HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 1:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Parry Sound isn't and shouldn't be part of Northern or Northeastern Ontario. But Nipissing should be.
I find that odd because I've heard people from Toronto and the GTA refer to that area as Northern Ontario.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:56 PM

I've heard people from the GTA refer to Haliburton as Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:05 AM
I am a typical

Ontario considers Muskoka and Parry Sound to be in Northern Ontario, but Northern Ontarians, for the most part, don't. North Bay is the border city between North and South.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I've heard people from the GTA refer to Haliburton as Northern Ontario.
(Some) people from the GTA consider anything north of the Severn River to be Northern Ontario

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:50 AM

Randy Hillier is apparently now on board the separation train...and he is an elected MPP...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
(Some) people from the GTA consider anything north of the Severn River to be Northern Ontario
...i think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone from the GTA that has even heard of the Severn river.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:30 AM

It may make sense for Northwestern Ontario, at least the parts in the Central Time Zone. Don't really see the point of a Province of Toronto or splitting up the Southern Ontario regions into three provinces though.

BTW, what do people consider the various regions of Ontario? I think I'm pretty much in agreement with the classifications on Wikipedia, except I'd place Hastings and Prince Edward counties in Eastern rather than Central Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ons_of_Ontario

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 9:45 PM
I am a typical

When I made the maps those articles used, I saw them placed in either central or southern Ontario depending on which source, which is why I coloured them green. (That was before I learned 10% of the male population is unable to distinguish the two colours and thus they shouldn't be used together on maps.)

They might be in Eastern Ontario culturally, but bureaucratically they're in Central Ontario. Similarly to Muskoka and Perry Sound, which are like Ontario's version of Bir Tawil in that the south says they're part of the north and the north say they're part of the south.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario considers Muskoka and Parry Sound to be in Northern Ontario, but Northern Ontarians, for the most part, don't. North Bay is the border city between North and South.
From Ottawa perspective it's most definitely North Bay where it begins.

I went to the Muskokas for the first time in my life last summer and took some southern route through Peterborough/Kawartha/Beaverton.

I remember seeing stores or signs for shops talking about entering Northern Ontario or North Country and thinking to myself.. wtf this is more south then Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibb View Post
From Ottawa perspective it's most definitely North Bay where it begins.

I went to the Muskokas for the first time in my life last summer and took some southern route through Peterborough/Kawartha/Beaverton.

I remember seeing stores or signs for shops talking about entering Northern Ontario or North Country and thinking to myself.. wtf this is more south then Ottawa.
The north is semi-interchangeable with the Shield in a few provinces.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 12:54 AM
I am a typical

Within Northern Ontario, there is the unnamed part where everyone lives (in NWO I've heard the terms 'borderland' and 'boundary waters' used a few times, I think NEO uses Rainbow Country or some shit) and then there is the Far North, which is the swampy areas located north of the shield. (World's largest wetland to which most Ontarians are oblivious.)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It may make sense for Northwestern Ontario, at least the parts in the Central Time Zone. Don't really see the point of a Province of Toronto or splitting up the Southern Ontario regions into three provinces though.

BTW, what do people consider the various regions of Ontario? I think I'm pretty much in agreement with the classifications on Wikipedia, except I'd place Hastings and Prince Edward counties in Eastern rather than Central Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ons_of_Ontario
Hastings and Prince Edward really could go either way. I've always thought of Bancroft as Central Ontario, but Belleville to me is Eastern Ontario.

There's an old sign on Highway 2 at the boundary between Lennox & Addington and Hastings, and it says you're entering the Central Ontario Travel Area going westbound.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 4:41 AM

Because Bancroft is more "rustic" than "quaint colonial"?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:16 AM

When I lived downtown Toronto, Northern Ontario started at the 407

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Because Bancroft is more "rustic" than "quaint colonial"?
Pretty much. The whole Bancroft area is incredibly rugged and very sparsely populated. By comparison the Lake Ontario shoreline is well built up.

The Opeongo Hills region--the highlands extending from Haliburton eastwards to about Dacre--is very out of place in Southern Ontario. Its population density is extremely low (about 1-2 people per square kilometre), and the terrain is quite hilly and rugged. Its uniqueness definitely separates it from the rest of the region.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:15 AM

Except I'm not sure if "ruggedness" is what separates Eastern and Central Ontario. Renfrew is pretty "rugged" as well.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
To be fair, anything north of the Severn River is Canadian Shield, as are Haliburton and Bancroft. In terms of landscape and population density they have far more in common with the north than the south. Going from the farmland of the Kawarthas to the Shield of Haliburton is like night and day. That being said, being cottage country gives that area pretty close ties to the south.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:31 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
To be fair, anything north of the Severn River is Canadian Shield
To be fair, no.

The Canadian Shield is tastefully outlined on this map in a lovely Bavarian mustard colour:

The Hudson Bay Lowlands aren't Canadian Shield. They're the world's largest wetland, soil so mushy that many who live and work there wear snowshoes in summer to avoid sinking into the mud. We refer to that area as "The Far North".

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
When I lived downtown Toronto, Northern Ontario started at the 407
When I was in London, Northern Ontario started in Stratford and Eastern Ontario started at the DVP.

I don't agree with the Wiki components of what makes up SW Ontario as it includes Waterloo and even Wellington Counties. It also has a section for Central Ontario which as far as I'm concerned, no longer exists,

Once many areas made up the Golden Horseshoe but now those areas are, or have already been, completely absorbed by Toronto. When you have commuter trains beginning to run all day then you have become more of a bedroom community than anything else. It may still have it's own unique lifestyle, architecture, and culture but it is increasingly seen as an outer suburb more than a truly independent city.

Basically there is now the North, East, SouthWest, and Greater Toronto which stretches from Fort Erie to Barrie, Kitchener to Newcastle, and Brantford to Peterborough.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
To be fair, no.

The Canadian Shield is tastefully outlined on this map in a lovely Bavarian mustard colour:

The Hudson Bay Lowlands aren't Canadian Shield. They're the world's largest wetland, soil so mushy that many who live and work there wear snowshoes in summer to avoid sinking into the mud. We refer to that area as "The Far North".
Okay fine, not every square kilometre of the earth north of the Severn is Canadian Shield. You got me. You're a regular Harvey Specter, you are.

As long as we're talking semantics, that map isn't very accurate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario