HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Are you worried about Ebola comming to Canada?
Yes. 20 23.26%
No. 63 73.26%
I'm not sure. 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:50 AM

Don't know if its mentioned, but that Belleville patient came back negative. Canada is confirmed ebola-free, at least at present.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 7:08 AM

2 out of 3 North American countries being Elboa free isn't anything to sneeze at.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:16 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
2 out of 3 North American countries being Elboa free isn't anything to sneeze at.
Sure but we are far away. What's more significant is that the WHO is likely to declare Senegal and Nigeria ebola-free sometime early next week.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:19 AM

Listened to an interesting radio interview yesterday with someone from the nurses union.

The takeaway comment was that BC hospitals are not prepared and medical staff are not properly trained to deal with the correct procedures for putting on and removing the protective gear. Apparently there is a real trick to getting out of the containment suites and you generally need two people to do it and to have practiced a few times to get it right.

I wonder how many times they run drills to validate the response procedures they have in place for emergency rooms or even the procedures a family doctor follows if one of his/her patients comes into the office with Ebola or something else that has similar hazards.

To me it sounds like some training and practice is in order for the doctors and nurses be it Ebola or something else that requires the use of similar hazmat suites.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:41 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Pun!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Listened to an interesting radio interview yesterday with someone from the nurses union.

The takeaway comment was that BC hospitals are not prepared and medical staff are not properly trained to deal with the correct procedures for putting on and removing the protective gear. Apparently there is a real trick to getting out of the containment suites and you generally need two people to do it and to have practiced a few times to get it right.

I wonder how many times they run drills to validate the response procedures they have in place for emergency rooms or even the procedures a family doctor follows if one of his/her patients comes into the office with Ebola or something else that has similar hazards.

To me it sounds like some training and practice is in order for the doctors and nurses be it Ebola or something else that requires the use of similar hazmat suites.
No western hosipital is ready for this.

This isn't the movie outbreak, but it's closer to outbreak than modern hospitals,

The human error rate is too high to trust people not to get contaminated

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
No western hosipital is ready for this.

This isn't the movie outbreak, but it's closer to outbreak than modern hospitals,

The human error rate is too high to trust people not to get contaminated
I would agree. There is a lot of confidence emanating from hospitals and health departments, but I wonder how much of that is simply an attempt to get everyone to calm down. There is a world of difference between having a binder somewhere with procedures written down and actually having people know exactly what they're supposed to do and how to do it. I'm sure they'll get a handle on it, but it will be messy at first as hospitals with the bad luck of dealing with the initial cases (hello, Texas Presbyterian) learn the hard way through trial and error.

To use a ham-fisted analogy, it's like having a bunch of actors getting ready for opening night tomorrow. Nobody has memorized any of their lines, nobody has acted in this play before. But the director says it'll all work out because there is a script, so there is nothing to worry about. Hmm.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What's more significant is that the WHO is likely to declare Senegal and Nigeria ebola-free sometime early next week.
Senegal only had one case, so that's expected. Nigeria had 20 cases in all, most of them health care workers (and their family members) who were looking after the one guy who had it. They have no qualms about throwing that guy in lockdown, either.

Unfortunately, the number of cases of Ebola elsewhere looks like it will double within 3 weeks. There are no signs of it slowing in the countries where it's already out of control.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Senegal only had one case, so that's expected.
What I find more impressive about Senegal is that they've managed to keep it to one case in spite of the fact they share a border with Guinea (Conakry) that has had hundreds of cases and is the third hardest-hit country after Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure they'll get a handle on it, but it will be messy at first as hospitals with the bad luck of dealing with the initial cases (hello, Texas Presbyterian) learn the hard way through trial and error.

You know, one of the angles I view what happened in Dallas with, demonstrates to me how important it is for people to keep aware of current events and for society to place value on that. I can't help but think that, while there were certainly people at that hospital aware of ebola, most of the people up the chain that dealt with that guy were not aware at all, and so X number of opportunities for someone to ring an alarm bell were missed.

It's good to watch the news! It could save your life! And that of others.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 11:50 AM
Ciao tutti

I booked an appointment for the flu shot next month.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
I booked an appointment for the flu shot next month.
You need an appointment to get a flu shot? I just go to the drug store to get it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You know, one of the angles I view what happened in Dallas with, demonstrates to me how important it is for people to keep aware of current events and for society to place value on that. I can't help but think that, while there were certainly people at that hospital aware of ebola, most of the people up the chain that dealt with that guy were not aware at all, and so X number of opportunities for someone to ring an alarm bell were missed.

It's good to watch the news! It could save your life! And that of others.
People in general aren't mentally up to snuff for this kind of thing.

Humans in industrial settings are extremely error prone.

It's partially inexperience, but in reality is just more human nature.

this is one of the problems in the medical profession where doctors have this mystique or aura that they are somehow super intelligent people.

Ebola is a game of math and people dont' think in mathematical terms.

You have a growing infected population, and outburst or episodes of transmission will be a continual problem.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 3:11 PM
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You need an appointment to get a flu shot? I just go to the drug store to get it.
The drugstore that I go to has a nurse that administers the shot, but you have to make an appointment.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
The drugstore that I go to has a nurse that administers the shot, but you have to make an appointment.
Well, thankfully pharmacists in Quebec are finally getting the right to give injections, so hopefully getting vaccinated won't be as much of a pain for you next year.

Hopefully, Ebola vaccines will be as accessible as flu vaccines in Africa someday, if we can bring true meaningful change in this generation.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 10:41 AM
gettin' rich!

First case of Ebola in Canada this week?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:44 PM

^ LOL no. Why would you say that? There's not even any suspected cases here right now.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:05 PM
gettin' rich!

Just taking a guess.....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh FFS.

EDIT: And the release. Marty_Mcfly tells me he has the inside scoop on this and it's not fear-mongering, though Open Line callers will certainly respond as though it is.

http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...h/1021n02.aspx

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Just taking a guess.....
If a Liberian throws up on you this week, be sure to let us know!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada