HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:40 PM

Well lets brainstorm. What places around town need revitalization/development that isn't on the waterfront? The Grace Hospital site comes to mind, though I believe that's set to be the site of the new courthouse.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:07 PM

How about Churchill Square. That entire block from Quintana's to Pine Bud Avenue. Curious as to what Loblaw's are going to do with the old supermarket space.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
How about Churchill Square. That entire block from Quintana's to Pine Bud Avenue. Curious as to what Loblaw's are going to do with the old supermarket space.
Funny you say that, I forgot that I was driving past Churchill Square yesterday and noticed a drill in the soccer field across the street apparently doing some geotechnical work. I wonder what is going on?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Its certainly going to be an exciting summer for St. John's. I know of one or two unannounced developments that are coming. Nothing right on the waterfront, but at least one is a much needed redevelopment. Its a good time to be in the city. I can hardly wait to see what the next year or two brings.
INTERESTINGGGG can you tell us if its in the downtown area? or if they are sizeable developments? (or tall hehehe)

Just thinking that the battery is defiantly an area in need of redevelopment and not on the water front AND has been up for sale in the past while

give us a hint

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Haha don't get too excited folks, I don't know about anything major, no skyline changing office buildings or anything like that. I convocate in May, but was lucky enough to land a job with a local developer. While I won't start full time until later this summer, I have done a bit of work already. Due to confidentiality I'm going to be very careful regarding what I say on here going forward (don't really want to lose my dream job so soon ) but when I'm sure that information becomes public I'll post anything I can, if someone else hasn't already.

I also tend to be a horrible tease. I apologize in advanced.

Last edited by Copes; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:37 PM

The city is wondering what to do with $8 million that has been left over from their $10 million surplus.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 3:39 PM

I see road crews are out painting lines on the roads these days. Maybe a little splurging on paint wouldn't hurt them. Something that won't go away in three months.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:23 PM

This is the new windows on TD Place.

Hard to tell what they look like in the picture but in person they look much better then the current windows. They are shinier and have stainless steel trim.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:26 PM

TD Building Water Street

Look forward to seeing this building reno completed. I work just down the road from that place and have been watching the progress. Will be different seeing the grey bricks instead of the red bricks that have been on it for years. Now if Fortis would just refit their old building at 139 Water, that would be nice. Have seen some concepts of that on here but not sure if there is any plans to proceed with it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Look forward to seeing this building reno completed. I work just down the road from that place and have been watching the progress. Will be different seeing the grey bricks instead of the red bricks that have been on it for years. Now if Fortis would just refit their old building at 139 Water, that would be nice. Have seen some concepts of that on here but not sure if there is any plans to proceed with it.
They own TD Place and are redoing that first because they had leaks.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Anyone know is going on with the harbourside condo development by Nolan Hall that was suppose to be constructed at the bottom of Temperance Street? Haven't heard anything on that in a while, I thought it was approved.
To answer my own question, apparently Nolan Hall are hoping to break ground later this year/early next year.

http://www.stjohnscondos.ca/Harbours...e_2379793.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:33 PM

Is there any timeline on how long it'll be before they start the Fortis retrofit? The building looks absolutely terrible as it is, and with Fortis Place, the spruced-up TD Building and 351 nearby, it will look all the more dated.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Is there any timeline on how long it'll be before they start the Fortis retrofit? The building looks absolutely terrible as it is, and with Fortis Place, the spruced-up TD Building and 351 nearby, it will look all the more dated.
It was mentioned in an article a few months ago that it would proceed not until after the constructiion of the new Fortis building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:13 PM

Do you think it would be worthwhile to create a thread for completed projects where we can discuss highrises and other projects which have already been completed but don't already have a thread? It would be nice to have a thread where we can discuss buildings like John Cabot and Fortis, for example. I guess those discussions could be done in this thread, but it would streamline the discussion a little more. Just a thought!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:28 PM

Yeah I think that is a great idea!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:08 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Do you think it would be worthwhile to create a thread for completed projects where we can discuss highrises and other projects which have already been completed but don't already have a thread? It would be nice to have a thread where we can discuss buildings like John Cabot and Fortis, for example. I guess those discussions could be done in this thread, but it would streamline the discussion a little more. Just a thought!
You can start a thread for that (or any subject for that matter); for example a thread on recently completed projects, or St. John's architecture, recent or in general, as it would help keep the topic streamlined as you said. Just follow the title format with "[St.John's]" first in the title to help keep the section organized. If you are starting a thread try to make it's/your purpose clear and be prepared to give your opinions and some content.

I've included the list of many projects completed since 2008 on the first page of this thread.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Well lets brainstorm. What places around town need revitalization/development that isn't on the waterfront? The Grace Hospital site comes to mind, though I believe that's set to be the site of the new courthouse.
The Ropewalk Lane area would be one, it's a central location within the city, with a mix of unnattractive car oriented commercial and light industrial, but not much in the way of attractive residential. There are no heritage issues either. The existing area is way below it's potential of being a pedestrian oriented neighborhood.

Street View: http://g.co/maps/zpsp6

The Lemarchant Road area also has a lot of potential, close to downtown, with just a little commercial and a mix of heritage buildings, and some areas that should be redeveloped, including the whole Grace site. This is a central main drag which has never been developed up to it's potential of being a vibrant neighbourhood, and has lots of room for infill etc. This could be St. John's' Spring Garden Road.

Street View: http://g.co/maps/b45ah

Last edited by Architype; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:06 PM

I think that you wil see changes in LeMarchant Road area in the next few years. I believe they are moving the courthouse to the Grace site? You'll see a lot of lawyers moving out of the downtown core to the historic houses around that area.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I think that you wil see changes in LeMarchant Road area in the next few years. I believe they are moving the courthouse to the Grace site? You'll see a lot of lawyers moving out of the downtown core to the historic houses around that area.
That should be a start for more improvement to happen there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The Ropewalk Lane area would be one, it's a central location within the city, with a mix of unnattractive car oriented commercial and light industrial, but not much in the way of attractive residential. There are no heritage issues either. The existing area is way below it's potential of being a pedestrian oriented neighborhood.
Ropewalk needs serious help. My girlfriend lives in that area. It's run down, gritty, disgusting, and overall just really unappealing. After dark it's very unpleasant to walk around (though I can't really imagine running in to much trouble, it just looks like an unwelcoming place). The old Dominion building especially needs something done with it, whether or not that involves demolition or not. Apparently the whole building is infested with rats, though that really isn't surprising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's