HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This idea is partially a result of the post-war period when central cities were declining. It's not the natural way of things.

The world is full of cities where people are mostly considerate. Just not so much in certain places like the "I'll do what I want" US.
Society has in general has coarsened and deteriorated. People are rife with self entitlement, zero regards for others and so on.

@ jtown,man: I don't consider Japan western. They are modern and progressive (to a degree) but still retain E. Asian values we here in the US and Europe simply don't relate to. When I was over there, a receipt blew out of my hand and about three people dashed towards it to pick it up. They value things that go beyond what personally benefits them where as here, people are more about what's in it for them.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:28 PM
Never Dell

Yes. My point is the standards of the central city don't need to be lower than anywhere else. Noise that need to happen -- traffic, factories, etc., is obvious, but noise that's just some jerkwad making 200 people in a 100' radius listen to their stereo should be cracked down on.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Yep. The grittiness I want in my cities is historic homes and old stone streets that look aged. Not a traffic post with stupid stickers people put up to make their town look edgy. Graffiti is fine by me...if its done legally and has an artistic point. Random gang writing on the side of a vacant building screams at me to KEEP DRIVING.

I hear comparisons of Chicago vs NYC on cleanliness. Some people think Chicago is too clean.....TOO CLEAN...think about that. I think urbanism has been so screwed here for about 50 years that even some urbanites don't even know what a great urban area is.

Or

People just have different opinions. But still lol
After the age of 14, I've never liked graffiti legal or not. It goes back to the entitled individual that thinks it's perfectly ok for him to scribble some random word, or draw some random sea creature, space monster on somebody else's property, public or private.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
After the age of 14, I've never liked graffiti legal or not. It goes back to the entitled individual that thinks it's perfectly ok for him to scribble some random word, or draw some random sea creature, space monster on somebody else's property, public or private.
I think the style can be somwhat charming if done correctly (and if commissioned by whoever owns the property). Generally graffiti is a sign of poverty, crime, and gang activity; the latter two I refuse to condone in any way.

I hate people who smoke while walking along the sidewalk and in front of primary entrances. Being allergic to tobacco smoke doesn't make matters better either.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333609543 View Post
I hate people who smoke while walking along the sidewalk and in front of primary entrances. Being allergic to tobacco smoke doesn't make matters better either.
Good one!

Cigarette butts -- big time pet peeve of mine.

Why is it ok for smokers to litter?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:18 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

- One person occupying the space of 2-4 people on public transit.
- Camping by the subway doors
- CANVASSERS!
- Blunt innard litter specifically
- Sidewalk cafes being crammed onto sidewalks that can't accommodate them. Along with any other needless sidewalk obstruction. Philadelphia has a real problem with this downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Society has in general has coarsened and deteriorated. People are rife with self entitlement, zero regards for others and so on.

@ jtown,man: I don't consider Japan western. They are modern and progressive (to a degree) but still retain E. Asian values we here in the US and Europe simply don't relate to. When I was over there, a receipt blew out of my hand and about three people dashed towards it to pick it up. They value things that go beyond what personally benefits them where as here, people are more about what's in it for them.
God, I love the Japanese. As much as I respect American culture and individualism, I think they have culture down pretty damn good.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Outside of the U.S., I've only been to Rome, Florence, and London in my adult life. As much as I love Rome's history and architecture, it's over the top with regard to trash (and graffiti). I figure Singapore would be my kind of town for cleanliness, but I know there are negatives there.

I agree about Rome, and it seems to apply to many European cities. I was surprised to see graffiti and trash in Venice.

On the other hand, I was just in Zurich, Budapest and Krakow, and I found all three locales to be very clean and well tended to. In Zurich you'd be hard pressed to find a scrap of paper on the ground. The other two places were more "Lived-In", but I was impressed with how much effort the Hungarians Maygars?) and Poles put into tidying up.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
God, I love the Japanese. As much as I respect American culture and individualism, I think they have culture down pretty damn good.
They are. I loved it there. Was in southern Japan for three weeks and wished I could have stayed longer. They really are an example we in the west should emulate more. Sans the all Hello Kitty stuff and used pantie vending machines but they managed to hang on to their core values despite generational shifts and emerging into a fast paced high tech society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays
Yes. My point is the standards of the central city don't need to be lower than anywhere else. Noise that need to happen -- traffic, factories, etc., is obvious, but noise that's just some jerkwad making 200 people in a 100' radius listen to their stereo should be cracked down on.
I think they are more noticeable because the sheer concentration of people in urban areas. You're more apt to tune into an asshole (or multitude of assholes) in Midtown Manhattan than here in suburban Houston.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
If they were writing "The King is a Fink" or some other message it would be just annoying, but all that we have in Chicago is me, Me, and ME. That is uncivilized and they need to be prosecuted.

for my small part I remove "tagging" from all the photos I post.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions