HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 10:09 PM

I noticed this above ground opposite the site...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 11:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

^That's the Dey Street entrance/exit. It will look and function good, but is one more frustrating element that should have been put at the base of a high rise development, but instead squanders valuable real estate with a low rise single use structure in the middle of Lower Manhattan. The side of that building just screams "build a tower in front of me!" The MTA is hurting for money and opportunities like this gets wasted? Makes no sense.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^That's the Dey Street entrance/exit. It will look and function good, but is one more frustrating element that should have been put at the base of a high rise development, but instead squanders valuable real estate with a low rise single use structure in the middle of Lower Manhattan. The side of that building just screams "build a tower in front of me!" The MTA is hurting for money and opportunities like this gets wasted? Makes no sense.
They probably sold the air rights so someone can build bigger nearby. This way the PA gets the money up front, so they can pay for the building.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 5:33 PM

Quote:

Totally agree. We also are revealed a glamorous common wall of neighboring buildings on a busy street corner.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Why would they build a high rise on top of a pedestrian concourse, when there are six or seven high rises going up around the corner? Plus, an elevator and a king-sized bed would not be able to make the best of that space. It is better off as a new subway entrance. What they NEED to do is raze the low-rises adjacent to this spot.

MTA does not build high rises. They just modify the foundations for them.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
What they NEED to do is raze the low-rises adjacent to this spot.
That was sort of a given. The two structures to the left, saving the third, would have to be razed for any footprint of a sizable highrise development.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 9:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Backside of the Corbin...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 4:58 PM
BANNED

So how's this thing looking these days?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
So how's this thing looking these days?
They're not above street level yet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 5:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://tribecatrib.com/news/2010/dec...e-arrival.html

Fulton Transit Center Well on Its Way to An On-Time Arrival

By Matt Dunning
UPDATED Dec. 02

Quote:
“The job is going well.”

That simple statement says a lot coming from the man in charge of the $1.4-billion Fulton Transit Center.

Uday Durg, the MTA’s program executive for all Lower Manhattan projects, told a Community Board 1 committee last month that all 11 contracts on the project—now more than halfway into a 10-year construction schedule—have been awarded, and the labyrinthine complex is still expected to open in 2014.

“All of our contracts are moving on schedule and are tracking on budget,” Durg said.

In 2011, three portions of the project will open to the public. Most notably, southbound R trains will stop at Cortlandt Street for the first time since the World Trade Center’s collapse, as the platform reopens to passengers on the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11. Because there will be no public access to the sidewalk on the west side of Church Street, passengers will only be able to reach the southbound platform through an underpass beneath the tracks.

Also scheduled to open next year are a new entrance on William Street to the 2 and 3 trains, and a temporary connecting tunnel between the A/C and 4/5 Fulton Street platforms.

Since completion in August of the 29,000-square-foot concrete foundation of the transit hall, hundreds of steel columns have been installed below street level. The most important work, Durg said, was the underpinning of the 112-year-old Corbin Building. The MTA finished a year-long excavation of the earth beneath the landmark sliver building to prepare it to be part of the main Fulton Transit Center building.

When the Corbin Building opens, in 2013, it will house ground-floor retail spaces and serve as the south entrance to the new transit hall.

Residents and workers passing by the main work site, at Fulton and Broadway, will begin to see the first steel beams of the glimmering Transit Center building rising above the construction fence early in 2011. The $176-million retail hall and gateway into the subway system will be among the last components of the project to open, in December 2014.

More photos at the site.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:29 PM
BROOKLYN

Great progress, really looking forward to the completion.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 2:58 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.81203...-hub-1.2548367

MTA stealthily renames Manhattan station at major hub

By Theresa Juva
12/16/10

Quote:
Dude, where’s my stop?

The MTA has stealthily changed the name of a station at a major transit hub with little fanfare and without consulting a panel that advocates for straphangers.

In the past few weeks, the MTA rechristened the Broadway-Nassau station as just Fulton Street.

For less savvy riders and tourists, the sudden change adds up to a ton of confusion — and could even get them lost.

“If you are tourist and you are looking on your map for Broadway-Nassau after Chambers Street and you don’t see it — you’re going to Brooklyn,” said Andrew Albert of the Transit Riders Council, which represents riders.

Riders council members fumed at a meeting Thursday that the MTA changed the station name without public notice and hasn’t changed subway maps.

Council member Trudy Mason complained that the maps should have been changed before the holidays.

“Tourism is one of the biggest industries in New York, and people are traveling and they don’t know where they are going,” she said.

amNY managed to find one small poster at the station announcing the change Thursday. At press time, there’s still no mention of the change on MTA.info. When asked about the council's claims that there was no public education about the change, Ortiz said the charge was incorrect, adding that the Manhattan Borough President and commuity board was notified in 2006.

On the other hand, another recent name change to a Brooklyn — renaming Jay Street-Borough Hall to renamed Jay Street-MetroTech was widely promoted by the MTA.

An MTA spokesman said the agency changing the name to Fulton Street to help riders having the same name for all sections of the hub, which includes six lines.

The change was made as part of the $1.4 billion Fulton Street Transit Center project, spokesman Kevin Ortiz said.

“Having a single, common station name for all platforms in the complex would simplify passenger way finding and travel directions and reduce passenger confusion,” he said.

He added that new maps are being printed and conductors are clarifying for passengers.

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said while he agrees thinks the new name will make the hub easier to navigate, the MTA should have posted the new information on its website right away.

New Yorker Jason Kutch, 25, said the new label doesn’t matter to him.

“I still call it Broadway-Nassau,” he said. “I was born and raised here. I know where I’m going.”

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 9:41 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

MTA as usual just one bad decision followed by another. The renaming was done prematurely when the hub itself remains under construction.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 4:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
MTA as usual just one bad decision followed by another. The renaming was done prematurely when the hub itself remains under construction.
I can see both sides point of view. But it's just another lesson on why you should always pay attention to the stops. That being said, if you do somehow manage to miss the stop there, the next one is practically around the corner, either way. But it's New York, and people must be involved in even the most minor of changes, so the MTA should have done a better job with public relations.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 1:29 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ At this point the MTA is notorious at being awful with its customers and having monthly bad press. No matter what the MTA does there will always be backlash. As a New Yorker it really doesn't affect be but it will affect tourists for what a day before they fix the maps? If you use the station daily then it is sad that the sign change confused you. I use the subway everyday and don't even look at signs. This was really not at all a big deal and people should lay off of the MTA.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 2:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I use the subway everyday and don't even look at signs. This was really not at all a big deal and people should lay off of the MTA.
That's especially fine if you use the same subway and station everyday. Even when I had to use the same subway every day, whenever you enter a station that you don't normally use, you have to check the signs. The New York subway system is just too vast, with too many different lines not to. Often, even New Yorkers don't know which lines to take to certain destinations. But more importantly, the MTA is in a constant rebuilding process these days, so even normal routines are subject to change. It's always best to check postings - when they are provided.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 3:11 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I think they have been especially good at posting signs. Lately my station is completely decorated with signs with all sorts of information. The MTA has been having an extremely difficult time with the financial crisis (of course a lot of companies have been also) and we should give the MTA a break (amNY especially). I do understand the confusion but it shouldn't have been front page material.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 6:22 AM
BANNED

I used to always get off the subway at Wall Street and walk an extra bit simply to avoid this formerly disgusting stop. Now, it will be the most beautiful station in the City.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 5:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Yes it will, sort of like Downtown's Grand Central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I think they have been especially good at posting signs.
They have been especially good at posting signs. Whether or not the information posted is accurate is always questionable. Sometimes, you can just check with the clerk (if you can a. find one and b. they aren't their usual nasty selves) The signs are often outdated, or give information that is no longer accurate. And don't even bring up the announments on the PA system. The MTA also suggests you check the website as well, where presumably the information would be more up to date.

That being said, I hardly find the financial crisis and excuse for lazy management, especially considering things haven't gotten worse, they are the way they always have been. But when this maze of a station is suddenly opened up, with more clarity, people will appreciate it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 3:18 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I agree with now and I'll tell you why. This morning I'm taking the train as usual but the conductor says the next stop is the last stop on the train (of course after I get on and the train starts moving) and will be turning around and everyone one off. I get off with a bunch of people but the train just keeps going! (Of course this happens when I'm late). Theres always something with the MTA. And I agree posting signs is pretty much meaningless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive