HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:44 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

For what it's worth;

This place, 825 N 12th has been sitting like that for over a year. Or is it 2 years? Same deal with the proposed coffee shop, The Sturiale Place, at 1501 W Jefferson behind Rite Aid.

All I ask is why?

Property taxes and permit details:

$2600/year for the Jefferson property and PDS is showing a couple of code violations, not sure what the hold up is.

$0/year for the 12th St property which is listed as inactive. PDS does show recent electrical work, but at this rate it will be run down again before it's ever made livable.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 11:18 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Nice angles on the new and old Fowler shots, Sawtooth. That building is massive... for Boise apt building standards that is. Most of our big buildings, even new ones like Zions Bank don't cover an entire block face like the Fowler.

Am I imagining it or wasn't Local Construct planning to put something similar up across 5th st? What was that building going to be called?

I'm excited to see how Central Addition turns out, with that cool curbless streetscaping and new pedestrian entrance to Julia Davis, so cool.

Stoked to see the Treefort banners up to! 9 more days!

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks and you are welcome trails
I'm hoping the warm weather continues into next weekend for Treefort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
For what it's worth;

This place, 825 N 12th has been sitting like that for over a year. Or is it 2 years? Same deal with the proposed coffee shop, The Sturiale Place, at 1501 W Jefferson behind Rite Aid.

All I ask is why?

Property taxes and permit details:

$2600/year for the Jefferson property and PDS is showing a couple of code violations, not sure what the hold up is.

$0/year for the 12th St property which is listed as inactive. PDS does show recent electrical work, but at this rate it will be run down again before it's ever made livable.
It has been sitting elevated for a while but recently I have noticed more going on with the house compared to the past months and year.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 11:25 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

This past weekend I drove my Outback up Shaw Mountain Road to see how far I could get before the snow stopped me. Coming back down and before the cliffs of Rocky Canyon start rising I saw this up on the hillside and I have to admit I've never noticed this before

Does anyone know if this is an old mine or old miners shack? I know there was mining activity in that area and Lucky Peak back in the day.

btw, I asked our fearless Moderator to move the River thread over to the General Photography Forum. Check there for random updates.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 14, 2017 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 4:20 PM

Southeastland

Spring weather led to a long bike ride heading southeast on Sunday..... Harris Ranch development sure has kept cruising during this last four months -- I'd figured this winter would slow some of it down, but indeed no they're cruising out there... also, fences are up for that triangular mixed use project at the bottom of Protest Hill adjacent to BSU. Random project updates:

Protest/Beacon/Boise Project fencing up and dozer demolition.

BSU Honors College, it's hard to capture the full footprint of this thing, a couple wings not visible from the street, but it's massive as you know if you've seen it...

Parkcenter/Marianne Williams Park area apartments... surprising how close this bulk comes to the Greenbelt easement... pretty cool too, maybe more cycling commuters in the future?

Harris Ranch Warm Springs townhomes... the density begins.

More Harris Ranch townhomes, the ones that face onto Marianne Williams Park

Mill District density infill next door to the "new" Lucky 13 -- cool to see more urban projects like this going up otuside of city center

Townhomes facing onto Greenbelt -- done since last summer, I dig how the front doors face directly onto the Greenbelt!

Almost back home, love this view from near the Depot above Lusk... little mustard creeping in from Afton project!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 1:54 PM

Great pics trails and Sawtooth.

Sawtooth, I do not think anyone here has an answer to your question.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/boi...nt?oid=4377677

Boise Parks & Rec to Share Two Spaulding Ranch Proposals With City Council

Quote:
In October 2016, Seattle-based GGLO Design was awarded a $50,000 contract to thread the needle between the neighbors of Spaulding Ranch (near Capital High School), who love the wide open space, and the city of Boise, which now owns the parcel and would like to turn it into a historical preservation site.
https://media1.fdncms.com/boiseweekl...?cb=1489519546

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 5:32 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's an article from Oregon about Treefort:

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2017/03/new_music_goes_west_treefort_upstream.html

it's been interesting to see the increased coverage (at least regionally) for Treefort the last year or so.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

btw, I asked our fearless Moderator to move the River thread over to the General Photography Forum. Check there for random updates.
Dang it should have been left here because it adds refreshing variety below the three sticky threads.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:34 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
here's an article from Oregon about Treefort:

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2017/03/new_music_goes_west_treefort_upstream.html

it's been interesting to see the increased coverage (at least regionally) for Treefort the last year or so.

I'm looking forward to Alefort and Foodfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaBoi View Post
Dang it should have been left here because it adds refreshing variety below the three sticky threads.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:28 PM

Construction on 4-story building in downtown Meridian slated for June

http://www.mymeridianpress.com/news/...e82858a3f.html

Not the best looking development, but downtown Meridian is getting a new building. A new 4 story building, with retail/restaurant on the ground floor, offices on the 2nd floor, and residential units on the 3rd/4th. Phase 1 will replace a one story building that currently houses the Treasure Valley Children’s Theater, which has outgrown the space is looking for somewhere new land. Phase 2 will demolish the library's Unbound satellite.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:03 PM

More News!

Idaho plans to buy HP's entire Boise campus for $110 million, move agencies there

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...138905598.html

Quote:
Idaho is buying Hewlett-Packard’s entire Boise campus on Chinden Boulevard.

The state’s Department of Administration has signed a non-binding letter of intent to start talks with HP on the deal, with an estimated purchase price of $110 million and an additional $16 million in costs for renovations

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...#storylink=cpy
If this follows through, it will create a massive government center out in West Boise. It would consolidate government offices from around the valley. The article touches upon the ripple effects this will have. It's interesting that HP changed its policy regarding its properties and campus. Hopefully its not a sign that they are leaving the valley and/or struggling.

One thing that wasn't mentioned but could be affected by this purchase is that it potentially eliminates the other stated buyer for the Downtown stadium site. St. Luke's mentioned that the state was another interested party in their property. This might help clear the way for the Hawks to purchase the site.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:06 PM

Thanks Boise native for the reminder -- it's hard to keep all these coop terms straight!! Is the Central Addition a former poultry site or something?

About 10 years ago I lived in an old cottage on Eastman that had been a chicken coop for a house on 24th St!

Also somebody noted the Surel's Place hadn't been very active, it's looked like they've made significant progress to me... they just put up a pergola for the cafe recently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
Local Construct was planning on putting something similar (but slightly larger. 200 units instead of the 159 for The Fowler) across 5th. It was called "The Nest." I don't recall hearing any updates on that project for quite some time. I'd imagine they are putting it on hold until the Fowler is complete. "The Nest" is still on Local Construct's website, though, which is good news. http://www.localconstruct.com/developments I've been impressed with what Local Construct has done so far in Boise and hope they continue to invest in our city.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:52 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice photo from this week, from the city twitter feed:

Last edited by Boisebro; Mar 17, 2017 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Idaho plans to buy HP's entire Boise campus for $110 million, move agencies there

If this follows through, it will create a massive government center out in West Boise. It would consolidate government offices from around the valley. The article touches upon the ripple effects this will have. It's interesting that HP changed its policy regarding its properties and campus. Hopefully its not a sign that they are leaving the valley and/or struggling.

One thing that wasn't mentioned but could be affected by this purchase is that it potentially eliminates the other stated buyer for the Downtown stadium site. St. Luke's mentioned that the state was another interested party in their property. This might help clear the way for the Hawks to purchase the site.

Here is an update regarding HP:

Quote:
HP Inc. would lease back the space it needs. It was not clear what, if any, effect the deal would have on the future of HP operations’ and employment in Boise. Otter said in a statement that “a great employer is reinforcing its commitment to Idaho,” but state officials declined to provide details, referring questions about HP to the company, which did not return calls and an email.

An HP spokesperson told Fortune magazine that “this decision will ensure HP is able to maximize the value of its real estate investments and create future growth at the Boise campus.”

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:14 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

To expand on the discussion of the three historic homes moved from the Central Addition for The Fowler apartments, here is a pic I shot today of the Jones House that was moved to Reserve Street near St. Lukes.
http://www.preservationidaho.org/eve...ntral-addition

This is a photo of mine from 2015 before the homes were prepped to move.
Jones on the left, Fowler is obvious.
The Zimmer House which is now The Sturiale Place on Bannock was across the street.

On a sad note, Ada the Northend Elk passed away last night at the corner of 12th and Fort. I've seen her daily since she came down from the Foothills in early February to live out her last days in my neighborhood. She was old and was looked out for by almost too many people.

https://northend.org/2017/03/03/ada-the-elk/

Last weekend at the Community Garden by the Cathedral of The Rockies.
zoooooom

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:29 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Waterfront property in East Boise. Photos from yesterday on the way tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/arboretumboise/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:06 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

March 18
The Arboretum at Barber Station
Warm Springs Ave @ Parkcenter Blvd

First, respecting The Boise River
The view from the East Parkcenter Bridge looking downstream.

More photos here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...05#post7745405

Hump day bonus

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 23, 2017 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

Apparently we are losing the downtown Mongolian BBQ and getting The Funky Taco. Anybody know anything about this?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post
Gardner is building some medical offices https://boisedev.com/news/2016/9/23/...dner%20medical
How boring! They could have built something along the lines of the 951 but a little more interesting IMO. The street-level retail blends into the rest of the building and you hardly even notice it's there, which kind of defeats the purpose of somebody opening a small business in one of those spaces. The only spaces that stand out even slightly are Full Steam and the eyeglass place. I live over on Straughan and Holly, So drive-by all the time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:43 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...139691543.html

Alberstons might buy Sprouts Farmers Market, take it private
Albertsons weighs merger with Sprouts Farmers Market, an organic grocer

Quote:
Albertsons Cos., the Boise grocery-chain operator backed by Cerberus Capital Management, has held preliminary talks to merge with Sprouts Farmers Market Inc., people with knowledge of the matter said.

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2017/...owth-for-2016/
Idaho tops nation in job growth for 2016
Quote:
Idaho led the nation in job growth in 2016, mostly because of people moving into the state, according to the Idaho Department of Labor.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:53 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Apparently we are losing the downtown Mongolian BBQ and getting The Funky Taco. Anybody know anything about this?
Hmmm. Does the Taco got the funk?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West