HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
One big benefit is that the city did all the road work around it, which was done for the original development. That is one thing no longer standing in the way.
True. All that work was done to prepare for the previously proposed 12 floor project. In retrospect, it's now worked out better that the original developer decided to sell the property.

Now we get an 18 storey building replacing a vacant patch of broken asphalt, and more people living downtown. Maybe downtown Moncton will eventually be able to recapture some of it's lost vibrancy.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 3:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
7.6 Public Hearing – Rezoning at Botsford St, Victoria St, Wesley St. (St. Bernards Square)
From the city council agenda for tonight's meeting. It does not say anything about objections being received. Usually the public hearing is immediately followed by 2nd and 3rd readings, so, we may knw the final fate of this project tonight.

I am highly optimistic.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From the city council agenda for tonight's meeting. It does not say anything about objections being received. Usually the public hearing is immediately followed by 2nd and 3rd readings, so, we may knw the final fate of this project tonight.

I am highly optimistic.
I am excited for this one. More so now that it's upgraded in height!

more of these, please!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Moncton punts major subdivision decision, sees plans for 18-storey tower downtown
Housing proposals, policies dominate first city council meeting of 2024
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Jan 16, 2024 8:28 AM AST | Last Updated: 18 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sing-1.7084277

This is a project that I've been high on ever since is was first announced as a 12 floor building - even more so now that it's 18 storeys. It will be a major addition to the downtown, as another shabby vacant lot disappears.

At 181 units, it can only help downtown businesses. It will be interesting to see what occupies the commercial space in the podium. Sooner or later we'll have to see an urban style grocery store somewhere downtown.

What would also be great is if a developer would purchase and develop the vacant lot across from St. Bernard's church. With 55 Queen, there would be a nice little cluster of buildings/residents in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:03 PM

Hope there are no issues with tonight's meeting!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
Hope there are no issues with tonight's meeting!
A few minor questions tonight at the council meeting, nothing major. Motion carried unanimously.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
A few minor questions tonight at the council meeting, nothing major. Motion carried unanimously.
Nice!! Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This quote is from the CBC article about the city council meeting:

Quote:
The vote to rezone the land passed unanimously. Last month, planning staff said the builder hopes to begin construction this year and complete it within two years.
So, there you have it, we should have a tower crane on site by the fall. I wonder which tower crane will be erected first? St.Bernard Place or the Infinity Tower???

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So, there you have it, we should have a tower crane on site by the fall. I wonder which tower crane will be erected first? St.Bernard Place or the Infinity Tower???

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:25 PM

Quote:

Given that we have the developer of St. Bernard providing us a reasonable timeline commencing as soon as they can, plus the sheer size difference, my bets are on St. Bernard. That said, I do hope Infinity starts this year as well.

Last edited by new kid in town; Feb 21, 2024 at 1:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
If there is a race, there will be a third contender - the ASEC, which should have a tower crane by later this spring.

I am concerned about the ASEC however. I have heard rumours that they had to go back to the drawing board for some engineering diagrams, and the project might be further delayed. The REAL race here is for construction to get started on the ASEC ASAP so that progress on the complex is so far advanced by the time of the upcoming election that Poillievre can't cancel it.

I have a gut feeling PP will shut this project down immediately after taking power. It is a pet project of Dominic LeBlanc, located in a Liberal bastion, is very expensive and could easily be portrayed as blatant porkbarrelling and another Liberal boondoggle. The ASEC is very vulnerable.

If there are any more delays in construction, or, if the Liberal minority falls early, then ASEC will be seriously imperilled. This is the race to watch...............

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:

There was an excavator at the ICON site yesterday moving earth around. Could that be prep work for a tower crane?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:

Well I did mention there was an excavator on site @ Infinity - could it be for anything other than a tower crane?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see work commencing on St. Bernard Square very quickly...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 2:24 AM

Any updates on this project ? Can't wait to see who wins the ''race''

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 11:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMonctonEnjoyr View Post
Any updates on this project ? Can't wait to see who wins the ''race''
No updates, and, I would not expect to even see survey sticks in the ground until May. The developer intends to proceed this year.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
No updates, and, I would not expect to even see survey sticks in the ground until May. The developer intends to proceed this year.
That's what city staff told council recently, and that the developer says the build will take about two years. I'm excited for this one. Another unsightly vacant lot downtown will disappear.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces