HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 11:38 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This article reminded me of your comments RE: Italy, kool maudit... I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for Austrians.

Quote:
After the game, Vienna saw massive rioting between members of the two ethnic groups.
http://www.dw.de/nationalism-gaining...nia/a-18009003

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 PM
video et taceo

what a spectacle that game was! it was not a good night to be albanian in belgrade (i have albanian friends who went, swiss and german passports in hand naturally).

austrians may have been put out, but import balkan people and become a bit more balkan yourself.

it can't all be fun dim sum in chinatown.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
See for me there is no best place it is the best place for each person. I personally love all of Canada and have spent a significant amount of time in all 4 large provinces of Canada (the most being Alberta followed by Ontario). However I am currently in Canada for Alberta for work and plan on moving out of the country but Europe is not in my plans. I personally am considering the Middle East and hope to retire to a small town in the mountains in Lebanon overlooking the Mediterranean (Already have the land and now just to build ensure my finances are there to live and ensure my little guy is taken care of then off I go). To me living between the olive trees with orange groves below and overlooking the med on one side and 3,000M mountains on the other is perfect. I don't have to worry about high taxes that you have in Western Europe. It is very relaxed med climate is what is best for me and whenever I feel like going for a short trip I could visit Europe which is a short hop away or what is also likely a flight to Canada to visit friends and family.

So any argument is this place is the best or that place is the best is useless. It is what is best for each person. If that place is Toronto or Mississippi or Seville or even the Shetland Island then as long as it works for you all the power to you.
Keep in mind that, the Canadian government is unlikey to evacuate you for free the next time the shooting starts again, so have a good emergency plan in place!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:17 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Have you even been to Alberta? I'm not saying Alberta and Ontario are identical or that Alberta isn't perhaps more conservative than other places, but it isn't nearly as conservative as the province is made out to be. The shoppers at Yorkdale could easily be transplanted to Chinook or Southgate and no one would bat an eye.
Oh, ue. Predictable as always. Alberta isn't conservative. It's full of Whigs.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I know this debate has gotten tiresome. But I think the real issue is, in my experience when people say "Alberta is more conservative" they do not mean it in a realistic, complex political sphere. It's a caricature of canada's regressive oil cowboys. And if a local tries to explain of the ins and outs of Alberta's political culture they are told they are just making excuses or whatnot. The majoirty of Albertans don't understand the realities of politics in central canada (quebec especially), even though many think they do. It works the other way around as well.

I can and will bitch about 'berta for days. But I also live here, and know and understand, at least to some to degree why it is what it is, and what it actually is. People aren't frustrated because the rest of the country is simply factually observing voting trends, but becaues they are drawing implications and conclusions from them that aren't realistic.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:15 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I know this debate has gotten tiresome. But I think the real issue is, in my experience when people say "Alberta is more conservative" they do not mean it in a realistic, complex political sphere. It's a caricature of canada's regressive oil cowboys. And if a local tries to explain of the ins and outs of Alberta's political culture they are told they are just making excuses or whatnot. The majoirty of Albertans don't understand the realities of politics in central canada (quebec especially), even though many think they do. It works the other way around as well.

I can and will bitch about 'berta for days. But I also live here, and know and understand, at least to some to degree why it is what it is, and what it actually is. People aren't frustrated because the rest of the country is simply factually observing voting trends, but becaues they are drawing implications and conclusions from them that aren't realistic.
Oh I know. I'm just saying: Grits, Whigs, Tories, Dixies, Yankees and Habs all can and are viewed as conservatives by those who are outside of that group.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Keep in mind that, the Canadian government is unlikey to evacuate you for free the next time the shooting starts again, so have a good emergency plan in place!
Who says I want to wait on the feds to evacuate me. As a Canadian I can take the fairy from Lebanon to Cyprus as I dont need a visa and been there fairly quickly (heck you can see Cyrprus from the mountains) and its like $150 a person. The port is a 15 min drive so not that hard to get to. Or If I really wanted I could take the fairy to Turkey and drive to anywhere in Europe from there granted that is a little more expensive and 17 hours or so. Already thought of that.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
that sounds awesome.

i am sure that could make a forum-ish case that a rational economic actor* would retire in london, ontario (or odense, denmark) instead, and that the olive trees and the date palms are just baubles, but life is not a spreadsheet.

(* when i grow up, i want to be....)
Well there is the almost no income taxes in the Middle East so that can be seen as an economic plus.
But really who cares at some point about economic factors. I know some here make it the be all and end all, but it is only part of the equation. People find what works for you and do it. Just make sure it makes sense that's all. You only live once.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Oh, Xelebes. Always with an axe to grind...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
what a spectacle that game was! it was not a good night to be albanian in belgrade (i have albanian friends who went, swiss and german passports in hand naturally).

austrians may have been put out, but import balkan people and become a bit more balkan yourself.

it can't all be fun dim sum in chinatown.
Maybe next time, flags of 'Greater Albania' and all the ethnic cleansing it represents will not fly above a stadium in the middle of Belgrade.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:24 PM
video et taceo

it was surely a bad and provocative move.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
it was surely a bad and provocative move.
It's like they don't learn over there.. Thank God my parents dipped and never looked back.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada