HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8541  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:41 AM
CB1 CB1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
Some pictures I took Saturday evening when flying back to town.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8542  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:58 AM
CB1 CB1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8543  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:59 AM
CB1 CB1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 124
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8544  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:39 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 317
Does anyone know what all the boxed up date palms are for on the corner of Terrace/Apache? Seems to be a holding area but there are not developments near by close enough along to start landscaping Improvements?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8545  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:04 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 795
So there are two new zoning signs up. One for a rezoning for high(er) density housing at the corner of 5th and Roosevelt (where a rather large single family lot was for sale) and another west of the Cresent/ Novel apartment on the corner of Hardy and Rio across the street from IDEA. I might try to take some pics of the signs this week unless anyone else beats me to it? Also looks like they also posted a new sign for the Eastline Village on Apache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8546  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:47 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 317
https://www.orionprop.com/topfive/vi...ty-zone-build/

New apartment project breaks ground on Broadway east of McClintock. This vacant lot has been an eyesore for a very long time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8547  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:54 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
So there are two new zoning signs up. One for a rezoning for high(er) density housing at the corner of 5th and Roosevelt (where a rather large single family lot was for sale) and another west of the Cresent/ Novel apartment on the corner of Hardy and Rio across the street from IDEA. I might try to take some pics of the signs this week unless anyone else beats me to it? Also looks like they also posted a new sign for the Eastline Village on Apache.
Unfortunately, the new signs are just for the meetings for Tempe's new Urban Core Master Plan. I posted a picture of the Eastline Village sign a while back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8548  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:30 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 317
Novus Apartment

Apparently the Student Housing Developer, Aspen Heights, has backed out of their deal to develop 262 units. The land is has been marketed for lease again and last I heard its moving forward with a out of state developer under a new name and design.

Also the high rise/high density MF site in Novus was marketed a couple months ago, I believe a developer has been expected and should be in front of plan review by the end of summer. Hopefully these two apartments and the office tower at Rural/University can get going to fill up Phase 3!!

Any news on when ITSB-7 will start construction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8549  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:40 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Apparently the Student Housing Developer, Aspen Heights, has backed out of their deal to develop 262 units. The land is has been marketed for lease again and last I heard its moving forward with a out of state developer under a new name and design.

Also the high rise/high density MF site in Novus was marketed a couple months ago, I believe a developer has been expected and should be in front of plan review by the end of summer. Hopefully these two apartments and the office tower at Rural/University can get going to fill up Phase 3!!

Any news on when ITSB-7 will start construction?
Is this the site next to the Hyatt hotel? It's like a slither between the hotel and the Aspen Heights site?

Also I bet you anything the amount of retail ASU/ Catellus wanted for the Aspen Heights site is probably what eventually got the developer to abandon it. No one just walks away from a multi-family site in Tempe in good times or bad! Especially when the infrastructure has been so heavily subsidized!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8550  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:41 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 795
Also how come you "believe" they have been selected. It's either they have or they haven't! lol, thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8551  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:35 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 795
I was worried yesterday that University House was on fire! (at least some on this forum probably wouldn't mind) however it just as intense fire at the dumpster for the building. Not sure what started it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8552  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:02 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,401
Aura Watermark 24 June 2019



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8553  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:05 AM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,465
Oh wow is that garage big. And it's next to another enormous garage. RIP anyone commuting on Rural/Scottsdale when this thing is leased out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8554  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:11 PM
Mr.RE Mr.RE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Oh wow is that garage big. And it's next to another enormous garage. RIP anyone commuting on Rural/Scottsdale when this thing is leased out.
No kidding. Especially if Phase 2 gets built, the hotel and the highrise multifamily piece behind it that intersection will be terrible. Might have to build another bridge across the lake at that point
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8555  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:25 PM
shawneriksmith shawneriksmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
No kidding. Especially if Phase 2 gets built, the hotel and the highrise multifamily piece behind it that intersection will be terrible. Might have to build another bridge across the lake at that point
Or you know, a light rail going up Rural/Scottsdale...but one can dream.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8556  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:08 PM
xymox xymox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Oh wow is that garage big. And it's next to another enormous garage. RIP anyone commuting on Rural/Scottsdale when this thing is leased out.
Its more or less been a disaster with the State Farm campus opening up to full capacity. That area is a nightmare at rush hour - game nights are even worse.

I get why all the development is going up there, but man, it sure seems that no one thought of how to manage all the people in/out of there of what amounts to two exits off of the 202. Its too bad Center Parkway never went across the river/lake....if that would even help at this point.
__________________
mmmm skyscraper, I love you....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8557  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:26 PM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Its more or less been a disaster with the State Farm campus opening up to full capacity. That area is a nightmare at rush hour - game nights are even worse.

I get why all the development is going up there, but man, it sure seems that no one thought of how to manage all the people in/out of there of what amounts to two exits off of the 202. Its too bad Center Parkway never went across the river/lake....if that would even help at this point.
But if Center Parkway went across the lake, more people would think to use that freeway on-ramp to get out of Tempe and mess up my go-to route (when I have to drive a car) (Mill Ave. bridge over to Center Parkway. Don't know how much faster it is, but is sure less annoying.)

I mostly view traffic as a feature not a bug--and indication an area is desirable and dense. It still surprises me how few people bike commute--it's a dream to bike into Tempe. But yeah, the traffic will only get worse if they keep building large, over-parked developments.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8558  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:11 PM
xymox xymox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
But if Center Parkway went across the lake, more people would think to use that freeway on-ramp to get out of Tempe and mess up my go-to route (when I have to drive a car) (Mill Ave. bridge over to Center Parkway. Don't know how much faster it is, but is sure less annoying.)

I mostly view traffic as a feature not a bug--and indication an area is desirable and dense. It still surprises me how few people bike commute--it's a dream to bike into Tempe. But yeah, the traffic will only get worse if they keep building large, over-parked developments.
I think the issue is when you develop these major employment corridors is that you wind up with large companies that draw employees from across the valley - not just local. Its not practical (or even possible) for all the State Farm employees, Amazon employees, etc to live right there at a distance from which they can bike. We have a shortage on housing inventory as it is valley wide. This is where the 202 comes into play - and then the limited entry/exits from it during rush hour. The Scottsdale Airpark has these issues too for sure - but there seems to be a lot more surface road options to keep things flowing. Tempe is quite limited in that area - with no obvious solution to it. Well, maybe other than flying cars - but even then you have the airport there.
__________________
mmmm skyscraper, I love you....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8559  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:20 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I think the issue is when you develop these major employment corridors is that you wind up with large companies that draw employees from across the valley - not just local. Its not practical (or even possible) for all the State Farm employees, Amazon employees, etc to live right there at a distance from which they can bike. We have a shortage on housing inventory as it is valley wide. This is where the 202 comes into play - and then the limited entry/exits from it during rush hour. The Scottsdale Airpark has these issues too for sure - but there seems to be a lot more surface road options to keep things flowing. Tempe is quite limited in that area - with no obvious solution to it. Well, maybe other than flying cars - but even then you have the airport there.
When I worked in Tempe, I used a mixed mode commute -- light rail + bike -- to travel between Tempe and Phoenix. A lot of my coworkers seemed amazed this was possible. They'd assume I lived right near the office when they saw me pedaling.

Still, there is a need for more solutions. I think Valley Metro and Tempe should take a serious look at establishing some express bus routes that serve downtown Tempe. Right now, everything is hubbed in downtown Phoenix, but, as you point out, downtown Tempe employers are drawing people from throughout the metro area, beyond the reach of light rail. About ten years ago, there was an express bus from Queen Creek to Tempe, but it didn't draw enough riders to continue. I suspect enough has changed a decade later that a second try might be worthwhile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8560  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 6:47 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneriksmith View Post
Or you know, a light rail going up Rural/Scottsdale...but one can dream.
Scottsdale refuses to do anything involving other valley cities including the light rail.


Back in 06' the Mayor of Scottsdale said something like "We arent interested in being that Connected to other Valley cities"
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.