HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
If that property location becomes an issue with nimby's then St Bernard will be even worse!
This is why this group is potentially so dangerous. Their demands for a 15 storey height limit in the downtown will affect not only Infinity, but also St. Bernard Square, Ashford/Downing and One Foundry.

If they win, it would stunt, defer and/or thwart important projects all over downtown Moncton.

They cannot be allowed to prevail!!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:19 PM

Even these nimbys get a petition with numbers.. the city can accept it and file it.
They're not required to bend or break to the demands of these nimbys.

Right???

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Even these nimbys get a petition with numbers.. the city can accept it and file it.
They're not required to bend or break to the demands of these nimbys.

Right???
Amazingly, they (the city) didn't break with the tomato plants. However, the developer shockingly did.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
Amazingly, they (the city) didn't break with the tomato plants. However, the developer shockingly did.
In light of this 30 floor tower, along with other potential 20 floor buildings downtown, I think the Main & Vaughan Harvey project has to be reworked. A new and more appropriate project should be initiated at this important location. A 6 storey building at such a prominent site would be a disappointment that we would have to live with for years.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:00 PM

They don't have a leg to stand on.

Will it use a Harper or Main address, I wonder.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is why this group is potentially so dangerous. Their demands for a 15 storey height limit in the downtown will affect not only Infinity, but also St. Bernard Square, Ashford/Downing and One Foundry.

If they win, it would stunt, defer and/or thwart important projects all over downtown Moncton.

They cannot be allowed to prevail!!!
They will not prevail. There is no legal standing and the city will not stunt development because of these people. Assumption building is 20 floors, Ashford plans possibly 20+, St. Bernard’s Square could be 20+, Laffords other planned development 20+. I can guarantee the city will not take this into consideration. They will listen but that’s where it will end.

I have seen the comments online and so I know the do have an online voice. I saw one person who said the area is prone to flooding and it’s to dangerous. I’ve seen people say it will destroy the flatness of Moncton and the ability to see the river. There is the group of people on there who are terrified of the WEF and what they call 15 minute cities (guarantee it’s them). Just check out the Retail NB Facebook page. They are on there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 11:42 PM

Disclaimer: Not directed personally to Monctoncore, but only with the sentiment brought up.

I don't understand. Is the "flatness" of Moncton supposed to be a good thing? If anything it tells me the city is devoid of its own character. Having landmarks (especially if the architecture is good) will give the city its flair and some urban feature befitting of a city that's growing significantly.

Not sure if relevant (and I don't mean to direct hate to certain groups) but in a francophone facebook post, some comments (coming from francos themselves) are pointing out how the anglophone post has supporters/positive replies, whereas a lot of the francophones are complaining.

I mean the city is the hub of the maritimes, I think it would be nice if the city skyline started reflecting its importance to the region.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 12:52 AM

Infinity Aerials just posted some great shots of the property. I see they cut the grass as well and there are two signs up on the property now that weren’t they’re last I drove by.

These drone photos show just how little leg those against it have to stand on.. The two properties there are an eyesore and losing them to development will only help the city.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 1:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. Here's the photo:

Infinity Aerials photo

There has certainly been some activity on the lot over the last week. As you said, the grass has been cut, a little earth has been moved and a sign has been installed. The sign is actually just a public notice of the upcoming public hearing regarding the proposed zoning change.

The Irving lot right next door is just begging to be developed as well............

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 24, 2023 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 1:41 AM

Quote:

There has certainly been some activity on the lot over the last week. As you said, the grass has been cut, a little earth has been moved and a sigh has been installed. The sign is actually just a public notice of the upcoming public hearing regarding the proposed zoning change.
Lovely shot. Can't wait to see a 30 storey building in there to welcome people into downtown

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 1:56 AM

Quote:

There has certainly been some activity on the lot over the last week. As you said, the grass has been cut, a little earth has been moved and a sign has been installed. The sign is actually just a public notice of the upcoming public hearing regarding the proposed zoning change.

The Irving lot right next door is just begging to be developed as well............
You got that right MonctonRad. How that happens, who knows.

Would Irving seeing what's happening next to them take the lead and offer their land for sale? Would a developer approach them and offer to buy it? Would the city be interested in acquiring this property?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 4:18 AM

1299 Main st / Vaughn Harvey (tomato lot). So sad. City sells this lot to developer in anticipation for a signature 10 story multi purpose building. City gives ok to proceed with 10 story project after hearing the tomato party objections. Developer chickens out or whatever is happening in the background. If developer is not going forward with 10 story, they should resell back to city. So disappointing. I saw landscape company mowing lawn on this lot couple weeks ago. In my eyes, nothing is happening here in 2023. Shut it down. #sad

Infinity. hell yeah, now we're talking! There's no way in hell city should object to this project. That's a major tax haul for the city. Major boost to downtown economy. Anything between 20-30 stories here is ok by me. Curious, the dead end Harper Lane, would the city be looking at extending this to the intersection of Superstore/Staples parking lot? Allowing Infinity residents a way out to Main? Is this part of the rezoning?

Greater Moncton population is what. somewhere around 160,000? These hardcore conspiracy theorist Facebook fools who are against masks, vaccines, anti government, know your rights, the truth is out there, anti everything are how many, a few dozens? They must be the same folks who objected the construction of the Avenir Centre. And look what happen after ribbon cutting. Yo, Mr. T called "I pity the fools"

Amazing to see what can happen in only a 5 year period.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post

Greater Moncton population is what. somewhere around 160,000? These hardcore conspiracy theorist Facebook fools who are against masks, vaccines, anti government, know your rights, the truth is out there, anti everything are how many, a few dozens? They must be the same folks who objected the construction of the Avenir Centre. And look what happen after ribbon cutting. Yo, Mr. T called "I pity the fools"

?

Tomato Lady NIMBY types are probably more likely to be quadruple boosted and still wearing an N95 than any other group I can think of. You're getting your stereotypes mixed up.

It's also a big stretch to call objection to funding a sports arena a fringe belief. There's arguments across the political spectrum on both sides of the matter and a lot of localities hold plebiscites on issues like this. Someone could, completely coherently, be extremely pro-development while opposing subsidized arena construction, or be a total NIMBY who thinks a new taxpayer-funded arena is a necessity.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Curious, the dead end Harper Lane, would the city be looking at extending this to the intersection of Superstore/Staples parking lot? Allowing Infinity residents a way out to Main? Is this part of the rezoning?
That's actually a very interesting thought BlackYear! The entrance onto Main from the Superstore is signalized, and this would certainly help with any access/egress issues from Infinity. It would also make for a handy shortcut for the 500 or so residents of this building to the Superstore Plaza. I'm sure Superstore wouldn't object. Anyone from city hall reading this???

Quote:
Greater Moncton population is what. somewhere around 160,000?
The current CMA population is more like 180,000, and may reach 200,000 by the 2026 census. The actual Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview POPCTR is probably over 130,000.

Quote:
These hardcore conspiracy theorist Facebook fools who are against masks, vaccines, anti government, know your rights, the truth is out there, anti everything are how many, a few dozens? They must be the same folks who objected the construction of the Avenir Centre. And look what happen after ribbon cutting. Yo, Mr. T called "I pity the fools"
These conspiracy theorists are just sad. How can anyone reasonably think that a few urban planning academics promoting the idea of a "15 minute city" is a sign of a world wide conspiracy led by the WEF designed to force all of us to live in tiny apartments in commie-block towers, and to make us give up our cars!!!

The truth is that there is an affordability crisis out there and the dream of SFH ownership is becoming more of a nightmare. At the same time rental vacancies are virtually non existent. New rental housing is needed now. Downtown living is an increasingly viable option for younger professionals (especially if they are currently childless), and, is increasingly an option for retirees planning on downsizing. The idea they might be able to fulfill all their needs within a 15 minute walk is just a bonus. This means that they can conduct most of their daily lives without having to use a car. Nobody is forcing these people to give up their vehicles. It is just becoming a viable option (and a way to cut down expenses).

There is no conspiracy!!! This is just a natural progression of events given our current economic circumstances.

Quote:
The next five years will be very interesting..........

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
?
Tomato Lady NIMBY types are probably more likely to be quadruple boosted and still wearing an N95 than any other group I can think of. You're getting your stereotypes mixed up.
Around here there's a lot of overlap between the exact types of people BlackYear described, and the loud minority who are the most outspoken against urban high-rise residential developments. The person who derailed the Main/Vaughan Harvey project on behalf of Tomato Lady fits the profile to a T as well.

To be fair most of the local anti-dev crowd aren't even technically NIMBY; most live nowhere near downtown and aren't even directly impacted by any of it. The motivation (and common denominator in their rants), beyond the conspiracy stuff, is invariably the complaint that they can't rent/own for mere peanuts like they used to pre-2019, so they want to stop growth because somehow it'll make it all better.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Around here there's a lot of overlap between the exact types of people BlackYear described, and the loud minority who are the most outspoken against urban high-rise residential developments. The person who derailed the Main/Vaughan Harvey project on behalf of Tomato Lady fits the profile to a T as well.

To be fair most of the local anti-dev crowd aren't even technically NIMBY; most live nowhere near downtown and aren't even directly impacted by any of it. The motivation (and common denominator in their rants), beyond the conspiracy stuff, is invariably the complaint that they can't rent/own for mere peanuts like they used to pre-2019, so they want to stop growth because somehow it'll make it all better.
Supply and demand have an impact on price. What would happen to monthly rent costs if building more units dries up?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 11:11 AM

When is the public hearing on the proposed zoning change? Will we know then if approved?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 11:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
When is the public hearing on the proposed zoning change? Will we know then if approved?
July 17th.

The proposal still needs PAC approval and needs to pass 2nd & 3rd readings at Moncton city council before the final go ahead is given.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
July 17th.

The proposal still needs PAC approval and needs to pass 2nd & 3rd readings at Moncton city council before the final go ahead is given.
I wonder who will construct this tower? Lafford has his own crew which allows him to move quickly. I would be curious if this one will see somewhat the same speed?

Also I am curious what the Irving land would become? Beautiful corner for a nice mixed use facility. It's a sizable lot. It still surprises me that we are having this discussion on this property after all these years of proposals and standstill. Exciting times.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 11:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
I wonder who will construct this tower? Lafford has his own crew which allows him to move quickly. I would be curious if this one will see somewhat the same speed?
I think things will proceed expeditiously. The general contractor has been selected. I imagine a lot of sub contractors have also been lined up, with provisional contracts (pending civic approvals) already signed. I imagine the tower crane and heavy equipment are secured and waiting to be deployed.

Public meeting in July. Final city council approval in early August. Shovels in the ground by Labour Day. This is my prediction (barring any hidden tomato plants on adjacent properties).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
Also I am curious what the Irving land would become? Beautiful corner for a nice mixed use facility. It's a sizable lot. It still surprises me that we are having this discussion on this property after all these years of proposals and standstill. Exciting times.
It is a full city block, with at least double the footprint of that available for Infinity. It could be used for anything, but, with the tallest building in the city being built next door, it would be a crying shame if it were used for anything else than a large mixed use development of some kind. Something like two mid rise residential towers on a common commercial podium would do the trick.

I wonder what it would take for Irving to sell the land???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces