HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 11:10 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The Court Square Blog:

Demolition begins at old 5Pointz building
By CtSqLIC 3 March 2014

Quote:
Jerry Wolkoff’s highly controversial project at 45-46 Davis Street,1 formerly the home of graffiti mecca 5Pointz, has finally begun demolition. In the past week, we’ve seen asbestos abatement crews working around the construction site.

It is the first major movement we’ve seen on these buildings since Wolkoff’s decision to whitewash the art back in mid-November. When all is said and done, there will be two luxury rental high-rises.
Crews have begun work on the old 5Pointz building

Wolkoff has received approval for asbestos abatement

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Down she goes.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 8:53 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

This is pretty epic:

As of March 9th, 2014...

©jowy on Instagram

©freelancechick on Instagram

©josh schneps on Twitter

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Let me guess... it was one of the those artists??

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

^ A wast of time and energy. They should be out securing a new space to showcase their "art".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ A wast of time and energy. They should be out securing a new space to showcase their "art".
Why? Didn't you hear? The artists owned that building.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:35 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Well don't that tickle my funny bone!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:15 PM

Say what you will about those artists' legal and/or moral claims to the building (and I mostly agree that they don't have much standing), but they made it a unique and interesting place - the sort of place that New York could use more of. The condescension towards them is rather off-putting.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Say what you will about those artists' legal and/or moral claims to the building (and I mostly agree that they don't have much standing), but they made it a unique and interesting place - the sort of place that New York could use more of. The condescension towards them is rather off-putting.
I agree. It is a shame the building is being torn down.

What is infuriating is how the artists acted. They choose to piss all over the good will of the owner who let them use his building, free of charge, for 20 years. They chose not to thank him for his generosity, but act like spoiled, entitled a**holes and dragged his name through the mud. They chose to ignore that he made it clear that the building was always intended to be developed at some point. They chose to act like petulant, miserable children. Oh, and can you imagine if one of these artists who claimed that they owned the building injured themselves - a possible scenario given the buildings age and condition? The developer would be in litigation for 20 years...no way would he or any other sane human want that threat looming over their heads...

Oh, and after he decided to develop his building, which, once again, he let them use free of charge for decades, he offered to create a large space for them to do their work, again, free of charge. What did they do? They basically told him to f**k himself because they were entitled to more.

Every single one of those bottom feeders can go to hell. I agree, 5-points is a loss and it would be nice if more sites like it sprung up, but I think most of the ire in this thread isn't directed at 5-pointz the structure, but the disgusting people trying to prevent it from being developed.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
NO, their total lack of respect for the landowner that allowed them to use the building at all is what's off-putting. I can't imagine anyone being gracious enough to let these ingrates do that again in the future. Why would anyone want to deal with this harassment? Their behavior amounts to that of spoiled, rotten brats, and I have absolutely no sympathy for this behavior. What's more, they should be arrested like vandals, this is private property.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...velopers-side/

5Pointz unvarnished: the developer’s side
The Wolkoffs defend decision to whitewash their famed graffiti-covered
buildings and talk about their first residential project in decades

May 01, 2014
By Christopher Cameron

Quote:
G&M Realty’s Jerry and David Wolkoff have kept a relatively low profile despite years of developing projects in the outer boroughs and on Long Island, as well as managing 15 million square feet of industrial and commercial space.

But the father–and-son duo were recently thrust into the spotlight when they whitewashed the so-called 5Pointz building they own in Long Island City, which since the 1990s was a premier destination for street artists, who adorned it with brightly covered graffiti. The controversial middle-of-the-night paint job was done to make way for two high-rise towers containing 800 luxury rentals and more than 200 affordable units, for a total cost of $400 million.

Soon after plans were announced, a cadre of 17 artists filed a lawsuit in federal court in Brooklyn to block the demolition. However, on Nov. 19, after both a federal judge and the Landmarks Preservation Commission refused to stop the plans, the Wolkoffs had the building quietly painted over. The family received a permit for remediation in mid-March and hopes to receive a demolition permit in the next month.

Despite the negative press, the Wolkoffs told The Real Deal they have no regrets.

“I don’t have any mixed feelings about the demolition,” David, 47, said during an interview last month. “I think this is a very exciting project. I think it is going to be great for the community and the neighborhood.”

Jerry, 77, added that the new development will still honor the old 5Pointz with large walls for graffiti.

“I will bring back the aerosol artists, because I like them and I like what they do,” he said. “The work these artists do with a spray-paint can is mind-boggling to me. I really appreciate their work.”

5Pointz is born

.....By the time David was studying real estate and finance in college, his father was a major Brooklyn and Staten Island homebuilder, before transitioning the business into commercial and industrial development. At the time, the late 1970s, Long Island City was a bustling manufacturing hub, and the Wolkoffs were buying up property in the area. One such site was 5Pointz, a cluster of 10 interconnected industrial buildings on a full square block at 45–46 Davis Street.

Jerry paid just over $1 million for the properties, which total 200,000 square feet and served as a garment hub until the 1990s, when manufacturing began to die off in New York. At that point he converted the complex into studios to house roughly 200 artists and met Pat Delillo, the aerosol artist behind the Phun Factory, an organization that gave talented-but-publicly maligned graffiti artists a legal space to express themselves.

Sympathetic to the arts, the Wolkoffs gave Delillo and his ragtag painters permission to cover 5Pointz with their aerosol art. As the project grew, 5Pointz became a prestigious space where acclaimed street artists were invited to show their work, with Jonathan Cohen, known in the graffiti world as Meres One, as curator.

“Graffiti is a wonderful self-expression,” David said. “We like to think of ourselves, as developers, as creative types in some form or fashion. I find that street art can be very poignant. I love the colors, the movement and the depth of what these artists can do.”

But despite his longtime relationship with the Wolkoffs, Meres One was one of the most vocal opponents of the demolition. However, the developers claim that they were always upfront with the artists about their long-term intention to demolish and replace 5Pointz. They had, in fact, issued only month-to-month leases for over a decade for that very reason, the Wolkoffs told TRD.

“I believe I was on the forefront of showing that aerosol art could be done in a proper manner,” Jerry said. “For 20 years I allowed more than 100,000 paintings to exist on my building, but now that I want to build something great for the neighborhood, Meres and the others acted like the building was theirs, even though they knew all along that this was temporary.”

While some opponents characterize the Wolkoffs as ruthless capitalists willing to destroy a much-loved cultural institution to cash in on luxury development, the pair rebutted that notion.

“There is nothing to be ashamed or upset about. We have had this planned for the last 12 years,” David said. “It just took a long time for Long Island City to have enough momentum to support a project like this.”

Beyond 5Pointz

And the momentum in Long Island City is, of course, palpable.

Approximately 9,000 residential units, including those at the 5Pointz site, are planned for the neighborhood, according to estimates from the brokerage MNS.

According to the Wolkoffs, the new 5Pointz will function more as “community” than a traditional residential building, with 50,000 square feet of retail, 12,000 square feet of artist studios, graffiti space on the concrete walls, tennis and basketball courts, a swimming pool, a gym, media and party rooms, a 250-space parking garage and a new public park.

While the project is still in the planning stages, the Wolkoffs said that the vast majority of the units will be studios and one bedrooms, with some two and three bedroom units. Apartments at the project, which is scheduled for completion in 2016, will range in size from 500 to 1,200 square feet. Rents have not yet been set.

And area brokers, even those who are graffiti art collectors, are on board.

“The old 5Pointz was nice while it lasted, but things progress,” said Eric Benaim, CEO of the Long Island City-based residential brokerage Modern Spaces and a street art collector. (Benaim’s collection includes works by the British graffiti artist Banksy and other well-known names like KAWS, Nick Walker, FAILE and Mr. Brainwash.)

“I’m excited for the art studios that will be coming at the base of the building. Plus there is a good portion of retail, which we need more of in Court Square,” he said.

As evidenced by the amount of time they spent waiting to redevelop 5Pointz, sources say the Wolkoffs are actually conservative developers, rarely taking on debt and seldom partnering with other builders or outside property managers.

And 5Pointz isn’t their only ambitious project right now. In Brentwood, Long Island, on the grounds of the a former hospital, they are building the Heartland Town Square, a $4 billion mega “village”. The project will feature 9,000 rental apartments, 3 million square feet of Class A office space, a 1-million-square-foot retail center, a hotel and convention center, restaurants, a movie theater, an aquarium and public parks.

“Jerry and David’s vision is very exciting,” said Andrew Barrocas, CEO of the brokerage MNS and a longtime friend of the Wolkoff family. “They are building projects that are totally unique to the marketplace.”

For his part, Jerry said he has always believed that the outer boroughs were the place to carry out his vision.

“Every year for the last 20 years, we’ve built between 200,000 and 300,000 square feet of commercial and industrial space on Long Island and in the boroughs,” he said. “Manhattan has always seemed too risky. I like to build from scratch, which is more complicated in the city.”

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Official Building Permits are up: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...r=01&restore=1

As of 07/22/2014.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Renderings:

Credit: 22-44 Jackson Avenue, rendering courtesy of HTO Architect

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:52 PM

Wow, I can't believe it, not-terrible architecture in Long Island City. Good for them.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:19 PM

Demolition underway

Friday, August 22, 2014, by Jessica Dailey
Quote:
First came the development plans. Then came the whitewashing. And now here comes the demolition. Animal New York reports that a backhoe arrived at 5 Pointz this morning and began tearing the graffiti mecca down. Since 1993, 5 Pointz, a warehouse in Long Island City, has legally hosted the artwork of hundreds of graffiti artists, but owner David Wolkoff decided that the fun was over, and he'd rather replace 5 Pointz with two soulless rental towers. If you have photos of the demolition, please do send them to the tipline. We'll round them up so we can all say goodbye together.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._right_now.php

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:00 PM
New Yorker for life

I hardly miss it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 5:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

so long 5pointz it was phun while it lasted!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 6:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I hardly miss it.
I agree. Cleaning up the ghetto looking structures one site at a time.

This is good for the city. Good use of land in an ever changing landscape.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive