HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 11:12 PM

Incidentally i've found a couple other things happening in the area. Apparently there is a new strip mall going where the Wheelies was on McPhillips. I guess the Kia dealership plan fell through.

http://2401mcphillips.com

And apparently there are plans for a retail development now at Main and the Perimeter

https://www.collierscanada.com/23328#.Wt1bgB65vcs

And i've also seen they are trying to develop an area just behind the Tim's (next to McMunn).

Last edited by vjose32; Apr 22, 2018 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:33 AM

^K I'm sorry but the logo for 2401 McPhillips is hilarious. Looks like a 10 storey office building... lol.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:52 PM
Ignore these four words.

Looks like an abstract log house to me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:03 PM

Giant Tiger opening on Ellice next door to Staples in the former Sears Home location.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:16 PM

That Colliers one also shows a residential development called Riverdale West within the Perimeter, north of City limits.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:55 PM

Colliers is seemingly fishing for retail tenants there. The development has 2x 100,000 sq ft units and 2x50,000+ sq ft units. Even if you spin it and say Walmart and Costco are taking the larger units who then is grabbing a 50,000 sq ft unit? The sizing doesn't make sense based on who the players might be.

--

In terms of Toys R Us Canada, a buyer has been found, Fairfax Financial. The deal isn't finalized just yet as it has a "beat this offer" provision allowing others to bid against it but failing that they are sold and even then they would just be sold to someone else.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:04 PM

Planet fitness is seems to be setting up their first Winnipeg location in the Richmond West plaza (2855 Pembina, across from the new Sobeys and Peavey Mart). They’re a chain that has cheap memberships for minimal services and basic equipment. Also known for being against ‘serious’ training, very much geared those new to fitness.

Their website indicates the location is opening soon, no date

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:15 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Planet fitness is seems to be setting up their first Winnipeg location in the Richmond West plaza (2855 Pembina, across from the new Sobeys and Peavey Mart). They’re a chain that has cheap memberships for minimal services and basic equipment. Also known for being against ‘serious’ training, very much geared those new to fitness.

How do they accomplish that?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:

Their website indicates the location is opening soon, no date
Pricing seems in line with Fit4Less which opened at Northgate. That place is always packed. About time the discount gym chains came here. If you don't do classes why pay 4 times more.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

How do they accomplish that?
Apparently they have a 'lunk alarm' that a staff member sets off if a member is deemed to be intimidating to other members, which is loosely defined and up to staff to decide. If declared a 'lunk', that member is kicked out. I heard doing basic exercises like the deadlift or letting out a grunt can get you kicked out

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently they have a 'lunk alarm' that a staff member sets off if a member is deemed to be intimidating to other members, which is loosely defined and up to staff to decide. If declared a 'lunk', that member is kicked out. I heard doing basic exercises like the deadlift or letting out a grunt can get you kicked out
Part of their advertising is a "judgement free zone". Had to google the lunk alarm and it's true by the sounds of it. Not allowed to grunt or drop weights.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:52 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
That sounds irritating... what kind of place goes out of its way to hassle paying customers?

I googled it and here is the best explanation I could find:

Quote:
The lunk alarm isn't because people who work hard are judgemental. The lunk alarm is because people who work hard show up too often, which means the gym can't keep their utilization close to zero. The no judgement zone is really a no regular attendance zone.
Yeah, I'll pass.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
The alarms also go off automatically if a weight is dropped too hard/loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Part of their advertising is a "judgement free zone". Had to google the lunk alarm and it's true by the sounds of it. Not allowed to grunt or drop weights.
It's less "judgement-free" and more non-judgemental to its target group of people, and extremely judgemental to another. Fit4Less essentially carbon-copied the Planet Fitness model, it's almost identical. Main difference is F4L is extremely cheap because they use older equipment from GoodLifes that get upgraded.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:42 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Incidentally i've found a couple other things happening in the area. Apparently there is a new strip mall going where the Wheelies was on McPhillips. I guess the Kia dealership plan fell through.

http://2401mcphillips.com

And apparently there are plans for a retail development now at Main and the Perimeter

https://www.collierscanada.com/23328#.Wt1bgB65vcs

And i've also seen they are trying to develop an area just behind the Tim's (next to McMunn).
The Colliers proposal would be very good for not only North Winnipeg, but also West. St. Paul, and to some extent, East St. Paul.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I wish my gym would implement this. Dropping the weights can be very irritating. You do not need to drop the weights to do a proper deadlift. The morons who do look like ex cons.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I wish my gym would implement this. Dropping the weights can be very irritating. You do not need to drop the weights to do a proper deadlift. The morons who do look like ex cons.
Not to go too off the retail topic, but PF is notoriously known in gym forums for banning the deadlift outright, not just the act of dropping weights. I believe they have signs posting against it. Sure deadlifts can be done without dropping weights, and it is up to each gym to enforce their acceptable level of 'dropped weights', but PF says no to them period

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I managed a gym for ten years in my former life and can attest to a group of meatheads that liked making noise, grunting, dropping weights and generally attracting attention to themselves. I always confronted them with "if you can't put the weights down, don't pick them up". Dropping dumbells in inexcusable, even the heaviest of weights.

I do have to disagree with you on deadlifts. Probably a large percentage of deadlifts are unnecessarily loud for no reason but, when you start getting over 300 lbs the clanging of the weights starts to make noise and contact with the ground is inevitable.

The vast majority of gym users will never do a deadlift, so likely see it as a complete meathead exercise, but that and squats should be part of everyone's exercise program....total body exercise.

I only comment because I just did deadlifts at lunch today.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:15 PM

Depends on the weight. It is the juiceheads who lift crazy AF weights then drop them. They are annoying. Deadlifts can be beneficial, but you do not have to go crazy with the weight.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:15 PM

Fun news: Starbucks announced today that it's going all-in on drive-thrus and expects about 80% of new stores will have drive-thrus. Will also look to add them to existing stores where possible.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:41 PM

I know there have been US locations of Starbucks that literally moved across the street to add a drive thru. Definitely could be interesting here as lots of the locations are in places that do not have drive thrus and cannot add drive thrus. The penetration rate of Starbucks to the population size of Winnipeg also feels somewhat low for what they would usually want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan