HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Mass Gathering Permit approved. No link yet.
Cool, I know there's a video on friends of f1 Austin that takes a group of people on the track, which I thought was interesting because the tour guy said there was going to be a soccer field or something that does with soccer. Has anyone heard about this or is it just something out there for later on?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Cool, I know there's a video on friends of f1 Austin that takes a group of people on the track, which I thought was interesting because the tour guy said there was going to be a soccer field or something that does with soccer. Has anyone heard about this or is it just something out there for later on?
That was the first I had heard of it... He mentioned World Cup Soccer... wow.

Anyway, the CoTA site has prices out -- and ticket sales will open 9AM on June 10th. I think they were just waiting for the Mass Gathering Permit to be approved.
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/tickets

Tickets are $159-$499. Not including fees.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
That was the first I had heard of it... He mentioned World Cup Soccer... wow.

Anyway, the CoTA site has prices out -- and ticket sales will open 9AM on June 10th. I think they were just waiting for the Mass Gathering Permit to be approved.
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/tickets

Tickets are $159-$499. Not including fees.
Soccer Field

I didn't catch that in the video. Any chance you remember what the time on the video was when it was mentioned.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post
Soccer Field

I didn't catch that in the video. Any chance you remember what the time on the video was when it was mentioned.
It was mentioned at 11:00 and then again around 11:43.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
It was mentioned at 11:00 and then again around 11:43.
He mentioned it about 3 or 4 times. "World Cup".

Pshyaaaa. OK.

1st off, we already have one very nice football stadium right here in the city with (I believe) the highest seating capacity in the state (Cowboys Stadium only exceeds it with SRO). Then there's Cowboys Stadium. Then there's Reliant. There are other reasons, but that's enough to make me call BS. Sounds way too much like a timeshare sales pitch.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 5:34 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...1-2393171.html
Quote:
County OKs needed permit for F1, details $1.1 million in road work

By Farzad Mashhood

Updated: 10:56 p.m. Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Published: 10:51 p.m. Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Amid persistent complaints from residents near the future site of the U.S. Grand Prix Formula One race, organizers secured a necessary permit from Travis County on Tuesday. County staffers also announced an additional $1.1 million in county-funded road work for race infrastructure.

The race, just five months away, is expected to draw 250,000 to Elroy from Nov. 16 to 18, with 120,000 expected on Nov. 18, according to officials with Circuit of the Americas.

Tuesday was the first time officials detailed about $1.1 million of at least $5.2 million in spending on county road improvements around the track. The decision to pay for the improvements, made in mid-April, was a shift from officials' earlier insistence that organizers pick up the full tab for the work.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:

Pshyaaaa. OK.

1st off, we already have one very nice football stadium right here in the city with (I believe) the highest seating capacity in the state (Cowboys Stadium only exceeds it with SRO). Then there's Cowboys Stadium. Then there's Reliant. There are other reasons, but that's enough to make me call BS. Sounds way too much like a timeshare sales pitch.
Def. a sales pitch. No way the track gets these types of games. Especially since last weeks Mexico vs. Brazil sold out cowboys stadium with over 80,000 tickets.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 7:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post
Def. a sales pitch. No way the track gets these types of games. Especially since last weeks Mexico vs. Brazil sold out cowboys stadium with over 80,000 tickets.
I wouldn't brush that aside so easily. We really dont know what they plan to do with the surrounding acreage, remember they are only using rougly 450 acres for the track out of 1,000 that they own. Less than half for the racetrack. Now Ive heard all sorts of rumors which im sure some of you have heard as well. But suffice to say that land is not just gonna sit there. The longterm investment is going to be in the billions and we are only just begining to see the first phase of what could be a massive entertainment and tourist destination that could rival the top destinations in the nation. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 7:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Pshyaaaa. OK.

The UT stadium will only be used for UT games, we wont see other intities using that. Austin lacks a major stadium and they have the land there to do it. Texas is a big state so wether Houston and Dallas have those facilities have nothing to do with Austin.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The UT stadium will only be used for UT games, we wont see other intities using that. Austin lacks a major stadium and they have the land there to do it. Texas is a big state so wether Houston and Dallas have those facilities have nothing to do with Austin.
I don't think you know that. DKR gets used for HS playoff games every year. No reason it couldn't be used for the World Cup, were such an event to be attracted here.

As for the unused land out there, a huge chunk of it is well below the flood plain. I don't see anyone building any kind of substantial structure in there, much less a stadium.

Notice Al never said that any effort like that was underway, just that it could happen. Typical sleazy sales BS.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 9:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I don't think you know that. DKR gets used for HS playoff games every year. No reason it couldn't be used for the World Cup, were such an event to be attracted here.

As for the unused land out there, a huge chunk of it is well below the flood plain. I don't see anyone building any kind of substantial structure in there, much less a stadium.

Notice Al never said that any effort like that was underway, just that it could happen. Typical sleazy sales BS.
UT is unlikely to approve any major event like that unless they were desperate for money which at this time they are not. High school is one thing but World Cup soccer is a completely different animal. I know UT does not let the DKR to be used for concert events or other events and I could find out in more detail from my brother in law who is the head of the University Technical department, he knows the higher ups and can get me that information.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 9:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Flood plains can be altered, look at Waller Creek downtown as an example. Why get that much land if they were not going to do anything els with it? Ive heard COTA officials say that the F1 track is just the first phase of a much more massive complex. That land will be used for something.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 9:40 PM
~Hook'em~

15 years seems to be a lifetime in Austin. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more go up at the track in that time. If the race is a success. They really need to hit a home run.

As for UT hosting a world cup, never going to happen. Or I shouldn't say never, but only if for some reason UT loses all of its funding and something horrible happens to the school financially.

I don't think the UT Stadium could even fit a field large enough for the World Cup. Aren't the a good deal bigger than a football field? The football field was lowed and the stands now go right down to it. There is very little room between row 1 and the field.

Now on the Soccor Stadium right next to it, the one between DKR and I-35 that could have a field big enough. It even had the track and they do the Texas Relays there. I think its current capacity is at 20,000 vs the over 100,000 at DKR.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't think the UT Stadium could even fit a field large enough for the World Cup. Aren't the a good deal bigger than a football field? The football field was lowed and the stands now go right down to it. There is very little room between row 1 and the field.
Yeah, I think you are right -- it's definitely too narrow for a soccer field.

Also, no alcohol allowed. Can't see DKR working out for any pro sports.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you are right -- it's definitely too narrow for a soccer field.

Also, no alcohol allowed. Can't see DKR working out for any pro sports.
Pretty sure they can serve alcohol at non-NCAA/Big 12 events.

Y'all are dreaming if you think this crew is gonna build a freaking World Cup level stadium when they've cut back massively on this project as it is.

Above it was mentioned about this project being a part of something much bigger, with drag racing, business, research, education, and other components. That was Hellmund's vision, not Epstein's. Seems like they've been attempting to revive that talk a little bit of late, but if you buy into the World Cup talk, then I'd love to see you at the sales office if I ever build a timeshare (not bloody likely).

DKR probably is too narrow, but the reason they don't have concerts there any more is due to field damage by fans at a ZZ Top concert in the late 70s.

Attracting a World Cup match or series of matches means either having a stadium already in place or building it to suit WC needs. So you're talking about building it just for the WC. A stadium like that needs a home team to continue playing in it. I don't see the AlamoDome mistake being repeated anytime soon around here.

Almost forgot, there's also the recently expanded and renovated Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas, which is wide enough and has hosted several WC matches.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:12 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:37 AM

Hearing people now saying that the presale email went out to the entire COTA email list rather than just folks who paid the $100 fee or ppl who did the survey.

Nice.

Also, the ticket plan still isn't final per Geoff Moore. There may be 1-day tickets in the future.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...f_the_ame.html

Also hearing that totals on 3-day GA tickets are coming out to about $180 after the TM fees & taxes. If COTA plans to use TM as their ticket sales mechanism, then these fees might as well be considered part of the price by the consumer. Some other races include all fees & taxes in their pricing, like Montreal at $120.

Last edited by turn1; Jun 7, 2012 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:56 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im not saying that there will be a soccer stadium, but what I am saying is there are other plans in the works we do not know about. Sure things changed with Hellmund gone but they have some sort of long-term vision in place whatever it may be. It will be over several years of planning and development so its not like its gonna happen anytime soon. But if all goes well we will see a massive transformation in that area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hearing people now saying that the presale email went out to the entire COTA email list rather than just folks who paid the $100 fee or ppl who did the survey.

Nice.
I got the pre-sale email and I never took any survey and I definitely didn't pay $100.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:52 PM

I bought two last night....$640....not bad...paid nearly $500 for two Texan tickets several years ago. They beat Seattle by at least 30 points...Hope the race is closer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin