HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That would be crazy/hilarious if the plans from 40 years ago came back to life and Hyatt went in here. It’s a fantastic location for a hotel, with indoor parking & skywalk connection, and minutes from The Forks and The Exchange.
It would be fantastic, and really, from a hotelier's perspective it's an ace location. Right at the busiest corner of the city and a stone's throw away from the places that many visitors are likely to be headed to (Forks, Exchange, Concert Hall, MTS Centre). Combine that with the fact that the foundation is already built and surely the idea holds some appeal.

I'd love to see it happen.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
plot twist: the building is extended to 50 floors to house the hotel. Bonus: top floor has an observation deck and a restaurant, cause us humans have a weird obsession with looking over cities.

Just daydreaming, but it would be sweet.
I think the building is going up as high as is possible.

Plus the core reinforcing is already well underway for the 42-storey building as proposed.

Tower crane is going up along Graham, near the midpoint of the building.

I have heard they are doing the centre portion first, which means the tower crane will not be installed until it is absolutely required.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Hawerchuk View Post
Was this it (from @Paul_Hesse on Twitter)?
That was it Ducky...thanks.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:39 PM
What could go wrong?

A great location for the Hyatt would have been on the SkyCity site. I know it will not happen because it is happening at 138 Portage but I just really hate those parking lots on Graham.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
A great location for the Hyatt would have been on the SkyCity site. I know it will not happen because it is happening at 138 Portage but I just really hate those parking lots on Graham.
The quicker underused/vacant buildings are filled up, the quicker we get to the point where market pressure will start to require these lots to be filled in. It's just such a SLOW process in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:

Time to start a thread?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:16 PM

Hyatt place

Quote:
Yes, the SkyCity site or alternately 416 Main would be my first choice followed 3rd by 330 Main.
So is that for sure that HYATT will be at 138 Portage?
On what tier or level is Hyatt Place and also Hyatt Hotel going near IKEA?
I am thinking they are just above entry level and nowhere near lets say, Hyatt Regency or Park Hyatt?
Probably those are higher than our market can bare in terms of price?
It does seem 144 rooms is a tad small compared to 390 @ Delta and 340 @ Fairmont etc 270 @ Radisson and not far off for Fort Garry etc... but that leaves room for another hotel to eventually open up downtown. Westin has always wanted to return here but it seems Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott are currently more aggressive.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jun 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM. Reason: update

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:32 PM

^ Hyatt Place is sort of a mid-range brand, basically Hyatt's version of Four Points (Sheraton) or Courtyard (Marriott).

Their hotels don't typically have the entire range of services which set apart the full-service brands. A full-service hotel with ballrooms, restaurants, lounges, room service, valet parking, the whole bit like the Fairmont, Delta, Radisson, Fort Garry, etc. have would be far more expensive to build.

It'll be interesting to see what the Hyatt Place ends up looking like. I wonder if it will expand 138 Portage E. to fill in an entire surface lot? That would be the ideal.

Even though that block is a bit of a pedestrian dead zone, it's still a decent location in that you're within easy walking distance to a bunch of attractions.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:38 PM

I stayed in a Hyatt Place (I think) in Minneapolis a couple years ago. Was a conversion of some older building, maybe a hotel. But it was decent, rooms were modern. Didn't a have a ton of amenities but was a good stay.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hyatt Place is sort of a mid-range brand, basically Hyatt's version of Four Points (Sheraton) or Courtyard (Marriott).

Their hotels don't typically have the entire range of services which set apart the full-service brands. A full-service hotel with ballrooms, restaurants, lounges, room service, valet parking, the whole bit like the Fairmont, Delta, Radisson, Fort Garry, etc. have would be far more expensive to build.

It'll be interesting to see what the Hyatt Place ends up looking like. I wonder if it will expand 138 Portage E. to fill in an entire surface lot? That would be the ideal.

Even though that block is a bit of a pedestrian dead zone, it's still a decent location in that you're within easy walking distance to a bunch of attractions.
Ya it's a step up from their entry level. They all have cafes and a breakfast area, some have a restaurant/bar but not all.

It won't be a pedestrian dead zone when P&M is open and residents and tourists alike walk freely between downtown, Exchange, and Forks, and those lots around Westbrook keep filling in.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:30 PM

^ You're right, it's definitely headed in the right direction. The Hyatt Place, P&M opening, and even to some extent the Richardson project even though it's on Lombard will all help to improve that block.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:40 PM

Ha, sometimes this stuff is just hiding in plain sight. I just googled this rendering taken from a 10 MB PDF file that has a date of October 2016.

Looks like they're going to stretch the building up by a few storeys. Looks like maybe 12 storeys total?

Unfortunately but not that surprisingly, to my squinting eyes it looks like there will be a dropoff lane and small parking area on the lot immediately to the east, so my hopes of having a surface lot filled in have been quashed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is the property allocation.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:43 PM
What could go wrong?

I have to say, it will be amazing having life forms in that area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I'm pretty curious where they plan on placing the crane? I don't really see an area they have cleared for it. I guess with the rain it will be delayed again, looks like saturday would have been a better day to put it up.
We had two in saskatoon for our riverlanding project that were just fastened into the ground at grade. And had a crap ton of those stone weights piled up on each side. They may do the same for this one.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:39 AM

There is a big mobile crane on Main right now loading some giant beams onto the roof of WS right now... is it possibly the crane is being fastened to the roof?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:28 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There is a big mobile crane on Main right now loading some giant beams onto the roof of WS right now... is it possibly the crane is being fastened to the roof?
It's being supported off of existing columns.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's being supported off of existing columns.
Ah, so not going on Graham anymore?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:37 AM
the first stamp is free

along graham, on the building, not on the street

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:19 PM

Hopefully the crane goes up today, this will be a nice view of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan