HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:27 PM

Hey guys, I was just wondering, what are the biggest projects in SF that are 100% going to happen? So far the only one that comes to mind is the Transbay Terminal Redevelopment, plus a few condo towers. Are there any other large scale jobs currently under way or starting soon? Sorry if I seem clueless or if this has been answered before, I was just curious.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:21 PM

I took a few (phone) pictures yesterday of 2 new projects in the South Beach neighborhood:

178 Townsend is coming along...

And the project next to Momo's on Second St looks like it's almost topped out.

Sorry for the quality!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks 1977, good stuff.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:44 PM

Thanks 1977! It's like you read my mind, I was just wondering how those two projects were coming along.

Some news today about the Potrero Shopping Center via Socketsite
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Quote:
The site of the old San Francisco Seals Stadium until 1959 and currently home to a 227,000-square-foot strip mall anchored by a 60,000-square-foot Safeway, the Potrero Center at 2300 16th Street has been put up for sale.

Based on the size of the site, a redevelopment could yield up to 1,800 apartments.
Apparently, there is a maximum height of 85 ft for that lot, which could make for a nice street wall.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:38 PM

Some very rough plans have been unveiled for the Chronicle building and it's surrounding block (5th and Howard/Mission):

Quote:
Forest City unveils futuristic plan for Chronicle site
San Francisco Business Times
Date: Friday, November 18, 2011, 7:10am PST

Developer Forest City is proposing to build 1.3 million square feet of commercial space, 700 units of housing and a wide array of cultural and arts uses at Fifth and Mission streets, the four-acre San Francisco Chronicle site owned by the Hearst Corp.
The preliminary project assessment application, to be filed with the San Francisco Planning Department on Nov. 18, is the outgrowth of a two-year experiment at the 300,000-square-foot Chronicle building at 901 Mission St.
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...stic-plan.html

And some 'renderings' and more info here at SFGate:

Source: www.sfgate.com

Last edited by 1977; Nov 18, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Thanks 1977! It's like you read my mind, I was just wondering how those two projects were coming along.
Ha...I heard ya!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 10:20 PM

First reaction to the Forest City/ Chronicle building project ....Holly Molly! Then I said a little prayer.

Now I will read the article and gear up for a second reaction.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 10:09 PM

155 Fifth (between Mission and Howard) is getting a nice makeover courtesy of UOP.

From www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco:

Quote:
University of the Pacific bags SoMa building for $47M

University of the Pacific has closed its $47 million purchase of the former Wells Fargo office building at 155 Fifth St. and will establish a new San Francisco campus in the city’s South of Market district.

The 395,000-square-foot building will undergo a comprehensive $104 million renovation and is expected to open in mid-2014. The seller was Continental Development Corp. and TMG Partners.
Some renderings and the rest of the article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...bags-soma.html

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
155 Fifth (between Mission and Howard) is getting a nice makeover courtesy of UOP.

From www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco:

Some renderings and the rest of the article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...bags-soma.html
From their rendering, it looks like it will be a great improvement on what's already there. This announcement ties in well with Forrest City's Chronicle Project across the street. 5th street might end up becoming quite a destination.

Is the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society project still on for the Old Mint?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 12:54 AM

Here's some more info and renderings about the plans for 155 Fifth from University of the Pacific's website:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 6:14 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Team Picked For 300-Foot Tower (And More) At Folsom And Fremont

The development team of Chicago-based Golub & Company along with affordable housing partner Mercy Housing bid the most and has been picked by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency to develop 557 units of housing on Transbay blocks 6 and 7 between Beale and Fremont on Folsom.

The development team was one of four that responded to the city’s request for proposals last summer. In winning the agency staff nod, Golub and Mercy beat out Related Cos., Avant Housing, and Grosvenor Americas. Golub agreed to pay $30 million for the market-rate site, 36 percent more than the $22 million runner-up Related agreed to shell out. Avant proposed to pay $18.05 million. Grosvenor Americas offered $21 million. The city guidelines required that the chosen developer would have to pay a minimum of $18 million for the land.

As proposed, a 300-foot glass tower designed by One Rincon Hill designer Solomon Cordwell Buenz will rise at the corner of Folsom and Fremont with 407 units of market-rate housing and 150 affordable units designed by Santos Prescott and Associates rising in an assortment of buildings across the site.

The San Francisco Redevelopment Agency Board which still needs to approve the deal is expected to review the Agency recommendation on December 6. Construction is expected to start in 2013, assuming it's approved.
http://socketsite.com/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 7:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^I'm really glad they re-bid that. Originally, all the bids came in under their goal; this time, they all exceeded it. I can't wait for the transformation of Folsom. It will be unrecognizable in several years, which is great.

1977 - thanks for the updates on the South Beach projects. I keep forgetting those are underway.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:54 PM
San Francisco Citizen

Madrone Mission Bay Condo construction

Hi all,

Here's a video from early November showing how construction is progressing at The Madrone (formerly Radiance at Mission Bay). Has anyone heard how sales are going at the building?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

I read on a real estate website that pre-sales were pretty strong in October. But that's coming from a source that is generally bullish on these things.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:57 PM
San Francisco Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I took a few (phone) pictures yesterday of 2 new projects in the South Beach neighborhood:

178 Townsend is coming along...

And the project next to Momo's on Second St looks like it's almost topped out.

Sorry for the quality!
Here's another pic of 750 2nd - looks like it was almost taken the same day!

http://www.newconstructionsf.com/san...luxury-condos/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

this is from over this last weekend, sorry it's taken me a couple days to post. almost all the windows are in on phase I of Madrone:

over in the northwest corner of MB, they're still wrapping things up... seems about all of the planting is done in the southeast section. there are two lens-shaped patches between the curving sidewalk and the roadway - you can see one in the middle distance, and part of the other peeking in from the left side of this shot. I think both of them dip into a sort of shallow valley, I suppose to catch rain runoff:

this pic was taken a few feet to the left of the previous one and shows more of the other patch, with the center of the roundabout beyond:

speaking of the roundabout, the trees in the center have turned a nice deep red color. they still hadn't closed the holes in the streets yet; you can see the orange cones everywhere (this taken from the north side):

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:10 AM
Surrounded by Nature

You're the best timbad! Why did we stop using the Mission Bay thread?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
You're the best timbad! Why did we stop using the Mission Bay thread?
actually I had lost track of which thread I was in ... I copied my post to the MB thread

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:01 PM

Some updated renderings, a video, and more info about the new SFMOMA expansion...IMO, this looks pretty amazing.

Quote:
With 79 percent of the capital campaign goal raised two years ahead of the groundbreaking for the expansion of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), the museum's Board of Trustees has approved visitor- and city-friendly enhancements to the original design program and, in turn, has raised the capital campaign goal to $555 million from $480 million, an increase of 15 percent. These additional funds will enable the museum to increase the number and types of spaces dedicated to education, public engagement, exhibitions, collections, and programs. Expanding strategically on the conceptual design announcement made in May 2011, SFMOMA today unveiled new design details including ground-level galleries and orientation spaces that will be free to the public and new educational spaces throughout the museum. The design also features new pedestrian pathways that lead to and through the museum from the surrounding streets, creating a nexus for the neighborhood. The expansion is designed by architectural firm Snøhetta in collaboration with SFMOMA; groundbreaking is scheduled for summer 2013, and completion is projected in early 2016.

Source: http://www.sfmoma.org/about/press/pr...#ixzz1fDyuGqeU
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

Source: www.sfcitizen.com/

Source: www.sfcitizen.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:19 PM

I agree, just watched the video and it looks great!

After being in MoMA in NY this weekend, I think this new building will easily surpass that experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations