HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:30 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Hey Sam, jet down to NYC and get in Gary's face

Randy Turner | Winnipeg Free Press

Wonder if Sam Katz has been to New York lately?

Maybe took a stroll down the Avenue of the Americas to meet some little guy in his office on the 12th floor, overlooking downtown Manhattan.

Just curious, because that's exactly what the mayor of Hartford, Eddie Perez, did this week, with a posse of the city's business leaders in tow. And they all headed to Gotham to make a pitch to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

"The meeting was to make sure we put Hartford on his radar screen as a city that is bullish about bringing hockey back to Hartford," Perez told the Toronto Star. "We have a great fan base left over from the Hartford Whaler days, and I have a challenge as a mayor to figure out what to do with an aging civic centre, which has outlived its purpose."

Meanwhile, over in Kansas City, city officials announced Thursday that the Los Angeles Kings and the New York Islanders will play an exhibition game in September in the spanking new $276 million (18,500-seat) Sprint Center, which opened its shiny doors last year.

"I'm excited, I think it's great," Paul McGannon, head of a local organization trying to help bring an NHL team to Kansas City, gushed in the Kansas City Star. "New York has three teams. If they don't want to build a new rink in Long Island, we'll take their team."

That's right, Islanders owner Charles Wang wants out of the ancient Nassau Mausoleum (nee Coliseum), where the Isles are dead last in attendance in the NHL. Geez, that's like being the worst actor in a Paulie Shore movie.

Yet, my, what an amazing coincidence that Wang would agree to meet the Kings in Kansas City, yes?

A third news item, out of Vancouver, has the Great One admitting the obvious: That the Phoenix Coyotes are desperately searching for investors in a team that may lose -- and how they manage this, we don't know -- up to $45 million this season, according to The Globe and Mail.

Hands up, anyone interested? The club is only a gazillion dollars in debt, already signed away all revenue to cover loans and currently requires NHL welfare to stay afloat.

Of course, these are not unrelated developments. The folks in Kansas City have a state-of-the-art, empty building. They smell blood, and they intend to pounce on the first NHL carcass that hits the ground. Of note, however, this is not the first NHL exhibition game in the Sprint Center. Last year the Kings played the St. Louis Blues and the "announced crowd" was just over 11,000. Ahem.

The good mayor of Hartford, on the other hand, doesn't have a new arena, but obviously knows a potential fire sale when he sees one. Whether or not the people of Connecticut want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on an arena in the midst of an economic maelstrom -- without any guarantee of a team if they do (Hello, Hamilton) -- is another matter entirely.

But you can see what's happening here. It's clear to the circling predators that more than one NHL team won't make it through the financial crisis -- unless they're bankrolled by profitable franchises indefinitely. But that's probably not going to happen.

Why? Because we're pretty convinced all the leaks about the Coyotes' fiscal woes are coming directly from anonymous NHL governors who don't want to continue forking over between $5 million and $12 million annually to prop up the likes of the Nashville Predators, Coyotes and Florida Panthers. This information is of much concern in southern Ontario, where the notion of an NHL franchise in the Hamilton area is not only intriguing, but gaining traction with each league cheque cashed by the one of the poorer sisters.

Where does Winnipeg fit in? Good question. The city has a new, but modestly-sized arena, a fan base, but no clear money man and uncertain corporate support. Still, that might be more attractive than Hartford (no arena, some fan base) or Kansas City (owner, arena, no fan base). Hamilton has an arena, a fan base and corporate support up the ying-yang. The only problem is the prospective owner, Jim Balsillie, who in the eyes of Bettman is a cross between Hannibal Lecter and Richard Simmons. (That means not only will he kill you and eat your liver, he'll do it in the most annoying way possible.)

It's not like Mark Chipman and the folks at the MTS Centre have been sitting on their hands. They've expressed their interest to the NHL, made a pitch to Bettman and the league governors, and have patiently been waiting for the phone to ring.

It's just that it's fast getting to the point where those aren't phones ringing in the NHL any more. They are alarm bells going off in Phoenix and Long Island, and they can be heard from Hartford to Kansas City.

So what do you say, Sam?

No one's saying this city can afford an NHL team. No one's talking about using public money to get one, either. It has to work financially or forget it. But we hear New York is lovely this time of year. Your exposed skin doesn't even freeze in 30 seconds.

Besides, we hear that Bettman guy is just adorable. Sweet as pecan pie. Maybe give him a call. Tell him to put the guy from Hartford on hold.

randy.turner@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:24 PM
Starring as himself

If no public money is to go to the team, then why is it Sam Katz' job to go to New York? Shouldn't Randy Turner be urging some businessman to go? Ben Hatskin founded the Jets, not Steve Juba.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:26 PM
visionary

Mark this on your calender.

On April 28, 1996, the Winnipeg Jets died at the Winnipeg Arena not only at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings with a 4 to 1 loss, but also at those of then and now NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.

On April 28th of 2009, thirteen years after the fact, dress up in your Jets jerseys, t-shirts and hats to commemorate the old Winnipeg Jets, but also to show the NHL that WE ARE READY for the RETURN of the Jets as early as September 2009!

GO JETS GO

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:36 PM
visionary

Its true what you are saying but he is also suppose to act like a cheerleader for this city to be in the big leagues. It would sure be nice to see 15 000 fans hanging around downtown for forty games a year. It would sure accelerate the buisiness climate in that area and bring in more restaurants and little retail shops in the area.

the ownership is quietly wanting to acquire a team and don't want a bidding war thats why you hear of them.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:26 AM
Youth of a Nation

Ya I just read that in the FP interesting to know if Hartford can make a team of people in pursuit of the NHL back to Connecticut. I am sure Winnipeg can do the same and make more of an appeal.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:27 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Mark this on your calender.

On April 28, 1996, the Winnipeg Jets died at the Winnipeg Arena not only at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings with a 4 to 1 loss, but also at those of then and now NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.

On April 28th of 2009, thirteen years after the fact, dress up in your Jets jerseys, t-shirts and hats to commemorate the old Winnipeg Jets, but also to show the NHL that WE ARE READY for the RETURN of the Jets as early as September 2009!

GO JETS GO
There should be a set place for everyone to join and dress up as a celebratory event. Do it at the Leg or City Hall.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:43 AM
visionary

a new hockey site if interested

http://thehockeywriters.com/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:50 AM
visionary

The Hockey Writers
all you need to know about the NHL
Posted by Darren Ford on Jan 17th, 2009
(photos courtesy of Alex Snell)

Desert(ed)
They say a picture says a thousand words. In that case here are 3000 words.

Cute girl though. She almost masks the globs of burgundy seats behind her. Almost.

I couldn’t help but react to a blindly written article in USA Today a few days ago. Kevin Allen writes with the optimism reminiscent of one of Gary Bettman’s State Of The League addresses. What he fails to discuss is the true dire straits the Phoenix Coyotes are in right now, and have been in for some time. In fact they were doomed from the day they left Maroons Road at Polo Park in city that now lets the Vancouver Canucks farm club call home. Granted, things weren’t all that great when they left Winnipeg, but it had nothing to do with the fans or corporate support. Never did.

The pictures above, taken this season at a Saturday night game no less, tell a different story. So do the books in the ‘Yotes offices. And they are very closely correlated. No fans equals no revenues. In fact quite the opposite. In the 13 seasons being in the desert, the Coyotes have endured multiple owners and over a half billion dollars in losses, including over $30 million this year, prompting league life support to keep them above water. No pun intended. These are levels unimaginable if the team were to still reside in Manitoba’s capital. Yes, Winnipeg is always deemed a small market. But that is population wise. What about hockey fan wise? What does raw population have to do with selling hockey tickets? All that matters to the NHL, or all that should matter, is how many hockey fans there are in a market, not people. Under that mentality, why not put a team in Sydney or Hong Kong? Oh boy, I better not give Gary any ideas. And you can’t say the reason is TV revenue because anyone in the US that tries to find NHL hockey on TV will bellow a collective laugh at that reasoning.

Winnipeg has more hockey fans per capita than possibly any market in North America and no other sport that ranks above it to compete with. No NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR or any number of NCAA teams. Nope, hockey is front page news in Winnipeg, even the AHL’s Manitoba Moose, who by the way draw 6,000-8,000 fans on a regular basis. For those of you wondering, that’s roughly how many paying customers the Coyotes are drawing when you subtract how many tickets are freebies or discount tickets. And as for actual attendances, the photos above were from a game on Saturday, November 1st against the Wild. These are not pre-game photos but rather during play. They announced a crowd of 14,817. Now look at the photos again. Now 14,817 wouldn’t be great, especially for a Saturday night anyway, but the actual attendance is clearly more in the range of 9,000-10,000. Wouldn’t want to see a Tuesday night.

Now I’m not attacking Phoenix for any particular reason other than they are on the radar to relocate at some point and that interests many peolpe where I come from. The reality is that 6 or 7 teams are in similar dismal situations. Namely Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Columbus, Raleigh and even the New York Islanders. Although their issues are unique in themselves, they still pose the questions: has the NHL finally come to terms that the sun belt experiment has failed miserably and if so, how do they intend to fix it?

It’s not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Lets go back to Phoenix. They cannot simply pack up and move to the highest bidder. They have a building that was constructed almost entirely contingent on the existence of the Coyotes as the NBA Suns still play out of US Airways Center. There are rumoured penalties of in excess of $700 million to bail out of Phoenix. The only option is Chapter 11, the most dreaded term in any entrepreneur’s vocabulary.

But what is the alternative, really? I’m sure to get hate mail, but there is no long-term hope in Arizona for NHL hockey. They are currently ranked dead last in value by Forbes magazine, they have crowds like the ones seen above on a Saturday night, and they can’t ice a good hockey team. Ironic how many times Wayne Gretzky used to beat up on the Jets through the 1980’s only to possibly end up sinking with a ship called Jobing.com Arena. I’m in Arizona frequently. Phoenix included. I know the announced attendance vs. the real attendance. I know the atmosphere. I know the media coverage. In Phoenix it’s all about the Cardinals, and until this year they’ve been dreadful. In Tucson it’s all about Lute Olsen and the Wildcats.

Kevin Allen may want to see things with rose coloured glasses but some of his main points for why there is no reason for concern in Phoenix are ill-founded. Firstly, Gary Bettman saying the league has no plans to contract or relocate any franchise is like believing Pacman Jones doesn’t plan to go to a niteclub ever again. Secondly, some added parking revenue is not going to turn the buckets of red ink into black ink. Thirdly, yes Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Ottawa received financial assistance but they all have something in common. They are all established hockey markets with a proven track record…and…well…snow!

If moving a franchise is Gary Bettman’s last resort, well then that time has come, or at the very least is right over the horizon.

Winnipeg will regain an NHL franchise. I don’t know if it will be Phoenix, in fact likely not as that would be far too embarrassing for Gary Bettman to handle. Afterall, where was the life support for the Jets in 1995? But the inevitable is coming and no matter how much Kevin Allen or anyone else wants to think some parking revenue will save the day….it won’t. Sad actually, for the fans that do exist in Phoenix. Believe me, up here we know the feeling.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:00 AM
Youth of a Nation

I have to note people from a province called "Saskatchewan" did attend Winnipeg NHL games. So for those who are Nay Sayers as far as population base include Saskatchewan as a factor. Might as well include Northwestern Ontario.. oh and the Dakotas. So there's a population area you can include into some calculations.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:04 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
There should be a set place for everyone to join and dress up as a celebratory event. Do it at the Leg or City Hall.
its from this facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/gr...4487513&ref=ts

and this is the event that is planned

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=57639874896

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 8:27 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
its from this facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/gr...4487513&ref=ts

and this is the event that is planned

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=57639874896
Well then! Off I go!

Well doesn't give a place really more like "hey wear Winnipeg maybe someone will notice" well I wear the Winnipeg Jersey every other day so its 'Jets Day' once week for me!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:37 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If no public money is to go to the team, then why is it Sam Katz' job to go to New York? Shouldn't Randy Turner be urging some businessman to go? Ben Hatskin founded the Jets, not Steve Juba.
To draw an NHL team to Winnipeg it will require a community effort .. from the city, province and the local business community and most of all the fans. The NHL want to see everyone is on board.

The NHL of today is nothing like the startup WHA.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:45 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Better yet ... How about infront of the MTS Centre .. the new home of Winnipeg's soon to be realized JETS 2.0

I can't imagine a better sight .. than 20,000 - 30,000 wild Jets fans gathering infront of the MTS centre chanting ... GO JETS GO.

They'd have to close down Portage Ave ... in a scene similar to a certain U2 video.

I can only imagine what would go through the minds of the NHL brass ... once they got wind of what was happening in true hockey country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiY3XsRvK4

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I think its time for a Good Old School Jets Rally.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:41 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
To draw an NHL team to Winnipeg it will require a community effort .. from the city, province and the locla business community and most of all the fans. The NHL want to see everyone is on board.

The NHL of today is nothing like the startup WHA.
True, but the difference is in the opposite direction: the NHL of today is about money and solid ownership much more than the WHA was. They aren't awarding franchises as prizes to cities that show enthusiasm in some sort of "Hockeyville" competition. They are already well aware of the fact that Winnipeggers like hockey. All that matters is money: there has to be an owner with a lot of it, particularly when NHL owners in the U.S. are not going to be very enthusiastic about adding another small-market Canadian team to the league.

Don't forget that even in the WHA the Jets couldn't make a go of it as a privately owned profit-making team and had to be taken over and operated by the city after just a couple of seasons.

Maybe the best way to get into the NHL would be to do it the same way as before. Form a rival league and wait until the NHL gets tired of competing and offers a "merger".

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 9:42 PM
visionary

It takes a huge organised community effort to set that afoot. I see no reason why it shouldn't work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Better yet ... How about infront of the MTS Centre .. the new home of Winnipeg's soon to be realized JETS 2.0

I can't imagine a better sight .. than 20,000 - 30,000 wild Jets fans gathering infront of the MTS centre chanting ... GO JETS GO.

They'd have to close down Portage Ave ... in a scene similar to a certain U2 video.

I can only imagine what would go through the minds of the NHL brass ... once they got wind of what was happening in true hockey country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiY3XsRvK4

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I think its time for a Good Old School Jets Rally.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 9:48 PM
visionary

a little off topic here but wouldn't it be great if the Jets were to ever come back that they would build a community hockey facility that they would share while they use it as a practise facility. Maybe it could be part of the revitalization of point douglas where you would have a park for all kinds of sports facilities and fields like baseball, football, soccer, tennis tied in with residential towers.

a jets practise rink like this would be great

http://canadiens.nhl.tv/team/console...d=837&id=29947

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:54 AM
high expectations

winnipeg would seriously start to kick some ass if it had nhl agian

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 1:19 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post

That's actually a photo from the WHA, which was really the high point of the Jets. The NHL part was boring by comparison. It would be nice to have them back provided that someone else, other than taxpayers, pays for them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:01 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
True, but the difference is in the opposite direction: the NHL of today is about money and solid ownership much more than the WHA was. They aren't awarding franchises as prizes to cities that show enthusiasm in some sort of "Hockeyville" competition. They are already well aware of the fact that Winnipeggers like hockey. All that matters is money: there has to be an owner with a lot of it, particularly when NHL owners in the U.S. are not going to be very enthusiastic about adding another small-market Canadian team to the league.

Don't forget that even in the WHA the Jets couldn't make a go of it as a privately owned profit-making team and had to be taken over and operated by the city after just a couple of seasons.

Maybe the best way to get into the NHL would be to do it the same way as before. Form a rival league and wait until the NHL gets tired of competing and offers a "merger".
Funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing. WHA made it possible and look what happened gave the NHL a run for its money. Made Bobby Hull a million dollar man.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:04 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post

Ill scan in my moms autographed bobby hull 1972-73 team photo.

Last edited by JayM; Jan 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan