HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:49 AM

The Central Eastside Industrial Council appealed the approval of the Goat Blocks project. According to the DJC ($) the "Portland City Council tentatively denied an appeal of the design commission's conditional approval." It looks like a final decision will be made October 22nd.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 1:01 AM
A before E

Let's hope this gets approved because this project would be perfect for this vacant site.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:41 PM

The City Council this week upheld [PDF, small] the Design Commission's approval of the Goat Blocks project, and denied the Central Eastside Industrial Council's appeal. Permits are still under review.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The City Council this week upheld [PDF, small] the Design Commission's approval of the Goat Blocks project, and denied the Central Eastside Industrial Council's appeal. Permits are still under review.
Good! Why were they even opposing it in the first place? That's going to be an awesome development; I can't wait to watch it go up.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 9:02 PM

Industrial users are worried about being squeezed out of the inner eastside. Their appeal was based on two issues.

Firstly, they don't want a large housing development in the area, and believe that housing isn't compatible with the site zoning, which is "Central Employment." The Zoning Code describes residential uses as "allowed, but... not intended to predominate or set development standards for other uses in the area." This argument was rejected on the basis that that is an aspirational statement, and that residential uses are indeed allowed by default. Development Services and the Design Commission are not allowed to reject a proposal on the basis of it having a use that is automatically allowed.

Secondly, they're worried that the new street configuration won't allow large trucks to maneuver. They argued that the Design Commission doesn't have authority to approve street layout changes. This was also rejected, because the Design Commission actually hasn't approved a street layout change - this will be done by PBOT as part of the Building Permit application, which is under review right now. PBOT do provide assistance to Design Reviews, to ensure that the development proposal is ultimately something that they will later approve.

Now that the City Council have upheld the approval, there is the possibility of an appeal to the Land Use Board of Appeals (LUBA). While I am not a lawyer, I wouldn't expect a successful outcome for the CEIC.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 1:47 AM

Notice of Public hearing [PDF, small] for Central City Parking Review:

Quote:
Proposal: The applicant has proposed a large redevelopment project on a vacant multi-parcel site at SE 10th & Belmont Streets, which recently received Design Review approval in an appeal hearing before the Portland City Council (LU 14-125908 DZM AD, LOCA/”Goat Blocks”).
Regulations in the Central City plan district require a separate Central City Parking Review for the project, as there is commercial Growth parking included and more than 60 total parking spaces (33.510.265.A.4).

The project is being built on the large superblock between SE 10th and 11th Avenues, and SE Belmont and Taylor Streets. On this superblock portion, a single garage access is proposed from SE 10th Avenue, with parking for 100 Residential and 195 Growth (commercial) Parking spaces.

The project also includes site area east of SE 11th Avenue just south of Belmont Street, occupying most of the west half of this block with a 50’-0”-wide parcel connecting to SE 12th Avenue, as well. The ‘East Block’ will include parking for 39 Residential and 51 Growth Parking spaces, with driveways oriented to SE Belmont Street, SE 11th Avenue and SE 12th Avenue. Overall the applicant has proposed 139 Residential and 246 Growth Parking spaces.

Consistent with regulations in the Central City plan district, the applicant has requested the necessary Type III Central City Parking Review.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:53 AM

Holy crap thats a lot of parking...

I guess it appeases some, but i feel like its throwing money at unethical causes when we could be building smarter.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Holy crap thats a lot of parking...

I guess it appeases some, but i feel like its throwing money at unethical causes when we could be building smarter.
Maybe unethical, but also simply unpractical/wasteful. May want to consider a couple things (from bikeportland.org):

That cargo bike parking is becoming much more prevalent.

And some apartment buildings have yet to fill up parking.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:48 AM

It certainly is frustrating...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 8:19 PM

Staff report [PDF] recommends approval of the City Center Parking Review. Decision is by the Hearings Officer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:22 AM

I'm starting to hate staring at this empty lot.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 2:05 AM

All the technical reviews have been approved for the Excavation and Shoring permit. I would expect a permit to be issued next week.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
All the technical reviews have been approved for the Excavation and Shoring permit. I would expect a permit to be issued next week.
Great! It's in such a central location, I cannot see this do anything but succeed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 12:29 AM

Permit is Approved to Issue as of yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Permit is Approved to Issue as of yesterday.
Yes! This is going to make that neighborhood all the more awesome.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 10:37 PM

Site work has begun.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Site work has begun.
I saw a ton of heavy equipment parked there on Saturday, I assumed there had to be a reason.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Market of Choice, Orchard Supply coming to 'Goat Blocks' as construction gets underway

The redevelopment of Southeast Portland's Goat Blocks is getting underway after developers secured two major retail tenants and a construction loan.

Developer Killian Pacific of Vancouver, Wash., has signed leases with grocer Market of Choice for 26,000-square-foot store and retailer Orchard Supply Hardware for a 40,000-square-foot store. U.S. Bank will provide a $74 million construction loan.

With the tenants and financing lined up, construction has begun on what the developer is calling LOCA. It will open in the first half of 2017.

The two-block site at 1004 S.E. Belmont St. in Portland had been vacant since a 2002 fire claimed a warehouse and two restaurants. A few years ago, Killan Pacific brought in a herd of 50 goats to keep the site groomed, and the "Belmont Goats" became local celebrities.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 11:38 PM
A before E

That is fantastic news, so happy to see this project finally happening. I can definitely see it adding a lot of new life to that part of Belmont.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:12 AM

What the hell is "Market of Choice"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland