HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 1:22 AM

Community Development - Blatchford

I figured the rest of Canada might want to hear about what's going on with Edmonton City Centre Airport in the days before it's first stages of closure ...

Lobby group shares its vision of City Centre Airport

Quote:
The group petitioning to keep the City Centre Airport open took the opportunity Thursday to unveil its development plans for the airport. The initiative comes as one of the airport's runways is scheduled to close.

Envision Edmonton is still working to gather close to 78,000 signatures to force the city to revisit the decision of closing the airport. The first of two runways at the City Centre Airport is scheduled to close next week.

Mayor Stephen Mandel has maintained that the airport lands will be transformed into an urban setting with residential properties.

Envision Edmonton unveiled renderings of what it wants to see on the airport lands, which includes two possible LRT options that would run west or east of the site as well as a new building hub in hopes of doubling the airport's current 1,200 person workforce.

(...)

dmonton Airports says it will start to close down one runway in the coming days. It's also invested $20 million to ensure tenants can move their planes to existing hangars or even build their own hangars at the International Airport or Villneuve Airports.

Envision Edmonton says it progressing with its petition campaign. Officials maintain they have roughly 50,000 signatures to date.
Rest here: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...9?hub=Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 1:44 AM
Change is good

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 1:50 AM
Youth of a Nation

Isn't that Airport used for Indy? If they close that airport there wont be anymore Indy there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Isn't that Airport used for Indy? If they close that airport there wont be anymore Indy there.
The runways and airport don't actually need to be in operation to have the race there.

Plus, it will take decades to develop and fill in all that land - plenty of time to find an alternative site for the Indy (if it's still held in Edmonton after the next 3 years are up).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:38 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
From what I understand, the Indy has its own sustainability issues. They've been through several sponsors since its inception, and its losing money. So, really, it could be the Edmoton Indy in Calgary or the Edmonton Indy in Vancouver pretty soon.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:46 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
From what I understand, the Indy has its own sustainability issues. They've been through several sponsors since its inception, and its losing money. So, really, it could be the Edmoton Indy in Calgary or the Edmonton Indy in Vancouver pretty soon.
or perhaps read up on it some more.

It started off with CHAMP, now IRL, and has multiple sponsors for multiple reasons.

It has been run/produced by multiple groups, perhaps the wrong one most recently, and has huge overhead due to being a temporary course.

Crowds have not been the issue and while IRL does not release stats, I have worked it every year and crowd levels have been strong each year, even if lower totals due to organizer changes.

The Octane group (think F1 race guys) of Montreal have now relieved the City of Edmonton from running it which will immensely help in logistics, programming (both on and off site), and experience in running a viable race. They have a 3 yr contract which will take the race to 2013 at the very least...

I think that Edmonton will hold on to and grow the race weekend here and while I would love to see a return to Vancouver as a race fan, I do not believe it will be our race moving there in the near future.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:23 PM
Community Guy

^it could potentially stay there, or there are other options for keeping it here such as a street circuit.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:40 PM
I am a typical

I thought it was already shut down?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I thought it was already shut down?
City Council voted for a phased closure.

One runway shuts down this August 4, and the other runway shuts down at a later date (not yet determined).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:57 PM
Community Guy

which also means that part of the airport overlay will be gone...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:03 PM
HVAC guru

I was just approached to sign this petition at my workplace.

I declined, but listened to the individual give the reasons for the petition to one of my co-workers.... all about STARS and how people will die if the airport is closed.

It really is quite a fear campaign

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:06 PM

^^Yep. Oliver really needs some height in the 90m-120m range. The Pearl will be a nice start. I can also see this being more attractive to developing the Warehouse District (part of Downtown north of Jasper, east of 109 St, west of 103 St, and south of 104 Ave) as IIRC the overlay is lifted for 105 St and west.

Even if the Indy chose not to stay in Edmonton with the closure for whatever reasons, I'd still be glad the City's finally looking for redevelopment of the site.

^ LOL. Hospital services work in other cities without the proximity to (a) Airport. For those that don't know, Royal Alexandra Hospital and Glenrose Hospital are blocks from the YXD.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:14 PM
HVAC guru

^ Of course, but if you are trying to rile the masses, the best way to do it is with a fear campaign

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 6:21 PM
So very tired...

Fscking wankers. We already had this plebiscite many years ago. If anything the 'close' side should have more numbers today.

Perhaps the thing to do at this point is organize a 'Redevelop the airport lands' counter movement to fight the propaganda. I really don't see why anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn't agree that closing the airport is the best thing for Edmonton. If they get their vote and lose again it should effectively be the proverbial nail in their coffin.

Who wants to step up and get the ball rolling?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 8:08 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton’s mayor slams Smith for airport remarks

Wildrose leader demanding the city have further debate on downtown airport

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz0vCLholpG

EDMONTON — Mayor Stephen Mandel lashed out at Wildrose Alliance Leader Danielle Smith Friday for wading into the airport debate, something he says is a city matter and of no concern to an unelected provincial politician.

“Most Edmontonians, and myself included, take offence when Calgarians tell us how we should run our city,” Mandel said.

The mayor was livid that Smith held a press conference at the City Centre Airport this morning, demanding the city have further debate on whether to keep the airport running.

Smith argued Edmontonians should hold a plebiscite to decide the matter.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz0vCLO4Cj5

Good for Mandel, & to hell with Smith & her bunch of oil company puppets.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 8:40 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
“Most Edmontonians, and myself included, take offence when Calgarians tell us how we should run our city,” Mandel said.
So guys, I have a bunch of suggestions on how you should deal with this whole city centre airport thing...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Edmonton’s mayor slams Smith for airport remarks

Wildrose leader demanding the city have further debate on downtown airport

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz0vCLholpG

EDMONTON — Mayor Stephen Mandel lashed out at Wildrose Alliance Leader Danielle Smith Friday for wading into the airport debate, something he says is a city matter and of no concern to an unelected provincial politician.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz0vCLO4Cj5

Good for Mandel, & to hell with Smith & her bunch of oil company puppets.

I think Mandel summed it up best with that quote

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 8:41 PM

The funny thing is, the more support that this group gets from Calgary-based influences over Edmonton-based ones, the worse their case becomes for keeping it open.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:01 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
The funny thing is, the more support that this group gets from Calgary-based influences over Edmonton-based ones, the worse their case becomes for keeping it open.
Very true, I would think Mayor Mandel's line is enough to garner more support to stick with the original plan of shutting it down.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 12:08 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Why can't it be more like Dunsfold Park, in Surrey, England? It's a business park, with a racetrack, and an airstrip. For those who watch Top Gear on BBC, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Then again, the decision has already been made. For whatever reason why the airport needs to be closed, I'm sure it's for the better of Edmonton.

I'm sure the Edmonton Indy would be there for the remainder of its contract, once the airport closes. After that, it's up to the IRL if they want to remain there, or whatever plan that the city has in mind for the airport forces the IRL to go somewhere else.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton