HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Pacific gate is almost topped out, I'll take pix next time I'm downtown but the spiral roof is pretty distinct now. Just curious if there's any lighting features? all the other buildings along the bayfront are lit up at night

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:04 PM
BANNED

The street is too damn wide!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:33 PM
Category Five

That's a nice looking building!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Nice! How many stories?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:04 PM

Navy Broadway Complex - Is it really happening?!

"Turner Construction has been chosen as the builder due to their extensive experience and success on large and complex projects around the country. They are in the final stages of planning and permits and plan to begin the project in July of 2017 with a six month demolition period. During this phase, the Navy will still operate in it’s present location, adding to the complexity and expert scheduling required on the project. Excavation and grading is projected to begin in January 2018. As the new underground parking structure is begun, the structural support for the taller buildings will start simultaneously."

http://www.coronadonewsca.com/news/c...2e3792282.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFC View Post
Navy Broadway Complex - Is it really happening?!

"Turner Construction has been chosen as the builder due to their extensive experience and success on large and complex projects around the country. They are in the final stages of planning and permits and plan to begin the project in July of 2017 with a six month demolition period. During this phase, the Navy will still operate in it’s present location, adding to the complexity and expert scheduling required on the project. Excavation and grading is projected to begin in January 2018. As the new underground parking structure is begun, the structural support for the taller buildings will start simultaneously."

http://www.coronadonewsca.com/news/c...2e3792282.html
I hope this really does happen now... I used to work at that place lol... a new facility would be awesome.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:29 PM
Frequent Lurker

I was also downtown today and got some pictures of Pacific Gate from the waterfront park.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:57 PM

Is the park open or....?

It looks like such a beautiful day and not a single soul is hanging out in the park. We have more people hanging out in parks on rainy 40 degree days here in Portland.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:02 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Is the park open or....?

It looks like such a beautiful day and not a single soul is hanging out in the park. We have more people hanging out in parks on rainy 40 degree days here in Portland.
It was a bit dead, but this was probably 9:30 in the morning and the fountains were off. There were children on the playgrounds nearby. I went last week around lunchtime and it was packed with people.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
It was a bit dead, but this was probably 9:30 in the morning and the fountains were off. There were children on the playgrounds nearby. I went last week around lunchtime and it was packed with people.
Phew. I was thinking it was noontime based on the time you posted.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:56 PM

Anyone know the current designs for Manchester Pacific gateway?? I noticed one looks more Art Deco and the other looks like they took more Art Deco details away

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:39 AM

It's a little thing, but those reflections on Pacific Gate are pretty darn sexy.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:34 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Yeah I was downtown today and thinking that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:17 AM

https://fee.org/articles/how-spontan...on-affordable/

This is worth a read. Talk about polar opposite.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post

Thanks for this. There's definitely an argument to be made for having regulations in place (CA) vs. a more relaxed environment (Houston). I've seen the pros and cons to both. Best read I've had all week.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:45 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
True, but that street (PCH) is wide because it used to be a "highway" before the 5 Freeway was built in the early 60's.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post
http://responsibilityfoundation.org/news/

This project was in City Beat recently, I guess San Diego is considered a front runner as the host city for this statue. It is conceived as a national bookend to the Statue of Liberty--a west coast statue symbolizing the responsibility that comes with liberty. The concept seems to be decades in the making, but seems very timely considering the current administration in the white house seems hellbent on closing borders and this Statue of Responsibility aims to symbolize empathy, assistance, etc. San Diego would also be a great location given its geographical proximity to the busiest border crossing in the world. From the rendering it looks like Coronado Island would be its home if it were to be constructed in San Diego, which I think is appropriate. There's a smaller scale replica of the statue at some university in Utah.
Oh god kill it with fire

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post

It's an opinion piece that leaves out a lot of complex reasons for differing regulation and planning styles across cities. I mean comparing Houston and SF? One has room to sprawl and the other is confined to a small peninsula. A lot of housing costs comes from desirability to live in certain places. Many more people would find coastal CA more desirable than humid, swampy Houston. That alone will make prices higher here. I just don't buy the notion that cities like SF could follow the "Houston model" and cure all their problems. Seems like a naive piece.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
It's an opinion piece that leaves out a lot of complex reasons for differing regulation and planning styles across cities. I mean comparing Houston and SF? One has room to sprawl and the other is confined to a small peninsula. A lot of housing costs comes from desirability to live in certain places. Many more people would find coastal CA more desirable than humid, swampy Houston. That alone will make prices higher here. I just don't buy the notion that cities like SF could follow the "Houston model" and cure all their problems. Seems like a naive piece.
While I agree with you 100%, it's been proven that ~50% of housing costs in CA come from regulations. The rest, as you mentioned, likely comes from desirability and supply, etc. SF, even though is constrained by geographical realities, is still by and large zoned for the SFH, downtown excepted. It's interesting that both approaches (SF vs. Houston) *still* lead to sprawl, one being driven by high costs of development, and the other by cheap land. Maybe this tells us that no matter what, there will be demand for the typical suburban home but that we *should* be building much more density in key areas than we currently are. At least Houston makes this easier to do.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadreHomer View Post
Oh god kill it with fire
For real! That's the worst of a long line of these horrible proposals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations