HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:42 PM

No you're right, KLM doesn't own boeing 737-700

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:51 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:52 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 2:50 PM

Montreal can handle 3 airports, group says
'Regional vision' needed. But each facility needs right vocation, Board of Trade president says

ALLISON LAMPERT, The gazette
Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Montreal region can sustain three airports, provided each has the right vocation, the president of the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal says.

In an interview, Isabelle Hudon echoed a 2002 call by the board of trade's former president to develop a "regional vision and strategy" for Montreal's three airports: Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Mirabel and St. Hubert.

Her comments followed last week's plea by administrators of the Aeroport de Saint-Hubert for federal funding to kick off its $300-million airport development plan. Airport authorities say they need a federal commitment by the end of May to spend $70 million on renovating and enlarging St. Hubert's longest runway - or risk losing a planned expansion by client Pratt & Whitney Canada.

St. Hubert's plan - which would use public and private funding to renovate all three runways and build a passenger terminal, a hangar and a plane de-icing facility - is raising a series of tough questions over airport management in the Montreal region.

James Cherry, CEO of Aeroports de Montreal, which manages Trudeau and Mirabel airports with no public funding, asked why St. Hubert should be entitled to a federal subsidy. And after struggling for years to resolve the duality of Mirabel and Trudeau, does the region really need a beefed-up third airport?

Privately, some Mirabel officials are fuming at the idea of the federal government helping St. Hubert with a plan that would make the South Shore airport a competitor for industrial clients.

Both Mirabel and St. Hubert are losing money. At St. Hubert, administrators have managed to reduce the airport's deficit from $1.3 million in 2004 to $500,000 last year.

The $300-million plan, which would support Pratt's expansion, would make the airport profitable, managers say.

"I am very happy to see that Pratt & Whitney wants to do all that research in the Montreal region," Hudon said. "It's a must to quickly answer Pratt & Whitney's request."

She thinks Montreal can have three viable airports.

"I think it's great to have a location on the South Shore, it's great to have a location on the North Shore and it's great to have a location on the island," Hudon said. "It's all about finding the right niche and the right clientele for each airport."

alampert@thegazette.canwest

-------

I thought that Mirabel was sold and no longer to be used as an airport???

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:49 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
I thought that Mirabel was sold and no longer to be used as an airport???
Exactly what I was thinking! Isn'T mirabel already closed down??
Montreal Metro: 3.666 million

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:51 PM

Mirabel is used as an airport for Cargo as well as Bombardier's CRJ production facility. The airport is not closed down...only the passenger terminal is.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:54 PM

God I hope they don't develop St. Hubert! Instead of talking about whether there could have 3 airports in the Montreal Area...people should be talking about whether there SHOULD have 3 airports. Mirabel is fine the way it is now...so is Trudeau and St. Hubert...but I don't want to see a Passenger terminal built at YHU, because that would bring us back into the multiple-airport system we had before Mirabel was closed to passenger traffic...and we all know we DON'T want to go back to that system again. It would be smart to develop St. Hubert as a General Aviation airport, but please, no passenger terminal!!!

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Well Pratt is smack next to st-hubert, they need that airport to test their stuff and Pratt is huge in Montreal's economy.

A passenger terminal shouldn't be built there just for the sake of it, just a decent runway.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:16 PM
菠蘿油

let's not forget our region's newest airport, the plattsburgh international airport... which bills itself as "l'aéroport américain de montréal"!

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:41 PM
MTL♥

why are they even thinking about that? trudeau intl can handle what at least 20 milllion passengers now? so why worry?? i realized trudeau is growing like crazy! by 2008 13 million passengers? by the way they changed WWW.ADMTL.COM website realy cool

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:53 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
why are they even thinking about that? trudeau intl can handle what at least 20 milllion passengers now? so why worry?? i realized trudeau is growing like crazy! by 2008 13 million passengers? by the way they changed WWW.ADMTL.COM website realy cool
In case some of you Montrealers who rarely ever leave your island probably don't know, Pratt and Whitney(which is located right next to St-Hubert airport) directly employs 10,000 people in greater Montreal (and indirectly affects another 35,000), has asked the authorities at St-Hubert to make the main runway longer, so Pratt can test newer and bigger engines, and also to build some kind of building which would allow to de-ice the planes, so they can test in the Winter.

Let's not forget that the Montreal Canadiens use St-Hubert Airport, as it's much closer to Downtown than Dorval.

For all these reasons, the authorities at St-Hubert would like some money from the Feds to keep Pratt and Whitney happy, as they are a VERY VERY important corporate citizen for our city! Wouldn't want to see them leave, or else it would plunge our city into a disastrous recession!

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
In case some of you Montrealers who rarely ever leave your island probably don't know, Pratt and Whitney(which is located right next to St-Hubert airport) directly employs 10,000 people in greater Montreal (and indirectly affects another 35,000), has asked the authorities at St-Hubert to make the main runway longer, so Pratt can test newer and bigger engines, and also to build some kind of building which would allow to de-ice the planes, so they can test in the Winter.

Let's not forget that the Montreal Canadiens use St-Hubert Airport, as it's much closer to Downtown than Dorval.

For all these reasons, the authorities at St-Hubert would like some money from the Feds to keep Pratt and Whitney happy, as they are a VERY VERY important corporate citizen for our city! Wouldn't want to see them leave, or else it would plunge our city into a disastrous recession!
I wouldn't want to see them leave either! But we can't turn YHU into another commercial Montreal airport.

Reconstruct its runways, upgrade facilities, but don't allow for scheduled or charter passenger traffic, except for sports charters.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 8:25 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
Reconstruct its runways, upgrade facilities, but don't allow for scheduled or charter passenger traffic, except for sports charters.
I don't think that's what they plan on doing!

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's what they plan on doing!
The proposed passenger terminal sounds like it. Don't forget...low-cost, smaller airports seems to be a big hit these days for no-frills airlines. Back in 2002, WestJet was strongly considering YHU as their Montreal Airport, not YUL. Same for JetsGo. The only reason why JetsGo didn't chose YHU because no one knows what that airport. Whatever...JetsGO is now dead, and WestJet is doing great at Trudeau, but if the opportunity is there, airlines might chose YHU over YUL.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:01 PM

Quote:
In case some of you Montrealers who rarely ever leave your island probably don't know,...
Whatever.....

Last edited by SammyBoy; May 9, 2007 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 11:23 PM
Vaquero

I`m sorry, but Pratt & Withney, although amongst the world leaders in production of aircraft engines, has also been given over a billion dollars in federal and provincial loans since 1980, of which very little has been repaid, so if they want a new runway at CYHU then they should pay for it, they can afford it! Anyways, if you leave it up to government agencies to deal with it, we`ll still be talking about this in 10 years, and then P&W will just do like Bombardier, which is to say thank you for the loans, pack their bags and move to China or Mexico.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 11:33 PM
Vaquero

to Hockey Rules: Air Canada is already using their first 2 B777, I believe 300 series, one of which is available daily for the Rapidair YUL-YYZ connection, however once in YYZ they use it to cross the ocean. The other one is ACA flight 857, not sure of the call sign on the way out, but ACA857 is from EGLL to CYYZ, Heathrow to Pearson. I actually spoke this afternoon with an AC pilot who told me they are getting number 3 and 4 B777`s sometime in June. Personal opinion: it is by far the best machine in the sky for commercial purposes... and if you can afford one for personal use, go for it!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepLossInYul View Post
to Hockey Rules: Air Canada is already using their first 2 B777, I believe 300 series, one of which is available daily for the Rapidair YUL-YYZ connection, however once in YYZ they use it to cross the ocean. The other one is ACA flight 857, not sure of the call sign on the way out, but ACA857 is from EGLL to CYYZ, Heathrow to Pearson. I actually spoke this afternoon with an AC pilot who told me they are getting number 3 and 4 B777`s sometime in June. Personal opinion: it is by far the best machine in the sky for commercial purposes... and if you can afford one for personal use, go for it!
Ok thx SepLossInYul!

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 11:17 PM

Aéroport de Montréal, ils ont remodelé leur site web qui en avait bien besoin !!!

www.admtl.com

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED View Post
Aéroport de Montréal, ils ont remodelé leur site web qui en avait bien besoin !!!

www.admtl.com
Chris l'a deja dit deux pages avant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal