HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:26 PM
BANNED

I would argue that New York is having one of their most influential/best decades right now.

2010-2019 has seen incredible growth with impressive additions to their skyline in an already built out - established city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:32 PM

the zenith of portland is happening right now. diy, indie rock, farm to table, crafty sh!t, skateboarding, knitting! while id argue our cultural influence has already peaked, the city is experiencing a bonafide construction boom and hot housing market, neither of which seem to be slowing down. now is probably a good time to be buying spokane real estate!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I would argue that New York is having one of their most influential/best decades right now.

2010-2019 has seen incredible growth with impressive additions to their skyline in an already built out - established city.
New York is influential, always has been, likely always will be. This is not New York's most influential decade though, not by a long shot. As a matter fact, on a relative scale, New York has lost influence and, again on a relative scale, it has as little influence as it has ever had.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would argue that SF's peak is going on right now.
Several people have referred to the zenith or "peak" of a city but I didn't take the thread that way. A city doesn't have to be at its peak to be at its most influential in the world beyond itself. San Francisco is actually a good example of this. San Francisco in the 1960s was not at its economic or power peak but I argue it was at its most influential on the national culture. Hippies flocked there in that decade in large part because its economy was stagnant which made housing cheap but it remained its tolerant, laissez-faire self allowing the counter-culture to "do its thing". Photos of the decade, and even the next one, the 1970s, which I also posted because that was the rise of gay San Francisco, show the majority of the Victorian and Edwardian houses still unrenovated and some delapidated because their former owners had moved to the suburbs without being able to find buyers. This was, of course, before the digital age in which young entrepreneurs and techies also began to come because it still wasn't yet horribly expensive to live in (although certainly there were other factors that made the Bay Area as a whole a digital capital).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:14 PM
The New Republic

Montreal: definitely the 1960s.
Toronto: hasn't happened yet. The city feels like it's still building to the moment when it starts firing on all cylinders. 2030s?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:23 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

1950s would be New York

The 1960s would be San Francisco

Atlanta owned the 1990s.

Los Angeles the 1970s and 1980s

New York the 2000s

San Francisco the 2010s

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
1950s would be New York

The 1960s would be San Francisco

Atlanta owned the 1990s.

Los Angeles the 1970s and 1980s

New York the 2000s

San Francisco the 2010s
I think I agree with one exception. Atlanta 1990s? Is that only because of the Olympics 1996?

I would say that NY and SF own the 2010s together. Also, what is your 2020's prediction?

Anybody, 2020? Is it whoever lands HQ2? (lol)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 9:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ Atlanta because of the 'new south', A Man in Full, John Portman's skyscrapers, mass suburbanization and the growth in the sunbelt, the clinton and gingrich eras (southern politicians in charge of the country), etc.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
^ Atlanta because of the 'new south', A Man in Full, John Portman's skyscrapers, mass suburbanization and the growth in the sunbelt, the clinton and gingrich eras (southern politicians in charge of the country), etc.

William Jefferson Clinton from "R-Kansas"? (500 miles away).

What about local GA boy, Jimmy Carter? The Guvv-nuhh and prez-dent from peanut fah-muhz. He was a good ol' Suth-nuh from Jorr-juh.

Bet yeah, the New South transformation is incredible, although it started much much early than the 1990s and only accelerated on the national scale during this time period.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:04 PM
Never Dell

Seattle's cultural influence was probably its highest in the 90s due to music, coffee, Microsoft (Windows etc.) and the WTO riots.

But it plays a larger role in the world today than it did then, particularly on the tech front. The cloud and online retail are two examples.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:07 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ yes 1990s would have to include Seattle, but...which it comes to being in charge of an era..there can be only one...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i feel like seattle was and is an order of magnitude more influential than atlanta has ever been. thats not to say that atlanta isn’t on the ascent or isn’t important..it is.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This decade from a construction standpoint for LA is a winner. If we are talking this century of course. I like what I see going on in LA.

Going to the South East, the post recession recovery era for Miami has been absolutely bonkers, Lots of growth, and the cranes keep popping up.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle's cultural influence was probably its highest in the 90s due to music, coffee, Microsoft (Windows etc.) and the WTO riots.

But it plays a larger role in the world today than it did then, particularly on the tech front. The cloud and online retail are two examples.
The WTO riots? That was merely a blurb in the news at the time. I remember watching and thinking what the heck is wrong with these people? Goes to show that protesting in that form does nothing, and in fact the opposite result occurs.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:50 PM
Never Dell

That was soooooo much more than a blurb in the news. It was a significant moment in the debate about global trade, local vs. outside control, and so on. It was one of the year's biggest news stories. It was probably also the first time the average taxi driver in Johannesburg ever heard of Seattle. (Agreed they were fighting a losing battle.)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That was soooooo much more than a blurb in the news. It was a significant moment in the debate about global trade, local vs. outside control, and so on. It was one of the year's biggest news stories. It was probably also the first time the average taxi driver in Johannesburg ever heard of Seattle. (Agreed they were fighting a losing battle.)
I'm assuming you're from Seattle and experienced it first hand - it was probably a huge deal for locals. I remember watching on the news and reading it in the paper and discussing it with my dad very concisely (from 3,000 miles away). Back then the U.S. wasn't as nearly partisan as it is today. The overall tone was that this was a riot composed of radicals and the WTO was for the good of all people (yes or no, who knows, but the violence was the story).

Whether you agree with that or not is not up to me, but that was the sentiment of the balanced media of the time. I don't think this would happen today. The media has dug in and chosen sides.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:15 PM
E pluribus unum

The only reason Cincinnati was in the American public's consciousness in the 1970s was for these two things:

Most Reds fans can still recall that starting lineup from memory. As good as they were, the 1977-78 Yankees were the overall better team(s) of the 1970s but there's a SABR argument that might say otherwise (or not, I don't understand that shit at all)

The second reason Cincinnati had any recognition outside of the Midwest in the 1970s had to do with a goofy little sitcom about a failing radio station whose most-famous episode involved throwing live turkeys out of a helicopter as a promotional stunt

Fun fact: There's no WKRP but there is a WKRC radio station (550 AM) and television station (Channel 12, the once-ABC and now current CBS affiliate)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:40 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This decade from a construction standpoint for LA is a winner. If we are talking this century of course. I like what I see going on in LA.
Eh? LA isn't building enough housing; not by a long shot.

Toronto probably deserves this honor.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Eh? LA isn't building enough housing; not by a long shot.

Toronto probably deserves this honor.
Yeah L.A. needs to build build build- everywhere - to play catch up. Maybe the 2020s?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 12:17 AM

Philly: late 18th century

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions