HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:14 AM
BANNED

Yeah, seriously, when are you guys going to stop this?

You already know what they're going to put there for Ground Zero.

Last edited by Daquan13; May 12, 2007 at 8:32 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:04 AM

You guys apparently don't read. Never did the poster of that rendering say "I really hope this gets built." But what he DID say was he had some fun in Photoshop -- that's all. So let him have his fun.. no need to repeat "it isn't gonna happen" yet again. No shit it isn't going to happen, nobody said it would.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

I really like this one:

It looks like the twins are back!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Immagine that... they are not capable to build one tower fast... neither 2. I do not believe. Ethernity waiting for one, 2 would be nicier but too much stress for those 'occupied' people

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
Doesn't work. The "twin-ness" is lost with the other towers there. EVen twin Freedom Towers won't work. The original Twins were so powerful because they were so simple, like two enormous blocks. Imagine just one World Trade tower, anywhere. It would look horrible. It's because there was a twin that it worked, but the new WTC towers don't need twins.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Evolution of Freedom...

NY Times

More from dance of the Freedom Towers....

_

_

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
You guys apparently don't read. Never did the poster of that rendering say "I really hope this gets built." But what he DID say was he had some fun in Photoshop -- that's all. So let him have his fun.. no need to repeat "it isn't gonna happen" yet again. No shit it isn't going to happen, nobody said it would.

kznyc, you've just repeated it again. Oh. I guess you didn't read the phrase that was made at the bottom of the previous page; "I really really want this to happen."

But I really don't know how many times this forum has been cluttered with this rendering or ones similar to it. I've stopped counting.

And thanks NYguy!! You've said it all in a nutshell! You're right!

Last edited by Daquan13; May 12, 2007 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:16 PM
BANNED

Incidentally, Libeskind had unveiled a version of his own for the tower in October, 2003 during his fight with Silverstein and Childs.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:42 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
But I really don't know how many times this forum has been cluttered with this rendering or ones similar to it. I've stopped counting.
But I really don't know how many times this forum has been cluttered with Daquan13 giving out whenever the twins are mentioned. I've stopped counting.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
But I really don't know how many times this forum has been cluttered with Daquan13 giving out whenever the twins are mentioned. I've stopped counting.

Whatever.

Like CoolCzech already pointed out earlier, THIS IS THE FREEDOM TOWER thread.

Well, and if I remember correctly, and I just checked, there ACTUALLY IS a thread on the former WTC towers near the bottom in the WTC Redevelopment section.

But apparently, it seems that no one wants to use it, and so, THIS thread gets hammered and clobbered with the stuff. I was the last one to post there. Just thought that I'd put my 2c in.

Last edited by Daquan13; May 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:18 PM

This building... wack.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Doesn't work. The "twin-ness" is lost with the other towers there.
Very good point.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Evolution of Freedom...

NY Times
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
- Leonardo da Vinci

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:25 PM

I wouldn't mind having that ^^ second tower (from the left) as WTC 4 instead of the one from Maki.

Minus the spire of course.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:09 PM
BANNED

We got the best one - last one on the right.

The others had their structural height too damn short.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

They are all awful! I'm glad that the freedom tower design now doesnt have a birdcage or some other contraption on it! But i still think it would look better taller. The roof should reach the height or the August 2003 design, then add the spire. I just think with all these proposed buildings and the burj dubai, the freedom tower will look tiny and it is not gonna be finished until 2010. Isnt the Chicago Spire suppost to be completed then also?

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:46 PM
BANNED

That one is not even u/c yet, but you know that Windy City is chomping at the bit to get even with the Freedom Tower and wants to eclipse it.

So, like the former WTC, the Freedom Tower may enjoy about 2 years with no rivals as the CTB until Windy City can pull something off.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Well said.

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 12:41 AM

All these buildings (1-4 and likely whatever they do for 5) are quite cool looking. The twins were far from elegant, they were simple bulky monsters with even less style than the new Building 7.

I'm a super impatient person yet even I realize that these things take hordes of time.

Seriously if you don't like the style, you want it to be instantly done, or you want the same old crap that was there, then piss off. My god the other 99% of the people on this thread must be sick and tired of hearing that same crap LOL. I only pop in here every so often and the repetitive trash talk is really old. Let me know when you come to Philly, we have things we like to do to people like that!

Also if you are going to try and bash one of the most fun cities in the U.S.A. and their construction politics, then perhaps you should at least do some spell checking before you completely bastardize the language lol!

So now back to reality, who do we have to buy a camera so we can get some regular pictures of things besides webcams? :^)

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 1:51 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Wall Street Journal

Rebuilding Ground Zero
By STEVE MALANGA
May 12, 2007; Page A11

Larry Silverstein began spending every morning at the World Trade Center shortly after he inked a 99-year deal to operate the complex in July 2001. The New York developer would have breakfast at Windows on the World, the restaurant on the 107th floor of the North tower, and then meet for several hours with tenants. But on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, he was at home, dressing for a doctor's appointment his wife had made for him, instead of at his usual table at Windows. "I had said to my wife, sweetheart, cancel my doctor's appointment. I have so much to do at the Trade Center," he recalls. "She got very upset and told me I had to go. As it turns out, that saved my life."

While he was still getting ready for his doctor's appointment, Mr. Silverstein learned that the first plane hijacked by terrorists had struck the North tower. He turned on his television just in time to see the second plane fly into the South tower. No one at Windows on the World survived.

A few weeks ago, as Mr. Silverstein and I met at his headquarters on the 38th floor of 7 World Trade Center, the 52-story skyscraper that he quickly rebuilt just north of where the twin towers once stood, we could watch the reconstruction of the rest of the Trade Center site proceed. He pointed out to me the footprints of the three other office towers he is developing there and predicted with some confidence that the site, which will include a fourth skyscraper, the so-called Freedom Tower, as well as a new transportation terminal, will be completed within five years. "I just want to hang around until then to see this through to completion," the 75-year-old developer told me.

Mr. Silverstein can take some satisfaction in watching the cranes operate after a long, tortuous and very public planning process in which the commercial revival of the site was often in doubt. He's fought against skeptics who claimed that downtown Manhattan would never again support an office market after the devastating attacks. He's listened patiently to some relatives of those who died on 9/11 as they lobbied against redevelopment, claiming the site was "hallowed ground." He's squared off against public officials who tried to hijack the redevelopment for their own agendas, pushing to turn Ground Zero into everything from parkland to an arts-and-cultural center to a giant housing project.

In the end, however, the vision that he fought for of a rigorous commercial redevelopment -- one that viewed the Trade Center as the hub of New York's financial district and an important symbol of our economic system -- is what won out. Now, with 7 World Trade already two-thirds leased and big tenants as well as investors starting to circle around the other proposed buildings, the marketplace looks to be endorsing Mr. Silverstein's vision and rewarding his tenacity. New York will be the better off for it. "The financial center's locomotive was the World Trade Center," he says, "and for the sustenance of the city and the region, we need to get those jobs back."

Although 9/11 thrust Mr. Silverstein into the public's eye, his association with the World Trade Center stretches back more than a quarter century, to 1980, when he obtained the right to develop a plot across the street from the North Tower. There he built a 1.9 million square foot skyscraper -- the first 7 World Trade Center -- which nearly bankrupted him. Drexel Burnham Lambert planned to lease the entire tower but pulled out just days before signing the deal, when government investigations into the activities of the head of its junk bond department, Michael Milken, emerged as a threat to the firm's future growth. Drexel ultimately collapsed, and Mr. Silverstein was left without a major tenant until Salomon Bros. leased half the building two years later.

Yet despite that brush with failure, erecting 7 World Trade only sharpened his appetite for more. "I remember at the topping out of 7 World Trade looking up at the twin towers and thinking, my building is huge, but it is made diminutive by the twin towers," he says. "So I said to myself, wouldn't it be incredible someday to own those?"

What seemed like only a pipe dream became a reality when New York Gov. George Pataki and New Jersey Gov. Christie Whitman decided to get the bi-state government agency that controlled the towers, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, out of the real-estate business and sell off the twin towers. The Port Authority had opened them in the early 1970s, just as New York's economy was hitting the skids, and the heavily subsidized towers became a drag on the city's real-estate business, dumping some 10 million square feet of office space on an already saturated market. Though the Port Authority filled the towers for years with leases to government agencies, by the 1990s, when a redevelopment plan engineered by Gov. Pataki and then-New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani spurred a commercial revival in downtown Manhattan, the Trade Center became prime property.

Bidding to win control of the towers consumed Mr. Silverstein for several years. So preoccupied did he become that one day, just before bids were due, the developer was walking home across East 57th street in Manhattan while turning over some numbers in his head when he failed to see a car run a red light. It struck him, sending him flying through the air and breaking his pelvis in 12 places. He finalized his bid for the towers while in the hospital and eventually cemented a deal with the Port Authority. It was to be his crowning achievement, and after he integrated the new asset into his company he planned to turn over operations to his children and spend his remaining years cruising with his wife on his yacht. Instead, 9/11 intervened.

"After the attacks, I said to my wife, if you want to go sailing, I'll do that. If you want me to rebuild the Trade Center, I'll do that," says Mr. Silverstein. "And she said to me, you know you won't be satisfied with anything except rebuilding, so let's just get on with it."

The tale of reconstruction is actually two separate stories -- one of an unfettered Mr. Silverstein quickly rebuilding 7 World Trade, and another of a government-led effort to create a new master plan for the rest of Ground Zero foundering over a host of issues. Mr. Silverstein began planning for a new 7 World Trade -- which he controlled entirely and which had collapsed on 9/11 along with the towers -- barely a month after the attacks. Although in early 2002 Gov. Pataki and the head of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. asked him to slow down preparations for rebuilding 7 World Trade to accommodate government planning for the rest of the site, he pressed ahead, putting shovels in the ground by May of that year and opening the tower for business in the spring of 2006.

But if Mr. Silverstein thought his quick work -- which for several years represented the only signs of progress around the site -- was going to earn him congratulations, he was mistaken. Soon after 7 World Trade opened, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg criticized him for not leasing it more quickly, claiming that the developer was asking prices that were too high. Government officials publicly pressured him to complete a deal with a Chinese developer who was to be the tower's first tenant, and then excoriated him when he cancelled the deal after the prospective tenant failed to provide adequate details on its financing.

But since then Mr. Silverstein has managed to lease 1.1 million square feet of 7 World Trade to blue chip tenants like Moody's, at rents that are 50% higher than what officials were urging him to accept. "I simply did not listen to all the naysayers because I was spending my money, not theirs, and fortunately I had no government involvement in 7 World Trade, which gave me the opportunity to do what I do best," he says.

While construction proceeded on 7 World Trade, Mr. Silverstein got bogged down in the battle over how to redevelop the rest of the site. The agency charged with leading the redevelopment was torn by conflicting visions and tried to shoehorn as much as possible into their plan -- a museum, a memorial to the dead, a home for a major New York cultural institution, residential development and office space. Critics urged cutting back the office space to make room for these varied uses. In the midst of his re-election campaign, Mayor Bloomberg even declared that the market couldn't support new skyscrapers anyway. He advocated instead building housing where the towers once stood, calling to mind a glum prediction about Manhattan by a character in Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead": "The age of the skyscraper is gone. This is the age of the housing project." The New York Daily News responded to the mayor's imprecations with the headline: "Butt Out, Larry."

Even so, a reviving office market and soaring interest in 7 World Trade helped finally persuade planners to focus on a commercial reconstruction. But once the master plan was in place, government officials did all they could to move Mr. Silverstein aside, ironically claiming that the developer must relinquish some of his control to government so that the rebuilding could move more rapidly. Mayor Bloomberg threatened to withhold Liberty Bonds, which Congress had created to help finance reconstruction, while the vice chairman of the Port Authority called Mr. Silverstein "greedy" for not agreeing to the state's demands.

Finally, Mr. Silverstein decided to give back ownership of the so-called Freedom Tower to the Port Authority -- though he will build the tower -- while retaining control of the three remaining office buildings on the site. The agreement, as well as court decisions which require insurers to pay Mr. Silverstein and the Port Authority some $4.6 billion toward new construction, have finally cleared the way for building to begin.

It is fitting that the final plan for Ground Zero owes such a debt to a private developer and the marketplace. The terrorists attacked the twin towers because they embodied the values of our democratic free-market economic system. The memorial that will rise on Ground Zero will make no reference to those values, nor seek to celebrate our way of life. Rather the memorial, in the way of postmodern monuments, will merely ask us to ponder the absence of those who died.

The real monument on the site will be its skyscrapers, and the buzz and hum of activity within them will celebrate the continuing triumph of the system that the terrorists attacked. "After five and a half years of laborious involvement in politics, we finally are at a point where we are building," says Mr. Silverstein triumphantly. "This is what I do."

Mr. Malanga, a senior editor at City Journal, is the author of "The New New Left" (Ivan R. Dee, 2005).

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117893280555400749.html

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive