HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 4:53 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Though I'm not crazy about "ye olde shoppe facade".
I agree...the contrast is jarring. The idea in softening the street level feel of standing at the base of a highrise (especially on a street like Crescent) was good but it could have been executed better-see 999 Peachtree. As is, neither section compliments the other but instead, detracts...akin to the stuccoed 2500 Peachtree with the brick mansion in the front yard...sigh.
To me, the upper portion's design seems rather uninspired & overused and I think it (along with all the buildings with 'grills' dangling from the roofline) will be the avacado appliances of the future.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I'm pleased to see that this new phase doesn't preclude the oft-discussed urban Whole Foods at Crescent and 11th. It looks like it could still happen as a second phase on that block.
Whole Foods would ignite the whole area. You'd think there's enough density now to get one in between Buckhead and O4W. Both those stores do gangbusters and I doubt one in Midtown would hurt them.

Related. I never realized how many people live in apartments near the new O4W park until I drove around to check out the new park and skate park. There's a lot of units back there.

BTW, the new skatepark is incredible. One bowl makes my stomach churn when I stand near the edge. Worth checking out even if you don't like skateboarding.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I'm pleased to see that this new phase doesn't preclude the oft-discussed urban Whole Foods at Crescent and 11th. It looks like it could still happen as a second phase on that block.
I had forgotten about those plans. I also remember some talk about making 12th street pedestrian only but with the garage entrance on 12th, I guess thats already out the window.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 11:10 PM

Novare apartment project

By the way, there is another apartment project that is on the DRC agenda with a target start date of October 2011.

Here's the description and renderings.

Sky House (1084 West Peachtree)

Construction  of  a  new  high‐rise  residential  building  located  at  the  NW  corner  of West  Peachtree  and  12th  Street.  The  project  includes  storefront  retail  on  the ground  floor  of  the  23‐story  building  and  320  residential  units above. Parking for approximately 516 cars will be provided in an adjacent 6‐level parking garage. 

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 13, 2011 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
By the way, there is another apartment project (I assume) that is on the DRC agenda with a target start date of October 2011.

Here's the description and renderings.

Sky House (1084 West Peachtree)

Construction  of  a  new  high‐rise  residential  building  located  at  the  NW  corner  of West  Peachtree  and  12th  Street.  The  project  includes  storefront  retail  on  the ground  floor  of  the  23‐story  building  and  320  residential  units above. Parking for approximately 516 cars will be provided in an adjacent 6‐level parking garage. 

The rooftop pool is awesome! What is the link for this?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:07 AM

Nice density, but why a 516 space detached parking deck for a building with 320 units, two blocks from a MARTA station?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Nice density, but why a 516 space detached parking deck for a building with 320 units, two blocks from a MARTA station?
At least the parking deck will have some retail space.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Thats the only part of this proposal that makes my flesh crawl. I thought we were beyond building stand alone decks on major city streets. It just seems like a huge waste of real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
The rooftop pool is awesome! What is the link for this?

SkyHouse-1084WestPeachtreeStreetDRCPres5-09-2011.pdf

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdan View Post
At least the parking deck will have some retail space.
Yes, but only along 12th Street and at the corner of Spring Street. The rest of the street level will be parking. Nothing kills the pedestrian experience more than a non-active use at the street level. Does the SPI-16 zoning district allow for a parking use on the ground floor on Spring Street? I could have sworn that the majority of the street level must be an active use in SPI-16.

If this parking deck is allowed, we will be going back on all the progress we have made on the pedestrian experience in Midtown over the last 5-10 years. This section of Spring Street will look and feel just like Spring Street between 3rd and 4th behind that hideous BellSouth parking deck.

As much as we all dislike those Novare parking podiums at Spire and ViewPoint, they are worlds better than this new mess Novare is trying to ram down our throats.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 3:05 PM

speaking of apartment projects

Does anyone know what happened to that tivoli apartment project on 13th a while back? I know if had some design issues but did they ever try to solve it? Seems like the time is now if they are going to move on it considering they're about to have a lot of competition. IMO - it's a much nicer site for residential development considering it's location

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 3:33 PM

As I've said on C-D, the city's zoning requirements wrt minimum parking need to be changed before we can yell too loudly about this. Let's get a zoning requirement that limits the amount of onsite parking for a change, and encourages developers to share garages.

Spring Street is almost so far gone, if it weren't for Tech Square I would suggest just zoning the entire street "hulking sterile parking garage" so at least we could sequester that awful land use. Then we can focus on making West Peachtree nice. I jest, of course, but the backsides of all these developments are just hideous.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
Yes, but only along 12th Street and at the corner of Spring Street. The rest of the street level will be parking. Nothing kills the pedestrian experience more than a non-active use at the street level. Does the SPI-16 zoning district allow for a parking use on the ground floor on Spring Street? I could have sworn that the majority of the street level must be an active use in SPI-16.

If this parking deck is allowed, we will be going back on all the progress we have made on the pedestrian experience in Midtown over the last 5-10 years. This section of Spring Street will look and feel just like Spring Street between 3rd and 4th behind that hideous BellSouth parking deck.
I agree and I think this stretch of Spring St south to Tech Sq can still be quite nice because its largely a blank slate.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 5:07 PM

New Emory Medical Research Center under construction

Construction of a new Health Sciences Research Building on the Emory University campus will kick off with an official groundbreaking on June 15.

More than half of the new facility on Haygood Drive will focus on pediatric research through the Emory-Children's Pediatric Research Center, a partnership between Emory and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, who will work closely with key affiliates including Georgia Tech and Morehouse School of Medicine.
The new building will encompass 200,000 gross square feet, with four stories above ground and one floor below grade. In addition to a number of pediatric focus areas, the new research building will include investigations in adult cancer, immunology and drug discovery.
http://shared.web.emory.edu/emory/ne...-building.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
As I've said on C-D, the city's zoning requirements wrt minimum parking need to be changed before we can yell too loudly about this. Let's get a zoning requirement that limits the amount of onsite parking for a change, and encourages developers to share garages.
You really don't know what you're talking about. The City of Atlanta has extremely low parking requirements (less than one space per unit) and some areas, such as Midtown, have caps of 1 space per bedroom. The high percentage of parking being provided is driven by lenders, nothing more.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
You really don't know what you're talking about. The City of Atlanta has extremely low parking requirements (less than one space per unit) and some areas, such as Midtown, have caps of 1 space per bedroom. The high percentage of parking being provided is driven by lenders, nothing more.
I thought I had read basically the opposite in the regulations but I suppose I am wrong. That's a good thing, of course. I don't understand the need for such an aggressive tone, however.

I got the impression from things like this:

Quote:
Residential - 1 per bedroom per unit up to 2 bedrooms + 0.5 spaces for each bedroom greater than 2 + visitor parking
http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...rix_16_sa2.pdf

But who knows, I guess I am reading it wrong. Either way I don't think it's crazy or ridiculous of me to gather that impression.

Also, I can't find anything on a maximum parking amount. Is that in Section 16-18C of the regulations somewhere? It's very hard to read this stuff.

Last edited by testarossa50; Jun 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post

Also, I can't find anything on a maximum parking amount. Is that in Section 16-18C of the regulations somewhere? It's very hard to read this stuff.
Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm sensitive to people always blaming the City of Atlanta for everything, even though most crap done in the city is initiated by banks and developers, not the City's progressive zoning.

SPI 16 reads:

For residential uses MAXIMUM permitted.
a. For resident parking, one parking space per bedroom for up to two bedrooms and one-half parking space for each bedroom unit of three and above may be provided per dwelling unit.
b. For visitor parking, one-third parking space per dwelling unit may be provided.

The Midtown Alliance's website is wrong. Municode.com is always much more reliable.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:23 AM

I have to wonder with Sky House above, if the overbuilding of parking spaces might have to do with maybe a phase II down the road. If you put another tower on top of the deck on the corner there at 12th and Spring, or even 5-6 floors across that whole deck footprint, suddenly it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
I have to wonder with Sky House above, if the overbuilding of parking spaces might have to do with maybe a phase II down the road. If you put another tower on top of the deck on the corner there at 12th and Spring, or even 5-6 floors across that whole deck footprint, suddenly it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Even with another residential tower atop the parking deck, it still wouldn't change the fact that the pedestrian is being completely disregarded on Spring Street. Yes, there's nothing but service entrances and the backs of parking decks from 4th Street southward and from 14th Street northward - but everything in between is fairly decent to the pedestrian (Tech Square, Centergy, Midtown Lofts, Plaza Midtown) or ripe for redevelopment, so why ruin this 10 block stretch of potential with a blank wall that will remain in place for 50+ years providing nothing but a great place for violent crimes to occur unseen to passersby?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I came off as rude. I'm sensitive to people always blaming the City of Atlanta for everything, even though most crap done in the city is initiated by banks and developers, not the City's progressive zoning.

SPI 16 reads:

For residential uses MAXIMUM permitted.
a. For resident parking, one parking space per bedroom for up to two bedrooms and one-half parking space for each bedroom unit of three and above may be provided per dwelling unit.
b. For visitor parking, one-third parking space per dwelling unit may be provided.

The Midtown Alliance's website is wrong. Municode.com is always much more reliable.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 3:36 PM

City Hall East to Become Ponce City Market

According to this morning's Atlanta Business Chronicle, the $180 million project will convert the 2 million square foot former Sears building into a transit oriented development featuring a food hall, restaurants, big box retail and some residential.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...city-hall.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta