HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post
There is some sort of genius happening right now, I think we should all take the time to admire it. Imagine if Spanos and Briggs managed to pull this off. Tell Faulconer and Roberts to keep OUR money while raising the hotel tax and giving the hoteliers no other option but to pay for the convadium. It has also been rumored that Spanos might put forth a significantly higher dollar amount than if the stadium was in mission valley.

If the city managed to churn out another 10,000 degrees each year by handing off the site to the universities......wow.

However this turns out and however anyone feels. It is kind of nice that all these important decisions about OUR city will be made by a public vote, not special interest deals (namely hoteliers)
I agree that a public vote is the way to go for such a divisive issue. As evidenced on this board, there are strong opinions on both sides. I am a bit cynical about the ballot process, though. Special interests still find a way to manipulate the system. JMI has been funding the signature drive for Brigg's ballot measure and I'm sure they will be throwing money at advertising to get it to pass. Likewise, the Chargers will, I'm sure, spend plenty on selling their ballot measure to the people. The question is whether an anti-downtown stadium campaign will take shape like it did in Carlsbad over that lagoon shopping center this week. Even though city officials favor mission valley, I don't really see them throwing a lot of money and political capital at trying to defeat the measure.

By the way, will it be a city-wide or county-wide vote? With the MV plan and the county putting money in there was talk it could be county-wide, but I'm guessing without the county chipping in it would only be on the ballot for residents of the city of San Diego

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northparkwizard View Post
Wow, I can cut the condescension with a knife.
I think many of us, myself included, are guilty at times of condescension. I think it's good people are passionate about this issue as it will be a major factor in the future trajectory of downtown, particularly East Village. People on both sides have made valid points, but I have to agree with sdfan on this one. I see another large stadium as overall a negative impact on the future of EV. I guess it will be up to voters to have the final say.

Last edited by SDCAL; Feb 26, 2016 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:47 PM
Registered San Diegan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Wow, I can cut the condescension with a knife.

Question for SDfan, what are you doing about your ideas for EV? Are you in the real estate, development, or construction industry? Are you Rob Quigley?

It would be a shame if you were just talking about it and not working towards your vision. It seems like you have everything in place for a proposal that you believe in.

I think you should take that into the bank and develop a spec, tech-hub building or whatever your idea is. If you're right, that's what us in the business call a slam dunk.
I work in unrelated fields, but am passionate about urban planning and development, and housing affordability for all Californians. This vision is more or less coming from the leaders in opposition (Quigley included). I encourage you all to attend this event on March 5 to discuss the future of EV. I'll be there, condescension and all, haha!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
I work in unrelated fields, but am passionate about urban planning and development, and housing affordability for all Californians. This vision is more or less coming from the leaders in opposition (Quigley included). I encourage you all to attend this event on March 5 to discuss the future of EV. I'll be there, condescension and all, haha!
I smell an anti-stadium coalition brewing full of nimbys.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I work 6 days a week, no can do.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:46 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrice View Post
Well, if I'm a NIMBY for trying to promote a vision for a denser, more urban, sustainable, and affordable future for EV and San Diego, then I guess I am.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:18 AM

Ron Roberts' new pet project the Skyway just got a video...

Video

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:40 AM

Parsons Brinckerhoff / SANDAG did a good job with the Skyway feasibility report. Presumably the video came from them as well.

The controversial part of the alignment is going to be to what degree the cables into Balboa Park impact the view of the historic bridge that spans the canyon and Route 163. The end of the video shows the most southerly angle studied -- with a straight line from El Prado / Museums to an angled station at 6th and Elm Street. Such an alignment would do minimum violence to the bridge vista but would have the least commuter ridership, since not many people live near 6th and Elm as near 6th and Ivy. As the study makes clear, FAA surfaces are a factor, too, on placement of the angled station. It's a very interesting three-dimensional puzzle to work out.

Another controversial part will be the gondolas passing in front of people's windows along 6th in the Gaslamp.

On the whole, though, the Skyway's a great idea, especially in light of the hugely successful examples in Colombia and Venezuela where the Metrocable reinforces and branches off from rail transit to serve hillside neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:05 PM

Quote:
It sounds like they are meeting to discuss alternative developments to a stadium, not advocating for no development which would be more in-line with the "nimby" moniker. I'd hardly consider Quigley a nimby - look how many various people and groups tried to stop the new main library saying it was a waste of money and a "taj mahal for the homeless", he wasn't just the architect but also an advocate and key force to getting it built when it looked like the project was dead.

Last edited by SDCAL; Feb 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:58 PM
BANNED

I guess we can expect sdfan and sdcal to take over this thread from now on crying over the stadium
oh well

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I guess we can expect sdfan and sdcal to take over this thread from now on crying over the stadium
oh well
It's a development thread and the Chargers deciding to pursue a downtown stadium has been the major development news this week, what's wrong with debating it? You don't seem to have a problem with long prolific posts arguing in favor of it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 6:54 PM
Downtowner

Quote:

Video
This is so cool! There is one in Portland that adds so much to the neighborhood it is in.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
It's a development thread and the Chargers deciding to pursue a downtown stadium has been the major development news this week, what's wrong with debating it? You don't seem to have a problem with long prolific posts arguing in favor of it.
have at it hoss

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:10 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
Don't bother, they're not providing productive feedback anyways.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:14 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:

Video
I'm curious to see if they can actually develop this. I would be surprised if the Uptown Planning group supported the effort. They've shot down higher densities, taller buildings, hell - even recreation centers in Balboa Park! A tall, mass transit system carrying outsiders into their hood shouldn't bode well for them, given their exclusionary history.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:25 AM

TJ Moving Up!

The owners of New City Medical Plaza envision a 26-story tower, with doctors offices, a medical lab, a surgery center, and an adjacent 140-room hotel. The idea is to provide a single location easily accessed by U.S. patients. They plan to be up-and-running within three years.

Once completed, the facility would be part of a complex of high-rises near the San Ysidro Port of Entry, buildings visible to drivers on Interstate 5 heading into Tijuana. New City currently includes three residential towers, with two more planned, said Isaac Abadi, the 31-year-old Panamanian-born CEO of New City.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...ican-patients/

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to see if they can actually develop this. I would be surprised if the Uptown Planning group supported the effort. They've shot down higher densities, taller buildings, hell - even recreation centers in Balboa Park! A tall, mass transit system carrying outsiders into their hood shouldn't bode well for them, given their exclusionary history.
This seemed like such a pipe dream when Roberts first proposed it, but I'm actually coming around on it. To your point about the Uptown Planning Group, does the skyway have a stop in their neck of the woods? It looks like it might just pass over the top of Bankers Hill and cross over 163 to the zoo and Prado area. The agency I'm most worried about is the FAA...I can't imagine they'd be happy with a line of cable cars running right underneath the planes as they make their (already-tricky) rapid descent down to Lindbergh Field. I hope I'm wrong, but...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 9:05 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post

The owners of New City Medical Plaza envision a 26-story tower, with doctors offices, a medical lab, a surgery center, and an adjacent 140-room hotel. The idea is to provide a single location easily accessed by U.S. patients. They plan to be up-and-running within three years.

Once completed, the facility would be part of a complex of high-rises near the San Ysidro Port of Entry, buildings visible to drivers on Interstate 5 heading into Tijuana. New City currently includes three residential towers, with two more planned, said Isaac Abadi, the 31-year-old Panamanian-born CEO of New City.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...ican-patients/
Thanks for that update! Looks like a good project with some attractive, modern architecture. I'd love to see Tijuana densify more in this way.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:13 AM
Babylon falling

TJ nice, all the ladies need a nice place go get their tummy lipo'd and put in the booyt! Loving it. Did you guys see the JMI spokesperson saying teh 1500 room mega hotel Moores wants to build behind Petco is getting green lit in the next 12 months! Some great height coming to that area. Can you imagine it that and the 45 floor hotel behind the CC on the Joe's Crab Shack land gets built

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:41 AM

Alexan breaks ground on 19-story complex in the lower East Village

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations