HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #37301  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Assholes. All of them.

They all should go to jail
not sure about that but they should be held to account for sending Chi on a path toward SF-type conditions, albeit less intense in the near term
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37302  
Old Posted Today, 12:44 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
In other zoning change news, 11th ward alderman, Patrick Thompson, is following Leslie Hairston's lead and is downzoning Halsted Street, from 35th St to 38th St, to RS-3 zoning.
Jesus it's like this behavior is spreading. I'm used to a few of these dogs here and there, but this is practically wholesale. Where is Rahm with all of this? The current zoning system clearly needs to go...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37303  
Old Posted Today, 2:18 AM
Hayward's Avatar
Hayward Hayward is offline
Living under the L Tracks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,637
I find it risky to mess with historical zoning on grand scale when the city is facing general population loss EXCEPT in areas where density is permitted. America faces a future where a current generation will be challenged to afford a single family home AND if it is attainable, they choose the suburbs.

Develoment suppression should be limited to historic preservation based on citywide surveys documenting the more complex assemblages of architectural artifacts and execution in buildings throughout the decades. Everything in between is replaceable with higher density where justified:
Near rail stations
At Major intersections
Along geographical boundaries
Within or on the periphery of job centers.

To ease concerns, perhaps density is graduated where the existing conditions are low density. But an abrupt swing in the opposite direction will spell a troubled future for the health of these neighborhoods

Last edited by Hayward; Today at 4:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37304  
Old Posted Today, 3:23 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
In other zoning change news, 11th ward alderman, Patrick Thompson, is following Leslie Hairston's lead and is downzoning Halsted Street, from 35th St to 38th St, to RS-3 zoning.
Hariston is reassessing. The downzoning along 71st hasn't happened.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37305  
Old Posted Today, 3:40 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
atomic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 12,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Yes, indeed. The North Building is facing Warren Blvd, while the South Building is facing Madison Ave. I honestly didn't expect to see this lot developed during this construction boom, so I am fine with what is being proposed.
The applicant is Heartland Alliance, so I'm guessing this will be some kind of supportive housing.

I appreciate the decision to put the taller building on Warren, it's a better drop off zone for cabs/Ubers and it helps frame the park.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37306  
Old Posted Today, 4:08 AM
Chicago Shawn's Avatar
Chicago Shawn Chicago Shawn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Jesus it's like this behavior is spreading. I'm used to a few of these dogs here and there, but this is practically wholesale. Where is Rahm with all of this? The current zoning system clearly needs to go...
This is the type of overreach needed to present a serious legal challenge, just about every building in that stretch does not conform to RS-3, further most are commercial buildings which cannot be used as intended in the future despite the historical legacy. The stretch even includes Schaller's, the oldest operating tavern in the city until it was just closed.

What we need are enough successful challenges in court to declare these broad and random downzonings as unjustified 'takings' and maybe, just maybe we could see an end to aldermanic prerogative in zoning issues. Hell, we already have alderman serving jail time for getting too involved in such decisions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37307  
Old Posted Today, 4:40 AM
Hayward's Avatar
Hayward Hayward is offline
Living under the L Tracks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
This is the type of overreach needed to present a serious legal challenge, just about every building in that stretch does not conform to RS-3, further most are commercial buildings which cannot be used as intended in the future despite the historical legacy. The stretch even includes Schaller's, the oldest operating tavern in the city until it was just closed.

What we need are enough successful challenges in court to declare these broad and random downzonings as unjustified 'takings' and maybe, just maybe we could see an end to aldermanic prerogative in zoning issues. Hell, we already have alderman serving jail time for getting too involved in such decisions.
Isn't this just a form of exclusionary zoning, which is terrible, but legal?

Also, I get that it makes many properties legal non-conforming but I'm not certain that this reduces the property's value (except in great loss that it cannot be rebuilt). But enough to sue? I doubt it...otherwise it would seem a legal road well traveled in this town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.