HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Sorry for the multiple posts, but there are so many different topics to discuss!

Regarding the MTC building that 1977 posted: I was reading about that yesterday and though it won't look all that different from the outside, their plans for the interior will make this a really nice work space. And there is the bonus of some additional retail along Beale and what could be a nice pedestrian path mid-block. It looks like the Harrison frontage will remain a large, imposing wall however.

On another topic, I was near Pier 27 yesterday and the America's Cup/Cruise terminal building is coming along. It looked to me like the steel framing is all in place and possibly the roof too. Shouldn't take long to add the glass walls and get the interior started. Much work to do where the fire was, however.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 6:28 AM

1400 Mission Street Low Income Highrise Redesign

I see at Socket Site, (http://www.socketsite.com/, August 9, 2012) that the low income housing building proposed for 1400 Mission Street have been redesigned. New plans now show a 15 story tower on 10th Street & a 10 story on Mission Street. Currently the site is being used by Crescent Heights to build at Market & 10th Streets for the construction of the market rate highrises. When completed the west block of 10th Street will be fully developed with high rise buildings by 2015 between Market St. & Mission St. The drawings are sketchy, but I do not expect too much desing for a low income building. I will not see much of it from my window due to the Crescent Heights development.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:43 AM
heavy user of walkability

quick shot from Foundry Square 3 from Saturday evening, looking east along Howard with other Foundries in the background:

... and a crane is going up at the 333 Fremont site (which I think would make it about the 26th in the City right now? ); looking south along Fremont

a better look at the happenings in the deep hole:

as seen in the previous photos, 333 Harrison progresses:

Last edited by timbad; Aug 13, 2012 at 3:59 AM. Reason: added third photo

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:51 AM

i am freaking tired of low rises such as foundry square ! why cant they go highrise? i mean its in the middle of SOMA ? ive always disliked the foundry projects they look like they belong in santa clara/silicon valley...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz131313 View Post
i am freaking tired of low rises such as foundry square ! why cant they go highrise? i mean its in the middle of SOMA ? ive always disliked the foundry projects they look like they belong in santa clara/silicon valley...
In reality low-rises among high-rises create visual drama that you wouldn't have if every freak'n building were a high-rise.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the updates, timbad. Lots of progress on all of those since I've been by them.

John King takes a look at some of the early concepts that may drive the Market St. redesign project, from the SF Chronicle:

Quote:

Market Street proposals focus on flow
S.F. Urban planning Innovative plans alter bike paths, streetcar stops
John King
Monday, August 13, 2012

In the most recent batch of design concepts for Market Street, planners say they want "a simplicity of place and movement" to define San Francisco's main drag.

One would add bike lanes like no bike lanes found in this country, separated paths forming a buffer between pedestrians and motor vehicles. The other would reduce the number of historic streetcar stops as part of an effort to improve the movement of transit on a street where 17 Muni lines meet.

The Department of Public Works has earmarked $42 million to repave the blocks between Van Ness and Steuart streets in 2016. That commitment serves as a prod to rethink elements of the brick-lined promenade, which was redesigned in the 1960s but never became the ceremonial joy that boosters predicted.

The planning concept is that the two central lanes of Market, one in each direction, would be reserved for streetcars and express buses. The distance between these stops would be no longer than what's now on lines along the Embarcadero, but the vehicles would be able to move more smoothly and swiftly. The outer lanes, meanwhile, would continue to serve bus lines that stop more often.

The idea would be to pull back sidewalks 8 feet to introduce "cycle tracks" - a paved path higher than the street but lower than the sidewalk. It's a separated band that hasn't been seen in the United States but is found in some European cities, and the feel would be much more inviting than the green striped bike lanes now found on some blocks.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The old Hibernia Bank at Jones and McAllister may be getting closer to a new life. Today, SocketSite gives us the scoop:

Quote:

Historic Hibernia Bank Building: Then, Now And As Newly Proposed
August 13, 2012
SocketSite

The vacant building was purchased for $3.9 million in 2008. And while the owners have "no tenant or particular use for the property" in mind, they now have a plan to renovate:

Proposed exterior work includes two new stair penthouses, replacement of the existing elevator penthouse, enlargement of three existing window openings for new exit doors at north and west elevations, removal of portion of the existing wrought iron gate at west elevation, and rehabilitation of existing windows, steel roll-up security grilles, and granite.

At the interior, new shear walls and an elevator will be installed, a fire suppression system will be installed, portions of the existing teller counter will be removed and stored on site, and character-defining features and materials such as the extensive decorative marble, plaster, and stained glass will be protected in place and cleaned and repaired only as necessary.
It would be nice if there was a specific proposed use, but at least they are taking care of it and perhaps they have something in the works but just aren't ready to go public with it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:10 PM
testify

one of the best parts of the better market street proposals is this one:

The report suggests raising the sunken spaces at Hallidie Plaza to "create a large new civic space for San Francisco."

i've been carping about that for years! this would be such a huge benefit to the entire area.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Definitely! That's such a mess today. I'm also interested in this concept:

Quote:
Market Street's sidewalk area would be divided into a 14-foot-wide "pedestrian throughway" along the buildings and a "streetlife zone" between 5 and 14 feet wide. The latter would include seating, street trees, bus shelters and a distinct paving system.
Walking along Market I've often noticed that somewhere around 10' or so of the sidewalk is underutilized space because it's filled with trees, poles, signage, etc so it's really difficult to walk through, yet there's not much else you can currently do in that area. It would be nice if that were designed from the beginning to be a space to stop and/or sit or go at a slower pace anyway and keep the rest of it for people on the move. I can envision a much more pleasant streetscape near the curb under that scenario, especially with a calmer roadway.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:30 PM

Just wondering, any news on either 222 Second Street, 45 Lansing or 201 Folsom? I believe that possibly all three were to break ground before the end of the year. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 PM

Double Your Pleasure - 55 Ninth St. and Trinity Place II

I walked across the street from 55 Ninth St. & got this unique picture (as the view will be gone forever in a few months). The hole in the ground is now about 1 story deep - the mound of dirt hides the hole in the picture. Today there are 2 machines digging dirt furiously.

As the site is about where the bay shore used to be, I wonder if any historical treasures will be unearthed?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:15 PM

Crescent Heights North - Jessie Street view from 9th Street

A view today, August 14th, from 9th Street & Jessie looking west. at the Crescent Heights North development. On the right is the former Mart II building, now Market Square. On the left side of Jessie Street is low income and senior housing. With construction on 9th & 10th Streets there is a lot of noise during the day & sometimes at night when I open my balcony door.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahran View Post
Just wondering, any news on either 222 Second Street, 45 Lansing or 201 Folsom? I believe that possibly all three were to break ground before the end of the year. Thanks!
I have no inside info, but checking SF Planning's property database, here's a status update:
  • No news on 222 Second St. It's looking more likely to begin in Q1 of 2013.
  • 45 Lansing is deep in the process of getting the construction permit approved. It's been winding its way through Planning since it was revived late last year. I would guess that it'll get approved in the next month or two, but it's been moving very slowly for some reason.
  • 201 Folsom just filed for its construction permit in July, so it's got further to go before construction can begin. They have a September deadline coming up, so it's not clear if they'll seek another extension, or if they'll get some sort of fast-track approval.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:21 AM

on the topic of crescent heights, it looks like in the last few days they finally got above ground with at least part of the middle building, which I believe will be the tallest.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
one of the best parts of the better market street proposals is this one:

The report suggests raising the sunken spaces at Hallidie Plaza to "create a large new civic space for San Francisco."

i've been carping about that for years! this would be such a huge benefit to the entire area.
YES!! i i think they should raise the lower BART entrance area and put in stadium seating and a large screen/tron to broadcast sporting events and other special telecast it would be like a mini times square ! there should be more electronic signage something vibrant ! but i can only dream lol im 16 btw and i love buildings and architecture!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 4:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding.

Steel for two of the three new floors has risen:

You can see some of the outward expansion here on the western side of the building:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 6:50 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz131313 View Post
YES!! i i think they should raise the lower BART entrance area and put in stadium seating and a large screen/tron to broadcast sporting events and other special telecast it would be like a mini times square ! there should be more electronic signage something vibrant ! but i can only dream lol im 16 btw and i love buildings and architecture!
yeah, since the plaza is hollowed out alread, one imagines that the grade-level covering will be more of a platform, with continued retail uses underground, could get kind of interesting, depending on how much money they feel is available.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 8:54 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding.

Steel for two of the three new floors has risen...
Wow..I didn't realize they were adding on any floors

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:24 AM

JBM - the middle structure will be the lowest for the Crescent Heights development, unless the plans have changed. You can view a picture of it here: http://sf.curbed.com/tags/crescent-heights

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 6:36 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding. ...
thanks pg - one of the nicest things about this project for me is that that corner of Third and Folsom will get opened up, maybe with a little plaza of some sort. it is so cramped now, especially with a Muni stop there. some breathing room would be welcome.

that together with the still-forming Moscone expansion plans for the garage next door have the potential for making that block (along Third) much more pleasant to walk along.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations