HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I've been saying forever, you get some residential or some big business in an office tower above, so everyone shops and gets food in the Square, the mall would be able to be useful.

The thing is, malls in the modern age are dead. The old idea of a mall is gone. You have to be creative with how you use the space if you want it to remain useful.
The mall is packed Monday to Friday 9 to 5 with business people getting food, clothes not so much.

With the thousands of employees from the City, CRA, TD, CIBC, and now HHS and MAC there is a good amount of foot traffic from the business class.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:46 PM

With all of the residential development happening, I don't think a winners/homesense/marshalls is out of the question for Jackson Square.

I can see brands like Lush, Davids Tea, The Body Shoppe, doing well in Jackson since they don't require a large space. The key thing is population and income. They will only open where the data supports it; the format of the store (mall, street storefront, etc) depends on the individual retailer, but usually they look at numbers first and decide on a location after.

Wait till the next census!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:47 PM

Also Canadian Tire @ Main/Victoria can't be expected to hang around forever. I can't see them constructing a new urban Canadian tire, so perhaps Jackson would work for them?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:50 PM

And at 501... sadly crickets. OK maybe a bit of exaggeration, but life needs to breathe through this place beyond the workday. Just another call out for residents.

Last edited by King&James; Oct 24, 2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Wait till the next census!
Indeed.

EcDev's 2011 Downtown Hamilton Profile used 2006 census data. That report found:

• 86% of downtown units are rentals
• 60% of downtown households are single-person
• 64% of downtown residents age 15+ earn under $20K a year
• 5% of downtown residents age 15+ earn over $60K a year
• 25% of downtown workers earn over $60K a year

Downtown being Barton to Hunter, Queen to Wellington, and containing just under a third of Ward 2's total population.

I would love to see a 2016 update.

Last edited by thistleclub; Oct 25, 2017 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:33 AM

Jackson Square is going to need some of it's tenants to leave and that mini section near the Sheraton to clean itself up before it can get even close to good. As long as there is a cowboy store, super low rent shoe stores, weird off brand Sanrio stores, Royal Oak Cafe etc. Also any store that has an outside entrance should be something that uses that outside entrance, there is zero reason why Urban Behaviour and Nygard need to be on the outside of the mall.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Also Canadian Tire @ Main/Victoria can't be expected to hang around forever. I can't see them constructing a new urban Canadian tire, so perhaps Jackson would work for them?
That is a weird one, I casually talked to a manager there once and they are something like the third Canadian Tire store to open so corporate lets them stay

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Indeed.

EcDev's 2011 Downtown Hamilton Profile used 2006 census data. That report found:

Downtown being Barton to Hunter, Queen to Wellington, and containing just under a third of Ward 2's total population.

This is unreal.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Indeed.

Yeah I have to think that between 2006 some of those stats have changed significantly. I know people used to claim Beasley was one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Canada, but I doubt that's true anymore. Certainly not rich though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:56 AM
Hammer'd

With the ridiculous increase in housing sales and prices in the downtown, there's no way those stats can be true any more.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:40 PM

My hunch is that the two most durable demographic trends would be the share of rentals & single-person households, as well as the best-paid downtown workers washing in and out of downtown out like a weekday tide.

Hopefully EcDev is hustling on this. Their time is arguably better spent updating granular, evidence-driven market research than commissioning another glib grab bag of motivational drone videos.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootaround View Post
Hello all.

Firstly, the City Centre. I was in the City Centre on Sunday and took a look for the new bowling alley, which is located right off the elevator exit. However, this was midday Sunday and they weren't open. I question their business savvy as it seems a bowling alley would do best on weekends.
I knew there was talk on this forum of a bowling alley but I didn't think it was actually built. They need some signage on James Street.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Jackson Square is going to need some of it's tenants to leave and that mini section near the Sheraton to clean itself up before it can get even close to good.
That section is actually owned and managed by Vrancor, who owns the hotel.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:59 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I knew there was talk on this forum of a bowling alley but I didn't think it was actually built. They need some signage on James Street.
I definitely agree. the only signage is right outside the alley and near the wayfinding sign near the Jackson Square exit/entrance.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:51 PM

Picture on a Tweet from Michael Marini of the new bowling alley in City Centre:
https://twitter.com/marinitweet/stat...87941973782531

And a Spec article from 2014: https://www.thespec.com/news-story/4...ming-downtown/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:54 PM
Hammer'd

Does the place not have a social media presence or did he just not tag them? That'd be a pretty bad way to start if its the former.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Does the place not have a social media presence or did he just not tag them? That'd be a pretty bad way to start if its the former.
Apparently the former, although why he could just hashtag it (likely didn't to avoid pointing out that he got scooped).

Marini also snubbed/flubbed the (largely dormant) Hamilton City Centre. Again, probably for strategic reasons.

For a refresher, check the similarly dormant HCC thread.

Last edited by thistleclub; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I don't think they do.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:03 PM

How does a business open with 0 online presence in 2017?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
How does a business open with 0 online presence in 2017?
"Why bother?" say 99.9% of all tenants in J Square and this building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues