HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 4:03 PM
National Capital Region

929 Richmond by Brigil | 70.6m | 20fl | Completed

This is a 40 unit residential / ground floor commercial building proposed at the NW corner of Richmond and Woodroffe

Development app page

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 6:16 PM
Mooderator

I think there's a convenience store there right now (right flush with the corner).

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 6:21 PM
National Capital Region

yeah, it's a Pronto' Food Marts, you can see the outline on the site plan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
National Capital Region

from Alex Cullen's ward meeting minutes

Woodroffe North Community Association – Dave Grosvenor
Dave provided some details on the new building being proposed for the corner of Richmond Road and Woodroffe. This will be a 7 story building, mostly condominiums, with commercial facilities (most likely retail stores) at ground level.

Although this exceeds the Community Design Plan for this site, it does satisfy the existing zoning. The community association has met with the developer and is satisfied that the building is appropriate for the site and is well designed. They are concerned, however, that stores at ground level may create traffic issues if people stop on Woodroffe to run in to the store. Councillor Cullen noted that this area will be designated a no stopping zone, so this is not likely to be an issue.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 1:27 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
They are concerned, however, that stores at ground level may create traffic issues if people stop on Woodroffe to run in to the store. Councillor Cullen noted that this area will be designated a no stopping zone, so this is not likely to be an issue.

At least we get the building, its density and its form, to define that corner. But the one little detail that would have added the extra little pinch of urbanity, the toehold from which to extend a pedestrianized environment, I guess will have to wait.

It is precisely when traffic is slowed by street-level activity in mixed-use buildings that an area becomes more pedestrian-friendly.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
[/COLOR][/I]

At least we get the building, its density and its form, to define that corner. But the one little detail that would have added the extra little pinch of urbanity, the toehold from which to extend a pedestrianized environment, I guess will have to wait.

It is precisely when traffic is slowed by street-level activity in mixed-use buildings that an area becomes more pedestrian-friendly.
Does anybody live around there that can comment from experience?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
[/COLOR][/I]

Well said Mille....unfortunately, you are a rarity in this city...you walk the walk and talk the talk, but most people want to get in their cars and drive everywhere and don't want to be slowed down by urbanity.

Going to public meetings is a real refresher course in learning what the average Tim Horton's drinking Ottawan really feels is important. Most want clearly defined areas that are exclusively residential (preferably all of the type that they live in or better) and they don't want any traffic, noise, late night activity. Yet they want 1st class hospitals and other social benefits (as long as they don't have to pay more for them).....I digress as I am going off on a tangent....

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:18 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Well said Mille....unfortunately, you are a rarity in this city...you walk the walk and talk the talk, but most people want to get in their cars and drive everywhere and don't want to be slowed down by urbanity.
I don't know about you, but I love walking. I constantly go on my own personal tours of urban Ottawa. It's good exercise, and helps me feel more of a connection with my city and the people in it. Also, I will always run into at least one person I know on a street somewhere whether it's Chinatown, Centretown, the Glebe, or the Market...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I don't know about you, but I love walking. I constantly go on my own personal tours of urban Ottawa. It's good exercise, and helps me feel more of a connection with my city and the people in it. Also, I will always run into at least one person I know on a street somewhere whether it's Chinatown, Centretown, the Glebe, or the Market...
Remember everybody....all of us are on this forum for a reason...we are not the Ottawa 'NORM' by any means and we are like minded.

I've lived here since about Grade 8, with two Universtiy stints in Halifax and Toronto...one bigger...one smaller...It's easy for me to identify huge differences with other cities...Case in point is that my closest friends from High School LOVE living in Barrhaven, Metcalfe and Riverside South now; I only see them when they come to visit and all they do is complain about parking on my street...

We are the minority...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:56 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

I hear what you guys are saying and we are a minority, right now. But remember too that "we" were freakshows 10-15 years ago, and non-existent 30 years ago. Personally, I think we'd be surprised by how large a minority we are.

I read in the paper the other day that Jane Jacobs had written a new foreword to Death and Life some 25 years later where she said, "There's foot people and there's car people. Car people consider losing their cars as losing their legs. Foot people understand right away all we say about fine-grained mixed uses at street level."

There's something there to be applied to a sprawling metro area like our which still has a large enough walkable core. We need planning standards for the "pedestrian city" and planning standards for the "car city".

I don't want to waste anyone's time, and antagonize happy suburbanites, trying to force Barrhaven into looking like Sandy Hill. (I do want people who live in Barrhaven to pay their fair share of what it costs everone to have people live there and like that).

But I also don't want car people to have a say on how the pedestrian city looks and works. Those who are happy with their cars, are well served in the car city. If they drive into the pedestrian city they'll just have to put up with traffic, street parking, chaos, etc.

The population of the pedestrian city is indeed a minority but a large one. The pedestrian city must be made to function for people on foot. It's no use pretending that there can be a happy marriage between cars and pedestrians in things like regional arterial design and shopping mall parking.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:23 PM

You would need to do a lot of walking to rid yourself of that weekly dose of KFC toonie specials across the street.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
You would need to do a lot of walking to rid yourself of that weekly dose of KFC toonie specials across the street.
I've been at the KFC for the $2 special of deep fried squirrel meat....great for the 1st few bites and then you wonder what the hell is this stuff I'm eating.

BTW..there is a great West Indian lunch counter place in the west end of that mall to the west...Mugena is what it is called....good home cooked food, but not the quickest service.....they are definately on island time, mahn.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't want to waste anyone's time, and antagonize happy suburbanites, trying to force Barrhaven into looking like Sandy Hill. (I do want people who live in Barrhaven to pay their fair share of what it costs everone to have people live there and like that).
Trying to convince suburbanites that they don't pay their fair share of the overall costs is a very noble cause, but a real hard sell. Believe me, I've tried to explain it to people that SFR's just ain't paying their fair whack....

Last night, I was at a meeting held outside the greenbelt (actually east of the serviced area) and the people there were adament that the property in question was not in the 'village' proper (technically there is no such 'village', but a secondary plan giving planning policies to a former village) despite my back up that the property in question was covered by the village policies. These same people were also adament that they were not part of the 'City of Ottawa'. I was tempted to remind them of their status within the City proper, but thought better of it.

People thinking for the greater common good and realizing that urbanity and mixed use developments are a plus appear to be a minority.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucolic Urbanity View Post
I've been at the KFC for the $2 special of deep fried squirrel meat....great for the 1st few bites and then you wonder what the hell is this stuff I'm eating.

BTW..there is a great West Indian lunch counter place in the west end of that mall to the west...Mugena is what it is called....good home cooked food, but not the quickest service.....they are definately on island time, mahn.
I love their rotis there. I tried the goat recently and it was excellent. They do operate on island time there fah shure.

I don't know how often I would buy flags or stained glass supplies though.

Could that strip mall be next in line for development? If so, we may lose those tasty but too-aromatic-for-condos restaurant anchors.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:48 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I love their rotis there. I tried the goat recently and it was excellent. They do operate on island time there fah shure.

I don't know how often I would buy flags or stained glass supplies though.

Could that strip mall be next in line for development? If so, we may lose those tasty but too-aromatic-for-condos restaurant anchors.

I have to confess to a life-long affliction for KFC (especially the crispy type, whenever they bother making it). And I'm a big fan of roti - Groovy's Roti Hut on McArthur Ave. has the best in my book but I haven't tried that one you mention - thx for the tip.

Island time - remember that commercial? Jamaican lady waiting for a bus and when it finally arrives she gives the driver sh*t... "You're fohty-tree seconds late!" I am not late! "Yes you are late and now I am late!" (I can't remember what the ad was for though)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Island time - remember that commercial? Jamaican lady waiting for a bus and when it finally arrives she gives the driver sh*t... "You're fohty-tree seconds late!" I am not late! "Yes you are late and now I am late!" (I can't remember what the ad was for though)
I don't remember the commercial but my next door neighbour is from TT and believe me time has no meaning for him. He gave me the recommendation about Mugena.

Regarding K-fry...I can only stomach the chicken...the french fries, cole slaw, day glo salad stuff is truly scary.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:10 PM

Quote:

I have to confess to a life-long affliction for KFC (especially the crispy type, whenever they bother making it). And I'm a big fan of roti - Groovy's Roti Hut on McArthur Ave. has the best in my book but I haven't tried that one you mention - thx for the tip.

Malibu Rum:

Oh, mon, it's total gridlock!

It's kinda on-topic...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:27 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucolic Urbanity View Post

You are the first person I've seen on the internet that used the term "island time"...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:29 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:

That ad was for Malibu Bajan Rum, mon...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 7:02 PM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa