HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 10:34 PM

Clarenville is also doing great! pop: 6,036
which is not that bad.It services a large amount of people possibly around 5-10 thousand! plus the actual population. Shoal harbour drive is the new heart of development in clarenville. Seems like everyday there is a new building going up!
They recently built a kent, co-op gas bar with robins donuts, Scotiabank, and several car dealerships!. There are a few new unknown buildings under-construction at the moment.

Near the TCH they are also building an orange store with Tim hortons express!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
Clarenville (near my home town) is also doing great! pop: 6,036
which is not that bad.It services a large amount of people possibly around 5-10 thousand! plus the actual population. Shoal harbour drive is the new heart of development in clarenville. Seems like everyday there is a new building going up!
They recently built a kent, co-op gas bar with robins donuts, Scotiabank, and several car dealerships!. There is a few new unknown buildings under-construction at the moment.

That's really exciting! I must say! Clarenville is if not my favorite, on the top of my list of favorite towns on the island. Not too far from the city but far enough to be around the bay, it is exceptionally beautiful and quaint at the same time has many conveniences and the ski hills A great long weekend place!

are you out there now?
are you able to get some pics for the thread?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
Clarenville is also doing great! pop: 6,036
They recently built a kent, co-op gas bar with robins donuts, Scotiabank, and several car dealerships!. There are a few new unknown buildings under-construction at the moment.

I remember CBC doing a piece on development in Clarenville a couple of months back. I must say, it looks as if there's a lot going on there. I believe a new Orange Store is being built next to the Irving on the highway as well. If you can, take some pics and post them on the thread, I'd love to see all the new development.

Edit: Sorry, just read your last sentence; looks like you did mention the new Orange Store after all.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 11:12 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a camra..

But if I did I would be more than happy the post some pics!
I am thinking about getting one though!

There is also a new subdivision development called riverview estates ( not sure on the name) ? That will have 100 houses!!
Also some new residential developments going on in Shoal Harbour.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:33 PM

Where is Riverview Estates going? Is that the plan for the new subdivision on the river-side of Shoal Harbour Drive?

Clarenville alone has a massive amount of new housing lately. The subdivision on the top of Shoal Harbour Drive must have 60-80 houses. Then there's two new subdivisions off Huntley Drive, a new road(s) connecting Taverner Place to Gregory Place and more new housing up toward Milton. I'd love someone to capture some of that development.

Seconding how amazing Shoal Harbour Drive's business area is expanding as well. The amount of buildings up there exploded in a very short time frame. Good news for Clarenville!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's nice to see a town like Clarenville doing well. It used to be comparable to Marystown, on the Burin Peninsula, but is now surging ahead while the other declines.

Clarenville also has beautiful scenery and it's very strategically located as a transportation hub.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
Where is Riverview Estates going? Is that the plan for the new subdivision on the river-side of Shoal Harbour Drive?

Clarenville alone has a massive amount of new housing lately. The subdivision on the top of Shoal Harbour Drive must have 60-80 houses. Then there's two new subdivisions off Huntley Drive, a new road(s) connecting Taverner Place to Gregory Place and more new housing up toward Milton. I'd love someone to capture some of that development.

Seconding how amazing Shoal Harbour Drive's business area is expanding as well. The amount of buildings up there exploded in a very short time frame. Good news for Clarenville!
Sorry for the wrong name! I saw it today and it is actually river valley estates. It is located in clarenville south, along memorial drive.
some other recent developments include : Herbal magic, Credit union NL, a new pharmacy, Uncle Li's Chinese restaurant, and Greco pizza express

Much more residential development is also taking place at Hibernia drive area on top of the hill!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

November 17, 2012

A few pictures of Clarenville and surrounding area from our trip to Bonavista yesterday:

Clarenville by Signal Hill Hiker Photos, on Flickr

Princeton by Signal Hill Hiker Photos, on Flickr

Princeton by Signal Hill Hiker Photos, on Flickr

Amherst Cove by Signal Hill Hiker Photos, on Flickr

Summerville by Signal Hill Hiker Photos, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 9:14 PM

Antimony Mine Suspends Operations

A bit of a blow to the Central region. Hopefully things pick up in the short term and the mine resumes operation.

VOCM, Nov 22, 2012.

Quote:
The Beaver Brook Antimony Mine near Glenwood has suspended operations indefinitely, and 90 workers have been given their notice. General Manager Brendan Alexander says it's been a rough week. The announcement was made on Tuesday and workers were given an 8 week notice while the mine winds down operations. The mine reactivated in early 2008 after a 10 year shut down. Alexander says the suspension of operations is due to a number of factors, including the fact that they encountered a lower head grade than predicted. He says exploration will resume in the spring, and should greater, higher grade reserves be found and market conditions warrant, the mine could reopen, but he doesn't want to provide a false sense of hope. Alexander says in the meantime, they will secure the site and maintain all licenses and permits, while meeting their environmental obligations. The care and maintenance crew will consist of 6 to 10 people, while the last of the 90 full-time staff will wrap up employment January 14th.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28547&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
November 17, 2012

A few pictures of Clarenville and surrounding area from our trip to Bonavista yesterday:

^ This shows a nice view of a more upscale area. The business area of Clarenville also reminded me of a larger town last time I drove through. I think it will grow beyond the size of Gander eventually, and much more scenic.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I don't know if anyone on here is from Corner Brook or in Corner Brook but I'd love to see this thread come back to life.. I'm sure there are lots of developments happening around the province, I know there are some interesting ones on Fogo Island

What's happening in Corner Brook right now? I remember reading somewhere that there were some issues with the public transit
The new ads for Grenfell campus are absolutly great!

If anyone is there currently maybe you could upload some photos even of the city and Downtown etc to show the current situation as well as of any developments happening
I'm kind of nomadic currently, but I'm from the west coast and have lived in Corner Brook and Stephenville for a number of years each (S'ville is my home, but CB will always be a second home).

Corner Brook really was depending on that new hospital to be built, which looks to be on the back burner for one reason or another. The new residence at Grenfell looks great but is actually behind schedule apparently.

- There is a new multi-purpose sports centre slated for Wellington Street, to house gymnastics and similar sports.
-Work on the highway divide from the Industrial access to Massey Drive/Confederation Drive exit is still continuing.
-Out in Pasadena, they are getting set to start a new community centre/sports facility
-A developer is looking at doing something with the old city hall, no details released yet
-a number of attempts have been made to develop land near the university/new hospital, but nobody has come forward with a real pitch yet.

Other than that, Corner Brook is fairly quiet right now. The council is perceived as very unfriendly to business and self-serving, so expect a big turnover in the next election. I think a lot of people are getting fed up with it.

As for the city transit system, I expect it to be scrapped in the spring. All the changes that went into modernizing it have failed to attract riders, the city has a declining population and has made it clear that similar sized cities have long since abandoned transport (or never had it). The only group fighting for it is the students' union at Grenfell and honestly, the student ridership just isn't there.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:20 AM

I've actually been ignorant of the new work being done in GF-W for a while...

As it turns out, the old Co-op lot in the downtown is going to be the site of a new civic centre, funded largely by the provincial government.

I assume the working design is the one on the front page of the link Jeddy posted a while back.

See here: http://www.tractconsulting.com/portf...elopment-plan/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:48 PM

I heard a rumor that the company who picked up the KFC franchises outside St. John's will be putting a KFC/Taco Bell in either Corner Brook or Deer Lake. Did anyone else hear about this?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I heard a rumor that the company who picked up the KFC franchises outside St. John's will be putting a KFC/Taco Bell in either Corner Brook or Deer Lake. Did anyone else hear about this?
The company that acquired the KFC franchises outside St. John's is FMI Marketing, a New Brunswick based company I believe. I haven't heard anything regarding a Taco Bell in either Corner Brook or Deer Lake, but I do know that there is a Burger King opening in Deer Lake. It's going up near the KFC location, just off the TCH in that horrid mess of off-ramps and municipal streets leading into the town.

KFC will be building new locations in both Deer Lake and Stephenville (Oppy's Diners will be converting the existing buildings), so if there is a Taco Bell opening up I would assume Deer Lake is the location since they have a burgeoning strip of take-outs along the highway. The Corner Brook KFC is small and has no drive-thru, so I can't see a Taco Bell fitting into it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 9:58 PM

I thought it would be interesting to post links to some videos that show off different centres on the island. We've all seen photographs, but video can give a different perspective. I included only videos produced by/in association with the municipality, and avoided amateur videos such as tourist compilations and slideshows. Unfortunately this proved very difficult since I only knew of two and couldn't find any others. If anyone else knows of anything, post them. I'd like to see how other towns/cities outside St. John's show themselves off.

Corner Brook: Tourism Video - Parts of this seem to have been taken straight out of the 90's, but it mentions Wal-Mart so it can't be more than 10 years old. It emphasizes how much of an update is needed. The nightclub scenes make me chuckle.

Stephenville: Live-Work-Grow

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:06 PM

In one of the more ridiculous ideas I've heard in a while, Deer Lake is trying to lure Costco into opening up in the community.

Quote:
Council has been in contact with retail giant Costco and have been told it will have a meeting with company representatives in the new year, possibly February according to Mayor Dean Ball.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...nal-retailer/1

They plan on selling themselves as a regional anchor point, which seems flawed to me, being on the northern edge of the west coast population corridor, and a substantial distance from central. People in Gander would have a 4 hour drive to Deer Lake, whereas they can get to St. John's in just as much time and have many more shopping options.

Corner Brook pitched for Costco a couple of times but came up empty, so I don't see Deer Lake, with just 25%, of C.B.'s population fairing any better.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
In one of the more ridiculous ideas I've heard in a while, Deer Lake is trying to lure Costco into opening up in the community.

http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...nal-retailer/1

They plan on selling themselves as a regional anchor point, which seems flawed to me, being on the northern edge of the west coast population corridor, and a substantial distance from central. People in Gander would have a 4 hour drive to Deer Lake, whereas they can get to St. John's in just as much time and have many more shopping options.

Corner Brook pitched for Costco a couple of times but came up empty, so I don't see Deer Lake, with just 25%, of C.B.'s population fairing any better.
Unfortunately, I can't see this happening either. If Costco were to open a second location outside of St. John's metro I would think GFW would be the best option; it is more centralized and would draw on a population-base from West and Central NL. But even that case I would find surprising; just like you said, Trevor3, Costco is a big attraction for people coming to SJ for shopping, but it's not the only attraction. SJ draws on a regular population-base from Clarenville (may be even as far as Gander) East, which is about 350-400k. If Deer Lake (or surrounding area) could somehow establish themselves as a retail hub and attract other major retailers then it becomes more viable - but that could be a tougher scenario to play out. But it doesn't hurt to try, what's the worst thing that can happen... the west coast could get a Costco.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Unfortunately, I can't see this happening either. If Costco were to open a second location outside of St. John's metro I would think GFW would be the best option; it is more centralized and would draw on a population-base from West and Central NL. But even that case I would find surprising; just like you said, Trevor3, Costco is a big attraction for people coming to SJ for shopping, but it's not the only attraction. SJ draws on a regular population-base from Clarenville (may be even as far as Gander) East, which is about 350-400k. If Deer Lake (or surrounding area) could somehow establish themselves as a retail hub and attract other major retailers then it becomes more viable - but that could be a tougher scenario to play out. But it doesn't hurt to try, what's the worst thing that can happen... the west coast could get a Costco.
Yeah, I think the same thing about Grand Falls-Windsor. It's centrally located and is the hub of central NL, so there is already a trend of traffic travelling to GFW. Within 15-20 years I can see GFW passing Corner Brook in population. Their council has been on the ball since their mill closed and done great work to promote new business and overall growth. There's always lots of talk about Clarenville, Labrador City and the St. John's peripheries, but Grand Falls-Windsor is a real dark horse in all this.

To be honest, the best chance for the west coast to get a Costco was about 15 years ago when Corner Brook was starting the planning of Murphy Square and went after a Wal-Mart. At that time, the region had 2 profitable paper mills, 2 airports with strong passenger traffic, and a lot of people employed in various spinoff industries from those economic engines. As far as I know, Costco did not see the region as viable then and decided to hold off. There was also talk a while back, shortly after Murphy Square, that Pasadena was looking at developing a power centre and tried to get Costco as an anchor for that, but they also came up empty.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 2:06 PM

Corner Brook restaurant closes without notice

Not a great start for the new Oppy's diner chain:

Source: CBC NL
Author: Unknown
Date: Dec 21, 2012

Quote:
Staff at Oppy's restaurant in Corner Brook arrived at work Friday morning to find the front door padlocked and wrapped in chains.

Chef Dwayne Ruth said he had no idea the restaurant was going to close.

He said it couldn't have come at a worse time.

"I got rent, I got car insurance. I got a kid at home," Ruth said. "Christmas and all this. Thinking I was working and actually going to save money and stuff like that. And now to be going back on unemployment this time of year, it just hurts."

Dispute with landlord

Renee Marquis, the owner of Oppy's, said she had been in a dispute with the building's owners, and the landlord put the locks on the door.

She said she planned to keep the restaurant open until after Christmas.

"I think you can say the location is not suitable for this particular endeavour," said Marquis.

She said she had instructed that all staff be notified that the restaurant was closed, but that didn't happen.

Marquis was a former KFC franchise owner.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sure-1221.html

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 6:23 PM

Actually I was in Corner Brook yesterday and tried to find the restaurant. I figured I would at least try it to see what this place is all about. Anyway, it was on Broadway, tucked inside the Alteen's building, which is essentially a little mini-mall. If I wasn't looking for it I would never have found it.

That location would never have lasted anyway. There is a lot of empty retail space in Corner Brook, so there's no need to be tucked away like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces