HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
BTW just my opinion but I think the reasons why this site was chosen might have to do with the reputation of nearby Spectacle Lake ...
I really don't think the RCMP chooses sites based on what is really nothing more than public nuisance. Any big city deals with these types of issues. I assume the location is based more on optimal highway access and improved response times based on the location.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 7:58 PM
Honored Member

It used to be Citadel Hill that had the reputation. Let's just hope that the RCMP will clean things up (their own reputation has suffered over the past few years).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 8:33 PM
we built this city

lol, "goings on"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 1:44 AM

personally I think the RCMP has more important things to deal with. "goings on" probably happen here because it's an out of the way location. Increasing development and RCMP presence will probably discourage action but it will just move somewhere else.
I had forgotten about the murder here. That's serious. When I was a kid there was a murder in another gay cruising area near where I lived, Camp Hill Cemetary. Sad.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 3:19 PM

Don't forget too, that area lies within HRP's jurisdiction.
I know HRP and the RCMP in HRM have become a lot more integrated in recent years, but as far as I know these jurisdictional matters still count.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 3:08 AM
Honored Member

There will be a sod turning Tuesday at 2:00 PM at 80 Garland Avenue for the $60 million RCMP building according to the allnovascotia.com. The design renderings will also be released. It will be 240,000 square feet and reportedly 5 storeys.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 3:16 PM
Mooderator

The rendering will be here.. later today, for those who are interested.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 8:47 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
The rendering will be here.. later today, for those who are interested.
Looks dismal and uninspired, like a high school or hospital from the 1960s.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 9:26 PM
Honored Member

It is better than I expected. The allnovascotia.com keeps referring to it as the RCMP bunker so that is what I expected.

(source: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-...13-00-eng.html )

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:17 PM

I think it looks great (then again comparing anything to Burnside looks good).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 11:16 PM
we built this city

Not bad at all, its an improvement on the Citdel High design.

What I like most is the land use... the entrance area looks sweet and the building meshs well with the surroundings.

Its great in terms of Burnside... there have been major strides forward in the park and I'm looking forward to seeing the area developing more.

I now understand the hotel (although poorly designed)... I bet they could put another hotel in Burnside somewhere and maybe residential closer to DC because alot of people work "in the Park" and the majority of the industrial businesses are located there (so even corporate types sometimes have to be in Burnside, seriously). It needs better pedestrian environments and transportation links... but I have actually witnessed sidewalks being built in some parts and if there was more residential integration it could be like a real neighborhood in some areas. All it would need is a grocery store, the majority of the other needs are met by the park.

Also, I think they should build an actual bridge over the highway to Highfield Park because simply putting pedestrian space on the car bridge doesn't give people incentive to not risk it to run across closer to their destination (home or potentially Tim Horton's)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Not bad at all, its an improvement on the Citdel High design.

What I like most is the land use... the entrance area looks sweet and the building meshs well with the surroundings.

Its great in terms of Burnside... there have been major strides forward in the park and I'm looking forward to seeing the area developing more.

I now understand the hotel (although poorly designed)... I bet they could put another hotel in Burnside somewhere and maybe residential closer to DC because alot of people work "in the Park" and the majority of the industrial businesses are located there (so even corporate types sometimes have to be in Burnside, seriously). It needs better pedestrian environments and transportation links... but I have actually witnessed sidewalks being built in some parts and if there was more residential integration it could be like a real neighborhood in some areas. All it would need is a grocery store, the majority of the other needs are met by the park.

Also, I think they should build an actual bridge over the highway to Highfield Park because simply putting pedestrian space on the car bridge doesn't give people incentive to not risk it to run across closer to their destination (home or potentially Tim Horton's)
In the Burnside News there was an article about how in 10-15 years time the land set aside for Burnside expansion will be developed leaving no new land for businesses to move into unless more is set aside (there was mention of expanding up the Burnside Expressway IF the province ever builds it). One of the GBBA people said when that happens the older section of the park (west of Burnside Drive) will start to be renewed and brought up to modern standards.

I can't really comment on the hotel comment but the park is already home to two hotels and one motel so I'm not sure if the market demand could even warrant another one yet.

This might be stretching it a bit but Wal-Mart could count as a grocery store ...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:05 AM

It's not great, but it's not bad either (compared to some of the stuff in Burnside). I'm glad to hear that in 10 to 20 years the park will start to grow again through the natural life cycle of commercial parks.

If I'm not mistaken the plan with Burnside is to encourage less pure industrial (manufacturing and dirty types of industrial uses) around the edges and more office campus/office park uses. That way they can surround the dirtier industrial uses on the inside of the park. I'd like to see that - more office buildings say in the 5 to 7 storey range; or office campus style development.

I was looking at the birds eye view from bing maps and I see another office tower is under construction - although I suspect its already done by the Radisson Hotel - that's a great step up there. If my count is correct, five stories.

One thing to think about in the coming years (as HRM gets ready to re-do the regional plan) is where office development should go. For our part here in Calgary; when Plan It Calgary was done - we continued to keep downtown as they prime office focus with all the prestige (class a) office space there for the most part. But we recognized that as the city grew out; there was a natural tendancy of office development to occur either around LRT stations or in community nodes (around the universities or hospitals). One thing HRM should recognize is that with Burnside and likely Bayers Lake - there is a good chance for office campus style development and even in Ragged Lake too (now with RIM). There seems to be that natural evolution in HRM - which can be helpful in breaking up traffic and also encouraging creation of high speed ferry links via the harbour to a certain extent (Burnside could be served through a Ferry Terminal at the base of Akerley at Windmill Drive and then the whole area around it turned into office towers around 15 storeys and then campus style from there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 8:31 PM

The CRANE is now on site!! (photo by me);

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The CRANE is now on site!! (photo by me);
They're really moving quickly on this. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 2:24 AM

I'm no expert on cranes but looking at the amount of pieces on site for this project it might have two cranes installed;

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 2:52 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for the pictorial update. It is great to see how quickly they are moving on this.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'll try to get more site pics Friday if anything changed since last picture update.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 8:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There is 2 crane bases from what I could see today. It looks as though they should go up any day now. Will be very visible from Wright Ave. between Swish and Honda. I'll grab pics once they go up.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 10:35 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

A mobile crane was extended tonight when I looked that way when driving on the Circ tonight. Hopefully that means the cranes will be set up come the weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs