HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
nice! reminds me of a better, improved version of a recently-opened addition to the universidad de buenos aires:

luli pop/ssc
Off topic here but it looks like you captured a ghost in that Argentina pic

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:53 PM
Ascension

Some news from my neck of the woods.

From Curbed:

Quote:
The Culver Plaza complex on Washington Blvd. is headed for the wrecking ball (it was supposed to be demolished this past weekend, but we hear it was still there this morning) and don't fret, the giant, colorful "Syncopation" mural by Ed Massey has been taken out and moved to the Playa Vista educational facility, according to a press release. But what's up with the demolition? The property, which incidentally is not quite in Culver City, belongs to development/management company NMS Properties, which has been on a tear across the Westside the last few years (they're behind the Santa Monica SCI-Arc killer, the La Cienega nudie bar-adjacent apartments [Luxe@375], and the SaMo Quonset Hut project [Luxe@Broadway]). They'll be bringing yet another "Luxe" to the area, according to their website: 9901 Luxe.

NMS didn't return a call, but according to a public notice for an upcoming zoning hearing on the project, they're planning to build a six-story tall apartment building with 131 units (11 of which would be reserved for "very low income" tenants). The building would also have 12,027 square feet of groundfloor commercial and 253 parking spaces in one level of groundfloor parking and an existing three levels of underground parking. The notice says that "The applicant seeks to allow flexibility for potential commercial space tenants so that a 100% restaurant use scenario may be possible." NMS is also hoping to have less parking for the restaurants than would otherwise be required (one space per 250 square feet rather than one per 100 sf).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:44 AM

LA Dept. of City Planning has posted the Draft Environmental Impact Report for the East Hollywood Target planned for Sunset/Western. Yeah its a big box store, but its wrapped in retail and its far preferable to what's there now: a desolate strip mall with a Fallas Paredes and an vacant grocery store.

I'd probably be even more excited about this project if it weren't for the fact that we're due to get our own "City Target" downtown that will open later this year.

LA DCP

LA DCP

LA DCP

And what's currently there:

Google Maps

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 4:01 AM
BANNED

I had no clue East Hollywood was getting a Target! thats a great location for a target. gonna clean up some of that easy hollywood grime and its a working class area that could use a target.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:32 AM

fantastic. such an improvement compared to the utter crap that is there now. slowly but surely...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 4:13 PM
Ascension

I went down there yesterday on my way to Silverlake and I said to my friend that this Fallas needs to be torn down. This is needed to turn that area around. Awesome stuff.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Agree that this is good; its was proposed some years ago and it looks like the size has been reduced from the original plan.

The current look is more Southern California. Some of the "urban" big boxes we see are appropriate for places like DC or NY with miserable climates, but not right for areas where the outdoors is a place to live in, not a place to avoid.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:09 AM
Paramoderator

This is really great. And note, ladies and gents, no billboards!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:35 AM

Cool, a new Target in East Hollywood...

...bookended by a new Walgreens in West Hollywood on Santa Monica and Crescent Heights!

From LA Curbed:
LOHA-Designed WeHo Walgreens Project Approved

More pics in the link/article.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Cool, a new Target in East Hollywood...

...bookended by a new Walgreens in West Hollywood on Santa Monica and Crescent Heights!

From LA Curbed:
LOHA-Designed WeHo Walgreens Project Approved

More pics in the link/article.
Very nice; WeHo is now adopting an urban look with higher density and usable spaces, but without the oppressive "wall to the sidewalk" look of older cities. The kind of look that should be in most parts of LA except DT proper.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:29 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Very nice; WeHo is now adopting an urban look with higher density and usable spaces, but without the oppressive "wall to the sidewalk" look of older cities. The kind of look that should be in most parts of LA except DT proper.
But I love that love that wall to sidewalk look....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
But I love that love that wall to sidewalk look....
I like it too in moderate quantities. But even in NY, avenues like Park, 5th and Madison have setbacks and occasional plazas, etc. Smaller streets have steps and stoops, pocket parks, churches, etc., creating breathing space. This actually characerizes famous districts like the Village and Gramercy Park and Brooklyn Heights, for that matter.

European cities are famous for parks, squares, plazas, roundabouts, etc.

Much of Wilshire has the right idea for LA as a whole: medium or high-rise, but access to space and sunlight.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:41 PM

The Vermont

Wilshire Center's Facebook page gives a few details on the upcoming and long-awaited project at Wilshire/Vermont.

Quote:
Yesterday the J.h Snyder Co. gave an overview of the 11,860 sq. ft. open space design for the The Vermont project at Wilshire and Vermont. The developer will be pulling the building permit on April 2nd and a ground breaking event should follow shortly after.

The 491,000 sq.-ft. project includes two towers, 464 apartments, a 11,860 sq. ft. public open space, 27,000 square feet of retail space, and 14,000 square feet of restaurant space. The developer has agreed to partner with community non-profit organizations to build 96 affordable-housing units in projects around the area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:51 PM
Ascension

Man...is LA seeing a secondary boom? Really exciting times right now.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:17 PM

nm

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 8:19 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Man...is LA seeing a secondary boom? Really exciting times right now.
I think it is still just remnants from the last boom, but its still exciting nonetheless.

Also, I'd love to see the new design for the building, the one that takes into consideration all the criticism that the last design got.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Also, I'd love to see the new design for the building, the one that takes into consideration all the criticism that the last design got.
Is that a new rendering?

ENHANCE!

Ok, not so enhanced. Hopefully they release updated renderings soon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:21 AM
Paramoderator

That looks like a new rendering to me. Or at least a new angle. Can't really make anything else out besides that.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:
That looks like a new rendering to me. Or at least a new angle. Can't really make anything else out besides that.
Yeah...if the right side of the image is indeed Vermont (hard to get a bearing without a frame of reference), then the Vermont side of the building looks a lot more transparent than in the previous rendering. Maybe they took the criticism about the blank walls to heart!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:24 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Wilshire Center's Facebook page gives a few details on the upcoming and long-awaited project at Wilshire/Vermont.

Looking at the site plan on the Facebook site, it looks like they kept the little driveway thing. Not the best, but the tower is set back on that part so that the driveway doesn't interfere with sidewalk widths or anything. And speaking of sidewalks... There seems to be a strange thing going on with the sidewalk for this project. Is it winding? I can't really tell. Trees seem to be scattered haphazardly through it, and I see little 'artistically' jagged patches of grass. Not sure what is going on there.... I think we really need clear renders for this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations