HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:07 PM

Further information on the SFMOMA Expansion can be found here:

http://www.sfmoma.org/pages/expansion_design

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks, SFView. Good to see you posting! I like the public spaces they are creating: the public gallery on Howard, the extension of alleys behind the building, and the public elevated terrace. I'm very curious as to what materials they plan to use and if the color will actually be white or something else.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:28 AM

Yes peanut, I have been laying low, but still lurking. Actually, I have been more busy with work and family, plus there has been a great reduction of development news.

I like the sculptural forms of the schematic proposal. I especially like the public roof spaces. The topmost roof almost looks like Starship Enterprise shuttle craft could land and dock there. It also, looks like a great place to film music videos, do model shoots, hold stylish private special events, etc. If the client, public reaction and formal reviews favor the design as much as I (we) do, we may see this project built more like these renderings.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Ah, that must be it. That's too bad about it being in foreclosure.
Well, 1844 Market is in foreclosure no more. MacFarlane bought the note. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
MacFarlane makes $55M bet on Upper Market
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen
Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 3:00am PDT

MacFarlane Partners is jumping back into San Francisco with its first post-recession development deal, a $55 million apartment project on upper Market Street that will transform a muddy pit into 113 housing units.

The San Francisco-based investment adviser bought a non-performing note on 1844 Market St., a project that builder Joe Cassidy had started and then mothballed after his construction loan fell through. The fully entitled residential building just above Octavia Boulevard will have 113 rental apartments (99 market-rate and 14 affordable units), 5,500 square feet of street-level retail and underground parking for 81 cars.
Socketsite notes that construction should restart soon and they are aiming for a summer 2013 opening now.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:58 PM

^That's great news. That hole in the ground has gotten to be pretty nasty, with standing water and not-too-pleasant smells much of the time.

Has anyone ever seen renderings of what the back of the project will look like? One of the Socketsite commenters brought it up, and I'm curious about it too, but I couldn't see anywhere where that is shown.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:12 PM

Really great news! Thanks PG for the update.

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 5:16 PM
Only Mostly Dead

My pleasure. That's a good question, Gordo. I agree with that commenter: that stretch of Waller is really nice and I hope they make that side fit with the neighborhood. I can't find anything that explains the plan for Waller, but I have to believe the ingress for parking will be on it. Hopefully, it won't just be a large garage door and blank walls.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:59 AM

From:http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011...se-development
Quote:
The new politics of dense development in San Francisco

By: Dan Schreiber 05/29/11 4:00 AM
Examiner Staff Writer

Keeping San Francisco from becoming a forest of skyscrapers once dominated conversations about development in The City. Opposition to such “Manhattanization” was a platform that environmentalists, neighborhood groups and outright foes of development used to block construction projects.

But times have changed.

The onset of global climate change and the automobile-dependent sprawl that helped create it have forced developers, planners, urbanists and even environmentalists to rethink the future of a city facing significant population increases but almost no room left for horizontal expansion.

Past rejection of density propelled the growth of suburbs and the carbon emissions of longer car commutes. But today’s dominant paradigm favors dense, transit-oriented infill developments that encourage walkable access to schools, stores and services.

The transformation of the South of Market neighborhood and the creation of Mission Bay are two prominent examples of such development. More recently, even bigger projects have begun moving through The City’s approval pipeline.

In Hunters Point, developers will soon begin construction on a small part of their proposal to build 10,000 new homes. Meanwhile, on Tuesday the Board of Supervisors narrowly approved a plan to build 5,700 more homes at Parkmerced. The board is set to consider a separate vote on about 8,000 new housing units at Treasure Island on June 7.

Politics aside, growth in San Francisco depends, above all, on the sheer demand for housing.

By 2035, the Bay Area is expected to be home to about 2 million more people and 902,000 more homes, with almost all that growth concentrated in existing urban areas. This daunting 29 percent population increase has prompted regional planners to urge local governments to reduce their per-resident carbon emissions by 15 percent.

That’s the crux of the “Initial Vision Scenario for 2035,” which was released in March by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Association of Bay Area Governments. The report envisions that while the Bay Area’s population grows from 7 million to 9 million people, San Francisco will add roughly 90,000 households, pushing its population to around 1 million.

Predictions such as these are encouraging Bay Area cities to greenlight dense transit-oriented housing to help curb car and truck emissions and buck the suburban development trend that has reigned since World War II.

Environmentalists will keep fighting developments that involve the addition of traffic, but don’t expect the same kinds of fights over greater density in San Francisco.

“People understand if you just say ‘no’ in San Francisco, there’s going to be a million more people living in Modesto, and that’s a horrible carbon footprint,” said Jason Henderson, an assistant professor of human geography at San Francisco State University. “The City is willing to absorb its share of growth.”

But Henderson also said such growth will require an investment in transit.

“We’d have to buy a lot of new buses and a lot of new trains,” he said.

For instance, although the Sierra Club dislikes the parking plan at Parkmerced, developers linked construction of new housing units to a Muni light-rail extension, and the group did not oppose the project.

Instead, the opposition to Parkmerced rested with tenants who love the character of their postwar townhouses. Gabriel Metcalf, the executive director of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, regards such housing as an anachronism.

“Parkmerced was from an era when people were fleeing cities to places with green lawns and easy car access, removed from the problems of the inner city,” Metcalf said. “What we’ve learned since then is that more-traditional city forms give more options to people. We need to say no to development that is car-oriented and yes to development that is transit- and pedestrian-oriented.”

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors’ approval, in a 6-5 vote, of the massive Parkmerced redevelopment seems to suggest an emerging political consensus in favor of Metcalf’s viewpoint.

The fight over Treasure Island, which would bring 16,000 more people to the middle of San Francisco Bay and presumably add to the already snarled state of Bay Bridge traffic, is different.

Despite planners’ efforts to beef up ferry and bus services and include amenities that would reduce off-island trips, detractors still can’t see how the project won’t involve more cars. John Rizzo, the political chairman of the Sierra Club’s San Francisco Bay chapter, said his organization supports infill development, but Treasure Island doesn’t fit that bill.

“To say people are always going to take the ferry or do everything they need on the island is just kind of crazy,” Rizzo said. “If you densify an area and it doesn’t have any transit, it’s just going to clog everything up.”

dschreiber@sfexaminer.com

No sure bets when it comes to housing

Months of political tip-toeing before Tuesday’s approval of a massive housing redevelopment at Parkmerced should demonstrate a simple lesson: There is no exact formula for predicting whether development plans become reality in San Francisco.

Parkmerced has most things The City’s fractious development intelligentsia are now seeking — dense housing in an existing urban space with access to San Francisco’s mass-transit system. From 1975 until the early ’90s, political leaders faced opposition for approving large buildings even when they were located close to transit nodes.

That was underscored, San Francisco State University political science professor Richard DeLeon said, by the 1986 approval of Proposition M, which put caps on high-rises, among other limits.

By 1992, when DeLeon’s book “Left Coast City” was published, the local pro-growth movement had been hampered by increased political clout of neighborhood organizations seeking to preserve San Francisco’s special character. But with the rise of the movement known as “urbanism,” the rules of the game have changed.

“Now there is more of a shift to extract as much as possible in community interests and strike hard bargains,” DeLeon said. “The most radical force on Earth is capitalism. ... There’s something to be said for politically mobilized forces that challenge these market forces to eventually produce a deal that has popular legitimacy.”

In Hunters Point, developers proposing to build 10,000 new homes also promise to maintain affordable units in a city that badly needs such housing.

That was the deal hashed out by progressive former Supervisor Chris Daly in 2007, when he helped facilitate 360 rent-controlled units in South of Market’s Trinity Plaza. Daly also pushed for developers to pay into a community-stabilization fund for residents and businesses that would be affected by a Rincon Hill high-rise development in 2005.

Supervisor Sean Elsbernd, whose district includes Parkmerced, said the more recent development includes more affordable-housing options than Trinity Plaza, which passed unanimously.

“The general concept of smart growth, development on transit lines, is starting to spread across the political spectrum,” Elsbernd said. “But development issues in San Francisco are never black and white. There are always other interests.” — Dan Schreiber

Treasure Island

2,800 Current residents

16,000 Projected population increase

8,000 New homes

2,000 Affordable housing units

2032 Projected completion

Transit options

Increased bus and ferry services are aimed at reducing car trips on and off the island, which is in the middle of San Francisco Bay. Planners want a ferry to downtown every 15 minutes and a Muni express bus every seven minutes in the morning and five minutes in the afternoon. A tentative plan would require drivers to pay a $5 fee to drive off the island on weekdays.

Source: Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development

Parkmerced

7,300 Current residents

13,000 Projected population increase

5,700 New homes (8,900 total)

3,200 Rent-controlled housing units

2031-41 Projected completion

Source: Stellar Management

Transit options

A realignment of Muni’s M-Oceanview line will take riders further into the redeveloped neighborhood, with a zero-to-low emissions shuttle bus that brings less-connected residents directly to the Muni stop. The M line runs northeast to downtown.

Source: San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:54 PM

As I was reading that, I was thinking "yes, yes! YES!" I regards to the new urbanism.

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:14 PM

I came across this SF Planning report today on Socketsite:

http://www.sf-planning.org/Modules/S...ocumentid=8501

It's titled "San Francisco Neighborhoods Socio-Economic Profiles" using ACS data from 2005-2009 and is just about the most fascinating thing that I've wasted an hour looking through.

The commute shares by neighborhood and median building age by neighborhood are particularly interesting to me.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 10:13 PM

^Wow, that is fascinating. Thanks for posting, you just killed my productivity for the day.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:11 PM

188 Spear/120 Howard

Surprised to see they're going ahead with this four-floor addition.

[IMG] IMG00575 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Found this image on Google from SF Business Times of the end product.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:14 PM

City College Chinatown

[IMG] IMG00581 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG00582 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 11:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post

Good find on that rendering. I'm sure whoever occupies the top floors of 180 Howard are really excited about this.

Thanks for the updated photos of the City College building. It has its own thread if you wouldn't mind posting your shots there too.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jun 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post

[IMG] IMG00575 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hmmm, that's interesting. What will the floor count be after completion?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's 8 floors now, so looks like 12.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 9:52 PM

This was in today's SF Business Times http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...e-horizon.html

Sorry to say, I can't post the whole article.

Quote:
New San Francisco towers on the horizon

San Francisco Business Times
Date: Friday, June 17, 2011, 7:15am PDT

It's a concept that would have seemed laughable just a year ago: During the next 12 months, the steel of a new office tower could start rising in downtown San Francisco.

Just three years after a spectacular economic collapse left millions of square feet vacant, the market has shored up to the point where developers are out talking to tenants and contractors again. Tishman Speyer is shopping 222 Second St., Wilson Meany Sullivan is talking to tenants about the final Foundry Square site at 505 Howard St., and GLL Partners is looking for a commitment on 350 Mission St.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 10:17 PM

^What a tease! Well, the start of the article sounds like great news.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Dear skyscraper god in skyscraper heaven, please let 535 Mission be one of the first!

PS: 350 would be fine too.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 4:19 PM

City College building in Chinatown - finally started removing the big blue plywood sheets from the top floor yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations