HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
Oh man, I was kinda hoping the observatory was on the eastern side, not the western side. The real prize there was to see the unprecedented views of the Chrysler’s epic top up close!
That's just a portion of the outdoor deck.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/3/1660...-photos-touhey

Peek behind the construction fence of One Vanderbilt
See the construction site like you’ve never seen it before

BY TANAY WARERKAR
NOV 3, 2017

MAX TOUHEY

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I like #1 best. From within, it looks less "claustrophobic" and from the outside, aside from the clear glass it somewhat breaks up the monotony of the surrounding skin.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Nov 4, 2017 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Text removal. NYGuy beat me to the punch. ;)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:37 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It obviously isn't marketing office space to Barb's Vacuum Cleaner Repair of Muncie, IN

I've fallen for this one, what a treat! This is a development that actually cares about the city it's in.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:53 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I don't want to get into a Political discussion, but anyone who thinks the financial industry is looking out for the interests of their clients is just hopelessly naive. These people don't produce anything of value, they just try to skim a little bit off the top of everyone else's work.
Probably. But that's irrelevant to your question and the answer. The building will be as opulent as it's going to be because the financial industry tenants have the money, and they want to and will pay for such opulence.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
I don't want to get into a Political discussion, but anyone who thinks the financial industry is looking out for the interests of their clients is just hopelessly naive. These people don't produce anything of value, they just try to skim a little bit off the top of everyone else's work.
(Also not wanting to go political, but...)

Ironically, the financial industry very much helped produce One Vanderbilt, in that they knew how to find $1.5 billion dollars for SL Green to actually build the thing:

SL Green Closes on $1.5B Construction Loan for One Vanderbilt

If the bankers skimmed too much money off that deal, then the answer is to make it as easy as possible for some other company to start up, do it better and cheaper, and take all of their business. Dodd-Frank and the mountains of regulations that existed prior to that aren't a step in that direction.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:12 PM

They are "only" tenants but since the 1960's TD Bank and good design in tall buildings have had a very well known shared history (google Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson, Phyllis Lambert and Toronto TD Bank Centre). I am excited that TD Bank will inhabit another trophy building, this time in NYC.

Last edited by BoM Trespasser; Nov 7, 2017 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 1:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 9:05 AM

What is gonna be on the inside of the section below the spire and above the top actual floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 10:30 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 3:29 PM

Lord Vanderbilt. Rise.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 11:05 AM
JoeCooper

I may sound like a Buzzkill, but as much as I like this building, I see there a problem with an observation on this one for two reasons. :

1.) NYC is already saturated with observatories all around the same height (roughly 1,000 feet above the ground with the exception of 1WTC. Would there be anything special with this one? Are we already over-saturated with decks of this

2.) Not to get into the competition, but seeing there are several observatories 1,500 and above out there, I don't see it necessary for a new one to come on board until this happens. NYC gets a 2,000 footer or an observation over the height mentioned.

Just an observation~~

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
...NYC is already saturated with observatories all around the same height (roughly 1,000 feet above the ground with the exception of 1WTC. Would there be anything special with this one?...
You can see the Chrysler Building up close from this one. That is on it's own a very special feature to an observation deck! Because of Metlife Building blocking you can't do that from 30 rock and ESB is too far away, you can't see the details.
..So there is that + a whole new vantage point for the entire midtown view!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i get joe coop and i kind of agree, that is that we are getting saturated with these, but yeah the up close chrysler views and the new east side views make up for it i think, or hope.

i miss the beekman by the united nations, i dont think thats open to the public anymore.

really though you can’t have enough observation sites scattered around.

today

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I may sound like a Buzzkill, but as much as I like this building, I see there a problem with an observation on this one for two reasons. :

1.) NYC is already saturated with observatories all around the same height (roughly 1,000 feet above the ground with the exception of 1WTC. Would there be anything special with this one? Are we already over-saturated with decks of this

2.) Not to get into the competition, but seeing there are several observatories 1,500 and above out there, I don't see it necessary for a new one to come on board until this happens. NYC gets a 2,000 footer or an observation over the height mentioned.

Just an observation~~

Then you don't get New York City. This building won't stand "next door" to the other observation decks. There are tourists who will go to the west side who won't make it Downtown. There are tourists who will make it to Rockefeller Plaza, and there are tourist who will make it Downtown to the WTC. And there are tourists who will make it all the way to Staten Island to see and ride the giant "wheel", and those that simply want to climb the "Vessel". It's not a one trick town, there are options, always options and not everyone will do everything. This observation deck, which by the way won't be open late like the others (it will double as event space) will offer a different vantage point. Very few people will make all the decks, or even go to more than one. If a new show opens on Broadway, we won't say there are already too many shows there.

Personally speaking though, I for one will be at them all.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:10 PM

Well said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive