HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The crime at the other two HEB locations you mentioned is not part of this discussion. They are too far away to be a part of any decision to open a location at either One Two East or Plaza Saltillo.
No, but the point is HEB on Congress and Oltorf is NOT going anywhere and to even assume that they would close it just to open a store at either of those locations is just ridiculous.

I can be pretty damn snarky too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
No, but the point is HEB on Congress and Oltorf is NOT going anywhere and to even assume that they would close it just to open a store at either of those locations is just ridiculous.

I can be pretty damn snarky too.
I didn't realize that any damn snarkiness was a part of this discussion.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:37 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I didn't realize that any damn snarkiness was a part of this discussion.
Your response was snarky and lest we not forget you were the one that brought up the HEB on Oltorf @ Congress and the crime. I simply said that it was not going to close and I stated examples of other HEBs with similar crime issues. Then you just brush me off saying none of that has anything to do with this discussion. If that's the case then your comment about the HEB on Oltorf had nothing to do with this discussion either...

If HEB opens a grocery store at Saltillo then that would be great and if they or another chain open a store at Eleven Twelve then that would be fine as well. They won't close any stores to do it.

I will admit I was in a bad mood lastnight and for my part I'll apologize for my brashness but your response did come off snarky and in a condescending way.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Any rumors about which grocery store will go in there?
This source is quoting a 55,000 sq. ft. grocery store. This would seem to put it in the medium-sized category if using the sizes of DT Whole Foods and Trader Joe's as reference points. The nearest HEB would probably be the one at 7th/Pleasant Valley, not a terrible one but nothing unique about it either. When was the last time HEB closed or moved a store in Austin? They seem very static, even in regards to upgrades.

http://austintowers.net/plaza-saltil...am-to-reality/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:10 PM

According to this, the Plaza Saltillo phase should be finished by February:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...s-trans/npwFf/

From the Article:
Project update: Crews have replaced all 2.5 miles of lighter grade rail. Capital Metro is in final design for sidings, bridges and other track changes, and has awarded contract for train car upgrades. Plaza Saltillo: Workers have completed grading and base, and have begun track installation on site route

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 7:56 PM

The relocated track is open and the parallel set of track is being installed now.

Once the track relocation is completed site prep can begin. Since the old track ran right through the middle of the site.

This is what's left of the original tracks.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The relocated track is open and the parallel set of track is being installed now.
Thanks for the update. The pictures are great!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 10:53 PM

Plaza Saltillo workers want living wages:

http://www.burntorangereport.com/dia...lo-development

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 10:09 AM

Community Impact has a nice article about this.

Article: http://communityimpact.com/austin/ci...avor-march-21/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 9:33 PM

Are any of the buildings under construction yet?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
Are any of the buildings under construction yet?
Not yet. An Austin Monitor article from this morning states that the project is still going through the city planning process and will probably won't make it to council until August or September. The article also states that the project is expected to be completed in 2018. If that's the case, I would expect to see construction begin pretty quickly following a green light from the city council.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Not yet. An Austin Monitor article from this morning states that the project is still going through the city planning process and will probably won't make it to council until August or September. The article also states that the project is expected to be completed in 2018. If that's the case, I would expect to see construction begin pretty quickly following a green light from the city council.
Adding: Council vote is required because the project requires zoning variances due to height restrictions

The new parallel train tracks seem to be in place.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This source is quoting a 55,000 sq. ft. grocery store. This would seem to put it in the medium-sized category if using the sizes of DT Whole Foods and Trader Joe's as reference points. The nearest HEB would probably be the one at 7th/Pleasant Valley, not a terrible one but nothing unique about it either. When was the last time HEB closed or moved a store in Austin? They seem very static, even in regards to upgrades.

http://austintowers.net/plaza-saltil...am-to-reality/
I can't remember an HEB ever closing, to be honest. Now, what one of these two sites really needs is either a Target, or a Home Depot/Lowes. As a downtown resident I can safely say that that's what the area is really lacking in terms of essential retail.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:10 PM
World Traveler

Is there such a thing as an urban version of Home Depot/Lowes? I agree that most urban areas in the south lack a decent hardware store, but most hardware store models in this region are suburban (i.e., massive parking lots, contractor entrances, etc.) - makes sense when that's where most of the business is, but as more folks move downtown and own their flats over time, they may want to have an option closer in.

I've heard of an urban Target concept...probably on this site. Not sure if they exist or not, but it's been discussed if I'm remembering correctly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Is there such a thing as an urban version of Home Depot/Lowes? I agree that most urban areas in the south lack a decent hardware store, but most hardware store models in this region are suburban (i.e., massive parking lots, contractor entrances, etc.) - makes sense when that's where most of the business is, but as more folks move downtown and own their flats over time, they may want to have an option closer in.

I've heard of an urban Target concept...probably on this site. Not sure if they exist or not, but it's been discussed if I'm remembering correctly.
In Indianapolis, we had an TrueValue store downtown. It sits on the first floor of a 3-story office building with an urban grocery next door.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:

Well it might not be the perfect example since NYC is no comparison to Austin, but there's an amazing looking home depot there. But even something like a Breed & Co would be nice to have in DT/East Austin

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:

There sure is.. it's not American, but in Vancouver they've got a Home Depot with other retail AND residential components! http://bit.ly/29RtSI7

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:15 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
There sure is.. it's not American, but in Vancouver they've got a Home Depot with other retail AND residential components! http://bit.ly/29RtSI7
City two story Target in pittsburgh:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...247189!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:19 PM
World Traveler

^ That was easily the greatest response I've had to a question on here. You guys are awesome.

That said, it'd be great to see some of those ideas utilized in Austin. The Home Depot may not be great since the market probably isn't big enough downtown. A smaller True Value concept like the one in Indianapolis could be great.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
^ That was easily the greatest response I've had to a question on here. You guys are awesome.

That said, it'd be great to see some of those ideas utilized in Austin. The Home Depot may not be great since the market probably isn't big enough downtown. A smaller True Value concept like the one in Indianapolis could be great.
I agree about a Home Depot-type store. Although, besides the Breed & Co in west campus, the closest Hardware stores are Mueller, and 290/71.

I suppose all I'm saying is that it'd be nice to have a store to buy general stuff at, that you can't get an an HEB, without driving 20 minutes. Even a true value type would be awesome. I think with the rising DT residential numbers, it could definitely work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin