HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:51 AM
Good Grief

Yeah, the job I took on last year really eats into my free time.

But I do check in almost daily to see if anything new has been reported or if a change is needed to the first page.

Which btw needs some good pictures of the completed buildings. Solair comes to mind. So if anyone with a camera is in the area, please snap a few shots for the thread.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 9:11 PM

Not really a development of any sort, but there hasn't been much posted here lately, so figured I'd post this just for the heck of it.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...-83883147.html

Group to Rename Iconic Hollywood Sign -- For a Day

Quote:
As part of its initiative to save land near the sign from development, Trust for Public Lands wants to cover the sign with a shroud that reads, "Save the Peak."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:39 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Yay!

Deal Spares Century Plaza Hotel from Wrecking Ball

An agreement between the owner and preservationists would save 400 rooms and calls for a 'sensitive rehabilitation' of the site. The developer plans to propose other buildings on the property.

By Martha Groves
February 11, 2010

The Century Plaza, the elegantly curved luxury hotel that has welcomed presidents, princes and pop stars since its 1966 opening, will be spared from the wrecking ball under a historic agreement between the owner and preservationists.

The agreement, shaped over months of negotiations, calls for dramatically revamping the developer's original plan to raze the hotel and build two 50-story high-rises with condos, a boutique hotel, offices, retail shops and public plazas.

Real estate investor Michael Rosenfeld's plan to knock down the stylish hotel galvanized the preservation community and spawned an outpouring of community support for the hotel, designed by Minoru Yamasaki as the centerpiece of Century City.

In response, the National Trust for Historic Preservation named the structure to its annual list of America's 11 most endangered historic places.

L.A. City Councilman Paul Koretz, who represents Century City, pushed for the negotiations, saying the 19-story, 726-room hotel would be torn down "over my dead body."

"We went from the point where I thought I would have to watch them at every turn, for fear they would sneak in and demolish it, to having them work as our partners," he said. "They're not only going to preserve the hotel but do it right -- including restoring some of the finishes to make it look more like it did when it was brand new."

As of now, plans call for "sensitive rehabilitation" of the hotel to preserve 400 hotel rooms while converting those on the top floors to 45 condos. Meeting space would be reduced, and a slightly smaller ballroom would replace the existing one. The developer plans to propose other buildings on the site to the rear and/or sides of the hotel and a low-scale structure with some retail shops or restaurants to enliven the front of the hotel.

Diane Keaton, a trustee of the National Trust, said in a statement: "I am so glad that everyone came together and found a way to preserve this architectural gem. You see? It can be done. Development and preservation are not mutually exclusive."

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:30 PM

Can't wait to see what they decide to do with those 50 story towers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The developer plans to propose other buildings on the site to the rear and/or sides of the hotel and a low-scale structure with some retail shops or restaurants to enliven the front of the hotel.

That is exactly what I was referring to in my last photo thread on Century City where I commented on how we can retrofit Century City to be more lively and pedestrian oriented by adding retail to all the large plazas that do little to generate pedestrian activity.

I hope that when this new project moves forward with this hotel, that other property owners will take notice and replicate more "low-scale structures with some retail shops/restaurants" on their underutilized plazas.

That will complement a future subway station much better and give pedestrians something to do when they come out of the station besides just going into the office towers or the mall.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 6:25 AM

Hopefully they can shorten the towers a little and place them behind the building.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 7:27 PM
BANNED

I'm going to guess 1 building now; maybe 39 stories? I think that's what the proposed tower above the new Bloomingdales was cut back to.

LAB: agree that it would be nice to have more in-fill around the existing high-rises; there is room on many of the properties. But I wonder if they will get enough business given the distance between the buildings. I believe there already are small shops and restaurants inside some of the buildings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:37 PM
Environmental Sabotage

The Jefferson

They're finishing up on The Jefferson across from H&H:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:49 PM
Ascension

That looks quite nice actually. I see hints of Streamline as well as art deco architectural styles.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 6:05 PM
BANNED

300: agreed; the short side in particular has a bit of deco/moderne look.

The longer side is too plain. An extended version of the other side would have been nice.

But every little bit helps.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:00 AM

Why do architects add so many pointless physical layers and the tan color schemes, and think that looks good? Sometimes less is more, specifically when talking about LA high-rise architecture. And the color is depressing. Just paint over the whole thing in white. Stop using tan.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Why do architects add so many pointless physical layers
because this is la. a philistine city.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:44 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Why do architects add so many pointless physical layers and the tan color schemes, and think that looks good? Sometimes less is more, specifically when talking about LA high-rise architecture. And the color is depressing. Just paint over the whole thing in white. Stop using tan.
I agree.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 6:39 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I'll wait to reserve final judgement until I see it in person, but from the pictures, I'm gonna have to disagree with most of you. I think it looks like shit. The Streamline-inspired side is ruined with the use of painted stucco (stone could have saved it some style points), and the Highland-facing side is just horrendous. And horrendously lazy. I'm glad that ground floor retail will activate that side of Highland, but design-wise, this makes Hollywood and Highland look good by comparison.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
because this is la. a philistine city.
We all know how much you HATE Los Angeles with passion, but the beige/layer thing is present in many many American cities and it's a strange trend even though it's widely known to be ugly and pointless. Look at any infill condo in Phoenix or Las Vegas- same thing. So don't start spouting your usual bullsh!t again.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:07 PM

edluva, what keeps you living in this philistine city anyways?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 5:16 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
edluva, what keeps you living in this philistine city anyways?
The Israelites have a stronghold near LAX.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Well, the Philistines captured Sampson and he eventually brought down their temples when his hair grew back. This doesn't quite tie back to Griffith's Babylonian set across the street at H&H, but it gets close. If you see a long haired guy around The Jefferson, stand back.

It's true that many of the elements in the Jefferson are popular nowadays. But you can always hope for better.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 8:02 PM

^ "Everything" is designed plain jane these days to save money I guess.

I think even Downtown Denver has more interesting architecture generally speaking, which is sad.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 10:46 PM

I am really tired of all these buildings using half-assed gestures (like two different colors, or a slight set back) to break up facades. It doesnt make the buildings any less bland. They hired architects for this? Where do these people study? What kool-aid are they drinking?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations