HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
Website Manager

I havent laughted so hard all week! Only in Niagara falls would something like this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLERINMUSKOKA View Post
Here it is, posted by mark simpson @ urnantoronto.ca

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 13, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 10:57 PM

Wow they didn't tare it down it fell down on its own and they swept it away in a extra stretch glad garbage bag. lol

That was fast. time to put the whole in the ground.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:08 AM

This is going to be such a great example of Smart Growth in St. Catharines!

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/na/ne...-4448799c.html

Region approves residential project on hospital lot

Jan 17, 2007

ST. CATHARINES -- Regional council has approved the official plan amendment required to proceed with a 42-unit townhouse complex on a two-acre parcel of land across the street from the former Hotel Dieu hospital.
The amendment redesignates the property from major institutional to neighbourhood residential in the official plan.

The project, a partnership between Mountainview Homes and Walker Industries, will see two and three-storey units designed to be sympathetic to the older style of housing found in the downtown.

It is the first phase of a five- to 10-year project to completely redevelop the Ontario Street site of the Niagara Health System once it relocates the prompt care facility along with St. Catharines General Hospital to a new site in west St. Catharines.

The next phase is proposed to include live-work townhouses with small businesses operating on the ground floor, with the owner living on the second and third storeys.

As well, there is a low-rise condo building planned for the north end of the property.

In a report for the planning and public works committee, staff hail the project as "a very good example of appropriate residential intensification."

Staff note the downtown is identified by the Province as an urban growth centre, which is expected to achieve a density target of 150 residents and jobs per hectare by 2031.

The residential development will occur downtown, it will fall within the boundary of the Community Improvement Area, and will be exempt from development charges.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:13 AM

One more step closer to getting that Urban Whitewater Kayak Course....the Standard reported late last year that if this generating station happens, 12-Mile Creek's water flow can be properly regulated to allow for the Kayak course that should have been part of the 2008 Toronto Olympics.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/na/ne...-4448793c.html

12 mile creek Hydro plant to use Regional land

Jan 17, 2007

ST. CATHARINES -- Regional council has agreed in principle to allow St. Catharines Hydro Generation Inc. to use Regional lands to access its proposed generation station on Twelve Mile Creek.
The Shickluna Generating Station is a proposed five-megawatt power station which will produce electricity by having water fall about four metres through state-of-the-art turbine generators. It is estimated enough electricity would be produced to power about 5,000 homes.

The proposed location for the station involves Regional lands near the Fourth Avenue bridge. To proceed with the site assessment stage, which includes design and geological studies, SCHGI will need access to the lands. It may also need to modify the Twelve Mile Creek bank area to channel water most effectively.

The estimated $25-million to $27-million project became financially feasible recently with the announcement of the Province's Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program, which will pay 11 cents per kilowatt hour for electricity from eligible renewable resources.

It's all part of plans by the province to have the private sector contribute to the public hydro supply. The province's existing supply of available hydro is strained by demand during peak periods, such as hot summer days when air conditioners are blasting away at full power.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:21 AM

St. Catharines seems to be having quite a few infill projects as of late.

There is a new retail plaza being built across from Grantham Plaza and what I've heard will be a new car dealership next to Blockbuster on Scott St.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:03 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Digging has begun at the Hilton site.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 3:46 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Niagara Falls to get Hyatt Place Hotel

2006 Proves Banner Year for Hyatt Place(TM) Development
New Hyatt Brand Secures More Than 30 Projects in Debut Year

Distribution Source : Market Wire

Date : Tuesday, January 23, 2007

CHICAGO, IL -- (Market Wire - Jan 23, 2007) -- Hyatt Place, one of Hyatt's two new brands, gained impressive development traction in its debut year, garnering 31 new projects, totaling 4,321 hotel rooms. These new projects will join the 120 hotels converting to the Hyatt Place brand in 2007.

"We're seeing tremendous growth in our first year of development for Hyatt Place, and we expect to see these numbers increase substantially in 2007. In addition to the 120 owned, managed and franchised properties to be converted over the course of 2007, we are adding an outstanding mix of new-build properties with some of the best owners and operators in the business," said Chris Ivy, senior vice president of development for Hyatt Place and Hyatt Summerfield Suites. "When developing Hyatt Place, we found that while lifestyles were changing, the select service hotel experience had become stagnant. The response we've had to Hyatt Place from both developers and consumers makes us confident we're filling a void in the upper end of the select service market."

-- Niagara Falls, ON, Canada - Under development by Canadian Niagara
Hotels, this 150-room hotel is located in the Stanley Ave. corridor and
scheduled to open Summer 2008

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:00 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrigentum View Post
This is going to be such a great example of Smart Growth in St. Catharines!

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/na/ne...-4448799c.html

Region approves residential project on hospital lot

Jan 17, 2007

ST. CATHARINES -- Regional council has approved the official plan amendment required to proceed with a 42-unit townhouse complex on a two-acre parcel of land across the street from the former Hotel Dieu hospital.
The amendment redesignates the property from major institutional to neighbourhood residential in the official plan.

The project, a partnership between Mountainview Homes and Walker Industries, will see two and three-storey units designed to be sympathetic to the older style of housing found in the downtown.

The next phase is proposed to include live-work townhouses with small businesses operating on the ground floor, with the owner living on the second and third storeys.

As well, there is a low-rise condo building planned for the north end of the property.
Cool, that one was mine originally. The low-rise condo is different. I haven't seen a current site plan but my original concept plan had Townhouses with a lane in the back.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:01 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
I havent laughted so hard all week! Only in Niagara falls would something like this happen.

I concur!

totally out of scale!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:12 PM
Trendy.

Well, Grant, someone in the Buffalo-Niagara area has to build highrises, and it sure isn't going to be Buffalo!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 4:36 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaniqua View Post
Well, Grant, someone in the Buffalo-Niagara area has to build highrises, and it sure isn't going to be Buffalo!

har har.
the addition is tacky and totally out of scale

slowly becoming las vegas of the north

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 12:22 AM
Trendy.

Well, that's your fault. Tsk tsk...

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 3:30 AM

Wigs, I don't know what you mean by out of scale. With what? All the other high rises around it? Fallsview did a good touched up image that shows how it actually looks pretty good.
http://niagarafallsdevelopmentsproposal.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLSVIEW View Post
DENNY'S IS CLOSING, CONFIRMED!
Good, that place had horrible food and terribly overpriced.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 3:46 PM
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Here is the image Drafty was talking about!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 2:12 AM

I love Doug Herod's updates! I'm really glad to see that development in Merritton is ongoing - I can see the potential in this part of the city. Too bad the former industrial land near Hartzel Rd. was too polluted for residential development - 3 million dollars worth of soil removal and they STILL found contaminents! crazy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer loves giving old buildings new lease on life

Doug Herod
Herod's Column - Friday, March 16, 2007 Updated @ 9:25:24 AM

I figured it was time for an update on the actions of Nino Donatelli.

The St. Catharines developer with a penchant for buying and fixing up old buildings always seems to have something on the go.

A conversation with Donatelli this week didn't disappoint.

He revealed the following:

He recently purchased the old Merritton library building and the CAW Local 676 building behind it.

He's involved in talks that could lead to his purchase of the dormant Union House tavern on Merritt Street.

He has his eye on the old Merritton town hall building and adjacent fire hall.

He plans to put an Italian-themed restaurant on the ground floor of the refurbished Lybster Mill building at Merritt Street and Glendale Avenue.

He's sold the two-acre Keg property on Glendale and a three-acre parcel of land adjoining it.

His plans to build a 110-unit subdivision north of Oakdale Avenue behind Hartzel Road on former Domtar steam plant lands have hit a major snag.

As you can probably gather, Donatelli thinks the future looks pretty good for old Merritton's commercial core.

It has a lot of neat older buildings that fall under the category of handyman specials. As well, the realignment of Glendale Avenue at Merritt and the soon-to-be replaced Merritt bridge over the CN tracks should dramatically improve traffic flow in the area.

Donatelli's strategy is simple. He gets in on the bottom floor of an area's revitalization. He notes he's had success in Port Dalhousie and Lewiston, N.Y.

Over the past few years, he has spent a lot of time, energy and money on Merritton's revival, most notably renovating a dilapidated old rubberworks factory into the Keg building and transforming the former Domtar property into a model for brownfield redevelopment.

Part of the old Domtar lands fronting on Glendale was sold to grocery store giant Sobeys two years ago.

It recently submitted an updated site plan to the city that calls for a 4,251 square-metre grocery store (by comparison, Zehrs at the Pen is 5,400 square metres); a three-unit attached plaza and two detached buildings.

One of the stand-alone buildings has been designated a bank on the site plan. Talk about town is that another tenant will be an LCBO store, presumably the one from Pendale Plaza.

Donatelli said it seems a little strange not owning the Keg property, considering his involvement in resurrecting it. But he said needed the money from the sale to work on his other projects, most notably the Lybster Mill.

"My biggest buzz is working on these old buildings," he said.

In addition to the restaurant at the Lybster Mill, Donatelli envisions commercial space on the ground floor and hopes to develop the top level into a hotel.

He says he has no plans for the old library building and union hall. As for the former Merritton town office and fire hall, he said he has been talking with the city about swapping those for a piece of property he owns, which would allow the municipality to build a new area fire station.

On the gloomier side of things, it appears the plan for a housing tract north of Oakdale Avenue is all but dead, a serious blow to officials and residents hoping to create more of a neighbourhood feel to the Hartzel Road corridor.

Soil contamination of the site is far worse than anyone imagined.

Donatelli says about $3 million was spent trying to remediate the site, primarily through the excavation, trucking and disposal of soil. But then it was discovered there were even more contaminants deeper in the ground.

The cleanup task appears futile, Donatelli said. His company is considering the possibility of developing the site for commercial use, which has less stringent environmental standards to meet than residential.

Paul Chapman, the city's planning director, confirmed the soil problem and agreed it appears "impractical" to pursue residential development there.

He declined further comment until he presents a report to city council.

Stay tuned.

Doug Herod's opinion column runs Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

dherod@stcatharinesstandard.ca

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 3:22 AM

Donatelli is a saint I tell ya.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:22 AM

I almost read all of Doug's articles. I think he's hilarious!

The Port Tower has hit another obstacle as the city will no longer defend the PDVC at the OMB. The hearings are set for next winter.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucciared View Post
The Port Tower has hit another obstacle as the city will no longer defend the PDVC at the OMB. The hearings are set for next winter.
I'm starting to think this Port Tower proposal is going to die before the OMB hearings begin. I am in support of the project, but the PDVC should probably start looking at other options, such as a new proposal that is scaled down, or moving the whole proposal downtown to coincide with a Brock U School of Fine & Performing Arts/ Wine Embassy project.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucciared View Post
I almost read all of Doug's articles. I think he's hilarious!

? Is that even permitted?

The professional planners made a professional opinion about the proposal in support, then council approved it. The OMB can supena the planners to testify as to why they made their decision. I don't think the fucking politicians really have any say in the matter now.

Flickr®

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario