HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:23 PM

A tour is not something the national news would ever pick up on regardless of the safety of any city. And "all over the city" is in a way incorrect.

In other news, 5139 N Broadway (just south of Foster) received a permit for a new 4 story building with 36 units and offices. This includes the building just south at 5137 N Broadway too:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...!4d-87.6598672

Last edited by marothisu; Jun 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 5:22 PM

536 N LaSalle

June 13

June 14

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 6:54 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A tour is not something the national news would ever pick up on regardless of the safety of any city. And "all over the city" is in a way incorrect.

Yeah, I guess we can just ignore the recent shooting on the River Walk, the stabbing at North Avenue beach(ran by that crime scene an hour after it happened), and then the shooting in front of the Legacy/University Club of Chicago that I was less than a block away from when it happened. This is all within the last week. Rahm needs to get this shit under control, or else the jokes about Chicago being violent aren't going to just be ignorant comments misplacing South/West side violence to the city.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 7:00 PM

Permits were issued for renovating the exterior of 678 N Wells, where a CVS will be one of the tennants. Below is a rendering from last year of the proposed facade. Nothing big, but CVS being one of the tennants shows how much this area of Wells St is changing.

Source: Chicago Curbed

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
The national media isn't going to focus on a boat tour when violence is spiraling out of control and people are getting shot all over the city.
Your take on his comment is far too serious. I am sure he meant it tongue in cheek -- in jest/a bit of hyperbole. But the general thrust of his point was very valid.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah, I guess we can just ignore the recent shooting on the River Walk, the stabbing at North Avenue beach(ran by that crime scene an hour after it happened), and then the shooting in front of the Legacy/University Club of Chicago that I was less than a block away from when it happened. This is all within the last week. Rahm needs to get this shit under control, or else the jokes about Chicago being violent aren't going to just be ignorant comments misplacing South/West side violence to the city.
I interpreted the original comment more as a "happening all the time in every corner of the city" even if it wasn't specifically said. There are only 8 of 77 community areas of the city that haven't had a single shooting yet this year (Forest Glen, North Park, Norwood Park, Edison Park, O'Hare, Clearing, Mount Greenwood, and Hegewisch). Unfortunately those things happened. Violence is never the answer and unfortunate/bad wherever it happens. At the same time though, guaranteed these things will be shown to be isolated incidents especially when you look back on it in a few months. Now, if it actually starts happening a lot, and at least once a week then totally a cause for concern.

Also even more unfortunate is the fact that this stuff happens from time to time in more tourist areas every once in awhile in a lot of major US cities. For example, the shooting in broad daylight near Penn Station/Times Square in 2015 (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2427909), the shooting of a young woman that same year on a crowded pier area in San Francisco (http://abcnews.go.com/US/san-francis...ry?id=32210463), or shootings on Hollywood Blvd in LA (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...208-story.html), or the shooting a few weekends ago in South Beach right near a lot of tourists on a very busy weekend (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...153215459.html). Or stuff like this that was written about in the NYT a few weeks ago (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/28/n...s.html?mcubz=1). It's extremely unfortunate that happens, and not to minimize what happened in Chicago but it does happen in other cities as sad as that is to even have to point out. Unless you live in those cities, you hardly ever hear about them even when they happen in touristy areas.

Anyway, we can agree that Rahm has to get his shit together regarding this recent uptick. But at the same time we can agree that solving a decades long problem in the city isn't going to happen overnight or in a few months. The tribune wrote an excellent article last year on the uptick. The reason is very easy to understand, which nobody seems to want to talk about in part because the FBI and CPD kind of miscalculated a few things which ended up really bad especially considering the crime rates were at a decades long low in the few years before last.

Also, it's too bad the national media doesn't want to pick up on stuff like how Chicago is going to pump something like $100M in investment into areas like Englewood and Auburn Gresham so the residents could get better things like job training and better jobs for them in those areas, thanks to Kurt Summers. That could actually have a major impact for good regarding violence in those areas.

Last edited by marothisu; Jun 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 9:19 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Permits were issued for renovating the exterior of 678 N Wells, where a CVS will be one of the tennants. Below is a rendering from last year of the proposed facade. Nothing big, but CVS being one of the tennants shows how much this area of Wells St is changing.
Turned into this:

Also what they are unfortunately planning for 808 Wells:

Another stupid loss for nothing

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 9:49 PM
THAT Guy

160 N Morgan - 3 story retail building replacing the drive-thru bank

Apparently Dean & Deluca is opening a location near the new Ace Hotel too.

Last edited by spyguy; Jun 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

This was the site of the planned tower, but then the owner or something of that company died, right? That sucks - considering they knocked down some buildings north of the existing sales center building for this and now it's not happening huh?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 10:14 PM
The City

^ What a loss considering what it's zoned for

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 1:22 AM

676 N Kingsbury - THe Ronsley

June 3

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:55 AM
Development Shill

I guess you are correct. You pointed out the FBI and CPD miscalculations, but I also wonder how much of the increase in crime has to do with the CPD changing their policing styles after the last couple years with BLM protesting controversial deaths.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
May 31, 2017

I did a search on this address and ran across what appears to be a class assignment for a couple of graduate students at the University of Michigan. It was an interesting read -> Link
I'm not a planner, but this seemed extremely well thought out and a great model for creative and profitable mixed use development. With everything going on, it's easy to shrug and say "oh well," but seeing this plan makes it seem like a shame that 1133 was demolished instead of being refurbished.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I guess you are correct. You pointed out the FBI and CPD miscalculations, but I also wonder how much of the increase in crime has to do with the CPD changing their policing styles after the last couple years with BLM protesting controversial deaths.
The FBI/CPD breaking up a few of those gangs in the wrong way is the main reason why the amount of homicide increased by a ton since 2015. The policing style after stuff like LaQuan McDonald was a minor part of it, but not nearly as major as the other thing.

What kind of makes me laugh is this sentiment in the media that the only crime that affects peoples' daily lives is homicide. If people actually realized the real rates for crimes that affect most peoples' daily lives, they'd see that things aren't what they seem like how San Francisco and Chicago have similar assault rates while Houston is higher than both, or that Seattle has something like 2X the burglary rate of Chicago.

An area may Lakeview may hardly ever record a homicide, but there might be a (small) chance that you could be assaulted or something bad too. I'd guarantee that most people who live in Lakeview hardly ever think about getting shot and/or killed, but they probably do understand they could still be the victim of an assault or robbery (still low odds, but you get my point). It affects their lives way more.

The funny thing is that the rates for pretty much every other type BUT homicide are lower than even 6 or 7 years ago. There's been 8204 reported assaults in the city through 6/9 of this year yet in 2010 that number was 9494 through the same date range (13.6% decrease). For robbery this year through those same dates, it's 4703 incidents yet for 2010 it was 5637 incidents (16.6% decrease). The homicide is again very unfortunate, but the fact that even compared to 2010, the rate of incidence for pretty much every crime type in the city is lower is not reported on.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 6:04 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The FBI/CPD breaking up a few of those gangs in the wrong way is the main reason why the amount of homicide increased by a ton since 2015. The policing style after stuff like LaQuan McDonald was a minor part of it, but not nearly as major as the other thing.

What kind of makes me laugh is this sentiment in the media that the only crime that affects peoples' daily lives is homicide. If people actually realized the real rates for crimes that affect most peoples' daily lives, they'd see that things aren't what they seem like how San Francisco and Chicago have similar assault rates while Houston is higher than both, or that Seattle has something like 2X the burglary rate of Chicago.

An area may Lakeview may hardly ever record a homicide, but there might be a (small) chance that you could be assaulted or something bad too. I'd guarantee that most people who live in Lakeview hardly ever think about getting shot and/or killed, but they probably do understand they could still be the victim of an assault or robbery (still low odds, but you get my point). It affects their lives way more.

The funny thing is that the rates for pretty much every other type BUT homicide are lower than even 6 or 7 years ago. There's been 8204 reported assaults in the city through 6/9 of this year yet in 2010 that number was 9494 through the same date range (13.6% decrease). For robbery this year through those same dates, it's 4703 incidents yet for 2010 it was 5637 incidents (16.6% decrease). The homicide is again very unfortunate, but the fact that even compared to 2010, the rate of incidence for pretty much every crime type in the city is lower is not reported on.
True, this is one of the things that bother me the most these days. We have so many people mocking this city, and yet the only reason no one wants to talk about other cities is because it doesn't fit the narrative that the news likes, which is that if it bleeds it leads. Chicago happens to have more people than almost any other city in the US, and is one of the most densely populated on top of that meaning that the raw numbers(though rates as you pointed out aren't) will obviously be higher. Republicans love talking about Chicago because they can make fun of our strict gun laws yet high murder rate, and the left likes to rip on Chicago because they think the city is full of killer cops and racist politicians. It's really the perfect shit storm that other cities can't achieve.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:57 PM

Belgravia strikes first in the north side industrial corridor by planning for 340 units (90 condo, 250 apartments) just west of the Mariano's.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...16-column.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 2:32 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

That's just pathetic.

Personally, what I'd like that to be is a boutique office building of the scale of some of the ones going up in the West Loop, targeted toward tech firms, increasing the residential/commercial mix in the area. I guess the one good thing about not building anything of much value there is that in the next big boom, a developer could buy it and turn it into something bigger fairly easily.

If this is going to be a 1-story tax-payer type project, it'd be nice to have a grocery store there - perhaps a Bockwinkles. I think the area could support one now. If they built a re-inforced roof, they could even put parking on top.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 3:34 PM

McDs

June 12

June 14

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Personally, what I'd like that to be is a boutique office building of the scale of some of the ones going up in the West Loop, targeted toward tech firms, increasing the residential/commercial mix in the area. I guess the one good thing about not building anything of much value there is that in the next big boom, a developer could buy it and turn it into something bigger fairly easily.

in other words, they could have just rehabbed the existing historic loft-esque building that was already on this site rather than demolishing it for no reason whatsoever

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development