HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 15, 2006, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
Okay. I see where you are coming from. But when you say the University Drive Project, are talking about the road construction by University and Main? Because otherwise I do not know what you are talking about.

I think as the metropolitan area continues to grow that eventually we will get an expressway running through/near/around downtown. Or posibbly something like what Bismarck has. I do agree that that would encourage more developers to come downtown. Still, I think in spite of there not being a downtown expressway developers still want to build there. Yes, there will be more skyscrapers around the interstate as well (like the cities), but I do think we will only see growth downtown for a very very long time.

P.S. We have two Ruby Tuesday's. One on 13th Avenue and one on 25th Street.
Yeah the one at University and Main that I found myself driving around when I stayed downtown at the Radisson last month. But at least that one is only temporary.

I'm not sure there ever will be a downtown expressway. It would require ALOT of teardown of existing buildings and there really isn't an easy choice on how to do that. Any plan to build an expressway or freeway into downtown would likely find itself in the courts for YEARS before a single shovel of dirt was turned.

As for Ruby's, I haven't found myself on 25th Street for any reason lately. Even though my old company, Navteq, is right at the corner of 25th and I-94 now.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 2:42 AM
still here

Welcome DowntownFargoan!!!!! It's GREAT to have another Fargoan on the page. I hope that you can put your input onto this great metropolitan area's thread. If you ever have any questions or concerns you can always send a private message to SmileyBoy, Nanobison, or myself. Again, Welcome to the Site!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:03 AM

Okay, I can lurk no longer.

Hello to all on the forum! I have been a lurker on and off, on this thread and sometimes cruising off to your varied and interesting blogs.

I am a small business owner who moved my business from West Fargo to Downtown Fargo more than a year ago. I've not been a complete stranger to downtown, having officed here with various small businesses in the 80's and 90's as well.

I've always been drawn to the downtown area. So much so, that my wife and I are the future owners of a condo at The Fargoan. (It's a little scary selling a 5-year old bi-level with a 2-1/2 car garage, adding $25,000 to its selling price, and in return getting 900 sq. ft. and one parking space downtown!)

So, within 1-1/2 years, I've moved my business downtown (and 3 staffers and myself, adding one more this fall), and my wife and I will be moving our home downtown as well!

My staff have each mentioned that they never had a reason to go downtown before, but now they all love it. We eat breakfasts, lunches, coffee, etc. downtown too... while we're only 4 people, that adds probably $40-$80 per day to the coffers of downtown restaurants.

More businesses moving downtown, and this type of commerce will add up in a hurry, and THAT'S how you get large, nationally based restaurants interested in moving to downtown Fargo.

An interesting observation: Moxie Java (coffee joint) smack in the middle of downtown Fargo. I was there this am, and a line stretched from the front counter to the door for the entire hour I was there (around 10 am). It's become a mindblowingly busy little coffee shop all of a sudden. Quite a contrast to even two or three years ago.

One point I'd like to make about The Fargoan project is that there are condo units in that building that have sold for well under $100,000. Two units were in the $112,000 range (each with an underground parking space), and there are currently seven units available ranging in price from $112,900 - $181,000. That's $141 per square foot. The near half-million dollar condo's for sale on NP Avenue are around $180 per square foot (much larger units though).

The units that folks have purchased and modified, of course, have shot up in price due to changes and additions, purchasing storage rooms on the main floor, etc. Now, whether this is "affordable housing" is another point... but given that there are a whole lot more $300,000 condos downtown than $100,000 ones, I think The Fargoan and it's developers need to be given some credit for trying to keep the price in line. (Yes, thanks to a little city help, maybe, depending on the whole TIF shakeout).

Will any condos downtown be as affordable as The Fargoan in the near future? Not in my opinion.

It appears there are still around 3 condos available in the Ford Building (Kaye's) too. Those are in the $200+ per sq. ft. range, I believe? A little more $$ than the Fargoan, but still not completely crazy... yet.

Watching HGTV, and large city lofts and condos selling for $600 - $1000 per square foot blows my mind. Will Fargo ever see that? Doubtful. But, downtown is going to really start hopping here in the next few years, and thanks to all of you visionary optimists for making it happen.

-DowntownFargoan
"The difference between having an interest and being committed to something can best be explained by looking at a plate of ham and eggs... the chicken that layed the eggs has an interest, the pig is committed."
- JR Ewing

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:17 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot this in my first post... sorry.

Last night my production manager worked out at the Y downtown, and there next to him was Kenny G - in town for a concert at the Fargo Theater. Working out by himself. Only in Fargo, my friends, only in Fargo.
"The difference between having an interest and being committed to something can best be explained by looking at a plate of ham and eggs... the chicken that layed the eggs has an interest, the pig is committed."
- JR Ewing

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:54 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownFargoan
Watching HGTV, and large city lofts and condos selling for $600 - $1000 per square foot blows my mind. Will Fargo ever see that? Doubtful. But, downtown is going to really start hopping here in the next few years, and thanks to all of you visionary optimists for making it happen.

-DowntownFargoan
I do think as Fargo continues grown and prosper, that one day (maybe in 44 years Nano) Fargo will have $600-$1,000.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:59 AM
Honored Member

Another consequence of Fargo-Moorhead's growth (and better relationships with the younger population in town):

Powerman 5000 is playing at Playmaker's on September 12.

Avenged Sevenfold is playing at Playmakers on the next night, September 13.

These are shows that even Sioux Falls couldn't get.

And welcome, Downtown Fargoan!!

You can visit my blog, but it's basically a big faliure right now. Visit Nano's blog also. He's got a lot of good stuff going on there.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 9:30 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Not only is Fargo adding excitement, but it's good to see more SSPers from Fargo. Welcome aboard DowntownFargoan. (btw, I can see that moniker becoming DF for brevity's sake ).

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 1:19 PM
Steel City USA

Its good to see more people from Fargo joining the forum.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 1:48 PM

Sure... I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
Not only is Fargo adding excitement, but it's good to see more SSPers from Fargo. Welcome aboard DowntownFargoan. (btw, I can see that moniker becoming DF for brevity's sake ).
When someone called me a "DF" I have a little different connotation, but we'll just pretend it really means "Downtown Fargoan".
- JR Ewing

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here as well for a few months now. But I see this is a good time to say hello.

I too am from Fargo and I work as a software engineer, developing core systems for banks. I also attend NDSU for Computer Science. I also would like to someday become a city planner but I am not sure what classes to take, if thats even possible or not. I am very interested in urban developement which makes the conversations here fun to read.

Zif.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:45 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Oh my gosh, another Fargoan. Are you guys (F-M, Smiley, Nano) advertising for new forumers out there?

Welcome to SSP zifnib.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:52 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Urban Plains Is In Development !!!

Some nice news this morning. Smiley, will be glad to hear :

Work to begin on medical park
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Construction will start within two weeks on the first building in the Urban Plains Medical Park in southwest Fargo, project officials said Tuesday.

The 40,000-square-foot facility – the first of eight buildings planned in the park – will sit just west of 45th Street between 28th and 30th avenues south in the Urban Plains by Brandt development.

No one has signed up to lease or buy space in the$5 million to $6 million building, but independent doctors have expressed interest in a free-standing facility, said Todd Berning of ICON Architectural Group, one of three project partners.

Developer Ace Brandt wants to bring doctors from different fields into the same building but allow them to retain their individuality, Berning said.

“It could be anything from eye doctors to internal medicine to orthopedics, specialties,” he said.

The contractor finished a similar 108,000-square-foot facility last month in the Aurora Medical Park in Grand Forks, said Mike Dunn, community relations director for Construction Engineers.

Aurora Medical Park’s tenants include the Cancer Center of North Dakota, a foot and ankle clinic, and services for psychiatric care, kidney and hypertension and aesthetic medicine and wellness.

The Urban Plains facility should be ready for occupancy by next spring, Berning said.

“It’s a very aggressive schedule, but we’ve done it before,” he said.

The city of Fargo is installing roads and other infrastructure at the site.

A news release Tuesday from Urban Plains by Brandt said the medical park “may include a major health care facility in future phases.” Berning said that facility won’t be a hospital, but possibly a 24-hour surgery center.

City Commissioner Tim Mahoney, a surgeon at Dakota Clinic/Innovis Health, said city officials recognize the need for medical facilities in the expanding area of southwest Fargo. He said he supports Brandt’s vision of a development where people can live and have access to health care, retail and other daily needs.

“He’s kind of trying to set up a little town in that area. We think that’s a nice concept,” Mahoney said.

Berning said Innovis and MeritCare Health Systems were informed about the medical park plans.

“They’re very well aware of what we’re doing, and if they express interest someday, that’s fine, too,” he said. “They could lease space just like anybody else.”

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:54 PM

Wow, a lot of people coming out and posting! This is great! Welcome everyone! Spread the word about this thread and see how many FM Metropolitan area folks we can get in here!!!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 3:55 PM

p.s. I put two new posts on my blog dealing more with "The Front" and another front I called "The Northern Front". Looking forward to comments and ideas about it! I'll put some more up later tonight.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 7:46 PM
still here

Tax boosts library funds
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Fargo’s half-cent library sales tax generated nearly $650,000 more than originally projected, which should take some pressure off the group trying to raise $3 million in private funds for three new libraries, a city official said Tuesday.

City Commissioner Linda Coates, who sits on the Fargo Library Board and chairs its Building Committee, said the additional funds will help offset rising construction costs.

“Every little bit will help,” she said.

The city collected $12.65 million from the voter-approved tax during its 18-month lifespan that ended June 30, city Finance Director Kent Costin said.

The total could increase slightly before the end of the year as tax returns trickle in to the state tax commissioner’s office, he said.

The estimated cost of the new main downtown library and north and south branches is $15.3 million.

On Tuesday, officials announced the membership of the Fargo Public Library Campaign Cabinet, which will try to raise $3 million in private donations to cover the balance of the library costs.

Its 13 members will solicit donations under the theme “Writing a New Chapter.”

Leading the effort is Mark A. Anderson, president and CEO of BlackRidge Financial Inc. and former president and co-founder of Community First Bankshares.

The cabinet is stocked with well-known and well-connected figures, including former Fargo Mayor Bruce Furness, Fargo Planning Commission Chairman John Q. Paulsen and Jan Ulferts Stewart, retired director of the Fargo-Moorhead Area Foundation.

“We obviously wanted folks that had a history of being leaders in the community and had experience in philanthropy,” library Director Charles Pace said.

Consultant David Baker of Hodge Cramer & Associates Inc., Dublin, Ohio, recruited the cabinet’s leadership, which in turn recruited the other members, Pace said.

The cabinet has identified a lot of potential donors at varying levels of support, Anderson said. Members will start soliciting donations after their Aug. 29 meeting, he said.

If the fundraising effort falls short, the library may have to postpone some purchases and use existing shelving, furniture and cheaper building materials, Pace said.

Construction of the main library is slated to begin next spring on the site of the existing downtown library. The Northport Branch opened July 13, and work is scheduled to start in October on the south branch in Ed Clapp Park on 32nd Avenue South.

The Library Board and Building Committee are scheduled to vote on the final south branch design and review updated plans for the main library during a public input meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the City Commission chambers at City Hall, 200 3rd St. N.

Other members of the fundraising cabinet are:

- Deb Dawson, a Fargo-based writer and former president and CEO of Dawson Hail Insurance Co.

- Marjorie Haggart, an active library user and Fargo resident since 1950 who has supported numerous community and church activities.

- Prakash Mathew, vice president for student affairs at North Dakota State University and chairman of the Fargo Library Board.

- Steve McLister, general manager of The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead and a board member of the United Way of Cass-Clay and the Chamber of Commerce of Fargo Moorhead.

- Michael J. Olsen, a Fargo-based communications consultant and former senior director of communications for Microsoft Business Solutions.

- Ryn Pitts, a health-care management consultant and former Library Board chairwoman who serves on the Fargo Dome Authority and NDSU Development Foundation.

- Jerry Topp, managing partner and CEO at Eide Bailly LLP, a regional certified public accounting and business advisory firm.

- Brian Walters, president of the Greater Fargo Moorhead Economic Development Corp.

- Lisa Wheeler, president of The Title Company and a board member for the Pelican Group of Lakes Improvement District in Minnesota.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome New Forumers!

For all the readers here's the new library. Also the planned Southpointe Library.
I got the picture Larger. Yahoo!

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 19, 2006 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 9:21 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zifnib
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here as well for a few months now. But I see this is a good time to say hello.

I too am from Fargo and I work as a software engineer, developing core systems for banks. I also attend NDSU for Computer Science. I also would like to someday become a city planner but I am not sure what classes to take, if thats even possible or not. I am very interested in urban developement which makes the conversations here fun to read.

Zif.
Welcome Zifnib. I'm happy that we have another Fargo-Moorhead Forumer on the site. It's really great that we have many new comers. Welcome!!
I hope you can share all your comments and ideas with us and the rest of the Forum! (sorry if that was cheesy, but welcome)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2006, 10:49 PM

It appears they are changing the look of the new library. THANK GOD!!! The previous design was attrocious. I'm still kept peeved that it isn't going to be absolutely new construction. Still Half and Half. But I'm glad the look changed!!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 12:27 AM
still here

^Amen to that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 3:30 AM
Honored Member

Hey Nano, I'm trying to put a link to your blog from mine, but I have no idea to do that on my Blogger settings. It seems it only let me add links when I started the damn thing. Once I figure it out, I'll do that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 3:31 AM
Honored Member

I updated my blog. I'll do more updates to it once I figure the damn thing out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest