HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 4:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

667 Bank St | 17m | 5f | Approved

Milito Investments is proposing to construct a five storey (terraced to three storeys and one storey) mixed use building at 667 Bank Street at the corner of Clemow Avenue. The ground floor consists of commercial uses and an entrance lobby for the apartments on floors 2 to 5. An enclosed ramp with two bachelor units located above on floors 2 and 3 is located towards the rear of the property. There is 321.7 sm of retail uses on the ground floor and 12 apartments above the ground floor retail and two bachelor apartments above the ramp for a total of 14 apartments. The building is terraced to the north to address an existing elm tree projecting into the site from the park.

The building massing terraces to the east from five storeys to three storeys to one storey in the north east corner of the site to transition to the neighbouring property. The neighbouring property to the east 29 Clemow Avenue is a two storey residence which side yard abuts the property. The side yard is an asphalt driveway which provides access to arear parking garage. The area of the driveway utilized for vehicular circulation in front of the garage abuts the north east side of the park. The remainder of Clemow Avenue is characterized by single family residences with garages between the residences and a driveway serving the garages between the homes.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0AOBE5

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.40596...2!8i6656?hl=en

Renderings:

Site:

Last edited by rocketphish; Sep 1, 2016 at 1:40 AM. Reason: Rehosting imagery for permanence.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:03 PM

Huh, what a coincidence. The architect's name is Vincent P. Colizza, but I assume has no relation to James Colizza of Colizza Bruni Architects? Thoug, as I predicted from the design he formerly worked for Barry J. Hobin.

I'm supportive of density here, and it is otherwise a decent building. But it's the typical, conservative historicist building we get all over Ottawa. Still, it's an improvement for Bank Street.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 8:42 PM
Living With My Mother

Construction on Clemow you say?

Sturm und drang in three, two, one.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Huh, what a coincidence. The architect's name is Vincent P. Colizza, but I assume has no relation to James Colizza of Colizza Bruni Architects? Thoug, as I predicted from the design he formerly worked for Barry J. Hobin.

I'm supportive of density here, and it is otherwise a decent building. But it's the typical, conservative historicist building we get all over Ottawa. Still, it's an improvement for Bank Street.
Vince and James are either cousins or brothers to one another. James is a more modern architect along with Anthony Bruni.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:35 PM

This is nice for this stretch of Bank Street, it will compliment the Ambassador's Court apartments across the street and replace a parking lot eye sore.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:25 PM

Between the new McDs, Pizza Hut, and Boston Pizza, the two developments underway closer to Lansdowne, and now this one, that's a lot of change in the Glebe (courtesy of Lansdowne Park). Years ago some people used to say that the Glebe was fully built out and there wasn't much room for growth, but this is a lot of change in such a short period of time.

Quote:
Glebe mixed-use building draws ire

The planning controversies in Capital ward aren’t ending there.

Melito Investments is proposing to build a mixed-use building at 667 Bank St. in the Glebe. Source: Development application
Also up for consideration is an application from Melito Investments to construct a mixed-use building at 667 Bank St. in the Glebe.

The property, which was once home to a hotel and then a gas station, is currently a parking lot at the corner of Clemow Avenue. A children’s “exploration garden” is just north of the property.

The building would be 16.7 metres at its tallest point, or five storeys. The current zoning allows a building up to 15 metres in height.

There would be no parking spots in the development.

Opponents aren’t happy with the proposed massing of the building.

The planning committee will consider the development application later in the meeting on Tuesday.
http://ottawasun.com/news/local-news...5-d21b28262fb5

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:18 AM

I see the Glebe Outrage-O-Matic 2000 has dialled it up to 11 already.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I see the Glebe Outrage-O-Matic 2000 has dialled it up to 11 already.
Standard 1 vote in opposition.

Some of the objections to the UNESCO view being blocked by a building seemed far fetched.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Between the new McDs, Pizza Hut, and Boston Pizza, the two developments underway closer to Lansdowne, and now this one, that's a lot of change in the Glebe (courtesy of Lansdowne Park). Years ago some people used to say that the Glebe was fully built out and there wasn't much room for growth, but this is a lot of change in such a short period of time.

http://ottawasun.com/news/local-news...5-d21b28262fb5
There is lots of room for development on Bank. There are still quite a few sites on Bank with surface parking (like this site) and single story buildings. Same goes for Bronson - though the appeal of living on Bronson is considerably less.

The GCA has actually supported development on Bank in the 4 storey range. That said, the opposition to this building is ridiculous, and seems to largely centre around an elm tree and the under-used discovery garden that the GCA insisted on building in lieu of an actual playground.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
This is nice for this stretch of Bank Street, it will compliment the Ambassador's Court apartments across the street and replace a parking lot eye sore.
Heritage parking lot, no?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Standard 1 vote in opposition.

Some of the objections to the UNESCO view being blocked by a building seemed far fetched.
They are also predictable, as I predicted with 100% confidence when the canal got the designation.

Every project within 500m of the canal will be objected to on this BS grounds, forevery.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 22, 2017 at 3:26 AM. Reason: Rehosting imagery for permanence

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:59 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to see what reasons people can come up with to protest it! Probably something like the windows are too reflective..

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Looks great! Can't wait to see what reasons people can come up with to protest it! Probably something like the windows are too reflective..
Windows will kill birds. Also retail isn't appropriate in this location.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:32 PM
ハルウララ

I like it. Nice infill.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Windows will kill birds. Also retail isn't appropriate in this location.
This building blocks the view of the Pattersons Creek Park for people sitting on the patio at Farm Team, therefore it is offensive to me

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:24 AM

They actually included hydro poles in their renderings. An Ottawa first.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
They actually included hydro poles in their renderings. An Ottawa first.
And not a family heading to the park to go kite flying..another Ottawa first.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 3:44 PM

no parking provided?? ugly place to do a daily store of your car(s).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa4s View Post
no parking provided??
It does seem that way.

As of September 2016, this was the parking situation:

"Access to the below grade parking garage is located to the rear of the property along Clemow Avenue and adjacent to the driveway serving 29 Clemow Avenue. The garage entrance was so located to maintain a continuous street frontage along Bank Street and Clemow Avenue... Vehicular access is controlled through the selective placement of a ramp to the below grade garage which houses 8 parking stalls, waste room, bicycle storage and mechanical and electrical rooms.

And as of October 2017, it has changed to this:

"An enclosed bicycle parking and garbage room is located towards the rear of the property in an accessory building."

Here are all the changes between then and now:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa