HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Unfortunately I don't think Manchester Pacific Gateway will sufficiently fill the skyline gap as viewed from Harbor or Shelter Island because the tall towers are on the North End of the project. I have recently walked on both Shelter/Harbor Islands and there will still be a sizeable gap because the buildings on the South end of Manchester Project are stubby.

I think 7th and Market might fill the gap from Shelter Island but it will be blocked from view on Harbor Island. In fact from Shelter 15th St. Pinnacle tower is actually filling in the gap a bit because it is so tall. Someone should go to the Bali Hai and take a zoomed in shot of the skyline from that vantage point you are truly looking straight on at the CBD from the bay not angled of kilter at all.

Speaking of 7th/12th Market PLEASE break ground soon before some crazy economic/war uncertainty happens and delays them. Stop lagging City of SD and get those damn projects started
I'm nervous about 7th/Market too. Any updates on when it might break ground? It's really depressing seeing the site across the street that was supposed to be another hotel turned into another surface lot.

As long as we have the 500' limit, we'll have the plateau effect. Meanwhile, in SF salesforce, the tallest building, (overtaking transamerica tower) topped out at 1070 ft (more than twice as high as our OAP ). The views from it are pretty incredible though: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/0...citys-tallest/

Maybe someone on here who is a real estate agent can confirm my theory, but it seems like downtown condo buyers in San Diego are becoming more "height conscious". I live in a 7 floor condo building and not one, not two, but three people in my building have told me they are selling because they want to move into a taller building on a high level floor. For a long time many people buying downtown seemed content with these mid-rise developments, but lately it seems like more demand for the true high rises. Anyone else sense this?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:42 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
Maybe someone on here who is a real estate agent can confirm my theory, but it seems like downtown condo buyers in San Diego are becoming more "height conscious". I live in a 7 floor condo building and not one, not two, but three people in my building have told me they are selling because they want to move into a taller building on a high level floor. For a long time many people buying downtown seemed content with these mid-rise developments, but lately it seems like more demand for the true high rises. Anyone else sense this?
I don't know about recent trends, but I do remember a long form article in the Reader about the SD skyline which had an interview with Nat Bosa himself. He was frustrated by the height limit, but was resigned to it nonetheless. Miami, Las Vegas and Boston have all had the political leadership to challenge the FAA on their height limits, but our leadership seems content on the issue. Midrise developments seem poised to continue, unless there really is a market swing upwards.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:45 AM
Registered San Diegan

New Mission Valley development near Fashion Valley. I've been waiting for this proposal for years when I read about the initial land purchase.

http://landcapip.com/portfolio/first-road-project/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:18 PM

It's a thoughtful, good-looking design for a very tough site to work with. Those units will be nice and the buildings will represent a big step up for Mission Valley.

My only criticism is the developer presentation with the one slide that shows a terrace with the Mt. Sutro TV tower in the background -- must be a 500-mile-visibility day!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
20170406_1422061 by kevinbeatty, on Flickr
while out on the boat yesterday I shot this photo near harbor island. how I imagine pacific gateway will fill in the skyline
Thanks for the visual! From that vantage point it looks like the Marina Gap could be filled in nicely.

Like others have said I almost cant believe this is actually moving forward. I have been (not so) patiently waiting since I moved DT in 2008!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:31 PM

The plateau is almost complete... wuhahaha (evil laugh)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 6:57 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
The plateau is almost complete... wuhahaha (evil laugh)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 10:16 PM
Babylon falling

I called J Street Hospitality the developer of Canopy Hilton Hotel that is just putting in a parking lot they said they can not comment on anything right now and will probably let Roger Showley at the UT know when they have anything to report. I don't get it Hotels in SD are on Fire right now I can't believe they aren't moving forward.

Just spoke with a source at CCDC in the planning Dept: 12th Market is a go for construction starting this summer.

7th Market: Tied up in some sort of litigation I guess with those same damn unions that killed the Chula Vista Bayfront Gaylord project. Don't the judges see through this damn crap by now and understand these F**ks are holding back the economy and job creation!!! He said they have brought some CEQA suit blah blah and he can't comment on anything right now.

He hope the litigation is processed quickly and the tower can break ground end of this year early next. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:09 AM

Quote:

Just spoke with a source at CCDC in the planning Dept: 12th Market is a go for construction starting this summer.
Anyone have any renderings of 12th and Market?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:21 AM
It could be worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
Anyone have any renderings of 12th and Market?

UC San Diego News Center

There are also a few more here. It's supposed to be completed at some point in 2020.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:52 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
I called J Street Hospitality the developer of Canopy Hilton Hotel that is just putting in a parking lot they said they can not comment on anything right now and will probably let Roger Showley at the UT know when they have anything to report. I don't get it Hotels in SD are on Fire right now I can't believe they aren't moving forward.

7th Market: Tied up in some sort of litigation I guess with those same damn unions that killed the Chula Vista Bayfront Gaylord project. Don't the judges see through this damn crap by now and understand these F**ks are holding back the economy and job creation!!! He said they have brought some CEQA suit blah blah and he can't comment on anything right now.

He hope the litigation is processed quickly and the tower can break ground end of this year early next. Stay tuned.
Thanks for the updates! I'm worried about 7th and Market. I've been reading a lot of reports about real estate contraction, and have noticed a trickle of projects coming through Civic as of late. Hopefully this is all related to election jitters and not a larger trend.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 3:26 PM
Frequent Lurker

Thanks mello for the update, and Lipani for finding those renderings!

The 12th and Market project is the one that will take over the temporary Quartyard project. A lot of people are mad about that, but I'm happy to see a tower (though it's not the most attractive), and the UC San Diego extension replace it. Hopefully the Quartyard people find another site to and do something similar.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:57 PM
SD/OC

Love the architecture of 12th & Market. Very International-Style/Mid-Century

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quartyard 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Thanks mello for the update, and Lipani for finding those renderings!

The 12th and Market project is the one that will take over the temporary Quartyard project. A lot of people are mad about that, but I'm happy to see a tower (though it's not the most attractive), and the UC San Diego extension replace it. Hopefully the Quartyard people find another site to and do something similar.
I heard a rumor that Quartyard is relocating to the empty lot next to Alpha Square on the southeast corner of 13th and Market and will include that house right there as well...fingers crossed!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 8:11 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:12 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northparkwizard View Post
Is this the Little Italy Tower that's underconstruction next to that best western or is this another project? There are so many hard to keep track. If this is a new one when is it set to break ground?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

Wow, I was expecting 12th and Market to be another one of those 7-story lowrises. It completely flew under my radar.

It might just be me, but it seems like development in the city has really taken off. Almost too many projects to keep track of. I think another full list of all projects with their renderings and status is in order. Any volunteers?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:13 AM

What happened to the development map on SD urbdezine? Anything similar, and updated around?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:01 AM
It could be worse!

A few construction shots of projects near the Embarcadero today:

Pacific Gate:

What a gem this one is turning out to be!

Intercon:

Slowly rising...

Navy Broadway Complex demolition:

Seeing this monstrosity get destroyed is going to be one of the best things, ever.

And Savina:

It won't be as pretty as Pacific Gate, but a welcome addition nonetheless

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:27 AM
Ascension

Can we have a rundown of what's under construction and proposed in SD?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations