HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Soldier Summit??? Why would anyone build anything in Soldier Summit? Perhaps you are thinking of Daniels Summit?
Maybe. I'm just going off what Delts said.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:53 PM

Sorry about that, I meant to say "Soldier Flats," which is definately the Oquirrhs, not Soldier Summit, which is the Wasatch. Also, the reports regarding a ski resort and snow amounts were excellent Cololi as far as the specific location they had settled on. So.... are you sure the resort base is planned at the 6000ft. level or are they planning to take it higher? Hey, Sundance and The Canyons also have to make allot of snow at the base or else go without, but the higher slopes can be excellent, as you well know.

Then again.... this is beginning to take the thread in the wrong direction. Sorry folks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Sorry about that, I meant to say "Soldier Flats," which is definately the Oquirrhs, not Soldier Summit, which is the Wasatch. Also, the reports regarding a ski resort and snow amounts were excellent Cololi as far as the specific location they had settled on. So.... are you sure the resort base is planned at the 6000ft. level or are they planning to take it higher? Hey, Sundance and The Canyons also have to make allot of snow at the base or else go without, but the higher slopes can be excellent, as you well know.

Then again.... this is beginning to take the thread in the wrong direction. Sorry folks.
Isn't skiing a form of transit?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Just messin' with ya

It's just that every response I have read from you is skeptical or resistant of new ideas/developments outside of SLC Proper.

So how much snow does it need to be suitable? How much does the area in question and the Oquirrhs in general get on average? Delt's was saying something about Soldier Summit. How much does it get?
The second a suburb gets a good development that improves the long term outlook of their community, the region, and the state, then I will support it. Until then, suburbs are just suburbs. I am talking about things like having wider sidewalks, adequate bike lanes, streets that aren't lined with soundwalls, connections between a transect of land uses, lots smaller than 8,000 square feet, commercial nodes on intersections of busier local streets, organic commercial development instead of "lifestyle centers" or strip malls, etc. then I will give them credit. I am not holding my breath though.

These are the characteristics of the automotic stations in the Oquirhhs. They are a bit south of the proposed ski area. At 7300 feet, Dry Fork has an average Feb snow depth of 29 inches. After the last week, which is about as snowy as the area's mountains get, they are sitting at about 55-60. Rocky basin, at 8900 feet has had a depth between 30-50 most of the winter. They are sitting at about 68 right now. In comaprison, most of the automatic stations at or near existing ski areas are above 100 or near it.

Delts: the base area is about 6200 feet. The upper area of the proposed resort is around 9400. That is pretty much the same base as PC, DV, and the Canyons. Brighton's base elevation, I believe is around 8700. The top of Mount Olympus is about 9200. they can't really get up more because they start to lose area to develop a base.

Last edited by cololi; Mar 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 8:01 PM

Hey you're right, I guess it is!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 10:21 PM

No real transit news to report, so here is some fake transit news.

Cottonwood Heights TRAX line:
7.8 Miles / 8 Stations:

(It should probably have another stop somewhere along Holladay Blvd., but its mostly just single family homes along that eastern stretch and I couldn't figure out where to put one.)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:35 AM
Exit 298

Not running it down major streets.

I like it!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
The second a suburb gets a good development that improves the long term outlook of their community, the region, and the state, then I will support it. Until then, suburbs are just suburbs. I am talking about things like having wider sidewalks, adequate bike lanes, streets that aren't lined with soundwalls, connections between a transect of land uses, lots smaller than 8,000 square feet, commercial nodes on intersections of busier local streets, organic commercial development instead of "lifestyle centers" or strip malls, etc. then I will give them credit. I am not holding my breath though.

These are the characteristics of the automotic stations in the Oquirhhs. They are a bit south of the proposed ski area. At 7300 feet, Dry Fork has an average Feb snow depth of 29 inches. After the last week, which is about as snowy as the area's mountains get, they are sitting at about 55-60. Rocky basin, at 8900 feet has had a depth between 30-50 most of the winter. They are sitting at about 68 right now. In comaprison, most of the automatic stations at or near existing ski areas are above 100 or near it.

Delts: the base area is about 6200 feet. The upper area of the proposed resort is around 9400. That is pretty much the same base as PC, DV, and the Canyons. Brighton's base elevation, I believe is around 8700. The top of Mount Olympus is about 9200. they can't really get up more because they start to lose area to develop a base.
I do agree that suburbs need to make fundamental changes, but I think you're standards are a bit harsh and impractical in real-life senerios. It may sound good on paper, but when it comes down to it, it's much more difficult than that. I think that Daybreak is really setting a new standard for future suburban developments to follow - an intricate network of bike/pedestrian trails, bike routes, no soundwalls, plenty of open space, "commercial nodes", light rail, etc. Seeing as you disapprove of even Daybreak, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied - that's as good as any suburban development can get to your standards that I have ever seen or heard of.

As to the resort, there are resorts in places like New Mexico and Arizona that are right on par with this proposed one in the Oquirrhs as far as snow pack goes. I will admit that it won't be anywhere near the Wasatch resorts, but I do think it can work. Like you said, it is just an idea. I'm not absolutely confidant that it will happen, but I am hopeful. Skeptics like yourself are a bit draining and depressing, but you do bring us optimists down to reality. I appretiate your point of view. The issues you bring up will need to be worked through. I hope they can be worked through. It would be fantastic for the SLC area to be able to say it is sorounded by resorts.

I'm moving this ski conversation over to the new irrelevent 2.0 thread. Let's keep it transit-related from here on out on this thread.

Last edited by Urban_logic; Apr 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 8:20 AM

I will continue the "ski theme" here because I have little faith in the survival of the irrelevant topics thread. A few points may be worth pointing out regarding ski resorts. The operating base snow depth of a ski resort is entirely dependent on the terrain (rocky or brush covered slopes require more snow than barren or mowed/manicured slopes). Bogus Basin's minimum operating snow depth is around 20 inches while Park City Mountain Resort's is around 35 inches. Both resorts have a similar base elevation and operation timetables. The difference is in the foliage covering the slopes. Snowbird needs at least 50 inches of snow to cover it's rocky terrain. The pitch of the Oquirrh's in a non issue. Steeper terrain would just mean a larger percent of the resort would be black diamond runs as opposed to green runs. Snow making nowadays is only limited by economic constraints. New snow guns can produce snow at temperatures as high as 45 degrees with an optimal temperature range of 28-33 degrees Fahrenheit. I believe the only reason there is not currently a ski resort somewhere in that mountain range today is because those mountains are primarily privately owned by Rio Tinto and a ski resort was not part of mining operations or their business model. Park West (Park City Mountain Resort, today) opened only after the demise of the silver mining industry at that location in 1962.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks Ragerdude, a couple of very good points, particularly with the latest in snowmaking equipment and the foliage and Terrain. I had always understood the ruggedness of the terrain at say a Snowbird and a Park City as requiring a different base of snow. However, I hadn't even considered where this resort in the Oquirrhs would fit into that scenario.

Again, the so called experts had reported Bogus Basin & Soldier Flats as having excellent potential. I was just assuming they knew what they were talking about, but then began to wonder if it was all just another case of hype and sloppy reporting. At this point I'm thinking that a resort in the Oquirrhs is still a reality for the future, if Rio Tinto gets behind it.

As far as the ski theme in this thread, I think we usually stick it in the MSA thread, but whatever is fine with me at the moment.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:38 AM

Huntsman OKs bonding for $2.2 billion in transportation projects

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705294353,00.html

Traffic on I-15 in Utah County moves steadily in both directions near the Orem 1600 North exit Monday. (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

TAYLORSVILLE — Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. ceremoniously signed a pair of bills Tuesday that will allow for $2.2 billion in bonding for state transportation projects over the next four years.

The passage of SB239 and compromise legislation HB185 was finalized with a pen swoop within a crowded tractor garage at the Utah Department of Transportation Offices.

The black ballpoint signature paved the way, metaphorically, for I-15 additions and reconstruction in Utah County, from American Fork to Provo's Center Street.

The $1.725 billion I-15 CORE project will create about 60,375 jobs over four years, according to UDOT. Construction is expected to start in spring 2010. Bids will go out immediately for design work.

The project will add two lanes in each direction and will extend HOV lanes, said project director Dal Hawks...

The I-15 expansion will be similar in size and scope to the reconstruction that took place a decade ago in preparation for the 2002 Olympics, Hawks said.

Other projects that will receive state bond money include the Mountain View Corridor, the Southern Parkway in St. George and Riverdale Road in Weber County.

The new construction is possible, in part, because SB239 increased vehicle registration fees by about $20 per vehicle.

...the governor also signed contracts Tuesday for 16 federally funded projects. Construction could begin in as soon as 10 days, said UDOT spokesman Nile Easton.

The federal projects stretch from Weber County south to Washington County and include Redwood Road in Taylorsville, I-215 in Cottonwood Canyon, 8400 West and Parleys Canyon. Their cost is budgeted to total $153 million.

One of those projects was awarded to Sunroc contractor Kay J. Christofferson, who will be improving three intersections in the Provo area.

"We're glad to be back to work," said Christofferson, whose company is also involved in projects at BYU and in the Lindon/Pleasant Grove area.

For a complete list of Utah projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, visit www.udot.utah.gov

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Skeptics like yourself are a bit draining and depressing, but you do bring us optimists down to reality.
I am not a skeptic, but an idealist. When a suburban development has a blank slate, why not do things right, based on hundreds of years of development patterns that prove what works best and what doesn't? I give some suburbs a pass, primarily because of the time they developed and people were pretty much naive to the impacts that the private vehicle would have. But those developments that pop up in the last 10 years have no excuse. They should be perfect. There is no reason why they shouldn't be. I feel the same way about developments in urban cities. Salt Lake City has allowed it's fair share of crappy developments, and so do most places. But fighting for an ideal is by no means a downer.

daybreak should have done a lot of things different. They need a broader mix of housing types. The initial premise was that duplexes, twinhomes, tri-plexes, etc,. would be intermixed with single family residential. Instead, they end up putting all of the apartments and multifamily dwellings in pockets. I think they have improved on this a bit with their recent villages. There are few logical street connections. Anytime you have to backtrack through a neighborhood to get out of a neighborhood, it increases driving and walking distance to get to key areas. Another big hit for Daybreak is that South Jordan allowed the district to go where it did. While that part of the valley certainly needed more commercial and entertainment venues, it will delay significant commercial opportunities in Daybreak. If they would have limited the development at the District, Kennecott Land would have had a much easier time recruiting retail to Daybreak and it would have happened sooner than it has. Plus, everyone from Daybreak drives to the District. There are few people brave enough to walk across Bangerter. South Jordan also has limited the connections between existing neighborhoods and Daybreak.

The number one thing that suburbs do wrong is limit connections, for pedestrians, bicycles, and vehicles. They do it because they cave to public clamor about traffic.

I have seen a number of suburbs get things right. Reston Viriginia is the first to pop into my head. You are probably familiar with Davis, Ca. which is another fine example of a community holding up an ideal and striving to get there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:28 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

There is the ideal and the real, and often times those two don't mix. Yes developers and cities can make neighborhoods with more connecting streets, but as you said yourself the public cries about traffic, and it's that same public that won't buy those homes. So while I encourage developers and cities to strive towards walkability and street connections I think it is a process that will occur over time. While Day Break could have done some things different I think they made HUGE strides in stirring things up from the norm. There a huge area of downtown SLC, which we all love and think is the perfect example of how the burbs should be, that are very homogeneous as far as whats available. East downtown is predominantly 3 story walk up apartments, while the area around liberty park and sugarhouse park are predominantly single family. Things have obviously changed and evolved over the years. The thing that makes SLC and most cities unique is the connecting street grid.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
There is the ideal and the real, and often times those two don't mix. Yes developers and cities can make neighborhoods with more connecting streets, but as you said yourself the public cries about traffic, and it's that same public that won't buy those homes. So while I encourage developers and cities to strive towards walkability and street connections I think it is a process that will occur over time. While Day Break could have done some things different I think they made HUGE strides in stirring things up from the norm. There a huge area of downtown SLC, which we all love and think is the perfect example of how the burbs should be, that are very homogeneous as far as whats available. East downtown is predominantly 3 story walk up apartments, while the area around liberty park and sugarhouse park are predominantly single family. Things have obviously changed and evolved over the years. The thing that makes SLC and most cities unique is the connecting street grid.
The ideal and the reality don't often mix? I disagree completely. There are way too many examples of ideal development that are real and not just some brainstormed plan. I think a concept like placing frontrunner undergound through downtown SLC is the type of thing you are talking about. It sounds good, but in reality, not going to happen and not really necessary. But connecting streets in a new subdivision is so easy to achieve. And sububurbs generally do not get this right. The ironic thing is that by limiting connections, residents are actually increasing traffic in front of their homes because their neighbors have very limited options to get out of their subdivision. I absolutely agree with you on connections. I think they are the single most important thing. And neighbors who complain about traffic from single family homes in an adjacent neighborhood are not going to buy a home in an adjacent new subdivision anyway. The reason, they already live there.

I am not talking about having an even mix of uses, I am suggesting that suburban communities need to allow for a mix of uses, specifically residential types. You can have a single family neighborhood or a neighborhood dominated by one type of use, but why not put duplexes or triplexes on the corners? Or throwing a 10 unit apartment or daycare center on the corner of collectors? Instead you get complexes that further the negative perception of all types of multi family housing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
I am not a skeptic, but an idealist. When a suburban development has a blank slate, why not do things right, based on hundreds of years of development patterns that prove what works best and what doesn't? I give some suburbs a pass, primarily because of the time they developed and people were pretty much naive to the impacts that the private vehicle would have. But those developments that pop up in the last 10 years have no excuse. They should be perfect. There is no reason why they shouldn't be. I feel the same way about developments in urban cities. Salt Lake City has allowed it's fair share of crappy developments, and so do most places. But fighting for an ideal is by no means a downer.

daybreak should have done a lot of things different. They need a broader mix of housing types. The initial premise was that duplexes, twinhomes, tri-plexes, etc,. would be intermixed with single family residential. Instead, they end up putting all of the apartments and multifamily dwellings in pockets. I think they have improved on this a bit with their recent villages. There are few logical street connections. Anytime you have to backtrack through a neighborhood to get out of a neighborhood, it increases driving and walking distance to get to key areas. Another big hit for Daybreak is that South Jordan allowed the district to go where it did. While that part of the valley certainly needed more commercial and entertainment venues, it will delay significant commercial opportunities in Daybreak. If they would have limited the development at the District, Kennecott Land would have had a much easier time recruiting retail to Daybreak and it would have happened sooner than it has. Plus, everyone from Daybreak drives to the District. There are few people brave enough to walk across Bangerter. South Jordan also has limited the connections between existing neighborhoods and Daybreak.

The number one thing that suburbs do wrong is limit connections, for pedestrians, bicycles, and vehicles. They do it because they cave to public clamor about traffic.

I have seen a number of suburbs get things right. Reston Viriginia is the first to pop into my head. You are probably familiar with Davis, Ca. which is another fine example of a community holding up an ideal and striving to get there.
You are correct on a number of points. There are simple improvements suburban developments can make like connecting more streets. Daybreak certainly isn't perfect, but it is far better than the average development. It has really gone out of its way to be more sustainable. I'm not really sure what you mean by not connecting well to the rest of South Jordan. To the north, if you drive down a street like 40th West, you don't even notice the boundary between Daybreak and the older neighborhood. 48th West currently ends at just passed 98th South, but there is a corridor to connect into Daybreak eventually. From the south, it has fewer connections because that area is eaither farmland or hasn't been developed yet. When it develops, I see it looking like the north side. To the west, there is no existing devlopment. To the east, Bangetter Hwy limits connections to just 118th, 114th, and 104th South. You are right that, while it is quite possible, people from Daybreak don't walk to the District because Bangetter is pretty tretcherous to cross. They could easily make pedestrian connections under Bangetter at 118th South, then build pedestrian skybridges at 114th and 104th South as has been done in farther north over Bangetter.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

I agree with Future Mayor. I think Daybreak has made quantum leaps for developments in Utah. I think many developers do what they know and are comfortable with. There is a lot of uncertainty about how to make their developments more efficient and balanced. Developers and city officials now have something contemporary to show that developments can be different and successful.

On another note, I have a hard time understanding the term "organic" that people keep throwing around as it pertains to development. The term is frequently used to label suburbs as inherently not "organic" and areas like downtown as "organic". Can someone please help me understand this better? I can see viewing developments on a scale of their walkability, environmental impact, functionality etc., but somehow viewing them as "organic" and others as not, seems to be strange.

Can we really ever call development highly organic? We regulate, through zoning, almost every aspect of development, from what kinds of uses to height and even number of parking stalls. I don't necessarily have a problem with regulations, but calling such a highly controlled environment organic doesn't seem to make sense.

What makes some areas organic and some not? Both are regulated the same and are developed by private developers. If being organic means it isn't development by large national builders or massive projects then that makes a little more sense. Although, even with this I don't believe that it makes much sense either.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
I agree with Future Mayor. I think Daybreak has made quantum leaps for developments in Utah. I think many developers do what they know and are comfortable with. There is a lot of uncertainty about how to make their developments more efficient and balanced. Developers and city officials now have something contemporary to show that developments can be different and successful.
I don't think Daybreak has made quantum leaps for development. The only real thing I can see that they've done differently is encourage builders to build nicer homes with old-fashioned designs. Otherwise, it's a typical auto-centric suburb with crazy, curvy streets that never connect to the outside world.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post

On another note, I have a hard time understanding the term "organic" that people keep throwing around as it pertains to development. The term is frequently used to label suburbs as inherently not "organic" and areas like downtown as "organic". Can someone please help me understand this better? I can see viewing developments on a scale of their walkability, environmental impact, functionality etc., but somehow viewing them as "organic" and others as not, seems to be strange.

Can we really ever call development highly organic? We regulate, through zoning, almost every aspect of development, from what kinds of uses to height and even number of parking stalls. I don't necessarily have a problem with regulations, but calling such a highly controlled environment organic doesn't seem to make sense.

What makes some areas organic and some not? Both are regulated the same and are developed by private developers. If being organic means it isn't development by large national builders or massive projects then that makes a little more sense. Although, even with this I don't believe that it makes much sense either.
what I understand in a nutshell... organic development refers to individual developments filling in space over time (single apartment buildings, rather than a whole set of apartment buildings... one house instead of a whole subdivision). This way allows for smart growth because you design the single development to fit in with the existing infrastructure, rather than haphazardly plopping in a subdivision that takes up space but doesn't meld with its surroundings.

Last edited by DMTower; Apr 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I don't think Daybreak has made quantum leaps for development. The only real thing I can see that they've done differently is encourage builders to build nicer homes with old-fashioned designs. Otherwise, it's a typical auto-centric suburb with crazy, curvy streets that never connect to the outside world.

"The only real thing I can see that they've done differently is encourage builders to build nicer homes with old-fashioned designs..."

The "only thing"? Good one, good one.

I know, it sucks! It is completely paved in concrete with tons of traffic. There are major 4-8 lane roads every block in every direction. Major drug trafficing occurs in the public parks at a large scale on a daily basis, there are dozens of arrests every week, growing prostitution rings plague the area....No, wait, that would be Salt Lake City. SLC is nothing more than a typical dangerous, inner-city urban center.

Before everyone attacks me, I would just like to say that I love SLC and the above comment was an exageration to illustrate Stenar's generalized comment "it's just a typical auto-centric suburb..."

As far as "auto-centric" goes, I would also like to add that SLC is no less so than its suburbs. Look at 7th East - 8 lanes of traffic. There isn't a road on the west side with that many lanes. The only thing with the same number of lanes would be the 215 - which is a freeway. Look at 13th East, Foothill, 4th, 5th, and 6th South, State Street, 3rd West - all with 3+ lanes in both directions and always full of traffic. Even Sugar House has it's own "auto-centric" development. I drive into that parking jumble and can barely find a parking space. Just look at the sprawling parking lot in front of the Shopko. You can sure point your finger, but you can't see your own flaws. Fortunately, SLC is working virgorously to improve its traffic problems and provide alternative means of transportation to encourage its residents to ditch their autos for cleaner mass transit - TRAX, street-cars, etc. The suburbs are as well. We have 3 major TRAX lines (2 under construction), a commuter rail, a transit corridor along 56th West in the works, and BRT/expanding bus routes and services. I remember only a few years ago when the only bus that came to this part of West Jordan only came 4 times every morning, then 4 times at night. It only ran on weekdays. Now there are 2 bus daily routes that come all day with 30-60 minute frequencies which connect to the Sandy TRAX line and 1 commuter bus that can get riders to down town in about 45 minutes. Let't not point the finger. We are all in this together and are all working to get out of it together - as a county, a metro, a region, a state, a nation, and a planet. I am most proud of the achievments this region as a whole has made in its transportation (particularly rail) networks just over the last decade and I am confident that it will continue to progress as a region over the coming decades.

I will also say this. A suburb is a vital part of a metropolitan area that provides a lot to the urban center in the way of consumers, work force, tax base, etc. They are like vital organs or limbs that are symbiotically attatched to the urban center. I tend to see (especially in this forum) the word "suburb" used in a derogratory context. Some people like to use them as the scapegoat for everything bad in the region. With SLC's 180k population, it would be nothing without its suburbs. It would be smaller than cities like Boise and Colorado Springs. Without the assistance of the suburbs, the down town so many of us treasure would look nothing like it does now with the suburbs. TRAX would be nothing but a distant dream, let alone FrontRunner. The word "suburb" on here tends to be used in a knee-jerk fashion to paint something as unpleasant or despicable in development. The way some use it reminds me of the way some Republicans like to use the word "liberal" - a label that ends all further thought process on a matter and automatically turns people against it. A senator deems proposed legislation as "liberal" and suddenly a crowd of people are against it, even if they would have otherwise supported it. Stenar says "suburb" and automatically some ears immediately turn against Daybreak even though it is not what the label in that particular context painted it as. The realistic truth of the day is that every city has suburbs, and every city needs them. A balance must be acheived and maintained for both of these to sustain each other while still remaining vibrant. I am a firm believer in a thriving metro with a thriving down town and thriving suburban centers. In our particular situation, there are things to be worked on, but also things that are working quite well. We are seeing a revival as has not been seen to date in the down town area and many suburban centers are developing and thriving simultaneously. We are over-hauling our transit grid to include fast and efficient mass transit. I think we are on the right path.

Last edited by Urban_logic; Apr 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:22 PM

^^^

A big ditto to that. Comparitively speaking, we should be applauding the so called suburbs of the Salt Lake Valley, as they are now evolving. I'm VERY encouraged by what is happening with the completed and ongoing tranportation construction along the Wasatch Front. Live in a metro area like the inland empire or Orange Co. of L.A. Or even more so in Phoenix. The Wasatch mass-transit access/convenience factor, a comparitively excellent surface street system, combined with what is soon to be completed is amazing. What major metro overall has more track line, conveniently placed surface street square footage (per capita) than the Wasatch. I understand from many Portlanders that greater Portland's surface street situation does not work at all well with it's mass transit, and is infact pretty deficient.

We won't even get into the hands-down, most beautiful average metro vistas in the nation. Many metros in the West have certain isolated or specific areas with a nice view. Along the Wasatch Metro it's almost impossible to find a sector that doesn't have a beautiful panorama.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West