HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:20 PM

City council preps for voting on Rays' stadium
Thursday, June 5, 2008

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- It is voting day for St. Petersburg city leaders.

Up for debate: the much-hyped downtown waterfront stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Today, the city council will take the first of three votes on the issue.

Specifically, council members will decide if the referendum process will begin to let voters have their say on the issue in November. If they vote no, the whole thing is dead. But if they vote yes, the process of drafting the referendum language will get underway.

Councilman Karl Nurse is against the stadium but wants voters to have their say.

"Give voters the choice to say.. 'okay.' This is the last time we want to deal with this on the waterfront.' said Nurse. "And if they vote in favor..of the other of preserving the Al Lang site, then we won't be talking about plan B.. C.. Or plan D."

The city council will take a second vote in July and a final one in August. During the final vote in August, council members will hold a second reading of the referendum.

Council members would get a chance to kill the referendum altogether at that time.

If the referendum gets through the third vote, it will appear on the November ballot.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...voting+on+Rays

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:29 PM
urbanphile

So, what was the outcome? Did city council kill it or not?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 10:03 PM

Sorry I haven't updated the thread. No the council didn't kill it. Approved it 7-1. Also the developer was picked by the mayor yesterday -- the Archstone Maddison Marquette plan (Ecoverde). I believe I have that plan detailed ont eh previous page.

Last edited by John F; Jun 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:58 PM

Officials ask why Rays ballpark has to be waterfront
Sunday, June 15, 2008

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- As the debate over the proposed Tampa Bay Rays stadium continues to rage, some public officials are wondering: why does it have to be on the waterfront?

According to Bay News 9's partner paper, The St. Petersburg Times, public officials are asking why the Rays aren't exploring the other sites for the new stadium.

Some of the other sites public officials say could work include the Toytown landfill, Derby Lanes, the Florida State Fairgrounds and the St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport. They are also wondering why re-vamping the current site doesn't seem to be an option, either.

Rays officials say they need a new home before the Tropicana lease expires in 2027. However, the team is facing considerable opposition from local residents in its quest for a new stadium. A recent St. Petersburg Times/Bay News 9 exclusive poll found that two-thirds of respondents were against the idea.

**** There is a more elaborated story on this in the St. Petersburg Times this morning but the failure fo both articles is that they only cite Pinellas county locations. They seem to have drawn the conclusion that Pinellas County is THE draw for the Rays and the majority of the Tampa Bay metroplex and the greater West Central florida region need not apply.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 7:01 PM

3D model

Here's a video of the Ballpark in a 3d representation. It amy also be on Youtube -- I know there is one such video out there but this is different.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:11 PM

Not surprising in the least. This comes on the heels of large public dispproval of the project. Word of mouth (I lack poll data) says 60+ percent are opposed to the plan. It has seemed rushed and the timing is poor at best, as the first rumblings of this project came out in November 2007 as the economy was coming undone:

Rays may put brakes on stadium push

By Aaron Sharockman and Stephen Nohlgren, Times Staff Writers

Published Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:29 PM

ST. PETERSBURG — The Tampa Bay Rays may soon abandon their push for a November referendum to build a $450-million waterfront stadium.

An announcement could come as early as today, city and county officials with knowledge of the Rays' plan told the St. Petersburg Times late Tuesday. The Rays have contemplated delaying a vote on the stadium until 2010.

The team is "considering a change of direction," said Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch. "I'm just glad from the county's perspective that folks are not talking about forcing a November referendum."

Rays executives did not return calls for comments Tuesday, and team officials denied as late as Monday the possibility of pushing back the referendum. Senior vice president Michael Kalt was scheduled to make a stadium presentation to a coalition of beach communities this morning.

News of a delay would slow down a process that city and county leaders from the beginning said was moving too quickly. The Rays announced their proposal to build a 34,000-seat ballpark at the site of Al Lang Field on Nov. 28.

No one the Times spoke with on Tuesday expected the Rays to halt their quest for a new ballpark, or even one on the waterfront. But the extra time would allow the city and county to consider possible alternative locations for a new stadium.

"It's fairly obvious this process needs to slow down," said Welch, who spoke with Rays president Matt Silverman this week about delaying a citywide vote on the stadium plan.

Mayor Rick Baker, who officials say knows of the Rays' plans, did not return calls for comments.

Members of the St. Petersburg City Council were unaware of a possible delay. "If the rumor is in fact true, I am pleased to hear it," said City Council member Herb Polson.

City Council member Jeff Danner said he heard the Rays were preparing to make a big announcement, but he did not know what it was.

From the beginning, the Rays argued for a 2008 referendum to capitalize on the high voter turnout associated with a presidential campaign.

Quietly, team officials think that a broader electorate might help the Rays. They also said the project's cost would likely escalate if a vote was pushed back because of the rising price of steel and concrete.

But city and county leaders consistently have argued for a possible "Plan B." Former City Council member and likely mayoral candidate Bill Foster became the latest to advocate a more protracted approach last week, when he suggested forming a baseball blue ribbon committee.

St. Petersburg's Council of Neighborhood Associations, which opposes a November referendum, also has asked the team and city to slow down.

A referendum of St. Petersburg voters is required because the Rays are seeking to lease waterfront property for the new ballpark. A non-waterfront location would not require a citywide vote, though city officials may insist on one anyway.

-------------

Last edited by John F; Jun 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM. Reason: misplaced personal comment

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:56 PM

p[ress conferene now on air in the Tampa Bay region on Bay News 9 -- I'm unable to follow it but I will have a transcript up when available.

buh bye

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 4:25 PM

It's been a long while since I updated this post... It's still relevant just because the entire stadium saga is unsettled in Tampa / St. Pete.

And I do put Tampa first and foremost because a war is brewing between the two municipalities about the location of a future Rays stadium.

The waterfront ballpark concept in Downtown St. Pete is long dead... Between the real estate market collapse, NIMBY's and logistics, the location had FAIL written all over it.

A task force was set up to study a new Rays ballpark location and after 18 months, they presented findings about stadium locales -- they basically said downtown St. Pete is a bad location for the Rays, too out-of-the-way. A more centralized location for a new stadium was vital in drawing more people in the region and also being more accessible to local businesses and corporate basis (from which to draw season ticket holders from). There were 5 locations presented for potential ballparks and three of them were outside the St. Pete city limits.

Which has St. Pete threatening to sue anyone who even brings up the subject of the Rays moving out of the St. Pete city limits. The Rays lease at Tropicana Field runs until 2027 and St. Pete plans to hold them to that lease agreement -- and do what they can to keep the team for themselves.

Meanwhile, there is a group in Tampa trying to get land together in two separate locations in downtown Tampa (Channelside, which has the convention center, the St. Pete Times Forum and hotels and what not; and a former public housing tract known as Central Park which is just northeast of downtown). There are no renderings or anything constructive regarding the Tampa people, except the fact they're trying to do this privately and not on the public dime.

www.builditdowntowntampa.org is their site.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 8:03 PM

I'm glad the city decided not to tear down the Trop and AL Lang Field. I'm also glad the city didn't mess with the bay.

What I am hoping for in the next proposal is..
1. Another location on the bay or some waterfront
2. A bigger ballpark than 35k
3. The same design with the tent and tower.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I'm glad the city decided not to tear down the Trop and AL Lang Field. I'm also glad the city didn't mess with the bay.

What I am hoping for in the next proposal is..
1. Another location on the bay or some waterfront
2. A bigger ballpark than 35k
3. The same design with the tent and tower.
The whole catch is accessibility, and there aren't many locations on the waterfront that are open and accessible to outsiders. And right now, the Rays are struggling to draw fans to a 36+ thousand seat ballpark, they aren't going to go larger than 35K.

I highly doubt the sail concept is employed in the next ballpark rendering, wherever it may be.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development