HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 5:58 PM
International

Awesome thread and updates! Thank you for your service!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Awesome thread and updates! Thank you for your service!
Thank you!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 4:03 AM

the organic density and quality of downtown la architecture is encouraging for future growth. only when they run out of land to sprawl, will investment make sense in dtwla, i think la has reached that point.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:05 AM

with websites like the following, dtladenizen doesn't have to work quite so hard helping keep everyone up to date.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
with websites like the following, dtladenizen doesn't have to work quite so hard helping keep everyone up to date.....
Haha thank you for showing that to me. Though it doesn't compare to what I've got up my sleeve... This thread is going to get a lot of publicity from outside SSP in the next week or so.

Just a couple pics from today:

Urban Gardening at the Warner Downtown Theatre by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Hope Parking Garage/33-story Tower by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Hope Parking Garage/33-story Tower by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Though it doesn't compare to what I've got up my sleeve...
I've always appreciated your pics, the quantity & quality....and nature....of them. I think you &, for pics of LA in general, pwright1, have a knack for getting photographs that help ppl see & better understand...or enjoy....what's going on. So this now is the only other thread at ssp that I'm dropping in on as frequently as I'm doing. I'd like it to be to the 'my city photos' forum what the 'noirish Los Angeles' thread is to the 'found city photos' forum. So if there are moments when you or others can't keep it active, I'll try to do my part.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:02 PM

DTLA denizen,
I would never assume that a website to watch construction would ever take away from the importance of your contributions. Do do so would be sheer folly. I also think that you truly enjoy your connection to the city, and no website would dare rob you of that joy.
I love the shot of what was once the Pantages theatre, although the building looks to be in need of some TLC (like a good bath). I have books with vintage photos showing throngs of pedestrians at that intersection in the early war years. If fact, the marquee read that Rhapsody in Blue was showing. I sometimes wonder how interesting it would have been to live in the city in that era, I have a feeling that it was an incredibly growing and dynamic place. On a side note I'd like to comment on the new 888 south Hope tower by RTKL. Based upon the renderings, I feel it's okay--not great, but not bad. I hope that CIM, which usually does good work, sees the need to rework some features with the architects. The original done by Kanner Architects was quite stunning, truly a hard act to follow. Since I think that the firm is still functioning after the untimely death of its founder Stephen Kanner, I don't understand why CIM would not use the original design and just truncate the tower from 40 stories to 33. Can you explain why.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
DTLA denizen,
I would never assume that a website to watch construction would ever take away from the importance of your contributions. Do do so would be sheer folly. I also think that you truly enjoy your connection to the city, and no website would dare rob you of that joy.
I love the shot of what was once the Pantages theatre, although the building looks to be in need of some TLC (like a good bath). I have books with vintage photos showing throngs of pedestrians at that intersection in the early war years. If fact, the marquee read that Rhapsody in Blue was showing. I sometimes wonder how interesting it would have been to live in the city in that era, I have a feeling that it was an incredibly growing and dynamic place. On a side note I'd like to comment on the new 888 south Hope tower by RTKL. Based upon the renderings, I feel it's okay--not great, but not bad. I hope that CIM, which usually does good work, sees the need to rework some features with the architects. The original done by Kanner Architects was quite stunning, truly a hard act to follow. Since I think that the firm is still functioning after the untimely death of its founder Stephen Kanner, I don't understand why CIM would not use the original design and just truncate the tower from 40 stories to 33. Can you explain why.
Thanks for the kind words.

The old Pantages is really an amazing building... It will be some time until the jewelry tenants are kicked out and the theatre refurbished unfortunately.

Great resource to follow the theatre news in DTLA:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LAHTF/

And for information specifically on the 7th & Hill Pantages:
https://sites.google.com/site/downto...arner_downtown

The 888 South Hope tower is certainly just OK - not great. But what are we comparing it to? Nationally its OK/boring, internationally its boring infill, but for DTLA its (sadly) pretty great. I assume this design will be cheaper for them. Developers in DTLA don't yet see the cost benefit of a decently designed building.

Think about this, our best building going up is Wilshire Grand - which is nice, but not spectacular when compared to structures in other top cities. The bar is set so low, why would anyone want to spend extra money going above and beyond? Save that that for their Chicago, NYC, and Chinese developments.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 7:17 AM

oooh i cant wait to see whats poppin! hopefully so great retail news

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 PM

This is a great thread... thank you so much for taking and sharing all these photos! Those last two you posted really hit home how different that stretch is going to look in the not to distant future. Exciting times in DTLA

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:34 PM

Nice work, as always!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:56 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Wonderful thread, Hunter!

Enough with the freaking Broadway dress rehearsal. They need to get started on the real thing already.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the photos there great you were very timely with 8th and Olive images another pocket of change coming. I was happy to hear the Commercial Ex. bldg. was purchased the wonderful building was always on the list of top eye soars. With the influx of new residents in this area and if the business conditions remain as they are what do you see happening along 8th between Olive and Hill? property values for the Olive and Bristol Hotels Garland and Vault corner have to increasing rapidly. It's going to be interesting to watch. Thanks again,your photos make it possible.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thanks for all the photos there great you were very timely with 8th and Olive images another pocket of change coming. I was happy to hear the Commercial Ex. bldg. was purchased the wonderful building was always on the list of top eye soars. With the influx of new residents in this area and if the business conditions remain as they are what do you see happening along 8th between Olive and Hill? property values for the Olive and Bristol Hotels Garland and Vault corner have to increasing rapidly. It's going to be interesting to watch. Thanks again,your photos make it possible.
Now we need the Garfield building on 8th brought back to life! Probably my favorite building that sits empty. It was designed by Claud Beelman, the same architect who designed the Eastern Columbia.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Wonderful thread, Hunter!

Enough with the freaking Broadway dress rehearsal. They need to get started on the real thing already.
Thanks! I agree a real deal would be nicer - or even better a sidewalk extension on Spring Street where there is already lots of foot traffic and not enough sidewalk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thank you! I think 8th between Olive & Hill will be a nice stretch of little restaurants (Pelicola, Golden Golpher, Colori, and more), specially once the big corner space at Union Lofts (8th/Hill) is picked up by a high-end restaurant. I believe I heard The Vault was going to upgrade their buildings appearance... That would be sad, tear the piece of shit down (that replaced a real masterpiece - the RKO Hill Street Theatre) and send the club away.

Commercial Exchange Building 1935 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

You can see down Hill to the RKO Hill Street & Garfield on the right.
7th & Hill 1931 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
Now we need the Garfield building on 8th brought back to life! Probably my favorite building that sits empty. It was designed by Claud Beelman, the same architect who designed the Eastern Columbia.
Beelman designed so many iconic buildings throughout Central LA. Garfield is definitely my #1 (or 2 behind Merrit at 8th/Broadway) vacant building Downtown. I've tried many times to get in contact with the owners to no avail. There was a plan back in 2008 or so to turn it into condos, but that completely fell apart - no news since then.

Garfield Building 1931 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Broadway Merrit Building 1916 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

(Notice the RKO on the left)
8th & Hill 1930s & 2012 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:12 PM

I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.
It will DEFINITELY look excellent again.

In my mind there are 2 big questions with every Broadway building:

Will we get an idiot tenant who leaves the building filthy and rundown (ACE HOTEL) to keep the 'cool, hip, grunge' look or will we get an excellent tenant interested in actually Bringing Back Broadway?

It's just a matter of time. When I moved Downtown I mistakenly thought the critical mass / restoration madness time would be 2014/2015, I now believe its 2017/2020.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
It will DEFINITELY look excellent again.

In my mind there are 2 big questions with every Broadway building:

Will we get an idiot tenant who leaves the building filthy and rundown (ACE HOTEL) to keep the 'cool, hip, grunge' look or will we get an excellent tenant interested in actually Bringing Back Broadway?

It's just a matter of time. When I moved Downtown I mistakenly thought the critical mass / restoration madness time would be 2014/2015, I now believe its 2017/2020.
Hang in there Hunter, I don't know the exact time frame but I believe your vision (the same as shared by many others) will happen. I think I am like you when I look at a building which is truly incredible lie mortally wounded by time and neglect, I can't help but think about its past, and how the people of that time interacted with the structure as it was an integral part of the city. You mention recently the RKO Hillstreet theatre, well I have books which show the theatre just before demolition and fronted with a sign which proclaims a new 40 story building to take its place (which of course never happened). I think of that theater, the Atlantic Richfield tower, the Victorian Windsor Hotel (all demolished in the early to late sixties) and of course many others, and think what in the Hell where they thinking? Oh and by the way, as far as the 'cool, hip, grunge' look taken on by Ace Hotel (and hopefully not others), it should more accurately be called the "cheap-out" look.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Hang in there Hunter, I don't know the exact time frame but I believe your vision (the same as shared by many others) will happen. I think I am like you when I look at a building which is truly incredible lie mortally wounded by time and neglect, I can't help but think about its past, and how the people of that time interacted with the structure as it was an integral part of the city. You mention recently the RKO Hillstreet theatre, well I have books which show the theatre just before demolition and fronted with a sign which proclaims a new 40 story building to take its place (which of course never happened). I think of that theater, the Atlantic Richfield tower, the Victorian Windsor Hotel (all demolished in the early to late sixties) and of course many others, and think what in the Hell where they thinking? Oh and by the way, as far as the 'cool, hip, grunge' look taken on by Ace Hotel (and hopefully not others), it should more accurately be called the "cheap-out" look.

In regards to the grunge look I've heard a rumor that Cliftons is leaving their facade as it is NOW. In complete disrepair. That really pisses me off, Huizar should be on top of this type of non-restoration (as well as stopping the 7-stories and the flat-roofs, but he's dropped the ball on it all).

Don't forget the old Paramount (the largest movie theatre in Downtown at 3,600 seats)- which was torn down for a skyscraper that never happened.

https://sites.google.com/site/downto...s/metropolitan

OR The Philharmonic - one of Downtowns biggest losses at 5,000 seats.

https://sites.google.com/site/downto...res/auditorium

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:01 AM

The parking lot below will be the site of Palmers 6 story apartment complex. The Triangular building (the old LA Railway building) is vacant. Behind it is the old Case Hotel which is starting its boutique hotel conversion in August.
11th & Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Without the facade lighting the new Marriott at Francisco & Olympic would be quite ugly. It has made quite a visual impact.
Olympic from Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

View towards Bunker Hill from Historic Core. You can see how large an impact the 9th & Olive Onni tower has made. If you look directly behind the cab of the crane you'll see the blank strip of sky where Wilshire Grand will rise.
Downtown Skyline 7/14 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos