Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:13 PM

I was going to say these two as well.

[IMG]DSC07227.JPG by edanastas, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto Dominion Centre by Gustavo Thomas, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I have to say I really don't feel that Toronto ressembles Montreal at all. I feel completely in a different city when I'm in Toronto. I don't think there is one single intersection where you could drop me in Toronto and I would not know instantly that i'm not in Montreal anymore. It's a good thing by the way. For me, Ottawa looks a lot more like Toronto, albeit in a much much smaller scale.
agreed

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:34 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I certainly find Toronto-Vancouver comparisons more apt. Montreal felt like a very different beast, while those two feel very similar.
I don't find Toronto and Vancouver that similar either.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:39 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
I have to say I really don't feel that Toronto ressembles Montreal at all. I feel completely in a different city when I'm in Toronto. I don't think there is one single intersection where you could drop me in Toronto and I would not know instantly that i'm not in Montreal anymore. It's a good thing by the way. For me, Ottawa looks a lot more like Toronto, albeit in a much much smaller scale.
I feel the same as you too. I go to Toronto quite often, as I really love that place, and one of the reasons is that it feels foreign (in its urban form and scale, the vigour of its new developments, in its cultural life, in the way people have to interact on the street or to invest the public space...) I think both cities are their own thing, 100%. And I am positive about it. In a way, it's a matter of bay and gable versus greystone rowhouse.

If I were obliged to find similarities, or equivalents, then maybe parts of The Annex can feel like Outremont (because of the trees, the scale and the presence of red-brown brick semi-detached houses), or that East York, Christie Pits (strange name) or Dovercourt Park can look a little like post-war Ahuntsic (the part west of Saint-Laurent, at least), but the vernacular and street layout is different enough in any case to make you feel you are not home anymore.

We coud say that King St. is Toronto's boul. René-Lévesque.
Some already made a parallel between Sainte-Catherine and Yonge. I think it works too.
High Park could be parc Angrignon. Or parc Maisonneuve.
And Toronto Island Park would be parc Jean-Drapeau (though, you know, the scale... haha).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:52 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Maybe I should better explain what I meant. One thing that became obvious to me quickly when I first arrived in Canada, was that we have a disproportionately high number of brutalist buildings and very spacious streets, avenues and open spaces between buildings, especially compared to most European cities. Toronto and Montreal both share this vernacular to varying degrees in different neighbourhoods.

Both Toronto and Montreal are oversized Hamiltons and Ottawas in many ways, architecturally speaking. Increasingly this is changing as there's more Vancouver-style shiny polished condos and Toronto style shiny polished glass office towers thrown into the mix.

I'm sure Montreal had a great influence on Toronto as well being the older city and original metropolis, before the 70's, but I'm not old enough to know what that was.

US cities tend to have tons of turn of the century architecture and 80's architecture, that whole 60's/70's brutalist stuff doesn't exist to the same extent (I'm assuming it's due to Canadian cities essentially booming and coming of age during that time).

Being the two largest examples of the Canadian vernacular, that's why I felt a sense of familiarity in downtown Montreal that I also felt in downtown Toronto. This is changing rapidly, however as Toronto's recent boom is rapidly changing the architectural mix in the city and Montreal is also polishing up its urban environment. The two cities are indeed very unique with very different personalities, but as someone who was once an outsider, I can see how they are definitely siblings.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I was going to say these two as well.

[IMG]DSC07227.JPG by edanastas, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto Dominion Centre by Gustavo Thomas, on Flickr[/IMG]
Both designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:34 PM

/\ Well, yeah, I think that was the point

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Since Toronto and Montreal ARE different cities, it's not a surprising reaction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:41 PM

/\ Going out of your way to not understand what I meant, aren't you ?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:13 AM
recession proof

South Etobicoke is kind of like suburban Montreal: especially around the Royal York/Mimico/New Toronto areas--quite a number of walk up apartment buildings, old industrial buildings and retail strips/churches etc.

Also check out parts of Forest Hill, Vaughan Road, Bathurst, St Clair and Eglinton.

I kind of wish Toronto was located where Laval is, spreading north to St Jerome and west to the Ottawa River.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:13 AM

Going along St. Clair Ave., there's a Westmount vibe around Yonge and Avenue Rd., and an NDG vibe around Vaughan Rd.?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Going along St. Clair Ave., there's a Westmount vibe around Yonge and Avenue Rd., and an NDG vibe around Vaughan Rd.?
Completely agree.

Lawton Blvd & Oriole Parkway/Chaplin near Davisville station also reminds me of parts of Outremont a bit

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Nov 8, 2022 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Well, this picture is looking North from Queen-Mary road. South of this intersection, I call it "mass demolition of urban neighborhood". Each red dot represent a demolished building (photo from 1947).

(sorry for the big ass picture )
To me the Gardiner makes a better comparison for the partially tunneled Ville-Marie expressway since they both pass right through downtown. Decarie is basically the Allen Expressway had it been built to original plan. Definitely would have been lots of red dots with that one.

Could also compare Decarie to the DVP in terms of respective roles but they have very different vibes.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:50 AM

I've always thought University & Levesque were similar streets. Rather wide and more educational/governmental/institutional streets. Although University is much more attractive.

Lower Donlands/Portlands and Griffintown.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:51 AM

As far as Vancouver, it's not in Montreal or Toronto's urban league but to compare it to Laval or Longueil is patently ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:54 AM

Interestingly travelling up Avenue Rd. you get a bit of a Westmount-ish transition. Av and Dav, Summerhill, Rathnelly etc. have a sort of lower Westmount vibe. While upper Westmount sort of feels like the top of the Avenue Rd. hill.

Last edited by Docere; Nov 8, 2022 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:24 PM

Sherbrooke St. through Westmount has much more grace, though.

Avenue Road is a pretty awful traffic sewer between Bloor and St. Clair. Walking up Avenue Road kind of reminds me of walking in LA.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:41 PM
video et taceo

Avenue Road has some Wilshire elements for sure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:43 PM
video et taceo

St. Clair just west of Yonge is a little reminiscent of Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills, too.

Toronto actually can have a bit of an LA feel outside its innermost core. It's not always at all a bad thing either.

(It is early evening, dark and rainy on my treeless, narrow 19th century street, and I would love to be driving down Wilshire right now. It is sad that I am not doing this, in fact.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:18 PM

I like LA a lot, and I never get tired of visiting it, but it's not a city for leisurely walking.

It'll be weird because there will be all these record stores and vintage clothing stores, and other accoutrements of urban life, but they'll be strung out along a six lane arterial with traffic rushing past at 70 km/h, and every intersection will have dedicated left turn signals and an intimidating walk across 7 traffic lanes.

Interestingly enough, the longest single urban walk I ever did was in LA - from the Farmer's Market back to downtown, but in a big arc stretching north into Los Feliz, Silver Lake and Echo Park - but that was because the whole city had a bit of a low intensity urban buzz over a vast distance that kept me wanting to prod on, whereas if the city were any less dense or interesting, like a Houston or a typical North American suburb, there would be next to no point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada