 people, a 32-by-50-foot TV and an adjacent retail store selling sports apparel.

“We have a wow factor when you first walk in,” they will try to replicate here, Hunter added.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is looking to add five to seven bars across Canada eventually but wants the first close to the ACC, “so we can manage it” from Toronto, he said.

“We have to get the right financial deal in place, but we love the London market. We think it is great,” he said pointing to a large student population, support for the London Knights hockey team and a vibrant bar scene, as proof the city can accommodate it.

As for a location, Hunter declined comment on where it is looking but rumours point to King and Talbot streets as a possible site.

The bar may act as a draw for some visitors to London, said John Winston, director Tourism London, but he wondered whether the core could sustain the massive venture.

“I would think they would have to pack it in every night to be sustainable,” said Winston. “We do not have events every night at the JLC — 600 people may be a stretch.”

By comparison Joe Kool’s was about 3,000 square feet when it opened, owner Mike Smith said.

“I have heard they are coming and it would be good for downtown, anything that will keep downtown vital is good for this city,” Smith said.

As for fearing competition, “I am not afraid of anything,” he said.

In 2010 the U.S. sports network ESPN held a contest looking for the best sports bar in America, and when the Real Sports Bar and Grill in Toronto won it, it had to change the name of the contest.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

unsustainable...but if it puts friday nite lite out of business, I am all for it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
unsustainable...but if it puts friday nite lite out of business, I am all for it.
Poor Mr.Best: an innocent victim of a vicious smear campaign I tell you!

It's all part of a big conspiracy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation