HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:27 PM

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...06301138173240

And with the infill, Japanese Maples being planted along State...WIN.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:32 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...06301138173240

And with the infill, Japanese Maples being planted along State...WIN.
I'm with you on the street trees. Boise's Dept. of Community Forestry, was formerly known as Dept. of Urban Foresty which was a much hipper name imo, don't know why they changed it, but getting off topic already. Anyway they're probably the lowest department on the funding totem poll even though we like to pride ourselves as being the City of Trees. Note: An inside source, who will remain unnamed of course, claimed Parks and Rec would prefer NOT to care for street trees and turf grass like on Harrison. It's a huge hit to their budget and they'd like to stick to real parks.

Observations: Trees are required to be planted in many new developments. However, what happens when they die or get removed due to unforeseen utility work? For example:

1) New office on the west side of 27th between Bannock and Jefferson in 2005 or so planted their required trees. Unfortunately they were removed a few years later due to some kind of leaking pipe problem, they were never replanted. Bummer.

2) Whitewater Parkway. I think I counted 6 or 8 trees have died in the median and curb strips. It's not unexpected, survival rate is not 100%. They've been removed but not replanted. Maybe they're waiting until fall?

3) St Mary's Crossing office's trees have done very well. A+++ would recommend. On two occasions one got run down by a car but they were promptly replanted. Good job to whomever is taking care of that curb strip.

4) A+++ for the all the new Silva Cell trees downtown, but these were facilitated by CCDC funding.

5) Winco downtown: I'm pretty sure some required parking lot trees have died and not been replanted. Can't prove this, don't have before and after pics or pics of trees being cut down, but I swear some are missing.

6) State Capitol: Dying trees on Jefferson and State, although apparently it was an accidental herbicide spraying.

There are definitely tough issues. Our clay soil, the need for permanent irrigation and bureaucratic stuff like ACHD owns the right of way but Boise City owns the trees yet homeowners are responsible for watering them...

Want Free Trees?

City of Boise NeighborWoods Program

Idaho Power Shade Tree Program

Community Forestry: Buy outright or apply for Releaf Boise Arbor Day Program

Jefferson in front of Statehouse:

Last edited by boisecynic; Aug 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthEnder View Post
Don't apologize for your photos. I really appreciate them and those posted by others, too.
I agree and also very much appreciate them. I bet Sawtooth has a cult following on this forum including people who aren't members and only come here to look.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
So ridiculous to install "art" that is just rusty metal shards that are supposed to represent cottonwood trees. I know it's a wild idea, but maybe..just....plant a tree.
The renderings show about 12 new trees being planted in the plaza area facing N Capitol... in addition to the Cottonwoods sculpture around the water feature. I like the variety....

Keep the pictures rolling Sawtooth.... you've really been covering all the bases recently!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:36 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
So ridiculous to install "art" that is just rusty metal shards that are supposed to represent cottonwood trees. I know it's a wild idea, but maybe..just....plant a tree.
Once upon a time, I was an active poster and then I went lurker status. This "person" made me re-enter into the light. V, just because you do not think something is art does not negate its artistic value.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansadidas View Post
Once upon a time, I was an active poster and then I went lurker status. This "person" made me re-enter into the light. V, just because you do not think something is art does not negate its artistic value.
When I can't tell whether it's an art project or the twisted wreckage after 9/11, it makes me question it's artistic merit. I don't care whether "you" like it or not, it was my opinion, and I hereby dub it's unofficial name as "Ground Zero".

San Jose has some "art" that has been dubbed "The San Jose Turd" and cost the city over $500,000. Just because someone declares something art and then another person pays for it doesn't automatically qualify it as being any good. I merely questioned that designation, especially when the living embodiment of the subject matter could have been used instead. http://www.sanjose.com/underbelly/un...zy/quetzy.html

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:01 PM

Pioneer Crossing Vid

Nice video of the Pioneer Crossing construction from PM Productions Vimeo page.....

https://vimeo.com/227327047

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:30 PM

Hopefully none of those Cottonwoods pollinate and spread their fluffy cotton around the new plaza.

oh Meridian:
http://www.mymeridianpress.com/news/...d26bc0dec.html

Developer eyes Locust Grove, Pine Avenue for over 500-lot, mixed-use development
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...d5db.image.jpg

Last edited by Cottonwood; Aug 2, 2017 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:42 PM

I feel that public art installations are vital to the healthy development and vibrancy of the city, even if the aesthetic may not always agree with me personally. However, I particularly like the new cottonwoods installation at city hall. Turned out great!

Thanks for the pics Sawtooth

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:13 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Ah, the old 1 submission user complaining about a reasonable critique.

Just because someone calls it art does not mean it's so. I think it's ugly. Someone in my car who was completely unaware of it called it ugly as we drove by. MY gf called it ugly.

Poll results so far: Ugly--4, fine with it--2.

Last edited by boisecynic; Aug 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:32 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Thanks for the support and comments! I enjoy sharing photos here and it's nice to know others appreciate them because it takes a few minutes of time and effort to post my photos.

People will aways have strong opinions about art and I am liking this new public art and am excited to see the finished product and the new plaza.

CTY Studio has also been involved with other public art pieces around downtown including the China Town binoculars and the Heliotrope and Urquides Village.

If anyone from the studio lurks here, I want to thank you for adding to downtowns artistic visual appeal.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Aug 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Ah, the old 1 submission user complaining about a reasonable critique.

Just because someone calls it art does not mean it's so. I think it's ugly. Someone in my car who was completely unaware of it called it ugly as we drove by. MY gf called it ugly.

Poll results so far: Ugly--4, fine with it--2.
Put me down as fine with it.

Everyone has what they like and don't, and that's just dandy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
Everyone has what they like and don't, and that's just dandy.
Agreed on taste -- it'll always be subjective. I'd still maintain that it's silly to suggest planting a tree instead of a sculpture when we're already going to get at least 12 new trees anyways.... it isn't like there aren't natural cottonwood groves a 10 minute walk away either.

Having now seen the Cottonwoods in person a couple times I rather dig them.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Nah, it's just ugly. As taxpayers who in part paid for it, we have every right to voice that opinion.

Last edited by jackster99; Aug 4, 2017 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:45 PM

Let's move on please. There is no need to single out Vansadidas. There are others who have responded that they like the art and none of them have been quoted and disagreed with.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:37 PM

Update from 5th

ebay image host

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:43 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jard View Post
Update from 5th

ebay image host

doesn't even seem like part of Boise, does it.

just about everything in that photo didn't exist 10 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
doesn't even seem like part of Boise, does it.

just about everything in that photo didn't exist 10 years ago.
You said it. Thanks for sharing that rad new angle.

I've been using that new pathway into Ann Morrison when coming from the Bench to get to the east side of downtown. Super convenient. Can't wait for Fowler to wrap up, the new LIV streetscaping to be in place.... and Form & Function coffee to open up there!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 11:47 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Wow, a blast from the past. Good to see you post again jard
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 11:55 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Art in progress on the west wall of the WaterCooler Apartments.

Looks like this new live/work apartment building already has it going on.

Last Saturday nights sunset
working the lens on zoooooom

Last edited by Sawtooth; Aug 6, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West