HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I hope it will have a lighter color and feel such as in that gorgeous rendering. I LOVE it as shown. I'm pretty sure that residential buildings won't ever be as dark as the W, except in the odd case such as the Austonian where the design calls for it.
The majority of the W is residential. I don't mind this rendering, I like the seperation of the main tower from the pedestal using stilts, but other than that, its still basically nothing totally unique. We have quite a few rectangular boxes already.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:44 PM

That gosh durn parking podium looks as tall as the Milago!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:51 PM

Very nice and up to date. The old renders looked like the Bowie. Not a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:55 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
This project's rendering is not what it will end up looking like. Look how many of the tricks of the trade they're using: green covered parking (not gonna happen), bad lighting (to hide low quality glass), among others. And not to mention that the rendering is just bad quality altogether anyway. This does not inspire confidence in me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:42 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The majority of the W is residential.
How DARE you respond to my speculation about reality with facts about reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
This project's rendering is not what it will end up looking like. Look how many of the tricks of the trade they're using
Really? This is very disappointing. I'm dazzled by how it looks in the rendering, and I don't know how to reinterpret it into how it will actually manifest. What you say about green rooftops has thus far proven true in nearly every case, so I don't know why I got suckered in by that. Well, let's hope for the best. The developer certainly talks a good game with respect to trying to be all about Austin and the Rainey Street district rather than just imposing their brand on the place, so I take that as a positive signal.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 8:44 PM
Meh

I like the diagonal look, and I don't mind the glass. My gripe is the top. Where is the crown??? I would care less about a crown if this was an "interior skyline building" - something hidden within the pack, but this will be a waterfront building that will never have anything taller than it is between it and the water. I'd like to see more interesting tops along the water during the day and some more lighting at night to cast some reflections on the river.

I know not every building can or should have some fancy top, but many of our buildings so far don't really have any interesting tops. Basically so far I would really only count Frost Bank Tower, The Monarch, 360 and maybe 300 West Sixth as having interesting tops. The rest are mostly just flat roofs with mechanical penthouses boxes on them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 11:56 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 1:19 AM

Deleted because it was already posted.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:04 AM

I just got an invite to like the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRain...age_fan_invite

Which led me to find the web site:
http://www.70rainey.com/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:17 AM

A different rendering from their website

http://www.70rainey.com/wp-content/u...ll-705x705.jpg

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:03 AM

If the W and the Bowie had a baby...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:11 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the genral View Post
if the w and the bowie had a baby...
ikr!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:37 AM
Meh

Wow. Now that is nice. This one could turn out to be unique then.

Here's the bigger version from their Facebook page of the other rendering.

If the rendering is right, and is scaled properly, then I'd estimate this one is around 475 feet.

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRain...type=1&theater

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 5, 2015 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:53 AM

The SE corner of Downtown is going to look incredible with this one, the Fairmont, Waller Park Place, 99 Trinity...

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The SE corner of Downtown is going to look incredible with this one, the Fairmont, Waller Park Place, 99 Trinity...
This design is really nice. 48 East will be in this area eventually as well. I can't wait for official Waller Park Place renderings to be released! Out of all of these, I feel least confident about 99 Trinity. It just puzzles me why the project hasn't broken ground if financing has been in place for quite awhile. Do you think that one will come to fruition?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:12 AM
World Traveler

Man, to have a west-facing place in this one would be outstanding - looking right down the river complemented with great views of downtown. Sunsets would be an added bonus over the hills.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
This design is really nice. 48 East will be in this area eventually as well. I can't wait for official Waller Park Place renderings to be released! Out of all of these, I feel least confident about 99 Trinity. It just puzzles me why the project hasn't broken ground if financing has been in place for quite awhile. Do you think that one will come to fruition?
I'm more worried about 99 Trinity than the others simply because there have been no updates from the developer since the very positive initial announcement. They said they had financing lined up, and they had an approved and released site plan; then nothing for over a year, not even demolition or site prep. The one thing that is clear is that the project is going through a re-design because they pulled the site plan. Hopefully a redesign is the only issue.

Considering all of the projects built and in the pipeline since the recession ended, none of them have been cancelled or put on hold. That's saying quite a bit about the Austin market. Even ancient projects like Hotel Van Zandt and Aspen Heights for example, came back to life after the recession.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I'm more worried about 99 Trinity than the others simply because there have been no updates from the developer since the very positive initial announcement. They said they had financing lined up, and they had an approved and released site plan; then nothing for over a year, not even demolition or site prep. The one thing that is clear is that the project is going through a re-design because they pulled the site plan. Hopefully a redesign is the only issue.

Considering all of the projects built and in the pipeline since the recession ended, none of them have been cancelled or put on hold. That's saying quite a bit about the Austin market. Even ancient projects like Hotel Van Zandt and Aspen Heights for example, came back to life after the recession.
I don't think 99 Trinity ever had an approved site plan. I think they withdrew and resubmitted the site plan because they are close to having it finalized. Site plan review is limited to 180 days staff review time. If it is not completed in that time, the site plan application expires and you have to start the process over again, and go to the back of the queue. By withdrawing and resubmitting you can avoid some fees and not loose all of your previous review progress.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 7:43 PM
Honored Member

Damn, this is a sexy future place to live! That pool. I need to find a way to be at that pool. I'll clean someone's condo, anything.

I really like the separation between the garage and the tower. The city should require that they actually put all that greenery around the garage, it looks so nice in theory. The street interaction looks great. The contrast between the modern urban vibe of this, with the bungalows that house restaurants and bars, just makes Rainey even hipper. Hopefully that mix can be preserved for many decades. The city might have to do a special designation to preserve the neighborhood, and offer tax breaks for the bungalow owners who will otherwise feel a lot of financial pressure to sell to developer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Man, to have a west-facing place in this one would be outstanding - looking right down the river complemented with great views of downtown. Sunsets would be an added bonus over the hills.
That would be outstanding. I remember this rumored MACC project though:
http://downtownaustinblog.org/2009/1...reet-district/

They have that sizeable lot to the north that they could potentially build something on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin