HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:34 PM

Québec City recorded 4. That's Metro (Greater Quebec City area).

Lévis - 0 again.

However, there was a killing in St. Georges de Beauce (south of Lévis) and a quadruple murder plus eventual suicide (it took him 3 weeks to die) in St. Isidore and Ste. Croix (on the south shore - south and west respectively).

0 so far for 2015.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

First murder in St. John's in 2015.

Cliff Commerford - originally of Riverhead in St. Mary's Bay, was stabbed to death last night off Topsail Road, across the street from Mount Pearl Square and just over the border in the City of Mount Pearl.

He'd just been picked up by a carpool for work and charges are pending. The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary isn't providing details yet but the family of the victim is doing so. They're the ones who identified him, etc.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:39 PM

Regina already has 2 murders this year!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 10:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A member of the Premier's security detail shot and killed a man in St. Mary's bay today. They (they're Royal Newfoundland Constabulary members) were there investigating a threat against the Premier.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:43 PM

Montreal had its 8th homicide last night. Up from 5 this time last year.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:39 PM

Can any one confirm that Winnipeg is only at 1 as of this time this year? I may have missed some news stories reg: the situation here. If so, remarkably low for close to 1/3 of the year.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:04 AM

As far as I can tell Edmonton is at 7.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Can any one confirm that Winnipeg is only at 1 as of this time this year? I may have missed some news stories reg: the situation here. If so, remarkably low for close to 1/3 of the year.
Winnipeg recorded another one this week and is now up to 4.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Winnipeg recorded another one this week and is now up to 4.
Hmmm. Unfortunately I read that latest statistic in the news yesterday as well with the apparent homicide on Main and Pioneer. I believe we're still below last years figures for this time of the year. Hopefully a downward trend is still possible for the remainder of the year, but with summer approaching who knows.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:43 PM

Toronto has very few homicides so far. I think only at 11.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 11:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's insane how long these things take to go to trial.

This one is topping the headlines here right now, obviously. And it was three years ago.

Quote:
25 year old Christian Iyamuremye pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of 33 year old Dale Maloney originally from the Goulds.

Maloney, Iyamuremye and another man had a brief exchange in the parking lot of a restaurant as Maloney and his girlfriend were going in for lunch. Maloney's girlfriend testified that when they came out an hour later the two men were waiting and confronted Maloney, who took off his shirt, ready for an altercation.

He soon turned and ran when one of the men pointed a gun and started shooting. The court has heard that Maloney was shot as he was running from the scene and the attacker later stood over him as he lay on the ground, and emptied his gun into him. A second man accused in the attack has been identified but has not been apprehended.

Iyamuramye was arrested in Manitoba months later after fleeing the scene. The trial is expected to take four weeks.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...54086&latest=1
It really sucks when one place is so little known in another that one story like this can form idiots' entire impression of a place and its people.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 8:04 PM
Regina SK

Saskatoon is having a pretty interesting year so far, with some major drug busts, an obvious increase in gun-related crime, and some police shuffling/requests for more officers/creation of the Gun & Gangs Unit.

5th homicide occurred last night. There were 7 murders in 2014 and 4 in 2013.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-say-1.3039620

4. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...cide-1.3020316

3. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...cide-1.3012294

2. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ctim-1.2995866

1. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...dies-1.2967689

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Hmmm. Unfortunately I read that latest statistic in the news yesterday as well with the apparent homicide on Main and Pioneer. I believe we're still below last years figures for this time of the year.
Last year at this time, we were at 8.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:15 PM

^ I believe we're now up to 6, unless I'm missing any recent ones from last day or two. Haven't really been keeping up with the murder news lately.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:08 PM

I think we are sitting at 8 not, seems like it's been more violent in Calgary this year...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I believe we're now up to 6, unless I'm missing any recent ones from last day or two. Haven't really been keeping up with the murder news lately.
Yeah, it's odd, I question my self why I post in this thread. I always hope to see a change in where this city is in violent crime and hope for better times. It's disheartening to say the least.

I think it also comes down to my previous involvement in law enforcement. At times we build up a tougher skin to the problems that we deal with on a daily basis. The media of course makes it almost impossible for most not to here about it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 10:11 PM
I am a typical

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...less-1.3049315

Quote:
Winnipeg police have released photos of a person of interest after two men were "brutally killed" in the city's downtown area, likely at the hands of the same person.

The body of a man in his 60s was found in the alley behind 329 Hargrave St. early Saturday at 12:45 a.m.

The body of another man in his 40s was found close by at 6:30 p.m. in the alley behind 333 Portage Ave.
Quote:
"There are a number of vulnerable persons on the streets of Winnipeg. When you're out and about, please pay particular attention to these people. They're often invisible, but make sure that they're safe and they're not being harassed by anybody."
Winnipeg and Thunder Bay have been the epicentre of a recent rash of hate crimes being committed against homeless and addicted people, especially when those individuals are native. Both cities have "popular" Facebook pages that exist solely to humiliate the homeless, which often receive comments which encourage acts of violence against those individuals.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 8:03 PM

They found the scumbag^^

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
They found the scumbag^^
Alleged scumbag.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:16 AM
I am a typical

It's a man with over a decade worth of violent assaults on his record. I think scumbag is putting it a bit lightly.

We allowed this to slip through the cracks for at least 13 years:

Quote:
Who is John Paul Ostamas, alleged serial killer in Winnipeg deaths?
Ostamas, 39, charged in deaths of 3 other men in downtown Winnipeg in April

CBC News Posted: Apr 28, 2015 5:12 PM CT Last Updated: Apr 28, 2015 5:38 PM CT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...aths-1.3052860

Details are emerging about John Paul Ostamas, the 39-year-old homeless man accused of killing three other men in downtown Winnipeg, based on information from police, people who have met him and even his own Facebook page, in which he wrote "somebodys [sic] gotta die" on the day two of the men were found dead.

The post, which appears publicly on one of his Facebook pages as of Tuesday afternoon, was attached to a YouTube link he posted of a music video for Somebody's Gotta Die by Biggie Smalls, also known as the Notorious B.I.G.

Ostamas has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Bushie and Collins and one count of second-degree murder in the death of Miles Monias, 37, who died after he was found beaten inside a bus shelter at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue on April 10.

[Winnipeg police Supt. Danny Smyth] noted that Ostamas does have a criminal record in northwestern Ontario, where he is from.

"Ostamas has a violent record for multiple assaults in the Thunder Bay area dating back to 2002," he told reporters on Tuesday.

"Our investigators will be contacting police in other jurisdictions where Ostamas is known to have travelled."

Charlie Okeese, a band councillor from Eabametoong First Nation ... confirmed to CBC News that John Paul Ostamas is a band member there.

Greg Brodsky, the accused's lawyer, says Ostamas has no fixed address spent a lot of time on the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada