HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 9:38 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Has anyone heard any more information about the Shoppes at RiverBend? Did Breland and Kirkendall/Madison come to any agreements?

I did find this about the project:

775,000 sq ft of Anchor Retail
372,000 sq ft of High end Retail
30+ Acres of Outparcel and Entertainment
16 Screen Theater
2 or 3 Hotels with convention space

http://www.saundersrealty.net/Saunde...Huntsville.pdf

I know it is insanely early considering the state that the negotiations are in, but I thought I would throw this out there. How will this development impact Bridge Street, Madison Square Mall, 72 Corridor and Parkway Place?

BKOTH97

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I hope Madison Square Mall doesn't go the way of some of the malls here in Birmingham. Are tenants rapidly moving out? If so, are they being replaced? I've said it before - while the Bridge Street project is great, it seems dangerously close to Madison Square Mall (just a short drive down Research Park Blvd) in terms of drawing away customers/tenants.
Mad Sq is a different type of venue. Bridge may hurt it some but most of the
retailers coming to Bridge Street are more upscale and aren't in the HSV market yet anyway. Bridge Street also doesn't have big anchors like you see
at Madison Sq. If anything it will cause Madison Sq to maintain and upgrade quality. CBL the owner doesn't let it's properties degrade too much.

neilson had an email from CBL on this page
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=70301&page=35

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Mad Sq is a different type of venue. Bridge may hurt it some but most of the
retailers coming to Bridge Street are more upscale and aren't in the HSV market yet anyway. Bridge Street also doesn't have big anchors like you see
at Madison Sq. If anything it will cause Madison Sq to maintain and upgrade quality. CBL the owner doesn't let it's properties degrade too much.

neilson had an email from CBL on this page
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=70301&page=35
Also keep in mind that you can expect Madison Square Mall to keep prominence with those from Harvest/Monrovia, North Huntsville, West Huntsville, UAH, Oakwood, and so on. It won't become ghettoized because Huntsville is not like that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:43 PM
Burming Hammer

^ good replies, both of you. i'm glad to hear that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
^ good replies, both of you. i'm glad to hear that.
See, like the Regal Cinemas at Madison Square Mall. The Bridge Street theater is gonna be probably the most upscale Multiplex east of the Mississippi River so that's not gonna bite into Madison Square 12.

The new AmStar Theater being built at Balch Road and Highway 72 out in Madison(but in Huntsville City Limits) is easily a good 8-10 miles west of Madison Square Mall so I see no real cannibalization there.

And hypothetically if River Bend is built then I don't see its theater affecting Bridge Street or Madison Square.

My biggest worry is with River Bend vis-a-vis Madison Square in regards to Department Stores. We already have 2 Dillards and 2 Belk locations(including 2 Belk stores within Madison Square Mall). You'd think if JC Penney and Sears were looking to grow their presence in Huntsville that they would add a 2nd store in South Huntsville and not in Madison(which traditionally has relied on the Madison Square locations).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

neilson,

I am not so sure that all of those theaters aren't going to hurt each other. As it sits, I drive all the way to Jones Valley to go to the Rave. I haven't been to a theater in West Huntsville or Madison area in a couple of years. I am sure that I am not the only one. Many people will go to the newest / best theater in the area, which means that RAVE could get hit if all of these new theaters are built. The one exception to that could be the one at Bridge Street. I think it is going to be a completely new concept with prices to match. It wouldn't surprise me if tickets to the Bridge Street theater are in the $12+ range. They are intentionally going to keep the prices high to keep the teenagers out....atleast that is my perception. What do you think?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
neilson,

I am not so sure that all of those theaters aren't going to hurt each other. As it sits, I drive all the way to Jones Valley to go to the Rave. I haven't been to a theater in West Huntsville or Madison area in a couple of years. I am sure that I am not the only one. Many people will go to the newest / best theater in the area, which means that RAVE could get hit if all of these new theaters are built. The one exception to that could be the one at Bridge Street. I think it is going to be a completely new concept with prices to match. It wouldn't surprise me if tickets to the Bridge Street theater are in the $12+ range. They are intentionally going to keep the prices high to keep the teenagers out....atleast that is my perception. What do you think?
Well, the inverse of the situation is that you have Rave and Hollywood 18 co-existing just fine in South Huntsville so perhaps we should let that stand on its own merit as an example of how the theater-ation of Western Madison County may pan out.

And to be fair, I've done the same thing too. All the movies I've seen in the past year or so have been at the Rave.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 11:22 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Well, the inverse of the situation is that you have Rave and Hollywood 18 co-existing just fine in South Huntsville so perhaps we should let that stand on its own merit as an example of how the theater-ation of Western Madison County may pan out.

And to be fair, I've done the same thing too. All the movies I've seen in the past year or so have been at the Rave.

Didn't the Hollywood have to drop their prices to $5 to keep people coming?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Didn't the Hollywood have to drop their prices to $5 to keep people coming?
Not sure about that. I know they're still showing 1st Run movies so that's still good.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 1:21 AM

Hollywood doesn't seem to have been affected much by RAVE. RAVE bills itself as a more family-friendly theater, with no showings past 10ish. Hollywood still dominates the post-9PM crowd of moviegoers in the area.

Madison Square 12 and Carmike are the only theaters that serve north and west Huntsville and Madison. Building a new theater at Balch Road won't eat too much into either theater.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 2:32 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Hopefully the Market Square development will bring cinema back downtown.
Entertainment will be a big feature of the project.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 2:47 AM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Hopefully the Market Square development will bring cinema back downtown.
Entertainment will be a big feature of the project.
Tiger,

What info do you have about that development?

Thanks,

BKOTH97

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 2:22 AM
Huntsville Metro Now!

If you look on page 4 of this PDF, you can see the initial plans for the new Catholic High School that will be built in Cummings Research Park (actually, Thornton Research Park). The road in the plans is Old Madison Pike. This will make two K-12 Campuses, a Daycare and one 9-12 Campus within half a mile of each other. Should make it interesting...

http://www.chsfalcons.org/capital_ca...ter%203_07.pdf

It looks like they are close to breaking ground.

Last edited by BKOTH97; Apr 18, 2007 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Has anyone heard any more information about the Shoppes at RiverBend? Did Breland and Kirkendall/Madison come to any agreements?

I did find this about the project:

775,000 sq ft of Anchor Retail
372,000 sq ft of High end Retail
30+ Acres of Outparcel and Entertainment
16 Screen Theater
2 or 3 Hotels with convention space

http://www.saundersrealty.net/Saunde...Huntsville.pdf

I know it is insanely early considering the state that the negotiations are in, but I thought I would throw this out there. How will this development impact Bridge Street, Madison Square Mall, 72 Corridor and Parkway Place?

BKOTH97
Hopefully the de annex issue is dead, now what becomes of the project is still up in the air
"MADISON - State Rep. Mike Ball got a round of applause tonight after telling a crowd of about 50 residents that he believes a proposed bill to deannex 263 acres of property from Madison is a dead issue.

"I've heard from a lot of you on this issue and we haven't addressed it yet ... but this was a dead dog from the start," Ball told Madison residents who turned out for a town hall meeting sponsored by the Republican Women of Madison. "At this point, we don't even need it on our radar but, if it comes back up, we'll kill it again."

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:22 PM
America's Mars Rocket

301 East downtown condo opening soon

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:52 PM
Burming Hammer

^ wow, first time i've seen it built! very nice. how many of the units have been sold?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 5:16 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Another large subdivision is being planned on newly annexed land in west Huntsville.

A city planning subdivision committee reviewed plans today for a 427-lot development off Beadle Lane between Zierdt Road and Wall Triana Highway.

The development is part of a 1,261-lot subdivision that would spill over on land that property owner and developer Louis Breland plans to have annexed into Huntsville, according to Gerald Martin of Martin Surveys.

City Planner Marie Bostick said the total layout plan couldn't be considered because all of the tract isn't in the city. The first phase of the proposed Willows at River Landing development adjoins Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge.

The subdivision panel forwarded the plans to the Planning Commission without a recommendation to iron out concern the subdivision would have only one entrance off a main road.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 5:20 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
^ wow, first time i've seen it built! very nice. how many of the units have been sold?
not sure, I'm more interested to see what kind of retail takes up space
on the first floor. A food market/deli of some type would be excellent,
barber shop,flower/candy shop would probably all do well.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 6:35 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

So, When are we all going to get together and tear down the courthouse and turn the square into a park? That would be great for downtown. I believe it would also would spur development around the square.

Anyone free on Saturday?

Who is with me?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 6:46 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
So, When are we all going to get together and tear down the courthouse and turn the square into a park? That would be great for downtown. I believe it would also would spur development around the square.

Anyone free on Saturday?

Who is with me?

I'm not a fan of that idea, i would be for rebuilding a replica of the one that was there before. The inside of the courthouse is actually pretty neat, with the free flowing stairways and mosaics.
development around the square is pretty much complete, all the buildings except maybe a couple have all been renovated and are in use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast